Noona

Whiplash

It was a sunny Sunday morning, the sky is blue with minimal clouds and winds blowing from east to west when their mother decided to have barbecue by their outdoor backyard patio with infinity pool.

Under the shaded patio were aligned sunbeds where Y/N was laying flat on her stomach in a one-piece bikini.

She rested her cheeks on her backhand with eyes closed behind her sunglass. She has been resting there for a while now.

David walked up to her and called, "Noona."

"Hmm?" Y/N muttered as she slowly opened her eyes.

David asked, "Can you rub sunblock on my back?" as he held it out to her.

Being the dutiful noona to her dongsaeng, she rolled over and sat, "Okay, come here."

David sat at the very edge of the sunbed who only wore shorts and slippers and a cute pineapple sling bag and hat on his hands.

Y/N squeezed an ample amount of sunblock and rubbed it on David's back.

She made sure that David had sunblock on all his exposed skin so she applied more to his face, chest, arms and legs.

Once she's done, she let him go, "Okay, you're all set. Here, don't forget your hat."

David wore his hat and climbed up the sunbed next to Y/N. He took out his PS4 from his pineapple sling bag and started to play with it.

Y/N was checking on David when she could feel someone's presence behind her, 'Ugh, this feeling.'

She looked back with a disdainful look when she realized who it was and brusquely asked, "What are you staring at?"

Taeyong was standing behind her wearing shorts and slippers while holding a wine glass of fruit juice on his left hand and a fan in his right hand.

Taeyong genuinely complimented her, "Isn't it natural to gaze upon such a beauty?"

Y/N crunched her nose in disgust, "Thanks, but that sentence coming from you sounded gross."

David interjected impassively, "Hyung is gross," whose eyes still focused on his game.

Taeyong dejectedly reprimanded Y/N, "Please don't teach David bad words."

Unconcerned, Y/N leaned her back against the backrest as she hurled at him, "He is just reminding you what you are."

Taeyong placed his fruit juice on the side table and took a seat on the sunbed next to Y/N and cooly uttered, "You know Y/N, get used to it coz you'll hear compliments from me everyday."

Y/N uninterestingly declined, "No, I don't want to hear it everyday."

Taeyong turned to his side to face her as he assumingly inquired, "I bet a lot of guys in school compliments you."

David interjected impassively, "Noona is popular in school," never tearing his eyes away from his game.

Y/N had enough of the two so she closed her eyes, "Stop it you two. I don't get compliments and I'm not popular in school."

Taeyong didn't believe her, "Eh, why not?" and once again assumed, "Maybe it's because of your stern face."

She opened her eyes and turned her head to face him, "What about it?"

'Oh, she looked pissed,' Taeyong thought seeing Y/N's serious expression. He smiled sheepishly at her, "Nothing. I just thought that the strict Y/N is y."

Y/N sat up to confront him, "I've been bothered by this ever since you got here, but you've been calling me by my first name."

Taeyong's eyebrows furrowed as he showed a puzzled expression, "Wae? Do you have other names?"

She reasoned out, "I am older than you so you should address me as noona."

Taeyong comprehended what she meant, but doesn't want to admit and just expressed, "Ah..."

Y/N was waiting for his answer, "Don't just say ah..."

Taeyong explained himself, "Sorry, I'm not used to it because we don't do that in the states."

Y/N ignored it, "I could care less where you came from, but here in Korea, it's a culture and a sign of respect to someone older than you."

Taeyong slightly objected the idea, "But you're just a year older than me."

'Huh! This kid.' Y/N thought. She was so done with him, "Hmm. I wonder how I can get through that thick head of yours before you understand it."

"Ookaaay," Taeyong widened his eyes as he averted his gaze away from her. With a calculating look, he suggested, "I'll call you noona if you beat me in freestyle swimming."

Y/N removed her sunglass and beamed a sinister smirk as she got up, "Ooh... I must commend you because despite your braincells being 99% erted, you can actually suggest sensibly with the remaining 1%."

Taeyong grabbed his chest with his hand, "Ouch, that hurts," with a deadpan look.

David interjected impassively, "ert hyung."

"Shh, kids shouldn't in," as Taeyong motioned his index finger towards his lips.

David gave out a warning, "Noona is a fast swimmer."

Unbothered and confident in himself, he challenged, "Oh yeah? It wouldn't be a competition if she isn't."

David expounded the warning, "Fun fact: Noona is the current title holder of '25 seconds 50 meter freestyle fairy goddess' in our whole campus."

Taeyong complimented Y/N, "Congratulations. That's a weird title you're holding."

Y/N was getting excited, "He he he, I can't wait to break that enthusiastic spirit of yours," while smacking her knockle to her other hand.

Taeyong backed up, "Whoa, let's take the competitiveness down a notch coz I am seeing fire aura effects all over you."

Y/N's smirk disappeared and rolled her eyes, "That wasn't me."

She then glanced at her back and shouted, "Mom! I told you to let the cook prepare the griller for you. Do you want to set this place on fire?"

Nonchalant, their mother rebuffed, "Don't worry sweetie, I got this under control."

With a sign, Y/N resigned saying, "Do whatever you want."

Taeyong was astounded, "What the heck."

Y/N pointed at Taeyong to follow her, "You, let's go over there."

Y/N led him to the right end side of the pool.

Taeyong followed behind while staring and appreciating her back view.

He teasingly warned her, "You should be careful. I don't want your beautiful body to be sore after you lose."

Pissed by his manner of addressing her, Y/N confronted him, "I have additional condition for you. If I win, which I will, you will not only address me as noona but you'll also have to drop your way of informally speaking to me."

Taeyong wondered innocently, "Who says you'll win?"

Y/N's temple vein now just snapped, "Says your mother effing noona who is so done with her mother effing dongsaeng."

Taeyong backed up again, "Whoa2x... There you go again with the fire aura effect."

She quickly glanced at her back, "Mom!"

Fanning the fire, their mother continued, "Don't mind me sweetie. Just keep on doing what you're doing."

Y/N resigned as she rolled her eyes, "Geez. She always does this."

Taeyong also sighed at how carefree their mother is. 'I wonder how the meat will taste like,' he thought.

He glanced back at Y/N and said, "We need a referee."

Both of them looked at David and Y/N called him, "David, come here," signalling him to come over.

David stashed his PS4 in his sling bag and cutely jogged towards Y/N.

Y/N bent over to instruct him, "We need you to be the referee, okay?"

David didn't say a word and just nodded cutely and pulled out his toy gun in his cute sling bag.

Taeyong was impressed as he was watching them, "You two surely are prepared for this, huh?"

Y/N confidently answered, "Of course. I was challenged by my brother after all."

Taeyong inquired faintly, "I guess the sentence 'please go easy on me' won't work?"

Y/N gave a taunt, "Give me your best shot."

Taeyong's confidence level lowered a little and awkwardly laughed, "Ha ha..."

Y/N instructed, "Okay, get into position."

Both of them got into position at the edge of the pool.

David announced, "Ready!" and the two of them bent over. David counted as he raised his toy gun, "In 3... 2... 1... QUACK!" as he pulled the trigger.

"!!!" Taeyong was stunned in place. He didn't expect the sound effects and just stood confused while Y/N promptly jumped into the pool.

"!" he cussed as he quickly dived into the pool.

Their pool's length is just 20 meters in diameter so in a matter of 5 seconds, Y/N already reached the other side of the wall, flipped backwards and kicked forward to return.

Taeyong tried his best to catch up but was lagging behind her.

David stopped the timer at exactly 10 seconds the moment Y/N touched the goal.

As she resurfaced out of the water, she checked on Taeyong who was still on his way back.

David and Y/N waited for him patiently until he touched the goal.

When he resurfaced out of the water, he found an expressionless Y/N staring at him.

Y/N sarcastically said, "Congratulations. You finally arrived after..." she trailed off looking at her watch, then continued, "40 years." She then turned around to climb out of the pool.

Taeyong was flustered, "Wait!"

David officially announced, "The winner is Y/N noona. Taeyong hyung lost."

"Don't say it aloud," Taeyong said bleakly as he followed Y/N.

Y/N turned her head and warned Taeyong, "I won so you have to do what we have agreed on. Break it and I'll make that slim body of yours even slimmer."

Taeyong stomped his feet and whined, "Yah! How can you say that to my y body?"

David interjected impassively, "Taeyong hyung is a loser."

"David, don't say it the second time," Taeyong's ego was hurt once again.

Y/N added salt to his wound, "He's just reminding you in case you forget."

Taeyong pouted, "Yah! Don't bully me you two." He then remembered, "Another thing, what's with David's gun that fires quack?"

Y/N clarified the obvious, "Of course it's a toy gun."

Taeyong grumbled, "Because of that, I was late on my jump."

Y/N sat back on the sunbed and rationalized with him, "You should always be prepared when you're in a competition. Expect the unexpected."

Displeased by what happened, he remarked in a mean tone, "He's your brother so of course you would know everything about it."

Y/N unbelievably looked at Taeyong and asked, "Are you blaming David that you lost?"

Taeyong felt guilty when he realized that his words sounded like blaming so he refuted, "I didn't mean that."

David innocently inquired, "Should I go get another gun?"

Taeyong: "..."

"No David. It's fine," Y/N patted David's head.

She scrutinized Taeyong who remained silent, "Taeyong, say something to David. He's your brother too."

Taeyong laid on the sunbed, frustrated in himself, "Ugh, I know that." He covered his eyes with his arms, "Just give me a minute."

In that moment, Y/N felt sympathy for him but didn't utter a word of consolation as she felt that it would be best to let him be for now.

The wind blew in their direction and Taeyong had not dried himself yet so she handed him one, "Here, towel."

He felt the towel touch his arms so he took it without opening his eyes and covered his face with it.

Y/N and David looked at Taeyong and then looked at each other, thinking the same thought, 'It's not so like him to be sulky and quiet'.

"Noona," Taeyong uttered under the towel.

Surprised, Y/N stared at Taeyong in disbelief whose face was still covered with towel.

He then removed the towel and turned his head to face Y/N and once again spoke, "Noona."

Y/N was so mesmerized at the moment that she couldn't utter a single word.

Taeyong looked past Y/N and wondered, "David, what are you doing?"

David answered, "I'm recording this very touching moment," holding a camcorder in his hands.

Y/N and Taeyong both spoke at the same time, "Please don't," then both looked at each other and laughed.

Feeling content, Y/N comforted him, "You're not that bad in swimming. You know what, if I'm in a good mood, maybe I'll consider a rematch."

Taeyong's mood brightened, "That means I need to put you in a good mood."

Both of them smiled, satisfied with what they have achieved at that moment.

David still held his camcorder pointing at them.

Y/N patted David's head, "Alright, that's enough."

Taeyong felt relieved that Y/N and him are now in good terms, "Well, this isn't so bad."

He got up and walked towards their mother, "Mom, let me help you. I'm quite skilled in cooking."

David glanced at Taeyong as he walked past them and looked back at Y/N, "Hyung is not so bad after all."

She tenderly smiled at David as she rufflef his head, "Yeah, you're right."

As they were watching Taeyong and their mother who were busy spreading out the meat on the griller, it again shoot another fire.

Exasperated, Y/N's smile dropped and exclaimed, "Mom! Taeyong!"

'Jeez! These two should never be left alone,' Y/N thought as she got up and walked towards them.

David on the other hand was unbothered and continued playing with his PS4.

Throughout that morning, they all had their bouyant and chaotic family picnic by the pool.