In Spring, We bloom

Don’t be afraid, I’m right here

A/n: Are you ready for some angst?

 

 

----

 

Dejun put on a smile when he stepped into the lobby and greeted Ten in the triage. Ten gave him a smile and then welcomed him with a warm hug. He then ringed Doyoung up before he handed Dejun the sign up form. Now that he’s eighteen, he was already allowed to sign himself in for his routine check ups but for major reports and diagnosis, he is still needs a guardian with him. Doyoung stepped out of the elevator and Dejun ran to hug him. Doyoung laughed as he hugged back and gave his favorite patient a pat on the back.

 

“How are you feeling Dejun?” Doyoung asked and Dejun sighed.

 

“as best as I could.” Dejun replied and Doyoung nodded with a sad smile.

 

“We have a surprise for you.” Doyoung said and Dejun smiled wide.

 

“Am I getting a pet companion? I’ve always wanted one!” Dejun exclaimed making Doyoung laugh.

 

“Oh, you’ll see.” Doyoung replied before he took one of Dejun’s suitcases and walked back towards the elevator.

 

His other things were already delivered to the hospital a few days before his check in, this was customary since Dejun brings along his keyboard and guitar, this is a set that he leaves with his cousin here in Seoul ever since Mr. Wong had secured a job. They always had the same rooms for their patients, since they are in routine check ups and hospitalizations due to their conditions. Dejun’s room was the by the end of the hall and they passed by the nurse triage where Kun and Johnny were both discussing about photography, a hobby the two shared since college and one of the reason they became friends. They both welcomed Dejun with hugs and pats on the back.

 

“You told him the surprise Doie?” Johnny asked and Doyoung nodded then shook his head.

 

“Ah, go ahead enjoy your surprise!” Kun gestured and Dejun giggled and made a run for his room, leaving the three nurses laughing at their charge.

 

“How much did we bet on his reactions?” Johnny asked and both Kun and Doyoung hit him with their clipboards.

 

“We did not!” Doyoung said and they ended up laughing.

 

Dejun was excited because if he indeed got a puppy, he won’t be lonely until Hendery returns by summer. He took a deep breath and turned the knob on his door. He expected the barks from a puppy but a smiling Hendery greeted him and Dejun screamed in high pitch as he run towards Hendery and glomped the boy who almost lost his balance.

 

“Hendery! You’re here!” Dejun was not believing the presence of his friend. “But you’re going to college!” Dejun exclaimed.

 

“Yeah, here! I am studying at Neo University, an affiliate of Neo Hospital. I can drop by every time I am free!” Hendery explained and Dejun just hugged him tightly.

 

“I am so happy!” Dejun remarked and Hendery was surprised to see tears flowing down the older’s face. “I am so happy Hendery.” Dejun reiterated as Hendery wiped away the tears from his face.

 

“I’m happy too Dejun.” Hendery replied and then kissed the older’s forehead tenderly.

 

A knock on the door broke their moment and three nurses were grinning at them. “I guess you liked the surprise?” Doyoung asked as he wheeled in Dejun’s suitcases and the younger nodded as he wiped the remaining tears off of his face.

 

“Whose idea was it?” Dejun asked and they all pointed to Hendery who was grinning at him. “Why didn’t you tell me?” Dejun pouted.

 

“It won’t be a surprise if I did! And besides, I wasn’t sure if I would be able to get in!” Hendery defended himself.

 

“He did work hard for it though, he’s really determined to study here.” Kun praised Hendery who blushed a little.

 

“I figured that you would be happier if I can be your companion 4 times a year not just on summers.” Hendery remarked and Dejun laughed and nodded.

 

“I still want a puppy though.” Dejun remarked and Hendery feigned a hurt expression.

 

“I did all these for you and you still want a puppy? I am hurt!” Hendery faked sobbed so Dejun laughed and hugged the other teen.

 

“You’re not that bad.” Dejun remarked and they all ended up laughing.

 

Once they were settled and Hendery was helping Dejun keep his clothes inside the dresser, Dejun thanked him and then kissed his cheek, making Hendery stiffen and gape at him.

 

“Really thank you.” Dejun muttered with unshed tears and Hendery smiled at him.

 

“You’re welcome.” Hendery replied and they finished unpacking in silence.

 

---

 

Hendery knocked on the door and found a smiling Dejun plucking his guitar. It has been a day but Hendery missed him dearly. Dejun looked the younger and grinned as he eyed the clean white uniform Hendery was wearing.

 

‘Wow, you look handsome Hendery!” Dejun wolf whistled making Hendery laugh loudly.

 

“That’s one way to put it.” Hendery sat next to him.

 

“Ho was your first day?” Dejun asked and Hendery sighed.

 

“Still grasping my head over the course syllabus but I am fine, I can ask Kun-ge to help me study.” HEndery shrugged.

