prelude

hindsight

***

In hindsight, Hyewon should have known that this was gonna go downhill fast.

‘No point dwelling on that anymore.  Now, if I could just figure out a way to get us out of this mess before the colonel comes home and kills us all.  Oh, and also before the general comes home, kills us too, revives me, then breaks up with me.  No pressure, Kwangbae.’  Hyewon thinks, as she assesses the situation for the nth time.

Hyewon silently thanks the heavens for giving her the ability to think clearly despite the noise surrounding her.

As she scans the room, her eyes land on two little figures huddled together far across from her.  They’re rattled and scared, but they’re also the calmer and more levelheaded ones.  She could definitely use their help.

Hyewon skirts on the side, maneuvering herself stealthily around the other occupants of the room to get to the other side.  Once there, she lightly tugs on her two younger members and pulls them farther from the center of the room.

“So, we’re in a lot of trouble,” Hyewon starts.

“Unnie~” the two simultaneously cry out.  Now that Hyewon is closer, she can see the terror in their eyes.  The sight strikes fear in her, but she steels herself not to show it.

“Hey, it’s gonna be okay.  We can fix this.  But I’m gonna need both your help.  I have a plan.”  Hyewon says, flashing the two her best reassuring smile.

The two look at her, still worried, then look at each other before nodding their heads.

***

“Okay, Nako-chan, Hii-chan, did you get everything?”

“Yes, unnie,” the two respond.  Hyewon does not miss the apprehension in their faces though.

“I know it’s risky, but it’s our best bet.”

“I know, unnie.  It’s just that… what if I mess up?  Once I mess up, then the entire plan messes up, and Eunbi unnie is gonna find out and disown us.  I don’t wanna be on Eunbi unnie’s bad side, unnie.”

“Okay, Nako-chan, breathe,” Hyewon holds the smaller girl by the shoulders to steady her.  “Come on, breathe with me… in… out.”

Nako did.  So did Hitomi.

“You got this.  I know you both do.”  Hyewon says, looking both her dongsaengs square in the eyes.

With one final deep breath, the three stood from where they’re huddled and went about with the plan.