Paperweight

We Got That Power

 

Suho gasped for air, realizing he was sitting on his own bed, safe and sound. The same nightmare again. It always left a glowing ball of panic in his gut. He had often had nightmares before, but as his powers developed, they were getting worse. But even at their worst, they had never been like this. Usually, he could see what was happening. This blurry mess of ominous terror was freaking him out. And the screaming. The screaming was getting to him. Sometimes he thought he heard it even when he was awake. His hairs stood on end as a wave of goosebumps washed over him. Terrifying.

His teacher had warned him not to trust his powers too much. Not every nightmare was necessarily a premonition. Some nightmares were just that, nightmares. And the main focus of his therapy sessions lately was learning to accept that he wasn't responsible for everything that happened in the world. He couldn't save the world. Not all of it, at least. He had to learn to live with this incredible gift that had been bestowed upon him, but some days were harder than others.

Normally, the blurrier the details, the further away the event was. Up until now, he had never seen anything further than a week away, but this time felt different. The future wasn't written in stone, he told himself, it could still change. He could change it. He took a deep breath. He was going to shake this feeling of dread lingering in his stomach, ransacking his room to see if he couldn't find his smile again and bring it with him to class.

 

With a lot of effort, Suho stepped into the sunny morning with a shining smile, both on his lips and in his heart. He was determined to make today a good day. He was the master of his own fortune. Only good things were going to happen today. Amazing things, even. Today was precious, and he was going to treat it as such.

 

 

 

Good morning!” Suho sang energetically as he entered the classroom. It was full of students, some who smiled back, others sending him an irritated scowl. He didn't really know any of them, even though he had been taking this class for over a month now. As always, most people kept their distance from him.

He wasn't used to taking classes with other people. This was a first. It was an experiment. In a school full of unique people, he was still the weird one. He was unable to function in a large classroom due to the complete and utter inability to concentrate, as well as the frequent and sometimes very dramatic interruptions on account of his premonitions. When he had them, he really had no control over his own body, and some were more vocal than others. The school board had decided it was in everyone's interest for him to take private lessons. He had gone from one type of isolation to another. It because he was actually a people person, but deep down he knew they had a point. They had to take everyone's safety into consideration.

Nobody had been able to figure his power out yet. It just kept getting stronger and stronger with every passing day. There were no examples of anyone like him in all of recorded history. Precognition, the power of premonitions, wasn't unheard of, but most people who possessed this elusive gift could barely give an accurate prediction of the weather five minutes from now, let alone specific events a whole week into the future. He was special. But not everyone appreciated that.

A lot of people were scared of what he could do. He could see the fear in their faces after he had a premonition, everyone desperately praying it hadn't been about them, for he never saw people on their happiest days. He understood people's reactions, he really did, but he was a social person, so this lifestyle made him extremely lonely. Which was why he spent months begging and pleading to be allowed to take one class, just one class, that was part of the normal curriculum.

And in the end, against all odds, they had caved and enrolled him in a beginning class about the history of powered people. It was pretty boring, but he loved the feeling of being surrounded by other students. For one preciously short second, he was able to imagine that he was a normal guy, going to class like everyone else.

Suho opened the book to where they had left off last time, and then he felt it coming.

Oh, not now,” he grumbled, but it was already happening. He was no longer in the classroom. The chatter had died down, replaced by an excruciatingly intense silence. He was in an office of sorts. Wait, he had been here before. It was the headmaster's office. He could feel the tension in the air. The headmaster was looking sternly at a boy sitting across from him. Suho could only see the back of the boy's head, but he could feel how nervous he was.

Calm down,” Suho whispered, knowing the boy couldn't hear him.

He had a bad feeling about this. Nerves and powers didn't get along very well.

A second later, the headmaster lay dead on his desk, his head smashed in by his own paperweight. It wasn't pretty. Suho had seen some gruesome stuff in his time, but this made it to the top five on his list of horrors. Blood, everywhere. And not just blood.

Suho looked around for any indication of what time of day it was, ignoring the shiver that was crawling down his spine. By how clear the vision was, it was definitely happening today. He could feel the premonition fading, frantically scanning the walls for a clock, luckily finding one just moments before he returned to reality. He checked the time on his wristwatch. Five minutes. He only had five minutes or the headmaster would need a new office, six feet under.

Without a word to the teacher, Suho shot out of his seat and started running as he had never run before. The headmaster had once saved his life, now it was Suho's turn to repay the favor. His lungs felt like they were on fire, burning from the inside. He could make it, he told himself. He had to make it. Only if he could go a little bit faster. He pushed his body to the edge of its limits. When he burst through the door after ignoring the shouted warnings of the headmaster's secretary, he could see his premonition was already in progress, it was happening exactly as he saw it. This was not the first time he had experienced this, but every time he was a bit surprised to find himself in the deja vu of all deja vus. There was no time to think, the paperweight was already in the air, ominously floating in mid-air, everyone just staring at it.

Headmaster, duck!” Suho yelled, even though he knew there wasn't enough time.

Without thinking, Suho threw himself on the desk like some daredevil special agent, feeling as if it was all happening in slow motion. He wasn't usually this brave, he wasn't sure what had gotten into him. The only thing he knew was that he had to save the headmaster somehow, for he was the only one who could. If the headmaster died, both his death and this poor boy's ruined future would be on him. Suho's therapist would scold him for having such thoughts, but he couldn't help it.

Aaagh!” Suho exclaimed as he felt the heavy paperweight crash into his shoulder. He heard something breaking, praying it was the paperweight. A blinding pain clouded his senses, then everything went dark.

 

 

 

Suho tried to swallow, but his mouth was completely dry.

Water,” he whispered into the darkness as if it could hear him and answer his plea. And sure enough, it did. He felt something cold and wet touch his lips.

Thanks,” he told the helpful shadow beside him while attempting to open his eyes, his eyelids weighing at least a ton.

And then he saw them. The most beautiful pair of worried eyes he had ever seen, staring straight into his.

Are... are you okay?” the owner of the eyes stammered, his whole face warped into an apologetic pout. His breathtaking beauty rendered Suho speechless. For a moment Suho thought he had died and this was heaven. If it was, it wasn't half-bad, he thought.

Yeah... heh heh...” Suho coughed, smiling sheepishly.

It's... it's not broken, thankfully, but... eh... you did dislocate your shoulder so it had to be reset, so uhm... it's probably going to hurt like hell for a while. I'm sorry. It's all my fault,” his knight in shining armor told him, but Suho didn't feel a thing. There was a strong possibility that he was heavily medicated, the laughing unicorn in the corner of the hospital room possibly a hallucination. Although, in this school, you never knew.

Ah! Why did you have to be so unlucky to come into the headmaster's office just then.”

The guy shook his head, frustrated. There was real regret disfiguring his otherwise flawless face. Suho didn't have the heart to tell the poor bloke what would have happened if he hadn't intervened. He didn't care about credit anyway. He was just glad that this handsome boy's bright future hadn't met its tragic demise today.

I'll get you some ice,” the boy said, flying off before Suho could even ask him his name.

Determined to wait for him to get back so they could get better acquainted, Suho tried to glue his eyes open. But the eyelids that once weighed a ton had gained at least two elephants' worth and refused to stay open a second longer.

He drifted off into the dream world.