 

“Not Ten-ge?” Dejun asked and Hendery shook his head.

 

“My cousin doesn’t have the patience to teach me medical terms, I’ll leave that to Kun-ge and possibly Johnny hyung but he’s scary.” Hendery shivered making Dejun laugh hard and eventually cough uncontrollably. Hendery eyed him and Dejun signaled that he was okay and he just needed time to settle down. Once he could breathe properly, Hendery handed him a water bottle and Dejun was grateful for him.

 

“Hey, remembered my offer to do covers?” Hendery asked and Dejun nodded. “Tell me if you want to do it okay? I can probably ask Johnny hyung for a camera to borrow.” Hendery added and Dejun sighed but then smiled.

 

“ I thought about it and I guess it’s not so bad. I’ve always wanted to perform so if I can do that online, then why not right?” Dejun shrugged and Hendery was ecstatic.

 

“great, we’ll do it! We’ll record your covers and if you want we could ask for others’ help, I know Kun ge is really good in directing and Ten ge, he can choreograph something, like I don’t know dance something.” Hendery was speaking a mile an hour and that made Dejun laugh, eyes glistening with happiness as he watched Hendery speak so passionately about the possible vlogs that they’ll do.

 

“calm down, you can’t be too excited for something that is yet to be accomplished.” Dejun reminded Hendery who took a deep breath.

 

“It’s just… I am just excited for everyone to hear your amazing voice!” Hendery explained and Dejun laughed even more. “Your laugh sounds amazing too.” Hendery muttered and Dejun stopped and looked at him.

 

“Hendery, why?” Dejun asked and Hendery hummed.

 

“What why?” Hendery asked back.

 

“Why? Why do you do this?” Dejun asked and Hendery sighed.

 

“Can I be honest?” Hendery asked and Dejun nodded. “I like you.” Hendery confessed and Dejun’s face fell. “I know, I know Dejun, I understand the risk and what I am setting myself up for but.. I want to try. I want us to have a fair chance.” HEndery quickly added.

 

“Hendery.” Dejun felt his eyes well up.

 

“Give me a chance? I promise this is all me, I made my choices because I wanted to, I wasn’t forced by anyone.” Hendery explained.

 

“I can’t stay until the end Hendery.” Dejun started to cry.

 

‘I know Dejun.” Hendery responded.

 

‘But I am willing to try, I want to give it a try too.” Dejun confessed. “I like you a lot Hendery, you’re the first to see me beyond my disease.” Dejun expressed and Hendery had to wipe the tears away from Dejun’s face. “You’re a good person Hendery and I don’t want to hurt you, but can you forgive me for being selfish and want you to stay with me even if can’t do the same to you?” Dejun asked and Hendery nodded.

 

“Of course Dejun, of course.” Hendery replied and planted a kiss on his forehead. “I’ll stay as long as you want me to.” Hendery replied and pulled the still crying Dejun into a warm embrace.

 

“Are we boyfriends now?” Dejun asked as they fit themselves on the hospital bed with Hendery careful not to entangle Dejun’s tubes especially now that his feeding tube was on for the night.

 

“Yeah, if you want to.” Hendery replied.

 

“I like the sound of boyfriend.” Dejun was giddy and then took out his phone to call his mother.

 

“what are you doing?” Hendery asked and Dejun just giggled as his mother’s face appeared.

 

Dejun spoke in cantonese which Hendery understood and he tried to look presentable for Mrs. Xiao. She is a kind woman who had a beautiful smile that Dejun inherited for sure.

 

“This is Hendery, my boyfriend.” Dejun introduced him and Hendery waved at her awkwardly.

 

“You’re really handsome!” She exclaimed and Hendery flushed a little.

 

“Thank you Auntie.” He replied and she clicked her tongue.

 

“My son-in-law calls me auntie?” She feigned a hurt expression and Hendery bowed his head in apology.

 

“Ma?” He tried again and she smiled wide.

 

‘That’s more like it. How do you find my Dejun HEndery?” She asked and Hendery took a deep breath.

 

‘Is this right minus wrong?” Hendery asked making her laugh. “I fell in love with his passion. I just see so much life and light in him that I wanted to be the one to keep that.” Hendery replied.

 

“You really think so?” Dejun was tearing up once more and Hendery was quick to cup his face and assure him with a smile. “Thank you!” Dejun exclaimed.

 

“Okay I don’t want to be a third wheel here so just take care honey, I entrust my Dejun to you HEndery.” She said and Hendery smiled and saluted.

 

“You count on me me!” Hendery chirped and they ended the video call.

 

“Stay until I fall asleep?” Dejun asked and Hendery nodded.

 

“I’ll stay overnight, I packed my uniform for tomorrow.” Hendery informed him and Dejun smiled and snuggled closer to him.

 

“Don’t stay up too late.” They hear Doyoung from the door and they both laughed before settling on the bed.


”Good night Hendery.” Xiaojun muttered and snuggled into Hendery who held him tightly.

 

Morning greeted Dejun with a changing Hendery and he smiled giddily watching his boyfriend dress up for school. Hendery pecked his cheek after and pointed to his aflovest and Dejun nodded before he started coughing.

 

“I’ll help you come on.” Hendery urged Dejun who sat up straight and allowed Hendery to fit the aflo vest into Dejun and handed him his nebulizer. “Kun ge will check up on you okay?” Hendery informed him and Dejun raised his thumbs up making the younger smile at him.

 

Kun entered the room a little after and ushered Hendery off to his class before he checked the feeding tube, Dejun’s medicine tray and his vitals.

 

“You seemed to be happy.” Kun commented and Dejun grinned as wide as his mouth piece can allow. “You still want a puppy?” Kun asked and Dejun nodded like one. “We’re planning to adopt cats so you want to go with us and look for puppies? We can’t adopt them but at least you can check them.” Kun mentioned and that made Dejun smile widely. ‘I’ll ask your aunt and Dr. Moon.” Kun assured him and Dejun was happy with that, having to see puppies would be enough since he has Hendery with him.

 

Weekend came so fast Hendery was surprised to see Dejun all up ready and almost bolting out the door on Saturday.

 

“you seemed excited!” Hendery asked and Dejun nodded.

 

“Kun ge told me I could come and look at puppies!” Dejun exclaimed and Hendery laughed at how excited his boyfriend was over the thought of meeting puppies.

 

“Yeah, they’re waiting in the lobby. Ten Ge checked you out. Your concentrator?” Hendery asked and Dejun pointed to his sling bag. “Okay, let’s go.” Hendery grabbed his hand and they went out of the room.

 

Hendery and Dejun met Renjun and Jeno at the hallway which made the two confused since the volunteer program usually are just for summer when schools are out. They waved at them and Renjun smiled at Dejun and pointed their intertwined hands. Dejun mouthed “boyfriend’  to which Renjun grinned and nodded. “Me too.” Renjun mouthed back and that made Dejun giggle.

“Them together? Wow.” Hendery remarked as they continued their walk towards the lobby where Ten was waiting for them.

 

They walked towards Kun’s car and the eldest drove towards the nearest community animal shelter to adopt their fur babies. The animal shelter welcomed them and gladly assisted them to the available pets to be adopted with Dejun and Hendery walking towards the Dog kennels while Kun and Ten looked at the kittens. Dejun was very happy to look at teh dogs, each one of them barking happily to get their attention. A staff asked them if they are going to adopt but both declined saying that they just accompanied Ten and Kun.

 

“You can still pet them, we take volunteers to take care of them once in a while so as long as you are not allergic we will welcome you.” She informed then and Dejun was happy.

 

“We have to be careful with your tubes, they could chew on it.” Hendery stated and Dejun sighed.

 

“We have had dogs adopted and trained to be companion pets, so your case won’t be different.” She further assured them and that made Dejun happy. “If you are allowed by your doctors, you can drop by and enjoy the company of the animals here.” She added and that was an amazing arrangement.

 

Dejun and Hendery looked around the kennels and they were so happy to see that the animals were being taken care off. Out of all the puppies and dogs in the shelter, one particular dog captured Dejun’s attention. It was a beagle and she’s not shy to show how cute she is. She yipped and yapped loudest among the bunch and Dejun just cooed at how pretty she is, Bella, the name suited her, a very pretty dog. The staff allowed Dejun to play with her, with Hendery trying to steer the puppy away from the tubes. That’s how Kun and Ten found them, happily playing with the puppy. The two looked at each other and grinned, they know what to do as they went to the front desk to finish the paper works for their adopted babies

 

When The staff led them out and took the puppy with them, Dejun and Hendery were confused but the smile on Kun’s and Ten’s faces while they hold a pet carrier each. Then as the staff placed the puppy inside another Pet carrier, Dejun was almost in tears. “Surprise!” Kun and Ten spoke at the same time and Dejun ran to hug them both, thanking them sincerely.

 

“You get to have a boyfriend and a pet companion!” Hendery announced and Dejun was jumping for joy until the he coughed up concerning the staffs but Kun and Ten assured them that Dejun was okay.

 

‘We need to train her first. Do you have a name?” Kun asked.

 

“Bella.” Dejun answered and Kun nodded.

 

“We need to train Bella first, but i hope she’ll make your day a little better.” Ten said and Dejun was just so thankful for them, his nurses that treat him like their own brother, not just someone who has a medical condition.

 

“Thank you so much.” Dejun was crying now and Hendery wrapped his arm around his boyfriend to calm him down.

 

“You deserve it Dejun.” Hendery muttered.

 

A/n: no angst yet