I Won't Ever Lose, As Long As You're There

Don’t be afraid, I’m right here

After the treadmill run, Yuta smiled grabbed a ball from a  cabinet and gestured for the two to follow him. They walked out into the courtyard and Dejun was beaming happily as Yuta started dribbling the ball using his feet.

 

“Yuta hyung’s really good in football.” Dejun elbowed Hendery lightly.

 

“He’s showing off.” Hendery remarked.

 

“Well I am indeed showing off.” Yuta laughed and passed the ball to Dejun who kicked the ball across the courtyard. “It builds up his endurance, and we therapist try to vary our routines so the kids won’t get bored.” Yuta informed Hendery who nodded. “You can join him if you want to.” Yuta offered and Hendery nodded.

 

Hendery ran off to Dejun and once the older saw him, he passed the ball to him. It’s not an accurate pass but it made Dejun laugh, it was fun to have someone to play with.

 

“So About the open mic, do you really want to do it?” Hendery asked and Dejun nodded.

 

“Will you join me?” Dejun asked and Hendery nodded.

 

“Of course, with my voice? They’ll love me.” Hendery grinned and that made Dejun laugh loudly causing him to cough. Dejun raised his hand to stop Hendery as he continued to cough. It eventually stopped and took a deep breath.

 

“Of course they’ll fall for your voice.” Dejun repeated.

 

“Hendery Ge!” They heard a call and the aforementioned looked at Yangyang running towards him.

“Oh Yangyang.” Hendery greeted back. “This is Dejun.” Hendery introduced him.

 

“Hello! Oh you’re Lucas Ge’s cousin.” Yangyang said excitedly and Dejun nodded happily. “Lucas Ge! I found your cousin!” Yangyang shouted and Lucas smiled and waved at them. “Too bad he can’t come closer.” Yangyang shrugged but Dejun just smiled at him.

 

“It’s okay, we both know how risky it is.” Dejun shrugged but then a loud laugh came barreling in and Hendery found a laughing Chenle in his arms while a tall kid ran after him.

 

“Jisung, 6 feet apart.” Yuta yelled and Jisung stopped and glared at Chenle.

 

“Oh, sorry.” Dejun bowed his head but Jisung shook his head and gave him a thumbs up.

 

“No worries hyung.” Jisung assured him then walked towards the chair where Yuta was sitting.

 

“So Did you invite him ge?” Chenle asked and Hendery nodded. “Cool! I was really looking forward to it!” Chenle chirped.

 

“How about the open mic?” Yangyang asked and Dejun nodded.

 

“I would love too but I am kind of scared to perform alone.” Dejun answered.

 

“Chenle can sing.” Yangyang nudged his cousin.

 

“I do not.” Chenle spat back but Yangyang gave him an unimpressed look. “Ok, I do sing, a bit.” Chenle said and then grinned at Yangyang. “You sing too!” He challenged Yangyang who glared at him.

 

“okay enough, what about we all sing!” Dejun suggested.

 

“That would be hard you know, learning to harmonize with each other.” Hendery said but Dejun shook his head.

 

“It’ll be fun.” Dejun assured him.

 

“Guess we need Kun ge’s help.” Chenle said and without warning he was running away and pulling Jisung out of the courtyard.

 

“Guess that’s my cue to bolt as well. Nice meeting you Dejun ge!” Yangyang waved and then joined Lucas who waved at his cousin before leaving.

 

“you two still need to do the drill for half an hour.” Yuta reminded them and the two nodded and started passing the ball between them once more.

 

 

When Dejun and Hendery returned to the hospital room, he was surprised to see Yangyang and Chenle already there with Kun. Dejun excused himself to change into some clean clothes while Hendery sat on Dejun’s bed, the only vacant place. Dejun Joined Hendery by the bed and looked at Kun with confused eyes.

 

“I heard you’re doing the open mic.” Kun answered the unasked questions and Dejun nodded. “I took the liberty to ask Dr. Moon for it and he said that you can definitely join the open mic. And since both Ten and I will be there, you’re going to be monitored adequately.” Kun explained and Dejun smiled wide and turned to Hendery. “So now, do you have a song in mind?” Kun asked and Dejun took out his phone to play a popular song, but it’s in Chinese.

