Lend A Helping Hand

Against The Grain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun did as she said she would with Lady Yerin and Concubine Lee. Together they interviewed the ladies sent from each aristocratic clan, to decide who would get to join the harem and then who would make it to the privy council. Rather than going for the pretty ones as was the case with pretty much all the kings whose reigns preceded Joohyun’s, she was more interested in their personal qualities and what they could bring to the table.

It was Concubine Lee’s idea to have the shortlisted candidates take part in another round of group interviews where they would engage in debates. The debates covered a variety of topics, ranging from social welfare policies to family dynamics to the education system and more.

Afterward, the Queen and her two valued allies had private discussions about the candidates’ performance.

“I think Lady Yoojung and Lady Sohye are polar opposites,” Yerin explained as she flipped through the notes she had been jotting just now. “When others disagree with their viewpoints, the former becomes quite passive-aggressive and takes it personally. On the other hand, the latter becomes intimidated and tends to just agree instead of holding her stance. If you ask me, they have potential, but neither of them is immediately suitable as a member of the privy council.”

Concubine Lee nodded and shared her thoughts too. “I can recall that Lady Miyeon didn’t do very well in the first round. She’s good at memorizing poems and books and regurgitating the content, but once you ask her in more depth about the meaning and assumptions behind those words, you’ll find that her understanding is actually rather shallow. I was hoping she could redeem herself during the debates, but there was nothing particularly impressive about her performance just now. I don’t think she’s good enough, but let’s see how the remaining candidates compare.”

“Alright,” Joohyun replied. “Any comments on Lady Sihyeon?”

“I wouldn’t say she’s particularly articulate,” Yerin explained. “Sometimes she gets lost in her own arguments. But she isn’t easily defeated and she keeps trying, so I think there’s something admirable about that. She can initially impress, especially when she presents herself with confidence, but it isn’t consistent.”

“Then I think she would make a nice consultant, just not necessarily suitable as part of a council,” Joohyun announced. “On the waitlist she goes.”

“Seems there aren’t a lot of ladies that we firmly want to add to the lineup for the privy council at the moment,” Concubine Lee remarked as she took a glance at the list of names.

“That’s fine,” said Joohyun. “We’ll continue to observe and engage with them. Perhaps some of them might surprise us later on. I’m willing to give them a chance. We can always add — or remove — members, whenever necessary.”

The three of them spent the rest of the afternoon deliberating upon these matters. In the evening, Joohyun had dinner with Moonbyul, who once again had some valuable information and sound advice to share.

“I went to check on the boys earlier today,” Moonbyul reported. “Wanted to see if they’ve been studying just like you’ve been telling them to.”

“And did they misbehave?” Joohyun asked.

“Well, Prince Jooyoung is actually becoming more and more assiduous and committed. That’s something to be proud of,” Moonbyul commented. “Lord Jongin, on the other hand, just doesn’t want to study. At all.”

“Seems being our uncle’s mentee has done Jooyoung some good,” Joohyun uttered. “I don’t even know what to do about Jongin anymore.”

“Ha, he actually asked me something today. He wanted to know if I know who you might choose as your concubines. Said he better get ready and start bribing and befriending them,” Moonbyul revealed, which made Joohyun roll her eyes lightheartedly. “It seems he doesn’t know it’s not going to work on you. Prince Jooyoung made fun of him for that too.”

“Then I don’t have to worry about that,” said Joohyun.

“I guess so. Lord Jongin's intentions are not likely to be malicious. But this just had me thinking, if he knows that he can get to you through your concubines, through people close to you that you're expected to be at least somewhat interested in, through people that they think would stand a chance at charming you and making you fall for them, then surely your other enemies will try this approach as well,” Moonbyul pointed out. “Your mother has already done it. Once she identified Seulgi as someone close to you, someone you cherish, she didn’t hesitate to use Seulgi to harm you. Others will not hesitate either; they are just as ruthless, just perhaps in different ways. What I think is that Your Majesty should not make it obvious that Seulgi means a lot to you. Maybe try to trick the enemy into thinking she is no more than just ‘Captain Kang’ to you, that she’s someone you can easily and painlessly let go of.”

“You reckon it might be best for her safety that way?” Joohyun asked solemnly. “I really want to keep her by my side, though. And she wants that too. Especially since we’ve already...bonded...in certain ways.”

“I know, but it’s better to be safe than sorry,” Moonbyul replied. “I’m not saying she has to be removed from your side forever. Wouldn’t dare suggest that. Just that if she’s not around you all the time then people are less likely to think of her as someone who’s very important to you, and therefore less likely to target her.”

Joohyun nodded, albeit slightly reluctantly. “You have a point. Let me explain this to her and we’ll see what we can do.”

As luck would have it, a timely opportunity arose for Joohyun to arrange to send Seulgi somewhere safer, temporarily. It was still within the palace grounds, not miles away. Otherwise, the couple would not be able to bear this extent of separation.

Joohyun was glad that Seulgi was so understanding about it. It was also Moonbyul’s suggestion, not an idea coming from someone who might want to bring harm to them. So when Director Choi — the same director who was in charge of the entertainment presented to the Japanese ambassador a while ago — approached the Queen and Captain Kang with a request, they agreed to it.

Before leaving the Queen’s household, Captain Kang had to make sure that her deputy knew exactly how best to protect the Queen. Her deputy had big shoes to fill, seeing as Seulgi had been doing such an excellent job as the Queen’s guard. Only when Seulgi was sufficiently confident that her deputy fully understood her instructions did she follow Director Choi to the part of the palace where the court entertainers resided and practiced.

“Captain, I can’t thank you enough for y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter