The Blonde

We Got That Power

 

Sehun still had goose bumps. The sound of that boy's shoulder being hit by the paperweight haunted him. He couldn't shake it. It continuously echoed inside his head.

It had all happened so fast. The headmaster had asked Jongin to demonstrate his powers, as some kind of entrance examination or initiation ceremony. Jongin had gotten all red in the face and for the longest time nothing happened, the vein on his strained neck the only thing moving. Then, for a fraction of a second, it looked like he was actually going to pull it off. The paperweight had stirred.

All three of them had sat there in silence, staring at it, holding their breaths. The atmosphere saturated with anticipation, it had all become too much for Jongin and he lost control. As the paperweight came to life, Sehun could see the panic overtake Jongin's face. It was all about to go terribly wrong, but Sehun had no way of stopping it. If that guy hadn't barged in at exactly the right moment, who knew what horrors could have occurred in that room, not only shortening their stay at this school down to less than a day, but scarring their hearts for life. They had been lucky. Lucky that they were all alive, lucky that the heroic boy still had his arm intact and so very lucky to have a second chance at a fresh start.

At first, Sehun had stayed with Jongin at the hospital for moral support, waiting with him for that unfortunate, brave soul to wake up. But when he started to wake up, Sehun made himself scarce. It looked like they needed some time alone, or maybe it was Sehun who needed a time out. It was all so overwhelming. Only a few days ago his biggest problem had been how to shift the girls' attention from Jongin over to him. Oh, and how to pass algebra, but that was a problem without a solution. However, his current number one challenge was how to keep everyone alive while Jongin's superpowers went on a rampage.

Sehun realized he hadn't fully believed Jongin had superpowers until that moment in the office, when the paperweight was hovering in the air, like a tiny little UFO. At that moment Sehun had sensed someone was probably going to get seriously hurt, and there was nothing he could do about it. He had felt so helpless. Powerless. Because he literally was just that, powerless. There was nothing he could do. How was he going to be Jongin's sidekick if he was completely useless? What was he even doing here? Sehun started to doubt that coming here had been such a good idea.

Sehun turned a corner, watching as the huge school building came into view. A school that had its own hospital on campus. That should have been the first warning sign. He walked towards the school with his own personal dark cloud over his head, worries and concerns pouring down on him. He was so deep in thought that he walked straight into a boy that was standing in front of a big fountain.

After having the air knocked out of him, he looked up. It wasn't a boy at all. Flinging long, blonde locks of hair graciously away from her face, she stared at him with bright, fiery eyes. Her lips were naturally pouty. She was like an anime character come to life. It was as if time had slowed down. His heart did a double-take, his lungs desperately gasping for air. It was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen.

Watch it!” she said in a light but sassy voice.

In an overly dramatic huff, she twirled around and stormed away, pissed but ladylike, leaving him with nothing but stars in his eyes.

Wow.

 

Jongin! Jongin!” he managed to cough out.

Sehun had never run so fast in his life. He came to an abrupt stop to avoid his second collision today.

What's going on? Where did you disappear to?” Jongin asked. He looked tired. Or perhaps broken was a more fitting description. It was as if the balloon of hope had burst and now there was nothing to keep him afloat so he was slowly sinking into the abyss of despair.

There's a girl! There's a girl at this school!!!” Sehun announced excitedly.

I'm pretty sure there isn't. She must just have been visiting. Although, I'm not sure that's even allowed,” Jongin noted, not sharing his enthusiasm.

No! I'm telling you, she was wearing the school uniform. It looked just like ours!” Sehun was not about to let Jongin's deflated bubble burst his. “And totally rocking it, if I might add.” He grinned happily.

That's impossible.” Jongin stubbornly refused to see reason.

I saw her with my own two eyes! Oh! I know!! She's probably pretending to be a boy so that she can go here.” he said in an 'A-ha!'-tone, realizing it as he said it. He was impressed by his own brilliance. Good work, brain.

Yeah, right.” Jongin's patience was wearing thin.

Have you never seen a TV drama in your life?? It's totally possible!” Sehun was frustrated at how slow Jongin was on the uptake.

And I'm going to swoop in before anyone is the wiser.” Sehun declared, finally having the edge over Jongin that he had always been looking for.

Yeah, you do that.” Jongin patted his shoulder tiredly. “Now let's find our dorm room, I'm exhausted.”.

 

That night Sehun lay awake thinking of ways to approach her in a chill yet cool manner, replaying their meet-cute over and over in his head. That silky blonde hair, elegantly flying through the air. He sighed. He could almost smell it in his imagination. It probably smelled amazing.

Be confident,” he whispered into the darkness.

Girls loved confidence.

 

 

Nervous, Sehun scratched at the corner of a sticker on the door of his new locker. He had gotten a quick orientation this morning, at the end of which they had unceremoniously handed him a time table and a locker number. He got the feeling they had no idea what to do with him. He was going to show them this school lacked a program for sidekicks, he vowed with his newfound confidence. After all, there had to be a reason every superhero had one.

Lunch was almost over and still there was no sign of his new muse. A bunch of students had come and gone, collecting their books, gossiping, giving him curious looks. But not her. There was no sign of her.

 

Sehun was starting to lose hope. Classes were starting in five minutes and he had no idea where the classroom was. He was flying solo today, Jongin had to go through some kind of an evaluation after the incident.

And then, when he least expected, she came waltzing down the corridor. The way she moved was intoxicating, kind of like she owned the place, but in the softest, sweetest way. She was talking to three guys at once, each one of them looking at her mesmerized. Sehun could feel green tentacles wrapping themselves around his insides. She was so charming, laughing brightly with that billion dollar smile of hers. It tickled his gut. How had no one noticed she was a girl yet? She was doing a really poor job of hiding it. These kids might have superpowers and all that, but when it came to basic stuff like recognizing which gender a person was, they were super stupid.

Sehun took a deep breath, using the air to lift the wings of his confidence, letting it soar.

Hey. What's up?” he asked all suave as he walked up to the girl and coolly leaned on the locker beside hers. She took one second of her precious time to look him up and down with a frown of disapproval, wrinkling her cute little nose.

Okay, bye.” she flicked her hair and swooshed right by him like he was invisible, shooting an arrow through his heart as she flew past him.

 

He was in love.