Chapter One

Into The Right Places | Taehyung FF

I can guarantee that everyone has their own childhood friends, or friends that you’ve met in young age. Some will probably separated when they grow up, some don’t. And in my case, I belong to the second category. I met him when I was 10. He was transferred from the other region into mine. It was the usual day; I sat on my seat waiting patiently for the teacher to come. The other kids were talking to each other pretty loudly, it filled the room.

The classroom teacher entered the room, tailing her was a boy with straight hair. “Okay, quiet everyone!” The teacher shouted to get the class’ attention. “We have a new friend transferred here today with us,” She turned her sight to look at the boy standing shyly beside her. “Introduce yourself, dear”

The boy politely bowed his head, “Hello. I’m Kim Taehyung. Nice to meet you guys. I hope we can be friends” he introduced himself. The first time I saw him, I didn’t plan to be close friend with him. ‘As classmate is enough’ was what I thought that time. Everyone was excited to talk to him, but neutral for me.

“Thank you, dear. You can sit there next to her if you want” The teacher pointed at the empty seat next to mine. The boy slowly made his way towards my direction and sat on the seat next to me. “Nice to meet you. What’s your name?” He asked me the moment he sat down, and as the teacher looked away.

“I’m Pearl. Pearl Bae. Just call me Pearl” I introduced myself to the new boy in town. We didn’t talk much, to be honest. He was pretty shy and I had no idea how to talk to him during class, I was scared to be scolded by the teacher. A few weeks passed since he transferred and we were still not close yet even though we were seat mates. When one day, Taehyung said he forgot his lunchbox at home and he didn’t has money to buy food, I volunteered to buy some for him.

When I came back from the cafeteria, he was not in the class. I asked around  the class and went around the school ground to looked for him. Then I found him at the back of the school’s building, some of the seniors that aged older than us were picking fight with him. He was literally surrounded by them.

“Ya!” I called out, the seniors turned their heads at me. “That’s my friend” I bluntly spoke out. I remember that I caught glance at Taehyung’s face. “It’s a girl” The seniors laughed. “What are you doing here? Go back to your class and leave your friend here with us” One of them spoke. I never liked bullies like them.

“That can’t do. I have to bring him back with me so we could eat together” I replied. They snorted when they heard my reply, telling me to go away and to not get involved. “You guys were older than us but you all are acting like cowards” I spoke.

They turned their head again towards my direction, their face showed that they don’t really like what I just said. “What?”

“You’re older than us but acting like cowards. Bullying someone weaker than you is what coward does” They were furious at my words. Before they could lay their hands on me, I was shouting for the teacher that was passing nearby the building. The teacher stopped the kids in time, they were brought to the principal’s office for their actions.

“Are you okay?” I asked Taehyung who was standing quietly as he watched the kids walked away with the teacher. “Yeah, I’m okay. How about you?” He asked me in return. I nodded my head and gave him his bread. That was when we became close friends.

“Excuse me, Pearl! Do you hear me?” Taehyung is looking at me. Today, we are 19 years old, and we both get into the same college. This is our second year as a college student. We are still seatmates when we are taking general subjects. I’m taking Hotel Management course while Taehyung is taking Business Management course.

“I’m sorry I was spacing out. What were you saying?”

“I said, where do you wanna get lunch? The restaurant you’ve been talking about or just the cafeteria?” He returned his gaze back on the book so that the lecturer won’t catch him talking in his class. “The restaurant” I mumbled softly under my breath, but loud enough for him to hear at least. “Okay, deal” He replied and continued to write notes on his book.

We are best friends since we were young. I do have female friends but nothing could beat my friendship with Taehyung. We are literally inseparable. Wherever Taehyung is, there will always be me there with him and vice versa. Except for when we go to toilet and those in the same category, of course. I shared everything with him and he knows every little secret I tell him. While puberty only hits me in an average amount, it’s a different case with Taehyung.

He has grown taller as the time passed, his voice changed from a softie to a deep voice, his visual is outstandingly charming and his fans are increasing too. I secretly took a glance at him and stare at his face, nodding my head as a sign that I’m satisfied with how much he has grown.

I was planning to shift my gaze back at my book when I noticed a guy who was sitting a row behind us, looking at me. He smiles at my direction and as my reflex; I turned my sight away as fast as I could. He’s pretty good-looking in my opinion, and when he smiles at my direction, I couldn’t help it but to look away automatically. ‘I never see him in this class before’ I thought to myself. But then looking around the class, we pretty much have a lot of students in the general subject class; it’s possible that’s the reason why I never noticed him before.

I slowly took a glance back at him, and I could see that he’s still staring at my direction. I returned with a smile and changed my glace back at my book. I could feel butterfly in my stomach, it feels weird. “Don’t tell me I’m having a ‘falling in love at a first sight’ crap”, I thought to myself. I never believe in that thing but now it confused me that I’m feeling what looks like the case. “Crap,” I mumbled under my breath, gaining Taehyung’s attention from the lecture.

“Focus” He mumbled under his breath, bringing me back to earth.

“I couldn’t believe this” I buried my face on the table as the class finally ended. Most of the students are making their way out of the class. “Why? What’s in your mind?” Taehyung asked as he was packing his stuff into his bag. “I just feel butterflies in my stomach” I told him.

He stopped at what he’s doing and turned to look at me. “Are you falling in love with me now that I’m good-looking?” He asked. I raised my face from the table and slightly hit him on his arm. “Stop playing around, Tae”

“Oh, I thought you do” He laughed and proceeds to pack his stuff. “Come on, sleepyhead. I’m going to stop by the restroom before we go”

“You go ahead. I’ll wait for you in front of the building” I said to him. He raised his shoulders in unison before making his way out of the class. I packed my stuff neatly into my bag when I heard someone called out my name. I looked up and see the guy from earlier standing in front of my seat. “Um, yes? How can I help you?” I asked him.

“You’re Pearl, right?”

“Yes, I am Pearl. Is there something wrong?”

“I’m Park Hyungsik, from the Business Management” He introduced himself. “Ah, nice to meet you, Hyungsik”

He smiles at me. “I’ve noticed you for a while now. And I could see that you’re really good in this subject, so I thought maybe I could ask you to help me with the subject. Well, if you don’t mind” He speaks.

“Oh, sure! I don’t think I mind things like this” I smiled at him. His eyes are mesmerizing, even though we have the same eye colours. “You have pretty eyes” I said out unconsciously and I quickly covered my mouth with my hand.

He laughed at what I’ve said, thanking me for thinking that way. “Can I have your phone number? So it’s easier for me to contact you when I have trouble studying the subject?

It somehow feels like he has planned all of this and intended to get my phone number, but I don’t want to get ahead of myself. I tell myself in my head that it’s nearly impossible for someone as good-looking as him to be interested with someone like me. ‘It’s probably true that it’s for class purposes only’, I thought to myself.

 “Sure!” I agreed and give him my number. In the end, we exchanged phone numbers. “I have to go now. My friend is waiting for me” I stand up from my seat and wear my bag over my shoulder. “I’ll see you around” I smile at him before excusing myself. “Pearl!” He called my name as I was making my way out. I stopped in my track and look at him. “See you around” he smiles.

I nodded my head and headed out of the building.

I saw Taehyung’s figure standing in front of the building, waiting as he puts his hands inside the pocket of his jacket to keep them warm. “Tae!” I shouted. “Sorry to keep you waiting” I give him a pat on the back as I stand next to him. “What takes you so long?”

“Ah, just a guy from our class was asking for help”

A guy from our class?” He looks at me as his eyebrows furrowed in curiosity. “Oh, do you know Park Hyungsik?"

“I do. He’s that guy who always sits at the back row” Taehyung stated. “That’s the guy,” I said as give him a light pat on his arm. “Let’s go, I’m hungry” I added. I walked ahead, leaving Taehyung slightly behind. “I don’t like him, though” Taehyung mumbled under his breath. “Why?” I stared at him as he didn’t say anything for a few seconds. “I just don’t” He said as he quickly walks away. “Kim Taehyung! You didn’t answer my question!” I tailed him from behind as we walked out of the school’s ground.

Little did I know, knowing Hyungsik is the beginning of the life that I didn’t expect to happened.