1.9.

Find You Again
Cloud Nine Downwards
 
200911
Donghae can almost say he’s in cloud nine, already around two weeks after his talk with Hyukjae, because well, he’s going out with Hyukjae!!! With! Hyukjae! The same guy who Donghae had actively tried to avoid meeting or running into in the hallways, why did Donghae avoid Hyukjae? He can't explain it properly to his friends, no matter how much he tries to put it into words, he can't exactly say why, so he always ends up spouting off some nonsense that his friends can't understand, maybe he actually dislikes Hyukjae?

 

This makes Donghae pout, how dare they think he dislikes Hyukjae when all the guy has to do is smile (even if it wasn't directed anywhere near Donghae because he never gets close enough to make Hyukjae realize his presence) and Donghae's whole week is immediately better, whether it was on a Monday or even a final Friday period, no questions asked.

 

Donghae avoids Hyukjae because he thought that having any form of direct interaction with the guy will be too much for his pounding heart and sweaty palms.

When he mentioned this to Hyukjae, he got laughed at. That made Donghae frown of course, but he got an affectionate head rub in return, he immediately smiled.

Anyway, another reason why Donghae can’t really shout his heart out from the euphoria he’s feeling is because, well, their reality won’t let him do so. They kept their relationship very private that you won’t be able to tell they’re dating because there was virtually almost nothing that changed with how they act around each other, they didn’t even tell their two other friends— who by the way, have passed their college entrance exams on their own colleges of choice. They don’t stick together in campus, in fact, they were so busy as seniors that their friend group can only meet up during the day to grab quick lunch before going back to their classrooms, well, that, though sometimes Hyukjae suddenly feels something cold on the side of his backpack which turns out to be a cold drink or Donghae’s bag will weigh more from a mysterious homemade lunchbox full of food quick to eat that was not there when he left for school.

However, at the end of each day, if they weren’t leaving with their friends at the rare chances of them heading home before sunset, Donghae and Hyukjae made sure to go home together. Going to the same convenience store they had visited together more than a year ago, the duo would spend at least half an hour talking about their day over a bottle of soda or their favourite brand of instant ramyeon (it’s just Hyukjae’s, because you’ll never catch Donghae alive saying that he likes instant food). They would often sit by the windows facing outside, sometimes on the small tables at the inner parts of the store, there, they would be able to do small skinships. Nothing major that could catch attention of any passer-by, just subtle brushes of palms against each other, or when they get a table against a blind spot, sometimes Hyukjae would rest his hand on Donghae’s hips while eating a sandwich with the other. They never get too close to each other when the shop is crowded.

Other times, when they can, the two escapes to the same children’s playground, when it is mostly deserted by the time the sun went down. They would sit side by side on the swings, holding hands, or hugging each other inside those cylindrical cements, there they’ll stay longer, talking about nothing and everything. From what type of organizations they would like to join in college, to what shape that cluster of star looks like.

Their day of college entrance exam came on a weekday, making their friends unable to see them off, Hyukjae and Donghae boarded the bus with their friends’ ‘good luck’ messages and sticker pile on their group chat. Before going to different exam rooms, they stopped by a shaded place away from random people, Donghae hugged Hyukjae hard “just to ease my nerves” he said, burying his face on the curve of Hyukjae’s neck. Soft and comforting pats on his back immediately helped calm him down, he squeezed his boyfriend one last time before pulling away. “Thank you.” He whispers, pressing a soft kiss to Hyukjae’s cheeks and smiling. “Let’s do our best, Hyuk.”

When Hyukjae and Donghae received their acceptance letter, Donghae had latched to Hyukjae the moment they were alone, both with stupidly large grin on their faces.

 

One night, Hyukjae was seated on the dining table with his family, his father seated at the head of the table and his mother and sister across from him. The television was playing the evening news in a low buzz, volume a bit low to not disturb the dinner too much.

“You know, one of my co-workers complained on yesterday’s drinking event about their son. Something about liking men, along those lines.” His father suddenly speaks up, Hyukjae looks up from his rice and just quietly looks on, his mother didn’t budge and his sisters just blinks.

“Why do you mention it, darling?” Hyukjae’s mother asks, the man of the house says nothing, eyes squinting and going to-and-fro the siblings.

Hyukjae doesn’t speak, just looks back down on his plate and continues eating quietly.

 

“Ah, and also.” He speaks up with his eyes on the food. “We’ll be away next week,” he turns to his daughter. “Both of you don’t make trouble.”

Hyukjae and his sister look up. “Eh? But next week is…” His sister starts, silenced by his mother raising a palm to her face.

“Whatever is happening next week, we can’t go. This trip is important.”

His sister met Hyukjae’s eyes, supressing his frown, Hyukjae says his thanks for the meal and excuses himself.

 

 

The following week, it was his older sister who takes the group picture of Hyukjae and his friends on his high school graduation day.

+
Howdy! I'm now officially a freshman lol, sorry for taking long, I hope you won't mind us jumping times haha.

There might be more to this part, but it won't make it to this week's update, so maybe next time?

Thank you for reading!