Love Knows No Boundary

Love Knows No Boundary

A/N: Hello everyone! Happy Lunar New Year! Been busy for the past 1.5 months trying to adjust back to zoom-less Uni life. It has been hectic :') Once again, so sorry for the lack of update but I have to say that this is the last chapter for this story TT (sorry to end it like that TT). Thank you for supporting this series and see you all probably in my short stories collection series!

Anyways, towards the end of the series, I was inspired by the Kdrama that I have watched last Dec. It is "The Startup". Do support the drama if you have not watched it. Quite inspirational~

Enjoy and see you all next time!

-----------------

- One Year Later -

Working on the start-up for the past year has been an amazing time for Jisoo. She is rather fortunate to be able to finance her own start-up. Moreover, her previous connections helped to speed things up. She is finally profiting after launching many service-based apps targeting different groups. Through this start-up, she has also found the satisfaction of helping those in need. Though there were countless sleepless nights, disagreements and self-studying, all the hard work has shown finally shown fruits of labour.

Now that the company has profited and it is almost the end of the year, she decides to bring her team out for their first formal company dinner at a casual Korean eatery.

"Isn't that Jennie?" whispers Chaeyoung, nudging Jisoo and subtly pointing towards the direction at where Jennie is as they enter the eatery. Jisoo stares at the familiar back, not responding to her cousin. That makes Chaeyoung ask, "should we go somewhere else?"

"It's fine, the waiter has found us a table. Let's follow the rest in," replies the older woman, realising that her other team members have entered the restaurant.

The waiter leads the team to a table that is a few tables away and at the side opposite to where Jennie is sitting. As her team members begin to sit, the only seat left allows for Jisoo to have a clear view of Jennie's back. She gladly takes the seat, smiling slightly at Chaeyoung who is trying to signal her to switch places. Jisoo then passes the menu to her team members to take her mind off Jennie. While they are discussing what to order, Jisoo is trying hard to concentrate on what they are discussing. However, her eyes keep trying to focus on that familiar back view.

Soon, Taehyung approaches them, pulling a chair from an empty table to join them.

"You made it on time," says Jisoo, passing her menu to Taehyung.

"Can't miss out on the first dinner right? Besides, I am one of the major investors," says Taehyung, teasing Jisoo. He then asks while flipping through the menu, "anyways, did I miss anything?"

Chaeyoung then replies, "not yet, we are still choosing. Since you are late, the bill is on you, Oppa."

"He rushed here from the airport, spare him," Jisoo replies on behalf of the guy. Instead, Taehyung announces to everyone on the table, "it's fine. Order whatever you want. This meal is on me."

"Thank you! Do continue to invest in us!" one of the software developer chimes in and that makes Taehyung reply, "of course!"

After their orders are taken, the waiters begin to serve soju and makgeolli that Chaeyoung has ordered. Everyone except for Jisoo and Taehyung toast with their alcohol.

"No more alcohol, unnie?" Chaeyoung teases Jisoo and the older replies but eyes still fixed on someone, "I had enough alcohol from that time. No more for me."

-----------------

After dinner, Jisoo leaves with Taehyung, driving him back to his apartment. Before driving off, Taehyung who has noticed everything earlier, asks, "you didn't manage to fix what happened a year ago?"

Jisoo clearly understands what he is referring to and replies, "I... we just don't work well."

Soon, the atmosphere becomes really silent and rather uncomfortable, particularly for Taehyung. He feels bad for what he had done a year ago.

"Jisoo, I... I have been keeping something from you," Taehyung confesses. He knows that this would break their friendship but what Jisoo revealed to him earlier made him feel really bad. He feels that telling the truth would at least lessen the burden even if it doesn't solve anything.

"Remember that day when I visited you while you were moping in your home? Actually..." Taehyung starts to reveal everything bit by bit but when it comes to the main point, he chokes. The words refused to budge. He swallows the lump in his throat before continuing, "Jennie... she actually came to visit you."

Now that the story has been revealed, the next few words he wants to utter becomes even more painful. He takes a deep breath before apologising, "I'm sorry, so sorry for keeping this from you."

Jisoo closes her eyes after hearing the revelation. She did feel anger building inside her when she heard that Taehyung has been keeping this from her but what has been done is already done. She can't be mad at Taehyung when she didn't enough bother to approach Jennie herself. She understands that Taehyung did that to protect her but she still asks, "why?"

"I... part of me still love you but I just want to protect you. I could tell that you two aren't on good terms but I have to admit that my feelings towards you were more dominant than the thoughts of protecting you from any more pain. I am sorry, I screwed up big time."

Jisoo unbuckles the seatbelt, giving Taehyung a hug. She whispers into his ear, "thank you, Taehyung. I know that you just want to help me feel better at that time." She breaks the hug but leans back onto her seat, turning to face the guy, "but Taehyung, you do know that I just see you as my best friend."

