Hopeful Yearning

TOWARDS PARADISE (a tribute story to the late Kim Jonghyun)

I’ve never felt so happy for the longest time. I could say this was a miracle. Although I wasn’t totally and 100% happy, I still felt I was. I couldn’t stop rereading Aera’s text on my way home. I wanted to treasure every word in it.

I arrived home shortly after walking a few blocks from the bus stop.

The lights were still on. That only means my ‘parents’ are still awake.

I went inside quietly so they wouldn’t know I arrived, but I failed. My mom was there seconds later as soon as I closed the front door.

“Where have you been?” She asked.

“I was at Onew’s.” I answered.

She looked like she wanted to say something else, but she doesn’t know how to even start.

“I have to talk to you about something.” She said making me nervous. I was so curious I wanted to know if there was any problem, but I also didn’t want to know. I’m not up for any disappointment. I was just happy a few moments ago. I don’t want that to simply fade away.

“What about?” I asked nervously.

“It’s about time you knew.” My mom said looking at me nervously. What secret is she keeping from me? “I want you to meet someone.” She added before she walked towards the dining room.

Someone? Who?

As soon as I stepped inside the dining room, I saw Hanjae and a boy who was maybe a bit younger than I am. I got a bad feeling. This isn’t going to be good, I’m sure.

“Jonghyun, this is Taemin. He’s Hanjae’s son.” My mom revealed.

I didn’t know what to say.

Am I the only who didn’t know that I have a stepbrother? How could she not tell me? Is this the reason why she treats me differently?

“You’re kidding, right mom?” I asked before walking away and running to my room and locking my door.

How could she keep something this serious from me? Didn’t she think it was important for her to inform me before she married that man?

First, he replaced dad. Now I feel like I’m the one being replaced.

“Jonghyun.” I heard my mom behind the door. “Talk to me please.” She added.

I didn’t answer.

I didn’t answer until I heard her leave.

I didn’t know how to react to everything that just happened. Everything in this house is the worst. It’s really the worst!

My life is the worst!

I couldn’t control my anger any longer and it wasn’t long before I punched my bedroom wall and causing my knuckles to bleed.

I stopped when my phone sounded.

I checked it and found that I had a new message from Aera.

I opened it with my shaking hands.

“Did you arrive home safely?” she said in the text.

I just stared at it.

I just didn’t feel like replying to her now that I’m in this situation. I am too angry.

I don’t want to do anything that will upset her because if I upset her, I’ll hate myself more.

I sat on the edge of my bed as soon as I set aside my phone on the bedside table.

I took a deep breath to relax myself a bit.

That’s when I felt the pain on my knuckles. I punched the wall too hard.

The anger and disappointment I felt was too much and I don’t know how long I can bear it.

 

I woke up the next morning and found the pain on my knuckles was a lot worse than last night. I covered it with a bandage I had in my drawer before I got ready for class.

I didn’t bother eating breakfast because I was sure my stepbrother was going to be there.

I dashed outside the house without my mom and stepdad knowing. I got out of the house safely and walked hurriedly to the bus stop.

As soon as I got inside the bus and found a vacant seat, I checked my phone.

I got no new messages. Nothing even from Aera.

I know I don’t even have the right to be disappointed because I didn’t reply to her last night. It’s my fault if she won’t talk to me again. I ignored her.

After about 30 minutes, I arrived at the university entrance.

That’s when I saw her. She was just standing at a corner and she looked like she was waiting for someone.

And then she saw me.

I stopped walking because I got a bit nervous when I found her walking towards me. She wasn’t smiling. Maybe she was mad about last night. I mean I completely ignored her text and it was rude for me to do that.

“Hey.” She said as soon she was right in front of me. “Are you mad?” She asked immediately after.

“No. Of course not.” I answered quickly.

“What happened to your hand?” She asked.

I quickly hid my hand behind my back.

“I…It’s nothing.” I lied.

“It doesn’t look like nothing.” She said grasping my hand softly. “Does it hurt?” She asked with a worried look. I couldn’t answer her. Everytime she touches me, I just freeze.

It took a few seconds for me to come back to reality and quickly shove my hand away from her hold.

She looked so scared when I did that. Did I look angry again?

Ugh. Why do I always do something stupid when she’s around?

“S…Sorry. I know it’s none of my business.” She said in disappointment before starting to walk away.

Oh God. What should I do? She’s really going to hate me.

“W…wait.” I blurted out quickly grasping her arm with my unwounded hand.

She looked back at me and we just stared at each other for a few seconds.

I couldn’t say anything after that. I didn’t know what to say.

I let go of her arm slowly.

She looked at me and waited for what I was going to say next, but I failed to say a single word. I couldn’t even apologize to her for acting this way.

I heard her took a breath when I failed to say anything.

She’s disappointed. She is and it’s all my fault.

“I’m here if you need someone to talk to. I’m a good listener. I’m not forcing you or anything. I just wanted you to know.” She said.

My heart skipped a beat.

Aera’s too kind.

I don’t deserve to be her friend.

“Anyway, I have to go to class now. You should too.” She said smiling a bit now.

I just nodded in agreement.

I was too embarrassed to say anything.

She left after that.

“Hey Jonghyun!” I heard Onew shouting behind me.

I looked back and saw him running towards me.

“Hey.” I replied.

“What happened to your hand?” He asked.

Onew’s different. I can easily tell him my problems because we’ve been friends for years. I trust him more than I trust my family. I trust him even more than I trust myself.

“I’ll tell you later.” I answered before we both went to our first class.

 

I told Onew everything during lunch.

Everything that happened last night.

“I can’t believe your mom kept that from you.” Onew said as soon as I was done talking. “I understand why you got mad.  I mean keeping something that important from someone is just bull. I would react the same way.” He added.

“It really hurts though.” I said showing Onew my hand.

“It looks really bad, bro.” Onew said in agreement. “Maybe you should let someone look at that. It might get infected or something.” He suggested.

I completely agree with him, but I can still bear the pain, so I don’t think I’m going to do that.

“Hmm. I wonder where Aera is. I thought she’s going to join us for lunch today as well.” Onew said after swallowing a spoonful of food.

This is my fault.

I’m sure she doesn’t want to join us because of me. She was just being nice earlier before we separated ways.

But I was wrong about that.

Completely wrong.

She came.

She came holding an ice pack and obviously, it was for my hand.

“Hope this’ll help with the pain.” She said putting the ice pack on my wounded hand.

Onew and I both looked at each other in surprise. He smirked at me right after. It had a sense of mockery behind it. He was teasing me. He definitely was.

“T…thanks.” I said to Aera and held the ice pack myself.

She smiled at me.

“You’re welcome.” She replied before she started eating her lunch.

Onew continued to tease me with a mock-filled smile.

I was so embarrassed I wanted to disappear.

But even though I felt that way, I also felt I was cared for.