Strike One

We Got That Power

 

There she was!

Sehun had waited all day for this moment, to see his blonde angel. If only Jongin was here, he could show him that angels really did exist in real life. Although, he'd better not. He didn't want to jinx it, his chances were already low. He didn't need her to fall for Jongin on top of everything.

She was walking right towards him, beautiful blonde locks of hair swaying softly with the rhythm of her majestic movements. There was a delicate air about her, but he could see she wasn't as brittle as she looked. She had this radiant inner toughness that made her shine brighter than anyone else in the room. Inside out, she was absolutely gorgeous. Sehun had never experienced anything like it. He could feel her presence in every cell of his body, the butterflies in his gut growing more and more agitated the closer she got, creating this floating feeling inside of him as if there was less gravity in there than out here. He took a deep breath and clutched a small box of candies he had bought for her, planning on using one of the many pickup lines he had found online, about how she was so much sweeter than some plain box of candies. He imagined her giggling at his cleverness, driving the butterflies even more crazy.

Now was his chance.

He took a big, excited breath, but before he could say anything, she had rendered him speechless with one short look. It was as if she could see right through him and was not impressed with what she saw. She disappeared past him before he could find his voice again. She had cut his spirit in half with her piercing eyes. Intense.

 

Jongin-aaa, you've got to help me...” he complained while sporting the biggest pout he could muster up.

Jongin rolled his eyes as he collapsed into the seat next to him.

Come on! When have I ever asked you for help?!?” Sehun protested, crossing his arms in a huff.

A lot of times... more than I care to remember,” Jongin said tiredly, not in the mood.

Oh, really? Name one!” he objected.

Well... There was that time with the cute cheerleader and her angry boyfriend. And the time with the cute chess club president and her angry boyfriend. I'm sensing a pattern... Oh, and the time your foot got stuck in the toilet? I don't even know how you did that... ”

Jongin raised his eyebrows at him, clearly not up for dealing with another one of his all too frequent tricky dilemmas. He couldn't help it if trouble just sought him out.

Okay, okay... but can you pleaaaase help me just one more time. Please.”

He smiled his sweetest, most endearing smile, throwing in a pair of puppy eyes for good measure.

Fine. One more time. One.”

Jongin sighed, giving up way too easily, not even making him promise to do him a favor in return or anything. Wow, he must be tired.

What's up with you?” he asked, just now noticing that Jongin was looking a bit pale.

A really weird guy asked me out,” Jongin mumbled, avoiding eye contact.

Oh, and I almost died,” he added as an afterthought.

What?!? Tell me more! And like, we'll circle back to the dying thing later. But the weird guy, tell me everything. Go!”

Sehun adjusted himself in his seat, he was not going to miss a nanosecond of the first time Jongin actually had something juicy to share. He wasn't sure why he was so excited. Jongin got asked out nearly every single day at their old school, there was no reason this time would be any different. Just because you had superpowers didn't mean you didn't have eyes. Of course he was going to get asked out. And sure, 90% of the time it was girls asking him out, but there had been quite a few guys along the way. It was totally normal. But this time was different. There was something. He couldn't quite put his finger on it, but he could sense something out of the ordinary.

I kind of said yes...” Jongin bit his lower lip, not looking very happy about having a date lined up. His first date in forever.

Sehun gasped.

Jongin had always, always turned his suitors away. He had never really understood why he had been so bent on spending his life alone and miserable but realized now that it probably had something to do with the whole power situation.

That's good news! And...?”

Sehun tried to draw some more information out of him. It was more difficult than pulling out an impacted wisdom tooth.

Maybe I shouldn't have... I think he's stalking me or something...”

Jongin shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

So why did you? Although, stalking you just shows he's really interested...” he chuckled.

I don't know. He was kind of cute. And I had just had a near-death experience so I wasn't exactly in my right mind. I just thought, you know... you only live once... but... what if he's really weird?”

Jongin scrunched his nose.

Wait, back up. So you weren't just kidding about the whole dying thing?!” Sehun stopped him right there. If he was close enough to death to consider dating, that was serious.

Jongin told him all about the incident in the forest. By the end he realized he had been holding his breath the entire time, his lungs stinging, begging for some oxygen. He could feel as a rock-sized knot materialized in his gut. Jongin was getting himself into dangerous, life-threatening situations far too often for his liking lately. This superpower thing was way less glamorous in real life. It wasn't just who looked best in spandex, it was actual life or death! Maybe coming here hadn't been such a good idea. He wanted to protect him, but he had no idea how. He had a lot to learn in order to be a good sidekick.

See! Even when you're dying you've got guys asking you out!” he joked, not wanting Jongin to catch on how worried he was, he had enough on his plate already.

Jongin sighed.

Just ask her out. Point blank. Knock it off with the games. Girls like directness, it shows that you're confident.”

Jongin caved an gave him some advice.

Direct, huh? You mean, like... caveman style? You, me, lunch, now!”

Sehun wasn't completely sold on the idea.

Well... your conversation skills might need some work, but basically... yeah.”

Jongin snorted.

Ah, it was a relief to see his smile again. It had been gone for way too long.

 

The next day, looking as sharp as he could in his school uniform, he stormed down the hallway. He had decided to take Jongin's advice. He was going to be cool and direct, face her head-on, so she would have no choice but to fall right into his arms.

She was standing in front of her locker, just where he knew she would be. He wasn't a stalker or anything, he just paid attention. A lot of attention. He quickened his pace. He was not going to let this opportunity slip through his fingers.

Five meters.

His heart did a little pirouette.

Four.

He couldn't breathe.

Three.

He stuck a chic smile on his face.

Two.

It was now or never.

Just as he reached her, preparing to make her an offer she couldn't refuse, she opened her locker with such vigor that it smacked him right in the face, really hard.

Oh!” she exclaimed as he gently felt his face to make sure his nose was still attached to it. His hand returned all bloody, where was all that blood coming from?

You... lunch... spinning...” he tried to stay focused but everything got blurry. He started seeing spots, and more spots, until they all connected together into complete darkness.

 

 

Ouch. It felt as if there was a team of construction workers drilling into his skull. His mouth was completely dry. He tried opening his eyes but his eyelids were holding them hostage. How long had he been out? He managed to force one eyelid to relinquish a tiny little slit so he could peek out at his surroundings. He gasped. There was his blonde angel, more beautiful than ever. She had a halo around her head, just like a proper angel. Was this heaven? Her eyes were not as intense and hostile as usual tough, they were full of worry. He wanted to reach out, take her hand, and tell her that everything would be okay. But just then, his eyelid decided that enough was enough, shutting out what little light there was.

 

He was in and out of consciousness. He had lost all sense of time. He did sense that there was someone with him though, taking care of him.

 

When he finally came to, it was nighttime. He took a quick look around, anticipation inflating his chest, but there was no one there. Had he dreamt the whole thing?

He could feel a huge bump on his head, but it was not as big as the bump on his bruised ego.