"I know, I know. It took me a good 25 years to realise that. After seeing how you looked at Jennie just now, I know I really screwed it up."

"If we are meant to be, Jennie and I would still be dating. Maybe this is just fate. At least my life is more fulfilling right now. I have JS company. I feel at ease and peaceful every day. I have you, Chaeyoung and the team. I am more grateful than ever even if my life took a turn."

"I'm..." Taehyung wants to apologise again but Jisoo stops him by shaking her head. She places a hand on top of his.

"Stop apologising. I did the worst. I ran away on our wedding day, remember?"

Taehyung finally manages to let loose and laugh. Before driving off, Jisoo looks up at the sky, noticing many stars shining brightly in the midnight blue sky, reminding her of the night when she star-gazed with Jennie on their first monthsary.

"I hope that you are doing well."

-----------------

One day, Jisoo receives a text to meet Mino at an unusual location. When she pulls over, it is an abandoned warehouse. Thinking as nothing much, she enters the building only to find Mino sitting on a chair, smirking as she walks towards him. Next to him his Mino's secretary, Jinwoo, is trying to signal to her but she doesn't get what he is trying to convey. She continues to walk towards the other before stopping in front of him. All she wants to do is to get the conversation with Mino done and over with.

"Hi, my favourite sister," he greets Jisoo sarcastically with a very fake smile, then continues, with a solemn expression, "Appa has been talking about you lately ever since the company isn't doing well."

Jisoo smiles back in response, replying, "I am not surprised. I heard that the sales dropped a lot and that major partnership renewal deals did not go through. Oppa, you need me back right? Is that why you texted me to meet you here?"

Mino shakes his head.

"Of course not, I want a showdown. If I win this match, you will have to work for me. If I lose, I will let you have the company."

"I don't want the company anymore, Mino."

"I've heard about your little company. I can't believe that your company is quite successful. It annoys me. Whenever Appa sees me, he keeps mentioning about you and your company."

Mino stands up, cracking his knuckles before walking towards Jisoo, "I really want to vent my frustration."

Jisoo is kind of worried. Mino has a black belt in Taekwondo while her only martial arts experience was secretly joining the MMA club, without her parents' knowledge but Mino knew about it and had kept it a secret. He had definitely used this to his advantage.

Mino smirks, saying, "feeling scared, my sister? To be fair, it has been more than 10 years since I have practised."

Jisoo tries to maintain her confidence, replying, "of course not. This is a street fight style, right? I can still handle this."

"Suit yourself, my little sister," says Mino, before charging towards Jisoo, ready to throw a punch at her.

She blocks the punch but stumbles in the process. She blocks all his attacks, taking the defence role. She is clearly in no position to attack but pushes through, trying to stabilise herself as she receives Mino's punches. When the opportunity arises, she attacks by kicking to give herself some space. Next, she throws a few punches with the distance that she has made between them. However, Mino recovers fast and begins to attack again. Jisoo knows that she is clearly losing but continues to push through. She hits him in the groin with whatever ounce of energy she has left. That sends Mino crouching on the ground. Again, taking the chance to throw a few forceful punches and kicks.

Mino tries to get up while resisting the pain he feels all over. On the other hand, Jisoo has currently spent most of her energy with little left to fight.

"I guess this is the final round."

"I shall go all out, Oppa."

Mino throws a final smirk at Jisoo before running towards her at full force, hand tightened in a tight fist, ready to throw the final and most powerful punch. Jisoo positions herself, ready to attack Mino too. The aftermath ends up with the two siblings collapsing on the ground, with blood trickling down the back of their heads.

Jinwoo who has been watching the whole fight quickly calls for the ambulance and does whatever he can to ensure both of them are still alive and breathing.

-----------------

Jennie hears a knock on her door, wondering who it is. She opens the door, revealing Lisa and Chaeyoung. She frowns at the sight of Chaeyoung, particularly not very pleased since Jisoo hasn't contacted her a year ago.

"Lisa, what are you doing here? What is she doing here?" asks Jennie, about to close the door, even at her best friend.

Chaeyoung quickly holds onto the door, saying, "I know that you don't want to see me but listen. Jisoo is in hospital. She is in a critical condition, please just be there for her. I know that you two haven't been in contact for a year but you two technically didn't break up, right?"

Jennie responds, "Jisoo has Taehyung right?"

"Jisoo doesn't like him in that way, never once, even after you two fell out."

"I'm sorry, I have nothing to do with Jisoo."

"Unnie is still using the phone case that you gave her. This tells you something right?" This is the only thing that Chaeyoung can think of to stop Jennie from trying to cut her off.

Jennie almost wanted to tear up. She thought that their relationship has fallen through completely. But, Jisoo is still using the phone case. It says more than enough. Her heart winces upon that knowledge and thought.

"Let's go now, hurry," Jennie takes her purse and phone that is on the table before slipping onto her sandals, already walking ahead the couple after locking the door.

Chaeyoung looks at Lisa, feeling relieved that the other decides to visit her cousin.

Lisa whispers, "Jennie is going to kill you that you lied about Jisoo's condition."

"Even if she tries to kill me, you will save me right?" She grins at Lisa but receives a smack on the shoulder.

"Of course not, dearie. You are on your own. Count on your cousin to save you," says Lisa, before walking ahead, catching up with Jennie.

"Unnie will definitely save me on the account of saving her relationship."

"We shall see."

"It will play out well, I promise."

------------------

Once they reach the hospital, Chaeyoung leads the way. "Jisoo's room is just right at the corner," says Chaeyoung, pointing to the room. Jennie quickens her pace, half worried as to what Chaeyoung had mentioned earlier.

"Her injuries are quite severe..."

This keeps playing in her head and all she prays is that Jisoo would keep breathing. She opens the door, preparing her heart to see Jisoo in a terrible state but she an unexpected sight greeted her. Jisoo is actually awake and is casually reading from her kindle. To be fair, it does seem as if her injuries are quite severe with bandages all over the body. Bandage over her forehead, around both arms, and a bandaged left leg that is suspended by the traction.

Seeing that Jisoo is clearly fine, she feels very embarrassed that she is overly worried. Jennie quickly turns her heels around but is stopped by Chaeyoung.

"I'm sorry that I lied but since you are here, just spend a little time in this room, please?"

Jisoo finally processes everything, putting her kindle away. She says, "Jennie, please stay or I will make my way to you."

The older woman tries very hard to jerk her left leg such that it would be off the traction. As soon as her left leg hits the bed, she feels a sharp pain, trying to stifle a groan to hold the pain in.

"Gosh, stop doing stupid things," laments Jennie as she runs over to Jisoo, making sure that her leg isn't bleeding.

"I am fine," Jisoo responds with a slight smile, holding onto the younger's hand. With that cue, Chaeyoung and Lisa leave the room quietly, leaving the two of them alone.

"Gosh, please don't play with your life. To be honest, this scares me even more. Never get into a fight," says Jennie, trying a hug by holding onto Jisoo's waist. Everything that was on her mind while on the way to the hospital was finally delivered in person. She doesn't want to show how worried she is for the other given their current position. But, all she wants to do is to be vulnerable in front of Jisoo, to just let the older woman know that she still cares deeply for her.

"All this was in the act of self-defence. I swear that I will never get into a fight again," replies the older woman, putting three figures up to mark her oath. She then continues, "but in all fairness, this stupid move got you coming back for me."

The girl tries to pull away from the hug due to the cheesy comment. Jisoo then tells her to stay in the embrace for a while. Afterwards, she says, "I choose you."

"I'm sorry?"

"You know the question you asked a year ago. To choose between you and the company," says Jisoo before pausing for a moment before replying, "I want you."

Not getting any response other than seeing Jennie just staring at her with teary eyes, she continues, "I'm sorry for not thinking it through. I was stupid to want the company. You know, I have started a company and it is much rewarding that working at my father's company. I realised that even though I can do without Blackpink Inc, something was always missing. Now that you are here, everything feels complete again. You make my life complete."

Jennie holds onto Jisoo tighter after that confession. Soon, the moment is broken by the swinging of the door. The door opens, revealing Mr and Mrs Kim as they enter through the open door.

At that moment, the couple stops what they are doing. Jennie immediately stands up, greeting the old couple with a deep bow. On the other hand, Jisoo acknowledged their presence with a slight nod.

Mrs Kim smiles at the two of them, then looks at Jennie saying, "Jennie, you are here. Good to see you again."

Jennie moves out from her seat, gesturing to the two old couple to the chairs next to Jisoo's bed, "Mr and Mrs Kim, do sit. I will get some drinks for you two. Would tea be good?"

Not waiting for a response, she quickly makes her way out of the ward, slightly embarrassed to be caught by Jisoo's parents and especially Mr Kim, who she has never met. That leaves Jisoo alone with her parents.

"Jisoo ah, your injuries are quite bad," Mrs Kim lightly caresses Jisoo's bandaged arm looking all worried. Jisoo shakes her head, replying, "I think it is not as bad as Oppa's injuries. How is he?"

"Both of you are in similar states, bandaged from head to toe," replies Mrs Kim. The old man then grumbles after a huge sigh and a shake of his head, "can't believe that my two children are childish even at this age."

Jisoo's ears perk up at what she has heard. Her father had finally acknowledged her as his child but she keeps quiet, not wanting to keep her hopes too high.

"They will always be little kids to us," says Mrs Kim, smiling at Mr Kim.

This led to a moment of silence. Jisoo is looking around, avoiding eye contact with her father until he speaks up, "so, is that your girlfriend?"

Jisoo nods in response.

"You should be glad for having someone so virtuous like her. Only she can deal with you," remarks Mr Kim. Jisoo smiles slightly knowing that her father acknowledges Jennie as a suitable partner. Even though there were some side remarks about her, she doesn't take it to heart. She is still happy that she and Jennie are at least acknowledged by her father. Maybe, things are going better for her.

Jennie finally returns, entering with cups of hot tea and some baked goods that she bought from the bakery in the hospital. She puts everything down on the side table before telling Jisoo's parents, "Mr and Mrs Kim, do eat up. I will just leave you three alone to catch up."

Before she can walk away, Mrs Kim tells the young girl to stay after being signalled by her husband. The four of them are now in the same room but slightly awkward with Mr Kim's presence.

"So, how do you find my daughter?" asks Mr Kim.

"Jisoo's a wonderful partner. Just a little kid-like sometimes. Other than that, she is the sweetest person I have met," replies Jennie, smiling at Jisoo. Mr Kim then clears his throat before saying, "you look a little young. What are you doing now?"

"I am in my final year, studying fashion design at Gangnam University," replies Jennie and that made Mr Kim smile before replying, "we've got that field covered. Do join us after graduation." He then turns to Jisoo, saying, "you should encourage Jennie to join us too. This way, you two can work together at Blackpink Inc."

Sensing the direction in which her father is hinting at, Jisoo replies frankly, "Father, I have no intentions to go back."

Mr Kim seems flabbergasted.

"What nonsense, you always wanted to be the CEO right?"

He shifts slightly uncomfortably in his seat before responding, "this time I am inviting you back to lead the company. Mino will be reassigned back to his usual position. He is not suited to be the CEO. You are."

"I have my own start-up," Jisoo tells her father and is quickly rebutted by him, "We will acquire JS company as one of our subsidiaries."

"I..."

"No more buts. You get to lead both companies and I shall stand in as a mentor until JS is more stable."

"Father, I am sorry, I really need some time to think about it."

Mr Kim sighs at his daughter's response before turning his attention to Jennie, telling the girl, "Jennie, knock some sense into this girl." He then turns to face Jisoo, surrendering to the fact that she would not be keen to take up the CEO position. He tells his daughter, "alright just take some time to think about it. We will leave you two alone after we are done with our drinks."

After a few minutes of small talk, the old couple decides to leave so that the two girls can spend some time with one another. Making sure that the old couple has left, Jennie asks, "Jisoo, don't you want to be the CEO?" Looking at how Jisoo had wanted the company so badly previously, Jennie wonders as to why the older woman isn't keen on taking up the position.

In response, Jisoo just replies, "I thought you told me to make a choice and I choose you. Nothing will make me choose something over you."

Jennie holds onto Jisoo's forearm lightly, telling the other, "you have changed a lot."

Jisoo smiles, putting her bandaged left hand over Jennie's before saying, "what you have said woke me up. Nothing beats striving to get my father's approval. I find more joy in my startup and I enjoy a somewhat more ordinary life. Besides, now that you have walked into my life again, I don't want to lose you anymore. The past year has been tough without you by my side."

"You know, if I wasn't in this state I would want to hug you after that romantic speech," says Jisoo, trying to spread out her arms, signalling to Jennie to lay in her embrace. She gets the signal, climbing on the bed to lie down beside Jisoo, with her upper body in Jisoo's embrace. The older woman tries to tighten her hold around Jennie's waist without aggravating her wounds. They manage to stay in the position comfortable even for Jisoo, enjoying the warm embrace after what seems likes ages.

"I see, you still have that ring," remarks Jisoo, seeing the ring, that she had given Jennie during their first monthsary, hanging around the younger's neck.

Jennie replies with a cheeky grin, "I can't seem to move on. A little bird told me that you are still using the phone case."

Jisoo laughs, replying, "I can't seem to move on too."

Jennie turns to her side, facing Jisoo and stares lovingly at the other, thinking about all the differences that drive them apart but they are once again together. She thanks the divine for this moment.

"What are you thinking about?" asks Jisoo, holding onto the younger girl's hand.

Jennie tells the other, "it's just that we are two different people and I can't believe that we can still be together again."

At that moment, Jisoo tries to hold onto Jennie's hands tightly. She then confesses, "I love you, Kim Jennie. No matter how different we are, we can overcome any boundary in our way."

"I love you too, Kim Jisoo."

Both of them lean in, sealing a kiss to make up for the lost time and moment, and also to undo everything to the time before they have fallen out, with the starlight shining brightly. This signals a new beginning redefining any boundary that has and can hinder them. Indeed, in the language of love, love knows no boundary.