Flashbacks Part 1

Every Day I Learn (The Words You Never Say)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Flashbacks

 

--

 

The sound of screams jolted Shuhua out of her sleep. Soojin already was standing in front of her bedroom door, sword drawn. She put a finger to her lips and motioned for Shuhua to get dressed. Shuhua stumbled out of her bed and started pulling on her court clothes. Soojin leaned against the door, ear pressed against the wood, listening intently to the clash of blades outside.

 

--

 

“Nooooo!” Soyeon roared as she struggled against the four muscular men pinning her to the floor. “Please don’t do this!”

 

But it was too late. Yongsun stood in the middle of the King’s chambers, dagger crimson in the torchlight. Lying at her feet was Soyeon’s mentor, father figure, and best friend, the King. A pool of blood slowly grew around his prone body as his life leaked out of him. Next to him lay his lifeless wife, her eyes wide open in terror. The motionless bodies of the rest of the King’s guard littered the floor. Soyeon screamed and thrashed fiercely against her captors but to no avail. They were too strong and she’d never win in a fight of strength. So she had no choice but to watch as Yongsun took the throne.

 

--

 

Minnie stalked through the shadowy hallways, swiftly making her way to the Princess’s quarters. She rapped on the door and whispered through the crack, “it’s me Minnie!”

 

The door opened slightly and Minnie slipped in.

 

“What’s happening?” Soojin asked, securely bolting the door shut behind her.

 

Minnie just shook her head sadly and turned to Shuhua.

 

“Your family has been killed.”

 

Shuhua’s face drained of color and she swayed on her feet. Soojin leapt forward and caught Shuhua just as she fell to the floor in a faint. Minnie stepped forward but whirled around as she heard a stampede of footsteps outside the room.

 

“Minnie, hide! I’ll beg for Shuhua’s life!” Soojin ordered frantically.

 

“What? No! You’re going to be killed! I’m standing with you!” Minnie snarled as she pulled her bow from her back and notched an arrow to the string.

 

“Don’t be an idiot! If we both die everything is over! It’ll work, I promise! Just hide now!”  

 

Minnie opened but couldn’t argue against Soojin’s logic. She gave a hiss of frustration and quickly jumped into Shuhua’s closet just as the door burst open.

 

--

 

“Now, now, what do we have here?” Yongsun lazily said as she stepped through the splintered doorway. She looked down at Soojin who was crouched on the floor holding Shuhua  protectively in her arms. Behind her crowded fifty of her loyal guards, the very ones who slaughtered the King’s guard and the royal family. Well, save for the one lying unconscious in front of her.

 

“Take out the trash, Moonbyul,” Yongsun carelessly said. Her knight stepped forward, purple hair streaming in the flickering torchlight. She raised her rapier. Soojin scowled as she softly laid Shuhua on the floor and picked up her own sword. But just as suddenly she dropped it and prostrated herself at Yongsun’s feet.

 

“Please! Spare us! I’ll swear my loyalty to you and make sure Shuhua does too!” Soojin cried, pressing her forehead into the cold stone.

 

Yongsun giggled. “You’ll have to try harder than that. Moonbyul, make sure to tickle her well with your sword before you end her life.”

 

But Moonbyul didn’t move.

 

“I will not execute someone begging for her life,” she stoically said, lowering her rapier.

 

“Please! It’ll be advantageous for your rule if you have the heir to the throne endorsing your power! If you destroy the entire royal bloodline there’s no telling if the rest of the country will seek to obey you!” Soojin pleaded again.

 

Yongsun thought as she her chin. What this lowly guard said was true, her rule could be strengthened if the countryfolk thought the royal family wanted her in power. She had planned on killing the entire bloodline and blaming it on Soyeon, but this was a more elegant solution.

 

"Minister, what Seo Soojin says is true. Your new rule will be immeasurably strengthened with the support of the last of the Royal Family," Moonbyul said, rapier still lowered.

 

That made up Yongsun's mind. She snapped her fingers.

 

“Lock these two up. I’ll figure out wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter