1.4.

Find You Again
The mandatory school festival chapter for every high school fic
 
200724
The main programs went through without much problem, just a lot of nerves from the new members of the club and internal swearing from the tired Hyukjae backstage.

Now, they were in their club booth, entertaining middle school students who are going to be their juniors in the next academic year. Hyukjae was done with his turn on handling the booth, drinking iced water that his clubmate handed him, he waved lightly at his other juniors in lieu of goodbye before slipping out from the booth, it’s his turn to roam around and maybe eat a few snacks served by other clubs.

He looked at his watch, it was almost 3:30 in the afternoon, an hour and a half before the school wraps up today’s event. There will be some performances from a band made up of students of different years, and some second years from Hyukjae’s club will be performing later too. Every year, the sophomores will be performing near the closing and the juniors and seniors will be taking the lead on the opening performances since that one requires more energy and more students will likely watch. The other younger members have the whole morning and lunchtime to loiter around and rest.

After visiting his friend’s booth from across the field, Hyukjae walked around aimlessly, drinking a cold strawberry smoothie he got from a mini-bar booth that was on his way. He was minding his own business when he felt damp fingers encircle his free wrist from the side, someone crying out his name right after. Turning, Hyukjae was met with Donghae’s bright eyes.

“Come with me.” Came the nearly breathless voice.

Donghae dragged Hyukjae through the field, dodging students while mumbling apologies. His grip remained firm on the other’s wrist, going to a game booth. “I need someone to play the game with!” He beams, handing over a token to the person in charge and giving one of the large plastic rings to Hyukjae. “I’d really like to win one of those things.” He points to the side of the booth, where small trinkets and some toys were displayed.

There’s literally a lot of people around, how come that Donghae had pulled Hyukjae from the other side of the field just to play a game together?

Fortunately, they managed to toss enough rings onto pillars within the time limit, enough points to get a cool leather bracelet, Donghae grins as he looks at the brown item across his right wrist, a matching dark blue one across Hyukjae’s left one. The prize Donghae wanted is given in two’s, and since he was helped by the other to get the prize, it only seemed nice to give the other piece to him.

“Ah!” Donghae suddenly perks up, they were eating another cold treat when they noticed the time. “Hyukjae-ssi! I got to go back to my booth! We need to start preparing for the closing.”

Hyukjae blinks while Donghae blabbers on, he guides the other guy to the side where there are fewer people. “Donghae.” He calls out gently while moving the hand that was on the other’s elbow up to his shoulder. “You should go, we’ll see each other around anyway.”

Only then did Donghae see where they were standing, while he was busy panicking Hyukjae had gently guided them through the crowd of students and to a spacious part at the far end of the field, there was a path that Donghae can take to get to his committee booth quickly. He looks back at Hyukjae with a huge smile on his face, Hyukjae smiles lightly back, then gestures to the general side of the booth using his head.

“I’ll see you later.”  Donghae, still with that infectious smile, waves shyly to Hyukjae before jogging away.