Before The Boundary

Love Knows No Boundary

A/N: Hello! An update is ready (I know, so soon, even I am shocked), enjoy~ This time, wishing everyone a good Christmas Eve! 

-----------------

"Good morning Manager Kim, welcome to BlackPink Inc.," says Director Kim Jisoo as she extends out her hand.

"Thank you, director Kim." The operations manager, Mr Kim Taehyung from BTS label returns the greeting with a firm handshake.

After receiving the team and inviting them into the meeting room, Secretary Park makes sure that everyone is well settled before leaving. Jisoo is still outside with Nayeon as Chaeyoung is in there to buy some time.

"Nayeon, did you know that he is the operations manager of BTS Label?"

"To be honest, I don't know. I have been liaising with the fashion department. It is only until yesterday night that they are sending someone else to attend the meeting," replies Nayeon and she asks in a concerned tone, "are you alright?"

Jisoo returns with a smile to reassure her best friend, "yes, I am. I would probably be able to handle this but this makes the chances of clinching the deal even harder."

Nayeon gives Jisoo a pat on the back and says, "don't worry, I will do my best in the presentation."

"Let's do our best," says Jisoo. She takes a deep breath and enters the meeting room with Nayeon to start the meeting.

-----------------

"We are going to share our marketing strategy for our collaboration brand, BTS x The Black Label. We have a roster of models under our label. They will be sharing their experiences and stories while taking elements from the design of the clothes. We will start the campaign online," Designer Im starts off the pitch.

The meeting room feels really tense. Jisoo can only observe Mr Kim's expression and pray that everything goes well. Not getting any response, Jisoo continues the pitch confidently, "as you know that Kpop is very popular in Japan, especially Winner, Ikon and Pink Punk from Kang Entertainment. We have recently clinched a deal with them for our new line of smartphones. Since we are also planning to have a fashion show to promote our clothes, we can also collaborate with the idols and invite them to walk on the stage in addition to promoting our outfits while they are on their promotion cycle."

After the short pitch, the team from BTS Label finally nods their heads and Manager Kim replies, "That is a good idea. To make sure that we are on the same page, you are saying that we will kickstart with a pre-launch through social media and in our fashion show using the models and idols from The Black Label and Kang Entertainment. I assume that once the pre-launch is over, we can start with online and physical store sales, right?"

Both Jisoo and Nayeon nod in agreement and they have successfully clinched a multi-million dollar deal with BTS Label. Nayeon is especially excited to start this project after months of liaising. On the other hand, Jisoo heaves a sigh of relief internally, glad that things are going well.

Nayeon then takes over to explain the plan in more details and after an hour or so of discussion, they are finally done with the meeting. Jisoo stands and walks towards Manager Kim, extending out her hand again for a final handshake.

"Thank you for coming all the way from Japan, Mr Kim. We hope to have a great collaboration with BTS Label."

"Thank you, Director Kim, we hope to have a good collaboration too."

After a non-stop thanking and bowing, the team from BTS Label exits the meeting room, leaving Mr Kim in the meeting room with Jisoo and Nayeon. He closes the door and finally loosens up.

He says to his long time friends, "hey, it has been a long time, Jisoo, Nayeon."

"Oh my, Taehyung! I was holding back from hugging you! It's good to have the three of us together again." Nayeon replies and goes forward to hug her other best friend. Meanwhile, Jisoo is standing at the side awkwardly but gives Taehyung a hug as the guy still has his arm outstretched in front of him after Nayeon has hugged him. Jisoo returns the hug, although a little awkwardly.

"I missed you," Taehyung whispered into Jisoo's ear. She mumbles back before releasing the hug, "me too. I am sorry."

Nayeon who is oblivious to the slight awkwardness between Taehyung and Jisoo continues the small reunion, "so, when are you flying back to Japan? Let's have dinner before you fly back."

The guy stops staring at Jisoo and faces Nayeon with a huge smile, "I will be here for a month." He then looks at his watch before returning to maintain eye contact with Nayeon, "my vacation officially starts now, after the meeting."

"Is that why you wanted to attend the meeting?" Nayeon asks before punching the guy on the arm lightly. The guy replies, "yea, of course. You know, when I heard that my team is collaborating with you guys, I really wanted to come back. I purposely applied for my vacation to coincide with the meeting. Goodness, it has been years right?"

This time, Jisoo manages to open and says, "3 years."

The three of them remain silent, with Taehyung and Jisoo looking at each other, as for the latter, she tries to avoid eye contact as much as possible. Soon, there is a knock on the door, revealing Jennie, who enters the meeting room to look for Nayeon.

"Ms Im, I hope that I am not interrupting but we have to get to another meeting soon," says the young intern as she reports to her boss, Ms Im. In response to that, Nayeon remembers the external meeting and says, "Oh right, the one with Once&Twice. I am done with this meeting. Let's go back to my office and pack up before we head off together."

Before Jennie closes the door, she takes a good look at the familiar-looking guy next to Jisoo before smiles shyly at Jisoo. The young intern gives her a slight discrete wave. Meanwhile, Jisoo softens at the interaction and that did not go unnoticed by Taehyung. 

"Guys, I have to head off for an important meeting. Why don't you two catch up first? Taehyung, don't forget our dinner reunion! Jisoo, let me know once you guys have discussed it!" Nayeon tells her friends, patting them on the back to make sure that they do not forget about their next gathering. Before Nayeon leaves, Jisoo whispers to her, "let Jennie be involved in BTS x The Black Label collab since it would be a good experience."

The designer nods and replies in a hushed voice, "of course, Jennie is really excited about this collaboration too."

After Nayeon leaves the room, this leaves Taehyung and Jisoo alone. The guy clears his throat before speaking up, "so, are you free right now?"

Jisoo, still feeling really awkward, replies, "not really, I got to go back to my desk and you know, work."

Taehyung is not stupid to not notice the awkwardness that the woman is exuding and sighs. He asks, "how did we become so awkward? I am not mad about it anymore."

Jisoo doesn't want to start an argument with the other since they just reunited and says, "why not leave your contact number. We can have lunch later."

"Sure, I would love that," replies Taehyung with his oh ever charming smile, hopeful after hearing the invitation to lunch by the other.

-----------------

Jennie is helping Nayeon with the preparation for her boss' meeting with Once&Twice. She is currently interning as an assistant designer/ personal assistant to the famous designer. She has learnt a lot for the past month and is settling well into her internship. By now, she is very familiar with Ms Im's habits and routine. Within 5 minutes, they are ready to head off to Once&Twice office.

On the way there, Nayeon tells Jennie about the collaboration between BTS X The Black Label. She is also briefing the young intern about her tasks but it is subjected to change since the details are not finalised yet. Though Jennie is paying attention and taking notes, her mind can't help but remember the guy in the crisp dark green suit earlier.

She remembers the first time she was at Jisoo's office.

- Flashback -

"Oh, isn't this the fashion designer, Designer Im Nayeon?" asked Jennie as she picked up the photo frame that was on Jisoo's desk. The photo frame held a collection of Jisoo with two other people, a girl and a guy, from childhood until recent times. Jennie could definitely recognise Jisoo from the picture, given the same cheeky smile the other had ever since she was a child. As for the other two, she recognised the face that belonged to the famous fashion designer and quickly pointed it out.

"Yea, it is Nayeon." Jisoo held onto the left side of the photo frame and stared at the pictures fondly. Jennie was quite shocked to find out that Jisoo knew Nayeon personally.

"By the way, just so you know and to brag about it, The Black Label is under BlackPink Inc."

"Really? I am starting to think that every company in the country is under BlackPink Inc."

"I think about 80%?"

Jennie was trying her best to look impressed. She then asked a burning question,  "who is that guy?"

"My other best friend. I knew him since I was a little kid. We are childhood friends. We both met Nayeon later when we were in high school."

Jennie nodded and looked at the pictures. The two of them must be really close since they have pictures together at every important milestone such as kindergarten graduation, primary school graduation and middle school graduation. It was only until high school and college graduation that Jennie saw the 3 people posing together.

- End of Flashback -

-----------------

Jisoo returns back to her office after the short reunion with Taehyung. She has noticed how Chaeyoung looks at her as she walks past her secretary's desk.

"I know that you are dying to ask me something. I will let it slide for today. Come in. I will tell you now."

Chaeyoung immediately gets up and follows Jisoo behind. She closes the door after they have entered the office.

"Was that Taehyung oppa?" Chaeyoung asks carefully. Hoping not to say anything wrong that could make Jisoo upset.

"Yea, it was. Jisoo replies and says with a huge sigh, "life is rather twisted."

Chaeyoung tries to cheer her cousin up and says, "I heard that the meeting went well. We've clinched the deal."

"Yea but you know, our history," Jisoo continues to be worried. This time, Chaeyoung doesn't bother to be sensitive and replies, "childhood friend turned runaway bride to becoming business partners. Even I find it messy."

Not that the older minded it. She drops whatever formality at the moment, returning back to cousin mode, "don't remind me of that. Me being a runaway bride made that old man really pissed. He tried to bring it up again during our recent family dinner."

Chaeyoung laughs at her older cousin's plight but says, "at least you didn't regret it right?"

"I am glad that it turned out this way." Jisoo smiles as she thinks of Jennie. If she hadn't been a runaway bride, she would be Mrs Kim Taehyung. She wouldn't be able to experience true love. However, Jisoo feels an unsettling feeling in her with Taehyung's return.

"It's temporary," she reminds herself. After wrapping up the conversation, Chaeyoung heads back to her cubicle while Jisoo busies herself with work until lunchtime.

-----------------

It is finally lunchtime. Everyone in the office is getting excited as PCs are shutting down one by one and feet are shuffling towards the pantry and the elevator. However, it is evident that only someone is not as excited.

Jisoo takes the name card that is on her table and dials the number. She couldn't even take a deep breath before the phone is answered by someone with a very eager voice.

"Hello?"

"Erm, hello, Taehyung?"

"Yes, Jisoo?"

"Shall we have lunch at our favourite Korean food place? Do want me to pick you up?"

"It's alright, I am already here. Kinda guessed that you would mention this place."

"Alright, I will see you there in 10."

"Bye, drive safe."

Jisoo smiles slightly. Even though they have to keep in touch for the past 3 years, it still doesn't erase the fact that Taehyung knows her well. She picks her belongings and heads off to the eatery.

-----------------

"Taehyung raises his hand as soon as he spots Jisoo entering the eatery. He then smoothens out the cushion and invites the girl to sit opposite him. He then passes her the menu.

"Should we get the usual?" asks Jisoo and Taehyung nods, knowing exactly what is their usual order. He then signals to the waiter to take the order. After they are done, he pours water for both of them.

"How have you been?" Jisoo starts the conversation.

Taehyung looks at Jisoo and smiles brightly, "great. I have been working a lot." He then takes a sip of water and continues, "after that day, when you left, I just packed everything and left for Japan."

The woman feels apologetic. It is one of the days that she would not forget. Her action of running away from the altar has caused so much embarrassment, not only to her own family but also Taehyung's. From that day onwards, not only their friendship had fallen out but also the friendship between their fathers.

"I heard from my mother that even your parents left the country," says Jisoo, slightly embarrassed but hides it by drinking water. The guy tells her to not worry too much and clarifies, although not revealing the entire truth, "anyways, they always wanted to start a private practice in the States. They have a joint medical centre and dental clinic in Beverly Hills."

Beverly Hills sounds really impressive to Jisoo but knowing how kind Taehyung is for not blaming her for her bad decision, she once again apologises, "I'm sorry, Tae."

"Don't worry about it. It took me quite a while to get over it but it is all cool. Just treat me like how we were back then," replies Taehyung as he reassures the other by holding onto her left hand, squeezing it slightly. He savoured the touch by letting it linger a little longer before letting go once the server comes over with the side dishes. They begin to tuck into the food happily, enjoying the company of each other after years of separation.

"Here, your favourite," Taehyung picks the side dishes for Jisoo and puts it on top of her bowl of rice. Jisoo thanks him and they start to talk about everything and anything that comes to mind. The guy smiles, heartened that they are really back to the days when they are still friends. He is hopeful. Jisoo, on the other hand, is glad to spend time with her long time friend.

-----------------

A/N pt 2: so it's Taehyung! Their relationship is not so defined here but let's see how it goes :)