 

Kun smiled hearing the song and by the end of the song, everyone was grinning. “Good choice.” Hendery nodded in approval.

 

“Hey, doesn’t that have like an English version?” Yangyang asked and Dejun nodded.

 

“I liked that version too.” Dejun answered and something in Kun’s brain clicked.

 

“I have to make a quick call.” Kun excused himself and made a phone call.

 

“So you know English?” Yangyang asked and Dejun nodded.

 

“A bit. Not a whole lot.” Dejun answered.

 

“That’s cool! You’re a language genius!” Chenle gasped.

 

“I wouldn’t say that, Ten ge is a language genius.” Dejun countered and everyone agreed.

 

“so I asked the organizers.” Kun said as he entered the room. “And you can play instruments.” Kun added and eyed everyone in the room. “So, what do you say, guitar percussions, piano and violin cover?” Kun asked and the teens’ jaws dropped before squealing like dying dolphins, loud enough for Doyoung and Ten to rush into the room to find Kun under a dogpile with four teens laughing as they squish the life out of the nurse.

 

 

“What happened?” Doyoung asked as he helped Dejun from the pile and checked on him.

 

 

“I just asked the organizers if they could play instruments.” Kun said and Ten’s eyes glimmered.

 

 

“Oh my goodness, they can?” Ten asked and Kun nodded. “That’s good! Oh my god. We have to film their performance!” Ten exclaimed.

 

“Can you stream it on the page?” Dejun asked and Doyoung smiled then nodded.

 

“I could ask for permission, do you really want to?” Doyoung asked and Dejun nodded.

 

“I want Lucas ge to watch it.” Dejun confessed.

 

“Of course, we’ll take care of that.” Doyoung smiled happily.

 

“Okay, let me arrange something for you and we’ll have next week to practice it out.” Kun announced and everyone cheered.

 

“Thank you!” Dejun hugged each and every person in the room and they all felt tears prick in their eyes. “It really means a lot to me.” Dejun too was almost in tears and Hendery held his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.

 

“We’re all here for you.” Hendery assured him.

 

 

Just like Ten who has passion for dancing, Kun has passion for music production and singing. And even though the two met at Med School, they actually bonded over Music and club activities; Kun was the man behind Ten’s amazing tracks that he used especially during competitions. So when Ten saw his boyfriend hunched in front of his computer arranging a the instruments for the teens, he couldn’t help but reminisce on the days they shared back in college.

 

“You’re pretty serious about this.” Ten uttered and Kun merely nodded. “You were never this serious, except when you did Dream in a Dream.” Ten had a nostalgic smile and Kun turned around to him with his own smile.

 

“We both know why I do this Ten.” Kun said and Ten nodded in reply.

 

“Of course, I am thankful you know.” Ten shrugged but Kun sighed.

 

“Should we really support it though?” Kun asked and Ten teared up.

 

“I may sound cruel Kun, but I would much like them both to experience love before pain rather than feel just pain.” Ten sighed.

 

“Then we do what we can.” Kun smiled at him then leaned in to kiss his forehead. “We will support them even if we know how it’ll end.” Kun added as Ten nodded; they knew the story won’t have a happy ending but at least they’ll try to give it a happy adventure.

 

Dejun was surprised to see Hendery on a Sunday because he knew they are meeting Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Hendery had a huge grin and when he entered the room, he was holding a beatbox with him while Yangyang had his violin case on his back.

 

“I’m borrowing your keyboard.” Chenle announced and Dejun really had no idea what the three are up to.

 

“We need to practice because Kun ge had this amazing arrangement.” Hendery announced and on cue, Kun entered with Doyoung who was sighing.

 

“He haven’t had his coffee.” Kun chuckled and that made Doyoung scowl at the older. “I met Jaehyun at the lobby holding 2 cups, probably one for you?” Kun teased and Doyoung blushed and exited the room.

 

 

“Are they a thing?” Chenle asked and Kun kept his mouth shut. “Not fair.” Chenle huffed.

 

“Let your hyungs and gege’s live in peace.” Kun reprimanded the younger then turned to Dejun. “You have to clean your P.E.G. button then we ran up your pump.” Kun informed Dejun who nodded and pulled his pump set up closer to his bed.

 

Kun washed his hands thoroughly before he took an antiseptic wipes and went to Dejun. Chenle and Yangyang looked at Kun who gestured for them to leave the room for a while which the two obeyed. Hendery was going to follow the younger two when Dejun stopped him, so he sat on the beat box and watched as Dejun lifted his shirt to reveal the P.E.G. button. Kun cleaned the skin around the button carefully and checked for any signs of infection. Once Kun was satisfied, he discarded the antiseptic pads and washed his hands again. He checked the chart and instructed Hendery to get the proper amount of formula. Hendery did as he was told and handed it to Dejun who thanked him and asked if he could fetch the drip bag.

 

“I usually do this myself, but it’s nice to be taken care of once in a while.” Dejun giggled and Kun smiled as he took out a fresh set of tubes to be inserted to the drip bag.

 

“Okay let me take care of you sweetheart.” Kun said and took the formula to put in the drip bag. He made sure that it was tightly sealed before attaching the tube then looping it onto the pump. With expert hands, Kun had set up the pump and feeding tube before he placed it on Dejun’s button and starting the feeding with the prescribed dosage.

 

“I usually have my feeding during sleep.” Dejun informed Hendery.

 

“So what changed?” Hendery asked.

 

“His dosage changed, he needed a few extra calories.” Kun answered for him. “It’s not that bad, it’s normal. Dejun gets his dosage changed depending on his test results.” Kun added and that made Hendery at ease. “Get the two rascals for me will you?” Kun asked and Hendery nodded before leaving the room. “Now you young man, I have a surprise for you.” Kun smiled and handed him a score sheet with guitar tabs.

 

Dejun’s eyes lit up as he looked at the arrangement and hugged the nurse out of happiness. “You really did this for me ge?” Dejun asked and Kun nodded.

 

“We gonna make your family proud.” Kun held a fist and Dejun fist bumped it.

 

“Thanks Ge.” Dejun smiled happily as he read the music sheet.

 

Hendery, Yangyang and Chenle came back just as Kun handed Dejun his guitar to tune. Kun smiled and helped Chenle with the Keyboard as Yangyang tuned his violin.

 

“So, you have your sheets with you right?” Kun asked and everyone nodded. “I’ll explain how it will go.” Kun said and Dejun gasped.

 

 

“You really did a whole arrangement ge?” Dejun asked and Kun nodded.

 

“He’s legend.” Chenle shouted and it made Dejun laugh.

 

“Well Thank you Lele.” Kun smiled at his brother. “So we will start with Chenle’s key board intro, it will be mellow and will set the mood. After that we will have Hendery do some beats followed by Yangyang with the sandshaker before Dejun will play the guitar. Chenle will play the harmony because we want this to be all you Dejun. Yangyang will have his bit of violin part after the chorus.” Kun explained and everyone nodded.

 

“What version shall we use?” Dejun asked.

 

“Up to you.” Kun smiled at him and Dejun nodded.

 

“I’d like the English version.” Dejun said and they all nodded.

 

“Very well, I am sure you know the chords Dejun, the boys got a bit of practice at home.” Kun explained and the boy nodded.

 

It was not a good start though, they made mistakes, laughed them off and started over. Kun watched with a smile as the four bonded over music, something that reminded him of his own clique, with Doyoung asking him to arrange some Ariana Grande song while Johnny film them. They had their hobbies back in college, but they all bonded over music and looking at the teens now, it felt nostalgic.

 

“They look like they are having fun.” Doyoung stepped next to Kun and the older of the two nodded.

 

“They are.” Kun smiled and the two released a sigh.

 

“Well, I gotta remind Dejun of his pills.” Doyoung said and made his presence known, handing Dejun his pills. Doyoung paused the pump to allow Dejun to down the pills. “You sound really interesting.” Doyoung remarked and the teens challenged him. “Hit it DJ!” Doyoung pointed to Dejun who laughed and strummed the familiar chords.

 

Remember when I told you

No matter where I go

I’ll never leave your side

You will be never be alone

Even when we go through changes,

Even when we’re old

Remember when I told you

I’ll find my way back home.

 

 

The three were surprised but Dejun just smiled proudly at his nurse. Doyoung laughed seeing the three speechless and ruffled each of their hair. “Doyoung hyung, you’re awesome.” Chenle remarked and Doyoung laughed at that.

 

“Your brother is not the only legend in this hospital.” Doyoung winked at him and that made Chenle laugh loudly. “Carry along, let’s see some progress.” Doyoung said and the teens were determined to make this work.

 

Right before lunch, Ten dropped by with lunch and everyone had their share of food, and Dejun too because he just got off the feeding tube an hour back. He popped in some enzymes and Ten handed him his share. They were sure that they were breaking a lot of hospital rules so when Dr. Moon checked up on them, they were frozen, with Yangyang halfway through biting his chicken leg.

 

“Oh, we have a full house.” Dr. Moon chuckled. “I just dropped by to check if the feed was done.” Dr. Moon asked and Kun personally reported to him. ‘Ah so they are practicing. I like that. Don’t mind me then, and I am really looking forward to your performance. We will be cheering for you here.” Dr. Moon assured him and bid his goodbye.

 

“Aren’t hospitals usually strict?” Hendery asked and it made both Kun and Ten laugh out loud. “Am I wrong?” Hendery asked and Ten had to stop himself from literally rolling on the floor.

 

“Well yeah, we are professionals but when it comes to patient care, we can be creative.” Ten answered.

 

“Don’t get us wrong, we really do follow protocols especially for critical and highly vulnerable but in cases like Dejun, who had history of long confinements at a time, we tend to make it less of a routine and more of a familial ambience.” Kun added.

 

 

“Oh, so like to make them comfortable?” Yangyang asked, chewing the chicken meat.

 

“Yeah, and I appreciate it.” Dejun answered with a smile. “It takes away the loneliness.” Dejun added and Hendery had to suppress the urge to wrap the boy I warm embrace and shower him with encouragement.

 

“We are so slaying this open mic.” Chenle grumbled and that made everyone laugh. “Let’s get it!” Chenle shouted and everyone cheered.

The next week was spent practicing with Chenle and Yangyang doing facetime with Lucas and Jisung to update them on the progress.

 

“I asked mom to bring you some stylish clothes.” Lucas said over the call.

 

“It’s not necessary.” Dejun replied.

 

Dude, you’re going to perform in front of people. You gotta look good!”  Lucas argued and Doyoung agreed with him.

 

“He’s right you know.” Doyoung said then left as soon as he made sure that Dejun’s vitals are okay.

 

“Fine.” Dejun grunted.

 

Yangyang and Chenle left earlier on Friday to meet with their patient companions while Hendery accompanied Dejun to examination rooms to have his Pulmonary function test, basically to check his lung performance. Hendery was asked to wait outside and he did as he was told.

Dejun was used to the procedure, and Jaehyun was a gentle technician so he was at ease with the procedure. Jaehyun still reiterated to him as protocol, and Dejun understood it completely. Jaehyun recorded his height and weight as well as his age, he inputted it in the computer and allowed him to enter the test box. Jaehyun then handed him a nose peg to pinch off his nose. Once it was secured, Jaehyun allowed him to take in the sanitized mouthpiece.

 

“Okay Dejun, normal breathing first.” Jaehyun said and Dejun nodded. “Ready?” Jaehyun asked and Dejun nodded. “breathe normally for me, that’s it.” Jaehyun instructed. “good job now I want you to expel all the air out, yes that’s it good job. Now take a deep breath then blow it all out, that’s it push all the air out.” Jaehyun said and then smiled as he let Dejun finish. “Very good Dejun.” Jaehyun said and let the boy step out of the box. “I’ll send your results over to Dr. Moon.” Jaehyun told him and Dejun thanked him. “So you ready for your date tomorrow?” Jaehyun asked and Dejun blushed.

 

“It’s not a date.” Dejun countered.

 

“Take it whatever. So you excited?” Jaehyun asked and Dejun nodded.

 

“We’ve been practicing really hard.” Dejun confessed.

 

‘That’s really good. We’re all excited to watch you perform. We’ve been bugging Ten hyung and Kun Hyung to stream it.” Jaehyun informed him.

 

“I really appreciate it Jaehyun hyung.” Dejun replied and Jaehyun smiled at him.

 

“Well get out of here, your boyfriend is waiting.” Jaehyun said and Dejun blushed scarlet.

 

“He’s not my boyfriend.” Dejun puffed his cheeks making Jaehyun laugh.

 

“Not yet.” Jaehyun remarked.

 

“At least I have progress good luck with Doyoung hyung!” Dejun shot back and Jaehyun cleared his throat.

 

“I’m working on it.” Jaehyun glared at Dejun who laughed at the technician’s misery.

 

Hendery greeted Dejun when he stepped out of the room and they walked back to Dejun’s room in a comfortable silence.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow then, rest well okay?” Hendery bid his goodbye and Dejun waved at him and wished him a safe trip.

 

 

Dr. Moon was not happy with Dejun’s result and Jaehyun bit his lower lip and looked really apologetic about it. “It’s not your fault Jaehyun.” Dr. Moon assured him.

 

“It’s just, the degeneration is quite fast.” Jaehyun stated and Dr. Moon nodded.

 

“The decrease on Dejun’s lung capacity is alarming but it can be managed.” Dr. Moon said and Jaehyun sighed before taking his leave.

 

 

The morning before Hendery is bound to pick up Dejun, Dr. Moon talked to Dejun’s aunt and the patient himself. It was not a good prognosis but still, it is manageable. “we don’t see him getting a lung transplant for now but if the next tune up we see a prominent decrease in Lung capacity, we might need to consider him into the list.” Dr. Moon informed them and Dejun nodded.

 

“Can I still sing?” Dejun asked and Dr Monn smiled softly.

 

 

“Of course Dejun, we really are looking forward to your performance later. I want you to enjoy it the best that you could. Your test result might not be that good but don’t let that get to you okay? You have a voice of an angel and the world needs to hear it.” Dr. Moon assured him and smiled at him even more. “I do believe you need to be dolled up for your date.” Dr. Moon winked at him making Dejun flush. “Taeyong will help you dress up.” Dr. Moon laughed and Dejun’s aunt thanked him.

 

 

“You know that I don’t mind you having crushes Dejun,” Mrs. Wong started.

 

“I know Auntie, I know that’s why I don’t want to go further than what we have. I want Hendery to have someone who can stay with him for a lifetime, not someone to be a burden.” Dejun looked downcast and it broke his aunt’s heart. Dejun is a precious kid and it was just cruel fate that had given him such illness.

 

“I am still thankful though, he makes you smile a lot.” She caressed his cheek and smiled fondly at him. “Your mom would love to hear stories about him.” She said and Dejun laughed.

 

“I’ll call her later.” Dejun assured her.

 

There was a knock on the door and Taeyong entered with the widest smile the nurse could muster. “My services has been called.” Taeyong announced but Doyoung pushed him to the side.

 

“Mrs. Wong, let us take care of Dejun.” Doyoung said and she laughed and nodded.

 

“Take care of my nephew, my cousin will be expecting pictures of her handsome son.” Mrs. Wong warned them and the two saluted.

 

Taeyong looked at the clothes Mrs. Wong brought and was all giddy with the printed t-shirts and hoodies. While Taeyong sorted out the clothing, Doyoung assisted Dejun with his pills and packing his guitar. He then checked his vitals before directing him to drink a few pills. Taeyong finally chose an outfit, something casual but still stylish.

 

“Change into these darling.” Taeyong announced and Dejun took the clothes and changed in the bathroom. “He’s going to wear a beret okay?” Taeyong informed Doyoung who nodded.

 

Dejun changed into a loose striped shirt and orang jeans. Doyoung then called him to sit down to have his makeup and Dejun was surprised, what make up? “You’re going to perform for people, you need to look flawless.” Doyoung reminded him and Taeyong took out his arsenal of makeup. “Don’t ask, that’s his stage ready kit.” Doyoung said then pulled out a hair dryer from his own bag.

 

 

‘Wow, didn’t know you two co-owned a salon.” Dejun giggled and Taeyong laughed.

 

 

“You don’t even know the half of what we did in college.” Taeyong said and started working on making Dejun the pretty doll that he is.

 

By the time Hendery arrived to pick him up, Johnny was taking a sort of mugshot of Dejun which confused the lad. Dejun giggled and waved him over so they can take a picture together. Johnny smiled at him and gestured for them to pose. “Johnny hyung’s taking my memorial photo.” Dejun said and that made Hendery frown.

 

“It’s something Dejun insists, he wanted to look good in his photo so when he feels like he’s at his best we take pictures.” Johnny explained. “Smile for me Hendery, let’s have a prom photo to send over to Mama Xiao.” Johnny pouted and upon hearing that it was to be sent over to Dejun’s mom, Hendery fixed himself and posed like a prince. “What are you prince Eric?” Johnny laughed.

 

“Yes, and I am Ariel.” Dejun joked and Hendery grinned as they made eye contact.

 

 

“Okay let’s be serious here, loosen up a bit you two.” Johnny directed and soon took photos of them in various moods and poses.

 

Hendery led Dejun out of the room, helping him carry his guitar since Dejun has to bring his oxygen concentrator with him. They met Kun talking to Mrs. Wong by the lobby and the two smiled wide seeing them. Mrs. Wong asked to take pictures of them and the two posed even more for the woman. Kun assured her that he’ll look after Dejun and after some warm hugs, they were off to Lotte World.

 

 

Lotte World was huge and boy, the teens were really impressed with the scale of it. They explored the tower first, and they ended up doing a few rounds in the ice rink before they head off to lunch. Dejun and Hendery were both skating at a snail’s pace but that was okay, they were enjoying each other’s talks. A kid was looking at Dejun with judgmental eyes but her mom soon apologized for making him uncomfortable.

 

“It’s okay.” Dejun assured her.

 

After the ice rink, they made a detour to the carousel before they get their lunch. Yangyang and Chenle both grimaced as they watch Ten and Kun being all couple like as they took selcas and hold hands. “I think I am going to puke. No offense Hendery ge, Ten ge is cool but this amount of PDA, It’s illegal.” Yangyang exclaimed.

 

“Trust me, I want to dig my eyes out.” Hendery assured him and they all laughed.

 

“Oh hush, what about we take pictures instead?” Chenle asked and the four of them posed, laughing as they try to fit into the frame.

 

After lunch, they then entered the adventure park. Chenle and Yangyang were all about riding the extreme rides but Hendery and Dejun stayed back, opting to walk around and take pictures instead. They did just that, strolling across the park and laughing as they shared stories of each other. Dejun still get looks of pity but Dejun brushed them off, opting to enjoy the moment he has with Hendery.

 

Dejun knew that he shouldn’t fall for Hendery but something inside him is really not listening, and he figured that it was his heart. As much as he wants to progress with Hendery, he also knew that he shouldn’t, he is a walking time bomb that Hendery does not need. But at least he could enjoy these moments, allow himself to believe that they are more but still reminding himself that Hendery views him as platonic. Hendery is different and he can tell that the boy is sincere in spending time with him, something that he hadn’t had in a long time, a companion who doesn’t judge, and perhaps he can even consider Hendery as his friend.

 

“Watch it.” Dejun gasped as a body collided with him and he pushed back, with Hendery bracing him to keep him from falling.

 

“You watch it” Hendery shouted back.

 

“You shouldn’t even be here.” The boy taunted.

 

“Says who?” Hendery challenged.

 

“Hendery, let’s drop it.” Dejun muttered softly.

 

“He’s obviously sick and could be spreading his virus.” The boy spat at them.

 

“Excuse me, how insensitive of you.” Hendery spat back.

 

“Jaeseok?” A girl called out and she was glaring at the younger boy. “Shut up and apologize.” She shouted.

 

“No, why would I?” The boy, Jaeseok argued.

 

“Because it is the right thing to do. Do it now or you’ll get grounded and I mean it.” The girl warned and the boy grunted before apologizing. He then ran off while the girl approached them. “I’m really sorry for what my brother had said, he’s a brat.” She bowed her head.

 

 

“It’s okay, I am okay.” Dejun replied.

 

“I’m sorry if I raised my voice.” Hendery bowed his head.

 

“It’s okay. He deserved the scolding.” She sighed. “Are you really okay? You’re not harmed or bruised?” She asked and Dejun nodded.

 

“I’m not harmed, my oxygen is intact.” He assured her.

 

“Can I ask what you’re dealing with? It’s okay if you don’t want to tell.” She said and Dejun just smiled at her.

 

“I have Cystic Fibrosis.” Dejun answered and she gave him a warm smile.

 

“I’m Hanjae by the way, and I work at a kindergarten, specializing in special needs care. So I do understand how hard it is to deal with these conditions.” She was careful with her words and Dejun appreciated it a lot. “I apologize once more for what my brother had said but please remember that you are not supposed to be discriminated for whatever condition you have that is not a norm.” She bowed and then took her leave.

 

“You sure you’re okay?” Hendery asked and Dejun nodded.

 

 

“She’s nice, I bet the kids she takes care of love her.” Dejun remarked and Hendery could only agree to that.

 

“Bless her soul.” Hendery added.

 

 

They were then called to the backstage and Kun joined them to talk to the organizers for the setup and to assure that Dejun’s health is the high priority. Kun was assured by the stage director and soon they were asked to wait at the side while the few acts before them performed.

 

They were the fifth to perform and they have to admit that they were really good, and a few of them really were good and approachable people who shared tips and tricks with them. And one the pianist named Junhui even introduced himself as Kun’s friend.

 

“I took up medical technology, so I am at the labs more, I drew blood once in a while but I usually get sent to the pediatric division, not so much as the pulmonary section.” Junhui explained. “I saw Kun earlier and he was like a mother hen, he asked me to look after you guys.” Junhui said and they all laughed at that, Kun could be a mother hen, along with Doyoung and Taeyong.

 

“You’re really good ge.” Chenle remarked and Junhui smiled and ruffled his hair artistically.

 

 

‘Thank you. But don’t put yourself down, you’re Kun’s brother and that guy is a beast when it comes to music, I am sure you’re one too.”  Junhui chuckled.

 

The Vision was called and Junhui wished them luck and a hug each. Dejun took a deep breath and dodged his eyes all around the backstage. Hendery quickly noticed him and held one of his hand. ‘Nervous?” Hendery asked and Dejun nodded, biting his lower lip as he did. “Don’t be afraid, I am right here.” Hendery assured him and that made Dejun’s face brighten up and his lips turn upwards into a beautiful smile.

 

 

“I trust you.” Dejun said and pulled Hendery into a tight hug. “Thank you.” He said then bounced off to the stage leaving a surprised Hendery who smiled to himself before following after the male.

 

Dejun looked at the crowd and he felt his heart stop at how they looked at him with his oxygen tube. He scanned the crowd for familiar faces and he smiled as he saw Kun and Ten at the front holding banners for support and their phones out to stream the performance on their facebook page. Dejun then looked at Chenle who was smiling while he sat in front of a key board, to Yangyang who had his violin propped on the side for later while he hold his sand shaker and finally to Hendery who was sitting on his beat box and flashing him the most beautiful smile he had ever seen. Dejun took a deep breath and finally addressed the crowd.

 

 

“Hello, I hope everyone has a good day so far.” He started and he heard Ten chant his name, making him chuckle. “I am Dejun, and I have cystic Fibrosis, I don’t want to sound like a geek so just search it up on google.” He said and there were laughter from the crowd. “So I am sick but not contagious, but I need the help of an oxygen concentrator to breathe properly.” He pointed to the tube and the bag he has on his shoulder. “Anyway, I really wanted to perform and my friends are here to help me achieve that.” He said and there were claps from the audience. “I hope you’ll cheer for us, We are your Vision, Thank you.” Dejun finishes and the crowd applauded.

 

Just like what they practiced, Chenle started to play the keyboard and a melancholic sound filled the area. After the last note was hit, Hendery hit the beat box accompanied by Yangyang with the sand shaker. But as soon as Dejun strummed the guitar, everyone cheered because it was a familiar and popular song. It gave Dejun a confidence boost so when he started singing, he was smiling. Dejun’s voice was smooth and clear, It felt like a serenade.

 

The first chorus passed and after that Yangyang’s violin was heard earning cheers. The teens played really well and As Dejun sang the first stanza, the crowd were clapping along to the beat.

I could never let you go

Couldn’t run away if I tried

Cause even hen I’m all alone

You still got a hold on my mind

And I’ll always let you know

That I am always gonna hold on

 

 

--- 

 

The hospital had streamed the live in the common room TV’s and everyone was cheering for Dejun and the three volunteers. Lucas was almost tearing up making the inter nurse Jungwoo coo at him. Renjun, who was also has cystic fibrosis was smiling at him because, even if they can’t see each other face to face most of the time, Dejun and Renjun bonded over music and lyrics.

 

“Hey, you want to perform like Dejun hyung?” Jeno asked Renjun who smiled and nodded.

 

“Would you help me out?” Renjun asked and Jaemin wrapped an arm around him and nodded.

 

“of course, you got the best guitarists here!” Jaemin pointed to Jeno and Mark, another patient who had some bronchitis and is recovering.

 

“Did I hear you scheming something?” Doyoung glared at the teens.

 

“Oh Doie hyung!” Jaehyun called and sat next to the nurse. “Can I sit here?” Jaehyun asked.

 

“You’re already sitting Jae.” Doyoung deadpanned and the technician laughed.

 

“Maybe we’ll need to get your cousin laid first.” Donghyuck butted in earning a shove from Jeno.

 

“I heard that.” Doyoung glared at Donghyuck who stuck his tongue out.

 

--

When the chorus rolled once more, the crowd was singing along much to the delight of the teens. The second interlude featured Chenle’s solo and Kun’s smile was as bright as the sun. For the second stanza, it was in Korean and Chenle sang the first few lines followed by Yangyang. The crowd went wild and cheered louder. Hendery then sang the chorus as the crowd clapped once more to the beat.

 

When the bridge hit, Dejun closed his eyes, left his guitar and then stood to face the crowd.

 

I turn the world over in search of the story that only you can complete

No I won’t ever lose, as long as you’re there

 

As he hit the falsetto, he looked at Hendery and they shared a smile, a true to honest smile that only they could interpret whatever way they want.

 

Ten was ugly sobbing as the performance ended and Johnny had to comment on the live how he sounded ugly much to the delight of the viewers. They ended the recording and soon made their way backstage to congratulate the teens.

 

Amidst the hugs from Yangyang, Chenle and even Junhui, Dejun fell into he arms of Hendery and cried his heart out, how happy he was to be able to perform to people and for them to enjoy it as much as he did. He is thankful for Chenle and Yangyang, don’t get him wrong, but Hendery did something more than just give him a chance to do the thing he most wanted, but he trusted and believed in him. He cried as the warmth became so familiar to him, it’s like how he found his way back home, no pun intended.

 

“You okay Dejun?” Hendery hummed and he felt the older nod against his neck.

 

“Thank you.” Dejun muttered and that made Hendery smile so wide he might as well won the grand prize.

 

“You’re welcome Dejun.” Hendery said and in a split-second act of impulsive bravery, he placed a kiss on top of Dejun’s head and wrapped his arm tighter around the older. “You’re always welcome.” Hendery said, opting to keep the words Welcome home to himself because he knew, that even if he was falling for Dejun, they will never be sure if it will last.

 

 

 

I won’t ever lose, as long as you’re there

 

The line resonated in Hendery’s ears and heart.

 

Dejun eventually pulled away from Hendery’s warm embrace and he gave him a smile, and the younger noticed tears falling from those beautiful eyes. Hendery wiped them with the pads of his thumbs as he cupped both cheeks.Hendery wanted to keep that smile on Dejun’s face no matter what and probably that was the reason why he decided to take nursing after he graduate by March, even more so to study in Seoul.

 

A decision that Hendery knew would reap no fixed future for him and Dejun, but the promise of seeing him more often, even if it meant keeping his growing feelings to himself, was rewarding enough.

 

 

 

------- 

 

 

 

 

a/n: I think the song fits this story well so I used Shaun ft. Conor Maynard’s version of Way Back Home. The instrument sequence is from the Acoustic version of the song. I wanted to also highlight some characteristics of the idols in real life, because I truly think these boys are more than face values; like Kun’s music production or Ten’s dancing, even Johnny’s photography and videography. So I hope everyone liked those little details I added.

 

Yangyang, Dejun and Hendery’s outfit are the ones they wore for The Stage-Rebirth performance while Chenle’s outfit is the one he wore for Quiet down MV