Sidekick

We Got That Power

 

Wait.”

Jongin stopped in his tracks when they to his street.

Sehun just stood there, waiting for him to continue.

That wasn't everything.”

Jongin hung his head, a dark cloud gathering over it.

There's more?!?”

Sehun couldn't imagine what more there could possibly be. He had just found out that his best friend had superpowers. Actual supernatural powers! There was nothing that could top that. Why even try?

I ehm... I won't be coming to school on Monday.”

Jongin kicked a small rock, sending it flying across the dimly lit street.

Why? Are you going to take a supernatural sick day to test out your powers? Ooh, can I come?” Sehun grinned.

It's more permanent than that.”

Jongin avoided his gaze at all costs. A weird feeling visited Sehun's gut. It was like an ominous premonition, except he had no idea what it was about.

You're not... dying, are you?” Sehun could hardly get the words out. Maybe his superpowers were the result of some rare brain tumor that activated parts of the brain no normal human being had access to. He tried to swallow, but his throat was so dry, the saliva evaporated on its way down.

No, what? No!”

Jongin waved his hands fervently.

I have to transfer schools. My parents gave me no choice. And... I don't know... maybe it's for the best. I'm dangerous. I can't control my powers,” he added with a somber expression.

So you're saying...” Sehun acted super serious, making a sad V-shape out of his eyebrows.

...THAT FROM NOW ON I'M GOING TO BE THE SCHOOL'S NO. 1 LADYKILLER!!”

He jumped up and down, laughing like a hyena.

Jongin did not look happy.

I'll just go then,” Jongin mumbled in a huff and turned his back on him, walking away dramatically, his whole body pouting. Sehun acted fast, grabbing his wrist and stopping him in his tracks.

Come on, don't make me like... say it,” Sehun said, drawing invisible circles in the asphalt with the tip of his shoe. Jongin snorted, and with a swift move of his wrist, Jongin turned the tables on him, pulling him into his arms and giving him a great, big hug. They didn't need words, Sehun thought, as a painful pang shot through his heart. He was going to miss him something fierce. He couldn't really imagine his life without him.

Who am I now going to masterfully steal girls from?”

Sehun pulled back, clearing his throat. It was of course not because he was about to start balling his eyes out, not in the slightest.

Me!” Jongin grinned full circle.

What... how?”

If it was a joke, Sehun didn't get it. And it was mean, giving him false hope.

Because you're coming with me!” Jongin simply shrugged, like it was old news.

I'm not sure I follow...” Sehun began.

There's nothing to follow, you're transferring with me,” Jongin said as if it was Jongin's decision and he had already made up his mind. He could be stubborn like that.

Sehun was going to have to think about this. How was he going to explain this to his parents? Although they probably loved Jongin more than him, so they would no doubt jump at the idea.

It's a school for the supernaturally gifted,” Jongin said when Sehun remained unconvinced, casually putting his hands in his pockets as if there was no need for further explanation or persuasion.

Maybe because there wasn't!

NO. WAY.” Sehun flipped. “Hot chicks with superpowers!! Strutting around in their little outfits, shooting lasers out of their eyes, moving stuff with their minds. Oh man, like... if there's one who can levitate... like, you know... doing it in mid-air! That's far out!”

Sehun couldn't shut his brain off, the possibilities were endless. It was like being offered a VIP ticket to paradise.

Wait.. they train sidekicks too?”

Sehun had never thought about it, but it only made sense to educate the sidekicks too.

Uhm.. not exactly,” Jongin hesitated.

You would be the only one.”

Jongin bit his lip.

For reals? Awesome! Limited edition! The girls will be lining up for miles!” Sehun chuckled.

This was it. Later, he would look back at this moment as the moment that changed his life forever. He couldn't believe his luck. He always knew he did good befriending Jongin the first day he moved here, but he had had no idea just how good. Even though Jongin resisted his charms in the beginning. Jongin had put up a good fight, but like everyone else, he succumbed to them in the end.

So you're in?” Jongin looked at him with hopeful eyes.

Am I?! How can you even ask me that??!” Sehun gave him a high-five handshake, sealing the deal.

I think you're going to have to come home with me to convince my parents though,” he chuckled.

 

 

 

After a 12 hour flight, melting in some tiny little airport in the tropics, if you could call a rotting hut on a small strip of grassy clearing in the middle of the jungle an airport, Sehun realized that he should have maybe gotten some more details before agreeing to follow Jongin to the ends of the Earth. Jongin had forgotten to mention that the school they were transferring to was actually a boarding school, located on a privately owned island in the middle of the ocean. It took a train, three planes and a boat to get there.

Hot chicks with superpowers. Hot chicks with superpowers,” he chanted to himself as he got eaten alive by tiny invisible insects and other bigger, grosser ones he wished were invisible.

 

 

 

Today was the day. Sehun's stomach got attacked by a swarm of butterflies every time he breathed, he was so excited, and nervous at the same time. Their first day at superpower school. He had the hardest time keeping his cool, mentally bolting his feet to the ground to try and keep himself from skipping around like an idiot. First impressions were important.

You ready?” Jongin asked as they stood in front of the main gate. It was huge and very sturdy looking. It looked more like its purpose was to keep something in, rather than keeping people out.

Sehun would have been lying if he denied being just a tiny bit intimidated. At least Jongin could defend himself with his powers. Sehun was at a serious disadvantage. But he was a sharp, tall, magnificent man, quick on his feet, ready for anything, and had a talent for everything. He was ready, he told himself.

He nodded and together they opened the ginormous gate. It was heavy.

 

The schoolyard was bustling with young supernaturals, loitering around before class. One was juggling with no hands. It was incredible. Sehun could hardly believe his own eyes. The balls were just moving of their own accord in mid-air. He blinked twice, rubbing his eyes to make sure he wasn't imagining this. In all the amazement, he had failed to notice one crucial detail that gradually dawned on him.

Eh, Jongin... where are all the girls?” he glanced over the entire schoolyard, not spotting a single one.

About that...” Jongin swallowed a chuckle and pointed to the huge letters on top of the front gate.

You've got to be kidding me,” Sehun yelled, flabbergasted.

AN ALL-BOY'S SCHOOL?!?!!”

He could not believe it. He was so disappointed, he couldn't even begin to comprehend what this meant.

Apparently, hormones and superpowers don't mix, too many distractions.”

Jongin shrugged, sporting the biggest grin in the history of devious friends.