Ethereal

TOWARDS PARADISE (a tribute story to the late Kim Jonghyun)

Advanced Math was our next class and I am nervous as . Why’s that you ask? Obviously, it’s because Aera’s going to be there. Why do we have to be in the same class? Ugh. This is so hard for me.

“Bro, you okay? You look so pale.” Onew asked while staring at my face.

“I always look pale. Nothing’s bothering me.” I lied.

It’s not that I don’t want Onew to know that I’ve been having these weird feelings about Aera. It’s not that I’m in love with her or something. I don’t even believe in love. Nothing’s permanent in this world especially that awful thing. Love? Oh God. No thanks. I’m okay being miserable and alone.

“Goodmorning class. Is everybody here? We’re going to be starting early because we have an early and long meeting today.” Our professor said as soon as he came in.

Wait a sec. She’s not here.

Why’s she not here? Is she late again?

Impossible. She knows where this class is being held in.

“I guess Aera’s late again, huh?” Onew suddenly said beside me.

“Yeah, I guess so.” I answered eyeing the seats around me.

Ugh. Why am I so curious about her whereabouts? I shouldn’t be doing this. I should relax and just listen to the lesson.

30 minutes has gone by but there was no sign of Aera anywhere. She didn’t come to class.

“I don’t get any of these lessons, Jonghyun. You gotta tutor me before the exams.” Onew whispered beside me.

I didn’t answer Onew because I was too busy thinking about Aera again. Why can’t I stop?

“Thanks for ignoring me.” Onew added.

“Sorry I was just distracted.” I said trying to defend myself.

“Distracted about what?” He asked. He asks too many questions.

“Just…things. Ugh. It’s nothing.” I answered. Lying yet again.

“Is it your dad?” Onew asked curiously. He won’t stop until he gets an answer.

“Y…yeah.” I answered so that he’ll stop interrogating me.

“Oh. You want to go to my house and play videogames after class?” Onew offered.

He’s a good friend. A very good one. I didn’t grieve once when I found out my dad died. I didn’t even cry. I just isolated myself from the world and from my mom. Onew was the only person I relied on during that time. We’ve been friend s for years.

“Sure bro. Thanks.” I answered with a small smile.

Onew grinned at me in return.

I admire his happiness. How does he do that? Ignoring all the negativity and remaining optimistic during the worst of times.

I wish I could do that as well, but I can’t see myself doing that.

Class ended without me knowing because my mind was too occupied.

“Lunch! My favorite time of the day. Come on, let’s eat! I’m starving.” Onew said happily as soon as the bell rang.

...

 

We hit the canteen after a few minutes but when we arrived there, I can’t help but try to see if Aera was around.

Aera again. Why can’t my mind just stop thinking about Aera? This isn’t good. I should stop.

“Come on Jonghyun. Queue’s not that long.” Onew said before walking towards the short line of students waiting for their lunch.

I followed him there and after getting our lunch, we sat down on our usual seats.

“I feel like there’s something special with the Kimchi today. It’s extra good.” Onew said after taking his first bite.

“You’re just hungry.” I said to him.

He laughed.

“I am always hungry.” He said before eating more Kimchi and shutting up.

I took a sip from the soup in front of me before munching on some rice and vegetables. Hmm. Onew was right. Something was different but maybe I’m just hungry too.

“Hi.”

. That voice. I know that voice.

I choked on my meal a bit.

It was good seeing her though.

“Hi Aera! Good to see you!” Onew said as soon as he saw her.

“Can I join you guys?” Aera asked. Does she have any friends at all? Ugh. Why do I even ask that? I don’t even have that many friends. Onew’s my only friend.

“Of course. Sit down.” Onew answered excitedly.

Aera sat down on the seat beside me.

“So, why weren’t you in Math class earlier?” Onew asked immediately as soon as she sat down. God. Onew, let the girl have a bite from her lunch first before you ask starting her questions again.

“Oh, I had an important matter to attend to earlier this morning.” Aera answered before sipping her soup. “Oh gosh, this actually tastes really good today. Yum.” She added. She eats beautifully.

. What am I thinking? Get your together Jonghyun.

“I was thinking the same thing! Try the Kimchi too! See Jonghyun, I told you there was something special about lunch today!” Onew said loudly trying to prove himself.

I just smiled a little at him.

“You’re not very outspoken huh, Jonghyun?” Aera said to me.

“Very mysterious huh, Aera?” Onew blurted.

Ugh. Onew. Why?

“I’m just not really good at this conversing thing.” I said as honest as possible.

“Why’s that?” Aera asked in curiosity.

“I don’t wanna talk about it. Sorry.” I said and then regretting it. She might hate me. I know she will hate me.

“Sorry for asking.” She said frowning. Oh God. What did I do? Why can’t I stop being a jerk?

“Don’t be sorry, Aera. Jonghyun’s just really like that. He might not talk much but he’s a really great person!” Onew said trying to save me from my stupidity. Now I’m more embarrassed.

“No, I know it was bad for me to ask. We’re not even that close.” She said but the frown from her face wasn’t there anymore.  “I guess I just have to hang out with you guys more.” She added.

What?

Did she just say that?

“Sounds good to me!” Onew rejoiced.

Aera smiled at him and then he looked at me as if she wanted me to say the same thing. Why is she looking at me like this?

“Uh. Sure.” I said softly.

“Then it’s settled! From now on, you hang out with us. Don’t you have any girl friends though?” Onew asked Aera, He looked so happy.

“Not yet. Everyone else in my class were in groups already when I came in. I was too shy to try and fit in with some of them. But I’m trying though.” She answered.

I can’t believe someone as beautiful as her is having a hard time making friends.

“That’s okay. You have us now anyway. Right, Jonghyun?” Onew said.

“Y…yeah. Sure.” I answered.

“Great! Anyway, we’re hanging out later at my place. You want to come with us, Aera? Do you like videogames?” Onew had multiple questions. She must think weirdly of us now.

“Hmm. Let me just check my schedule.” Aera said looking at her phone.

Guess she’s the organized type.

“Well, will you look at that? I have free time. Can you guys accompany me to a pastry shop first before we go to your place though? I’ve been really eyeing a really delicious looking cupcake for days.” She asked shyly.

It was the most beautiful thing.

“Sure.” Onew answered making Aera smile. I also want to make her smile but how do I even start? She already thinks of me as a lonely, not so friendly, quiet guy. Wait, that’s what I really am.

Ugh. I’m hopeless.

“Alright then. I’ll see you guys later.” She said before standing up.

She’s leaving already? Oh wait, she finished her food. She really eats fast.

“Oh, almost forgot. Let’s exchange numbers.” She added.

Her number. I will actually be able to get her number.

Onew handed his phone over to Aera first before she began typing her number on his phone. After that, Aera handed hers to Onew. After they exchanged numbers, Aera looked at me.

I just stared at her and forgot to blink.

. What am I doing?

Finally, I was able to come back to my senses.

“Oh…uh here.” I said and gave my phone to her.

She smiled as soon as she saw my wallpaper. What was funny about that? It was just a plain black wallpaper. While she typed her number on my phone, she handed her phone to me.

I saw her wallpaper. It was a picture of her. She looked really pretty in it.

I typed in my number hurriedly so as not to cause any more trouble.

Aera and I exchanged phones after that.

“Alright. I’ll call you guys later when I’m done with my last class. See you.” She said before she left and waved goodbye.

I took a breath as soon as she was gone.

“Can you believe it? We’re friends with a pretty girl!” Onew rejoiced.

“Don’t be so weird.” I said to him.

“Aren’t you glad Jonghyun? Don’t you think she’s pretty?” Onew asked with a frustrated look on his face.

“She is.” I answered.

Of course, she is.

 

I’m kind of nervous for later. I don’t know if I could get a hold of myself when we all hang out at Onew’s place. Again, I’m not very good at these things. Meeting new people and getting to know them is really hard for me. Harder now that our new friend is far too perfect for me.

“Thank you so much!” Aera said happily as soon as the box of cupcakes were handed to her by the lady at the counter.

“Enjoy!” The lady said in return.

I am not a fan of sweets. I get tired of them easily.

“Thanks for coming with me here. I really hope you guys don’t mind.” Aera said to us as soon as she rejoined me and Onew.

“It’s not a problem Aera. Come on let’s go to my place before it gets too late.” Onew said before we left the store.

Onew drove us to his place. We were both sitting in front of the car so Aera had to sit solo at the back. I can’t help but look at the rearview mirror to check on her from time to time. She was busy with her phone.

A few moments later, it rained.

It was a quiet ride to Onew’s place so I could really hear the raindrops falling on Onew’s car. It was peaceful for me. I loved how it sounded. Raining is my favorite weather because it relaxes my soul.

I closed my eyes for a little bit because the raindrop sound was swallowing me whole. I’ve never felt so relax.

As soon as I opened my eyes though, I saw Aera looking at me from the rearview mirror. We exchanged a quick glance before she finally looked away. I wasn’t sure though, but I think she smiled when she did.

“We’re here.” Onew blurted breaking the moment I just had with Aera. What was that all about? Was it real or a figment of my imagination?

I hope it was real. It would be great if it was.