Anna

Chasing Lights (EXO Fan Fiction)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When she was offered a scholarship to pursue her master's degree in the US with Anna as her sponsor, she didn't have second thoughts. It was a time when she wanted to be away from everything, from everyone. She was alive but lifeless, hurt beyond repair but tear-less. The pain she suffered was so unbearable, her heart has become hardened, she couldn't even get herself to cry.

 

The first time their eyes met, a change flickered in her dying eyes. For the first time in a very long time, she saw hope, determination and belief in someone's eyes.

 

For the first time in a very long time — she could meet someone's eyes.

 

The chain of events before that was a downward spiral of betrayal, disappointments, frustrations, shame and pain caused by the people she most loved. She couldn't even go back to her hometown. She felt she'd go crazy every time she'd recall things. She didn't have anywhere anymore to call home. 

 

She couldn't talk to people or look them in the eye.

 

So when she chanced upon an advertisement in a social networking site for a master's degree program in psychology in the US, little did she know that it was life giving her a chance at redemption. That on the other side of the world, this wonderful, independent and precious woman named Anna was waiting for what she believed was God's perfect plan during the dawn of her life. 

 

Three months after arriving in the States, Anna did not visit her on the weekend despite doing it every week. Instead, she was sent a plane ticket flying to Wyoming. She thought Anna must've been tired of traveling. Anna was old, but still very energetic and lively. The only thing that hindered her from moving around was her limp. They spent the weekends cooking silently beside each other, sipping freshly ground coffee in her balcony. Anna would usually give her a meaningful smile, she would try to smile back, albeit lacking the emotions she thinks she should feel for a woman who was obviously reaching out, lest she let down her guard and invest emotions again unnecessarily.

 

When she arrived at the airport, a chauffeur came to pick her up. A tall and fairly-built guy, who introduced himself as Jay Langbert was with him. He said Anna was waiting at home and has prepared everything since yesterday. The trip was very quiet, with Jay and the driver scarcely talking to each other. She didn't bother initiate a conversation. She was comfortable not talking, especially when there's scenery to be taken in.

 

Almost an hour have passed when Jay announced that they have arrived. The way from the airport to the place was full of green and brown sparces of land with horses and cows cattling and wide spans of mountains. It was different from the usual site of buildings and skyscrapers but it was calming. She was able to relax her mind. When she looked out the window, she saw the name of the ranch, The L Ranch.

 

Anna was waiting for her in the living room. The house was a huge mansion in the middle of a 3000-acre land. Seen from afar, it was like a castle in a fairy tale book. Anna welcomed her with arms spread and a beautiful smile.

 

"Welcome to the ranch. How was your trip?", the beautiful woman in long, flowing sky blue dress hugged her for a few seconds. Anna was as always, very warm and bright. She was tempted to want the hug to last for a few more seconds but Anna took her hand and lead her to the dining room.

 

"You have to eat first. You must be starving." Anna pulled out the chair where she should sit. There was a woman in uniform standing on the side. The table could sit twelve. Different dishes were prepared that it was too much for two people to eat.

 

"Lena helped me prepare everything". Anna was now seated.

 

She looked back at the woman and gave her a slight smile. "It looks delicious".

 

"And tastes so.", Anna sounded cheerful as she put food on her plate after saying grace.

 

"I.. can get it.", she said in a very low but steady voice. She didn't feel comfortable being attended to when eating. She experienced being taken cared of when she was with the family from church that took her in when she was in college, but that too, didn't end up ideally. She loved the family dearly and the family loved her so much, but she left them despite their pleas for that now "estranged person" in her life. The memory left a bitter taste in .

 

The meal was pleasant with Lena and Anna answering her questions about the dishes. She loves to cook and it was the one thing that she can talk about with Anna for hours.

 

After the meal, they stayed in the garden for coffee then took a tour around the mansion. Her feet were aching by the time they went back to the receiving area but her eyes were filled with awe of the structure and design of the house. It was in every way extravagant and elegant. She didn't think Anna owned such a property. She thought she was a normal 63 year old woman whiling away her time helping out a young profession

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter