Ultimatum

We Got That Power

 

You are transferring schools, and that's final!” Jongin's mother put her foot down, glancing at his father for support, which she readily got. It was game over before he had even entered the room. Still, he wasn't prepared to go down without a fight.

But... but... what about Sehun...? I'll be completely alone... with those... freaks.” Jongin pouted harder than he had ever pouted before.

I'll die.” he let himself fall into the sofa theatrically, as if these were his last moments on Earth.

Don't be overly dramatic. Those 'freaks' are nothing but normal kids with extraordinary talents, just like you.” his mom had calmed down, but her voice was still stern.

Talent? You say it like it's a good thing. I can't think of a single good thing about it.” he grunted, annoyed.

It's a curse.” he insisted. He hated his power, if you could even call it a power, it was an unpredictable disaster waiting to happen. He wanted nothing more than to be normal. If there existed an operation to remove his stupid supernatural gene, he would be the first to sign up without asking any questions.

His parents couldn't relate at all. They were the lucky ones, they had escaped this awful fate. Apparently, this gene of terror skipped a generation or two, or was it that it was only activated when two mutant bloodlines came together? Agh, he didn't really understand the logistics. His mom had tried to explain what she knew to him, but she wasn't really a fountain of information and he had refused to listen to the little she did know. The only thing he knew for sure was that he had drawn the short straw. Both his parents' families had a history of 'giftedness' as they called it. 'Gift, my ', Jongin had called it. Neither his parents nor his grandparents had been inflicted with this curse. Only him. He was the unlucky one.

They had tried to convince him that it was a privilege, that he was fortunate to be so special. Well, the time when he got the new gym teacher to resign on his first day hadn't felt all that fortunate. Poor guy.

A couple of years ago they had been notified that they were getting a new gym teacher, and he had expected the usual middle-aged has-been who was still reliving his long-gone glory days as a mediocre athlete, but boy, had he been wrong. It was a tall, gorgeous, young god of sports that had entered the gymnasium that day. Jongin had gotten so flustered, that he triggered his dormant powers for the first time. Only he had no idea he had powers, and even less of an idea of how to control them.

Thankfully, back then Jongin's powers weren't as strong as they were today. However, his instant crush on the new teacher had been stronger than anything he had ever felt before. And so, during this divine but unfortunate soul's first class, his shirt kept flying up, flashing all the students, Jongin's wishful thinking doing all the work. It was quite the show, 'god' was definitely not a misnomer. But Jongin felt really bad because it took him a while to connect the dots and realize that it was him who was causing it.

At first he had just thought that this guy was really unlucky for wearing such a light, aerodynamically challenged shirt that flew up without any visible reason, revealing what it was supposed to hide, embarrassing the novice teacher. It was hilarious, Jongin and his classmates all got a good laugh out of it. But when it kept happening, Jongin, along with all the other students, started thinking this couldn't really be a coincidence. It started looking like the teacher was doing this on purpose, which was all kinds of creepy. And by the time Jongin figured out it was probably him, and not the teacher, who was making it happen, it was too late. The pitiful, inexperienced gym teacher fled the scene, embarrassed and confused, never to return again.

Incidentally, this was also the moment Jongin had realized he was gay. It had been one whirlwind of a day. At the time, he hadn't really been sure about either, but as time passed, numerous unfortunate incidents had made it abundantly clear that the world refused to let him be normal in any shape or form. The gay thing he could deal with, the supernatural thing, not so much.

Also, the fact that he couldn't even do anything useful with his powers wasn't helping. It just came and went as it pleased and usually did nothing but cause mayhem. At first, it had been really random, just small things every once in a while. Typically when there was an especially handsome guy in the vicinity. And so he started avoiding anyone and everyone who made him feel anything. He never allowed himself to have a crush on anyone, ever again. But lately, it was getting worse and more frequent. Pretty much every time he got nervous, something bad happened. Which, shockingly, wasn't helping to make him less nervous. He was stuck in a vicious cycle with no way out.

 

Honey, today was the last straw. You are clearly not managing to gain control over your abilities on your own. And you are getting stronger every day. You need help. Right now, you are a danger to both yourself and others. What if next time the pen happens to fly in the direction of someone's head? Are you going to be okay with having killed someone?” his mother's eyes were full of concern. He knew she was right. He had been afraid of hurting someone from the moment he discovered that there was something wrong with him.

On one condition..” he finally said, defeated.

I'm not sure you're in a position to be setting conditions, but okay, I'll play along. On what condition?” she sighed. She looked very tired. She had probably been worried sick ever since she got the call from the school.

Sehun transfers with me!” he demanded stubbornly, surprising even himself.

Sehun? ...Sweety, that makes no sense. Sehun doesn't have any... doesn't have that kind of talent.” she said, perplexed.

If I'm allowed to go to a normal school, Sehun should be allowed to go to an abnormal school. Everything else is just blatant injustice and inequality! It's basic human rights! Unless you're saying us freaks are not human...” Jongin insisted as if he was on some sort of crusade for equality and harmony between the normals and the abnormals.

Truth be told, his normal school had no idea about his abnormalities, and the reason he had to transfer schools was that it was no longer safe for him to be around normal people, so his premise was fundamentally flawed, nullifying his entire argument. But he didn't care. He was grasping at straws and he knew it, but it was all that he could do. Being sent away to the craziest boarding school there was, alone and afraid for his life, seeing Sehun only on Christmas and summer vacations, was simply not an option.

Have you even discussed this with Sehun?” she shook her head.

Yeah, he's totally on board.” Jongin lied. Sehun had no idea Jongin had powers.

Jongin knew he was acting like a five-year-old. But then again, his life was on the line, this was no time to be a grown-up, having to quietly swallow whatever crap was thrown his way. No. He was going to be five and he was going to have a stubborn tantrum until he had his way.

And his parents?” she looked at him skeptically.

Oh, you know how his parents are.” he just said, shrugging, thankful for once for Sehun's extremely weird hippie parents. When he heard Sehun was an army brat, he had pictured a stereotypical soldier dad, an intimidating muscle mountain who was scary strict and extremely square. He could not have been more wrong. His father was just as gangly as Sehun, saving them the paternity test, and he had joined the army to try and make it better and more humane, battling to make the military more environmentally conscious and raising awareness to protect minorities.

Alright, if that's the only way you'll agree to go, I'll talk to the school and see what they say. No promises. This is a long shot.” she caved.

 

Great!

Now all that was left was confessing to Sehun that supernatural powers were real, that he had one and convince him to leave the comfort and safety of his own home to come with him to a boarding school with hundreds of kids that could actually use their powers properly and were a million times more powerful and dangerous than them.

 

Piece. Of. Cake.