.2.

Simply, yours.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You came out of the office still shocked, your body movements a bit stiff. Sukyeong was giving you a wary look from behind of her glasses and watched you all the way till your touched the cushion of your office chair.

“You look like you have been sacked,” she commented, unable to keep it in.

Gulping, you realised your throat went dry. Reaching out for your tea cup, you picked it up to take a sip but noticed it was empty. Right. You have spilled its contents on your skirt that still had the wet stain.

What do you do now? Why aren’t you feeling as good as you thought you would after receiving your first promotion?

Perhaps you needed some time. After all, the result would be shown on your bank account, not through your emotions or the behaviour of your boss.

“I-I got promoted,” you finally let out, staring at Sukyeong.

To say she was surprised was an understatement. Her eyes widened and she took her glasses off to get a better look. “Don’t tell me it is because of Bina.”

“It is,” you mumbled. “Did you know she got fired?”

“Oh, yes, I heard but so suddenly? Nobody knows why.”

“Yeah,” you raised your eyebrows, nodding, before telling the truth “She got pregnant. That’s why.”

Sukyeong’s eyes darkened. “No way! No freaking way! You have got to be kidding me.” She went silent for a second, obviously the information still loading in her brain. “He fired her because she got pregnant? Is he stupid?”

“Apparently, the company doesn’t want a useless workforce.” You went on explaining the whole meeting, ending it with his proposal (decision) to promote you to her position.

Sukyeong was a very kind and genuine person at heart that rarely showed negative emotions. It was quite shocking to see her explode (in a neat manner) about the whole situation.

Eventually, she looked at you, then at the phone resting on the top of your table. “It is good news for you, though. This way you can lead a more comfortable life with Baekhyun. You should let him know right now. He will be so happy and proud of you.”

You bit your lip. Sukyeong wasn’t informed about the little condition called pregnancy that your boss made you indirectly promise. You felt it was too personal and uncomfortable to tell her. Or maybe you were scared she would tell you how stupid and out of your mind you were.

“I will tell him,” you heard yourself mumble, zoning out into your little bubble.

 You didn’t tell him when you came home. It wasn’t like you didn’t have enough chances throughout the day. You and Baekhyun were constantly in touch through your phones, writing silly messages or small updates on what the other was doing.

You could have told him then.

Yet, as you were preparing your evening tea and heard him listing through his textbooks, there was not a chance to even start the conversation. He needed to be focused.

And anyway! How inconvenient would have the whole situation been? There was no way you could afford to… start a family. He knew it. You knew it. It would be a massive burden for both of you; physically for you, for him financially. He needed to finish his PhD. No time for children. He needed to focus on his career in hapkido. No time for children. He-

You hissed in pain as you, guess what, spilled your tea straight on your left hand. You weren’t even holding the cup; you hit it with the back of your hand by accident, causing Baekhyun to look up from his textbook, his forehead slightly scrunched.

“You alright, love?” he stood up from the small table, walking to you.

“Mhm.” You took two quick steps reaching for the tap, letting cold water relief the throbbing skin.

Baekhyun was next to you within a second. He grabbed your hand, quickly looking at it. “, Y/N, that’s really bad,” he murmured seriously while observing the skin.

“It’s nothing, c'mon,” you answered, playing it cool by giving him an eye roll with a smile.

“That could easily be a bad burn,” he placed your hand back under the water and looked at you. “Be careful next time.”

Forcing a bigger smile, you nodded but-

“Is something wrong?” He caressed your back gently. “You are not one to be clumsy usually.”

“All is good,” you nodded cheerfully, maybe a tad too fast.

He was analysing you. He knew you like the back of his hand. “Did the idiot try something at work again?” he asked, his voice lower now.

“What? Oh, no, not at all, please!”

“Why are you laughing like I just guessed correctly?”

“Because you haven’t guessed correctly, hihi.”

“So there is something to be guessed,” his eyes shone in challenge.

“No, Baekhyun, there isn’t. However, you will need to guess correctly at your exams, so go back to studying. I’ll prepare some fruit for you.”

“Not with that hand,” he argued, closed the tap and grabbed a towel to dry your hand. “You will sit next to me and give me strength while I’m studying.”

You snorted. “I am pretty sure that will be a productive study session.”

He raised his eyebrows at you with a wide smile.

 You did end up studying. Baekhyun was preparing a report to be handed in next week about his current workplace where he was teaching hapkido. The wonderful way his experiences, memories and plans were coming out of his mouth while you were trying to type it all out on his laptop was something that made your heart warm. Baekhyun was satisfied where he was in life. You don’t need anything more.

“Now the elementary school one,” he said, deep in thought as he was going through his notes. “The kids are sometimes a pain in the . Therefore, a hapkido professor-to-be shall have high levels of patience while kindness and eternal love shows through his guidance in order to reach the utmost peace while practicing hapkido.”

You were typing quickly until you realised what he was dictating in the academic language. It made you look up at his shiny eyes. “Ya, what is this. Your sarcasm will not go unnoticed with-”

He bursted out into fit of loud laughters, giggling on your expression. “I was wondering if you are even listening to what I am saying.”

“Of course I was,” you smacked his arm. “Kids. Talking about kids.”

He came closer to your face on all fours like a puppy he was. “I want to have some as well.”

You gave out a snort though your heart jumped in anticipation before your entire positive mood deflated with the situation you suddenly appeared in at work. “Some? It’s not like asking for apples, you know, my love?” you responded gently, quickly glancing at his stretched out lips. You glanced back at his eyes just to catch him also stare at your mouth.

“You haven’t thought about it at all?”

Oh no…

“How did you get to this topic? We were talking about kids in your hapkido class,” you tried to avoid the inevitable.

He shrugged, biting his lover lip as he examined your eyes now. You could feel his breath on your lips. “Exact

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter