You Are Not Alone

Against The Grain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Since the Queen Mother was no longer at the royal court, Joohyun took full advantage of this opportunity to do things that her mother disapproved of. She could not remember the last time she had this kind of rebellious fun, but it sure was nice to re-experience it.

Despite the excitement of getting to venture outside of the palace, the route to her destination also brought back bittersweet memories. She was headed to an orphanage that her sister set up and funded before her death. The founder was no more, but her legacy remained, and Joohyun wished that more people would keep that in mind.

In the carriage, she was not on her own but, rather, accompanied by her youngest cousin, Sehun. On the way, he tugged at her sleeve and asked, “Majesty, where are we going?”

Patiently, she explained things to him and added, “you will meet a lot of children there who are around your age. You’ll get to play with them and I hope you will have a great time.”

He nodded, but then thought about it for a moment and pressed on, “but I thought the Queen Mother doesn’t want me to play with people outside of the palace.”

Joohyun stifled a sigh, not wanting her mood to be ruined by the way her mother only allowed Sehun to mingle with children from aristocratic backgrounds. “Well, this time we won’t listen to her. We’ll have fun on our own. Even if it’s just gonna be one day, we’ll enjoy ourselves. Would you like that?”

He nodded again. “But won’t the other kids’ aunties or parents be displeased? That they’re playing with someone that ‘doesn't belong here’?”

“I’m sure they will be perfectly nice to you. And as for their parents…” she faltered, but went on after some thought. “Unfortunately, they’re not around anymore.”

“How come?” He asked innocently. “Is it because their fathers gave up their lives for the country during a war? And their mothers fell very sick and died? Just like what happened to my parents?”

“That’s possible,” she answered, not having the heart to tell him that some parents might have abandoned or sold their children.

Soon enough, they had arrived. Just as Joohyun anticipated, Sehun mixed really well with his peers, which was a sight most pleasing to her. The smile that therefore naturally graced her flawless face sure did not escape her guard’s attention.

“I’m happy to see you happy,” Seulgi piped up. She and Joohyun stayed on the sidelines for now as they watched the children frolic on the playground. “I’ve also made the discovery that you only smile so mirthfully when you’re around children and your cats.”

“And around you,” Joohyun added. “Surely you have not forgotten that.”

“Indeed.” Seulgi blushed. “I have not forgotten.”

“You are right, though. Kids and cats are alike in the sense that they’re innocent and, most likely, not plotting murder.”

“That’s true,” Seulgi replied. She was about to say more, but then kept quiet for now as one of the children gathered the courage to approach the Queen. She wanted to let him speak, especially since she was aware that he had been furtively staring at the Queen for a while now. The child was probably just a couple of years older than Sehun, and the most outstanding feature about him was his big ears.

“Hi,” the child piped up, looking up at Joohyun in fascination. “Are you the Queen?”

“Hello,” said Joohyun. “Yes, I am. What’s your name?”

“I’m Chanyeol,” he replied eagerly. “Do you know where I can find Princess Jooyeon?”

Joohyun’s face fell. She exchanged brief glances with Seulgi before turning back to the boy. “I’m afraid she isn’t here with us today.”

“Oh, why?” He asked. “She came here last time. I saw her. She played with us and we drew portraits of each other. And she promised to come back next time and draw another one with me. She said I would’ve grown much taller and very soon I’ll be taller than her. She hasn’t forgotten about this promise, has she?”

Joohyun felt a lump in . This boy was the first ever person she met who remembered Jooyeon for something other than her scandal. Indeed, the children here might not have known about Jooyeon’s passing.

“I’m sure she hasn’t forgotten,” she replied in reassurance. “But I don’t want you to be disappointed either. So, if you’d like, I can draw with you instead.”

Happily, he took her up on that offer. Moments later, they were joined by Sehun. The two boys got along swimmingly and did not even notice when Joohyun and Seulgi went to the other side of the room to grab some snacks.

“This is so fun!” Sehun giggled as he and Chanyeol made art together. “You’re so fun to be around!”

“You know what would be even more fun?” Chanyeol grinned mischievously. “A piggyback ride!”

Sehun frowned and cautiously asked, “are we allowed to do that here?”

“Of course! Why not?”

“My aunt never lets me. She says it’s too dangerous and I could fall and get hurt. I don’t get to play much. It’s only today that I have so many friends to play with.”

“Aw…” Chanyeol patted Sehun on the head and smiled. He then held the lordling’s hand and picked up one of the crayons they had been using. Then he started to draw on Sehun’s palm, so engrossed in it that he was chewing on his lip.

“It’s a tiger?” Sehun chirped once Chanyeol was done. “It’s adorable.”

“Yep. This

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter