Yuqi

Every Day I Learn (The Words You Never Say)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Happy birthday to our Song Yuqi! You're doing great Yuqi =D

 

----

 

Yuqi watched as Shuhua fell back into one of her long reveries. She had grown increasingly accustomed to them over the past two days. Yuqi looked over her shoulder. Soojin, Krystal, Amber, and Moonbyul still were talking in hushed voices. Both Krystal and Soojin had their weapons out, blades glinting faintly in the dark.

 

Drip.

 

A large raindrop splattered on Yuqi’s nose and she sneezed. The sound echoed throughout the forest and she clapped a hand over . Soojin gave her a hard glare.

 

“Sorry!” Yuqi mouthed over to her.

 

She tilted her head back and watched as more raindrops fell from the thick clouds overhead.

 

What time was it? Probably past midnight?

 

It’s my birthday today then, Yuqi thought to herself. No one had mentioned anything yet, and normally she’d be upset if no one remembered. But considering that they were escaping from a bloodthirsty usurper, Yuqi decided to not bring it up.

 

What do I want for my birthday?

 

She knew the answer to that question. All she could see was Minnie’s bright grin in her mind. Minnie, in her splendid golden regalia as a knight of the King’s Guard, with her long pink hair flowing over her shoulders and down her muscled back. She’d kneel at Yuqi’s feet and proffer a rose, rising to kiss Yuqi on the forehead before pressing her lips to Yuqi’s.

 

Happy birthday, Yuqi-ah, Minnie would whisper against Yuqi’s lips.

 

Like Soojin, Minnie didn’t come from a noble family. Yet her prowess with her bow and famed stealth made Soyeon personally scout her out and offer her a position with the King’s Guard. The stories the King’s Guard told about Minnie piqued Yuqi’s interest and she started to take notice of the bright pink hair bobbing around the courtyard.  

 

“I like that you’re also a commoner,” Yuqi first told Minnie when they met by chance in the apple orchard. “Can we be friends?”

 

Minnie had given her an unhesitating smile, eyes almost closing as she dipped her head. Yuqi nearly dropped the apple she’d been holding. The way Minnie gave her her full attention, how her eyes focused completely on Yuqi, as if Yuqi's words were of the utmost importance. Yuqi felt something settle deep into her chest, partially closing the gaping hole Soyeon had left. Unbidden, she moved closer to Minnie until they touched. Minnie didn’t back away though. She stood still, as if afraid she’d be the one to scare away Yuqi.

 

That’s when Yuqi knew she found her sun.

 

But now, even the moon was gone. Yuqi couldn’t still her trembling hands, cold and wet from the rain. Minnie had been gone for over two hours, and Soyeon ordered everyone to ride away after that amount of time elapsed. She stole a glance at Soojin who still was engaged in conversation with Moonbyul.

 

“Should we leave here?” Yuqi called out in a hushed voice.

 

Soojin and Moonbyul both looked at her before turning to each other. They whispered something and Moonbyul shook her head. Soojin brushed the wet strands of hair out of her eyes and looked back at Yuqi.

 

“Let’s give them another ten minutes,” Soojin replied.

 

Yuqi nodded. Behind her, she heard Shuhua make a noise like an angry cat.

 

“I swear if Moonbyul doesn’t get off of Soojin’s horse I’m going to kill her myself,” Shuhua growled in a low tone, her eyes never leaving Moonbyul and Soojin.

 

Yuqi chuckled and reached out for Shuhua’s hand.

 

“Shuhua, it’s all right. There’s nothing going on between them. Moonbyul loves Yongsun and Soojin loves you.”

 

Shuhua didn’t stop glaring daggers at Moonbyul but Yuqi could see her frame soften.

 

“Fine.”

 

The rain thickened, soaking them to the bone. Before leaving the safehouse, Soyeon distributed oilskins to everyone, but in this downpour, the skins simply delayed the inevitable. Yuqi’s breath frosted in the night and she could feel Shuhua shivering. Yuqi pulled her hand out of Shuhua’s and started to remove her coat but Shuhua stilled her.

 

“You’re just as cold as I am, Yuqi.”

 

“But I don’t want you to get sick.”

 

The corner of Shuhua’s lips lifted and she patted Yuqi’s hand.

 

“I won’t get sick. Keep it on.”

 

Yuqi re-clasped the metal brooch holding the oilskin together at . Somehow, even though Yuqi was supposed to take care of Shuhua, Shuhua was the one taking care of her.

 

Yuqi remembered once, during spring, when she and Shuhua hid in the owlery for an entire day to play a prank on Soojin. They hadn’t thought to bring jackets and after dark, the temperature plummeted to below freezing. Yuqi thought Shuhua was going to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter