Soyeon

Every Day I Learn (The Words You Never Say)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hi all, I'm sure you've noticed that the updates have slowed down. I started my job, and for that reason, updates will become far more scarce. I was writing 4 fics at once, but now I'm going to whittle down the load. Sadly, I will not be making this one a top priority. There's so much more plot to explore and character development to create. However, I feel like because my time is now much more limited, I can't do either world building or character dev well. Once I finish my main fic that I'm updating (Late Nights Make Me Love You), I'll probably come back to this. But, I can't promise an update schedule. I'm sorry, thank you for always reading and motivating me to keep writing, and I'll see you all soon. Be well and stay safe.

 

-----------

 

Soyeon followed Cheetah out of the tent and into the rain. Back in the tent, Miyeon stood guard with Yuqi, who sat with Krystal and Amber. Soojin and Minnie watched over Moonbyul with Shuhua and the Neverland healer fussing over her.

 

A page standing outside handed Soyeon a fresh oilskin cape.

 

“General Cheetah said for us to provision you all with new gear,” he mumbled, looking at Soyeon’s knee.

 

She took it with a small word of thanks, swirling her borrowed oilskin over her shoulders. It provided some respite from the freezing rain. Already, her hands were starting to feel numb. She beat them savagely against her chest to restart the circulation. In front of her, Cheetah stopped and waited for Soyeon under a leather awning housing a few soldiers.

 

“My scouts said Yongsun is about five minutes ride away. What do you want to do with her?”

 

Soyeon considered the question. It looked as if Cheetah had enough soldiers to completely quash any force Yongsun could muster. Yet, she didn’t know if she could look Moonbyul in the face if she had Yongsun slaughtered. Someone tapped Soyeon’s shoulder and she turned around and saw a defiant looking Moonbyul being held up by Soojin and Minnie.

 

“What—you shouldn’t be here! You should be resting,” Soyeon hissed angrily, watching as even now, blood trickled down the side of Moonbyul’s face.

 

“Isn’t that a bit rich coming from you, considering you slashed me in the first place?” Moonbyul sniggered.

 

Soyeon folded her arms.

 

“We both know I had to do what was necessary. But this—this is stupid. Get back under cover and let me handle Yongsun.”

 

But Moonbyul’s face hardened and Soyeon reminded herself that this was Captain Moonbyul of the Royal Guard.

 

“Fat chance of that happening,” Moonbyul snapped. “Don’t worry about me. I’m strong enough.” As if to prove her point, she tugged her arms out of Soojin and Minnie’s hands and stood, swaying in the mud. “See?” But all of a sudden, her knees gave away and but for Soojin snagging her around the waist with her lightning fast reflexes, she would’ve crumpled into the dirt.

 

Soyeon simply raised both of her eyebrows.

 

“I—I need to do this,” Moonbyul spoke between gritted teeth as she clawed her way upright again. But she didn’t refuse Soojin and Minnie’s hands.

 

“Let her stay,” Cheetah interrupted from the side, a mysterious expression on her face. “It’ll be for the best.”

 

Soyeon saw Soojin open as if to retort, but Soyeon shook her head. Soojin clamped shut again and let Moonbyul lean against her. Minnie tilted her head toward Soyeon who turned her ear toward her.

 

“What’re you going to do?” Minnie whispered, her voice mixing with the steady drumming of the raindrops. “Are we going to kill Yongsun?”

 

Soyeon shrugged. “Let’s see what she wants first, okay?” she replied. “She might want to form a truce.”

 

“I don’t think Shuhua will be all right with that. Where is she? She should be here to negotiate with Yongsun,” Cheetah said in a decisive voice.

 

“She’s back in the tent. I told her I’ll tell her to come out once Yongsun is here,” Soojin supplied helpfully, arms still around Moonbyul. Soyeon was glad Shuhua wasn’t here to see this—otherwise she’d have to deal with the princess harping on Soojin for god knows how long.

 

“Should I tell Shuhua to come out now?” Soojin asked Cheetah and Soyeon, her voice trailing up uncertainly at the end of the sentence.

 

Cheetah turned to Soyeon who looked back at Soojin and gave her a nod.

 

“Roger that.” Soojin carefully slipped from under Moonbyul and helped Minnie shoulder her load. “Be right back.”

 

All of them watched Soojin’s retreating figure through the mist.

 

“If I’m not mistaken, here they come,” Cheetah’s grim voice echoed throughout the group.

 

Sure enough, a mass of bodies and horses started taking form through the curtains of rain. Soyeon recognized a few of the soldiers—mostly old hands who decided to stay on serving under Yongsun’s new rule. Even though Yongsun had told Soyeon she took over because she wanted to strengthen her country, she had trouble recruiting new soldiers. People were so unused to the idea of a strong military that no one signed up. Yongsun had initiated a forced conscription but she didn’t have the existing strength to make young men to enlist. The whole coup really turned into a farce, and Soyeon was glad she wasn’t in Yongsun’s position.

 

“Watch this,” Cheetah commanded in an undertone.

 

Just as Yongsun’s soldiers were about to ride into camp, Cheetahs’ men streamed in from the sides, blocking off access. They quickly surrounded Yongsun’s paltry group, spears down and pointed at the soldiers. Cheetah beckoned to Soyeon and together they strode out into the rain.

 

Soyeon could hear Moonbyul limping behind them, cursing lightly with each step. Soyeon sighed. Nevertheless, she turned and walked back toward Minnie and Moonbyul, ducking under Moonbyul’s free arm and supporting Moonbyul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter