Summer at Seoul

Don’t be afraid, I’m right here

For an eighteen year old Hendery, visiting his cousin for the summer at a different country it is a bit of freedom already. He was listing things that he’ll do like visit leisure parks, do the cheesy tourist things like wear hanboks and probably chase a summer fling. But what he didn’t expect was his cousin’s boyfriend fetching him at the airport and explaining that his cousin was also coming over for the summer and it was convenient that their flights are near each other.

 

 

“I’m Kun.” his cousin’s boyfriend was friendly and had a great smile.

 

 

‘Hendery.” Hendery shook his hand.

 

 

“I can see the resemblance you have with Ten.” Kun chuckled. “Let’s just wait for my cousin okay?” Kun said and Hendery nodded, he can’t do nothing about it.

 

 

It took thirty minutes for a teen to dash towards Kun and attacked him with a hug and a tremendous loud laugh followed by another teenager who had a louder laugh and a tighter hug.

 

“Chenle?” Kun asked and the younger of the two nodded. “Mom allowed you?” Kun asked and the two nodded making Kun laugh. “Well then let’s go, oh this is Ten’s cousin’s Hendery.” Kun introduced him to his cousin Yangyang and his brother Chenle.

 

The drive to Kun’s and Ten’s shared apartment was extremely loud but Hendery oddly fit in to the conversations. Kun and Chenle has a seven year brought by the restrictions on child rearing in China but the Qians wanted another kid so they chose to pay the price and Chenle was their treasure. They were good people and Hendery felt at ease, at least his cousin has someone dependable and caring, he can tell the Kun is a really good guy.

 

 

They arrived at the apartment and Ten welcomed them with a wide smile. Kun introduced his cousin Yangyang and brother Chenle, and Ten immediately turned into a mom at them. Hendery cringed at his cousin but he figured, being a pediatric nurse did that to him.

 

“So how did you two meet?” Yangyang asked over dinner, take out cause Ten was not a cook and Kun was busy picking up the teens.

 

 

“Med School.” both answered at the same time.

 

“He’s the popular transfer student.” Kun added.

 

“Oh thank you.” Ten cooed and it made the teens cringe, their faces a mixture of disgust and endearment. “He’s the hot nerd.” Ten remarked and Kun blushed making the teens cringe some more.

 

“Oh please.” Kun swatted Ten away and the younger laughed loudly.

 

 

“Okay, no more vomit inducing questions.” Chenle glared at his cousin.

 

“got it.’ Yangyang fired a finger gun at him.

 

“By the way, you’re going to the hospital with us.” Kun announced and they all dropped their chopsticks. “Surprise, we signed you up as volunteers.” Kun grinned and Hendery took back every good thing he said about him.

 

 

“It’s just three times a week.” Ten chimed in. “You’ll just visit the patients and talk to them, it’s like  therapy for them.” Ten added.

 

“But, what about our vacation?” Chenle pouted.

 

“Where do you think your allowance will come from?” Kun asked and both Chenle and Yangyang sighed. “Come on, we got some kids over there that needs some company, we have other volunteers too.” Kun tried to soften the blow.

 

 

“Are you okay with that Hendery?” Ten asked and the teen sighed but nodded.

 

 

“It’s only three times a week right? And besides, you can take us to lotte word on your off days!” Hendery bargained and the three teens grinned at the adults.

 

“Of course.” Kun laughed and that was all that mattered.

 

 

----

 

The first day of the volunteer at the Neo City Hospital came and they were led into a room for orientation. The nurse in charge was a giant named Johnny who was scary, like a big brown bear, but the tall nurse did have a pretty soft smile like a fluffy teddy bear.

 

 

“Hello everyone, good to see you.” Johnny beamed at them and one particular teen was very eager to volunteer. “Oh Hello Jaemin.” Johnny chuckled. ‘So just some ground rules, your volunteer times are just in a rotation with 3 to 4 hours per shift so don’t worry, you’re not going to stay here for the whole day.’ Johnny said and some were relieved. “We arranged your shifts already and the specific patients that you’ll spend your time with. Always wear your ID’s and you can use your phones don’t worry about it.” Johnny informed them and they were all relieved.  “So once I call your name get your ID’s from me and go to your assigned nurse for your assignments.” Johnny announced and soon called out names to group them. Hendery, Yangyang and Chenle were both assigned into a group with three other teens including Jaemin.

 

Jaemin was as burst of energy and his friends, Jeno and Donghyuck, explained that he’s just like that, very passionate about volunteering. Their assigned nurse was Doyoung, who Hendery thought looked like a rabbit and to his surprise, Yangyang voiced it out loud. The bunny nurse almost hit the boy with the clipboard but a warning from Kun made him roll his eyes.

 

 

“Okay so I guess you three are Kun’s and Ten’s cousins and brother?” Doyoung asked and the three nodded. “I hope you’re all ready to face little monsters because we are handling babies!” Doyoung chirped and only Jaemin was excited about it.

 

 

“Doie, don’t lie.” Another nurse named Taeyong glared at him. “I’m handling the babies.” Taeyong added.

 

“I was hoping to hold the babies hyung!” Jaemin whined.

 

 

“I know sweetheart, but we got a few teens at the pulmonary ward that needs company.” Taeyong informed him.

 

“And so we will be handling pulmonary patients, here are your assigned patients.” Doyoung handed each a folder with the profile. “I want you to know their conditions and some restrictions so you won’t cause unintentional harm.” Doyoung reminded them and the six nodded. ‘Okay, review your patient friends before we go visit them. I will be back in a few minutes.” Doyoung said and gave them a smile then went his way.

 

 

‘So I am Jaemin, who is Kun hyung’s cousin?” Jaemin asked and Yangyang raised his hand.

 

“That’s me, Yangyang!” Yangyang chirped

 

“Oh my goodness they have the same energy!” Donghyuck gasped.

 

“Is that bad?” Chenle asked and Jeno laughed.

 

“No. At least they are on the same level.” Jeno shrugged. ‘Oh, Are you the oldest?” Jeno turned to Hendery who nodded.

 

“Yeah I guess, I am older than Yangyang.” Hendery replied.

 

“Cool, a hyung!” Jeno smiled and Chenle laughed loudly.

 

 

“I told you to study your patients but I guess you six getting along is a good thing.” Doyoung smiled and handed them each a juice box. “Come on, we don’t want you dehydrated.” Doyoung said and Jeno hugged him.

 

 

‘Cousins.” Donghyuck supplied.

 

“So, I guess we need to brief each other first then we go meet your patients.” Doyoung announced and took Chenle’s folder from him. “So you’ll get Jisung. He’s fifteen and has asthma with COPD, specifically Emphysema.” Doyoung read and Chenle gaped at him.

 

“I’m sorry but those are big words.” Chenle said and Doyoung chuckled then his hair gently.

 

‘I know, but don’t worry about those big words. Just remember that too much exercise makes him difficult to breathe. But we can’t really tie him to bed, so when you go and visit him, you can go out in a while and perform some sports or exercise under his therapist.” Doyoung explained and Chenle nodded.

 

“Okay, I can do that.” Chenle smiled.

 

“So now Hendery.” Doyoung called out and Hendery gave his folder. Doyoung sighed and gave him a sad smile. ‘Your patient is Dejun, and he has Cystic fibrosis.” Doyoung informed him. “He’s eighteen like you, and I bet he’ll love to explain his condition to you.” Doyoung said and handed back the folder to Hendery.

 

After the briefing, they were led to the rooms, some of them were asked to wear masks and gloves to avoid infection. Hendery was the last to be introduced to his patient and what he saw was not what he expected.

 

 

“Hello Dejun.” Doyoung greeted him and the boy Dejun waved and smiled wide at him.

 

 

“Hi Doie hyung.” He greeted. “Oh who is he?” Dejun pointed to Hendery and Doyoung introduced his companion volunteer.

 

 

“This is Hendery, he’s the same age as you and he’ll be your companion for the summer.” Doyoung informed Dejun.

 

 

“Did you tell him about me hyung?” Dejun asked and Doyoung smiled and shook his head.

 

“Figured you would want to do that yourself.” Doyoung said and that made Dejun squeal and hug him. “Now, get to know each other, I will be back with your medical cart.” Doyoung said and left them.

 

“So Hello, I am Dejun, what month are you born?” Dejun extended his hand and Hendery shook it.

 

“Hendery, September.” Hendery replied.

 

 

“oh, you’re a month younger! I’m born on August! Were you forced to volunteer?” Dejun asked and Hendery nodded.

 

“My cousin’s a nurse here, he signed me up.” Hendery answered.

 

 

“Oh, who?” Dejun asked and Hendery was quite taken aback with how enthusiastic Dejun is, like he wasn’t sick.

 

 

“Ten.” Hendery replied.

 

 

“Oh, now I see the resemblance. Nurse Ten is such a joy, all of my nurses here are.” Dejun giggled. “Have you seen Nurse Taeyong, really handsome right?” Dejun asked and Hendery awkwardly laughed but nodded. “Oh, are you uhm uncomfortable?” Dejun asked and Hendery shook his head.

 

 

‘No, my cousin has a boyfriend and I am okay with that.” Hendery explained.

 

 

“That’s good to hear. Nurse Ten and Nurse Kun are both lovely.” Dejun giggled then asked Hendery to sit where he wanted, opting for a chair by the desk. “Is Korean your mother tongue?” Dejun asked and Hendery shook his head.

 

 

“Cantonese actually. I’m visiting from Macao.” Hendery informed him and it delighted Dejun. “I’m from Guangdong! I also speak Cantonese.” Dejun shared. “We are practically neighbors.” Dejun giggled and Hendery’s eyes widened and chuckled; they really are practically neighbors. “I’m here for my treatment, I’m staying with my Aunt’s family.” Dejun shared then sighed.

 

 

“Nurse Doyoung said you would explain your condition to me?” Hendery asked and Dejun brightened up.

 

‘yes! Oh yes I almost forgot.” Dejun giggled then sat on his bed and took in an oxygen tube. “Sorry, I got to use this, talking takes energy and I get out of breath because I get excited.” Dejun explained and Hendery stood to help him because apparently the tubes decided to tangle themselves.

 

 

After that it was sorted out Dejun sat comfortably on his bed and smiled at Hendery.

 

“So I have cystic fibrosis and its a genetic thing.” Dejun started and looked and Hendery who nodded. “Basically normal gene produces mucus as natural lubricants for the respiratory and digestive tracts, you follow me so far?” Dejun asked as if he was talking to a kid and Hendery nodded with a small smile, Dejun talked enthusiastically, and with so much energy. “Good, but my body, they produce sticky and thick mucus, and it blocks the tracts instead of lubricating it.” Dejun looked at Hendery who nodded again.

 

 

“Like you have a flu.” Hendery asked and Dejun nodded.

 

“Yes, like that. But not quite. I am not contagious to normal people but with other CF patients, we are very dangerous to be close to each other.” Dejun explained.

 

“Why?” Hendery asked, concerned and interested.

 

“You see, because of the thick mucus, we are prone to infections. We are prone to transferring them to each other as well. And since we can’t really expel the germs because the mucus is stubborn and sticky, then our bodies are already compromised, it could be fatal for us.” Dejun answered.

 

 

“Oh, I get it, like flu. Since you know when we cough, it can be transmitted to others and when you have weak immune system, you get it as well.” Hendery tried to explain the analogy.

 

“Yeah, kind of like that.” Dejun grinned.

 

 

“So you have a hard time breathing?” Hendery asked, voice tentative so he won’t offend Dejun.

 

“That among things. I don’t get enough nutrients as well, because the mucus blocks the bile ducts and prevents the pancreas from releasing certain enzymes for digestion.” Dejun shrugged.

 

 

“Oh, so you get supplements?” Hendery asked and Dejun snickered.

 

“That among many things. I have a PEG Tube, basically a hole in my stomach so we can have some stuff directed to the stomach.” Dejun informed him.

 

 

“Does it hurt?” Hendery asked, concern painted on his face, but Dejun shook his head.

 

There was a knock and Doyoung wheeled in his medicine cart and asked how they were doing. Dejun gave him a thumbs up and it made the Nurse smile and left them to attend to others. Dejun made Hendery join him and the former informed him that they will sort his medicines.

 

“Living with CF is like living with a death sentence.” He told Hendery and the boy froze at his words. “Death is something inevitable, CF is a terminal disease, but there are ways to make living better.” Dejun smiled and took the pills and his pill box. “These are my enzymes, I drink them before meals. And these are my antibiotics.” Dejun showed the different pills to the volunteer. “I take about 40 pills a day, distributed in a few hours.” He continued as he popped a pill into each of the box.

 

 

“How long do you stay here at a time?” Hendery dared to asked.

 

 

“Usually 2-3 weeks for my tune ups. Then I get discharged for a couple of months, then back again.” Dejun answered truthfully.

 

 

“What tests do you do?” Hendery asked, helping Dejun with the pills.

 

 

“Usually culture swabs, blood tests, x-rays. They monitor my lungs because those were the ones that deteriorate the fastest.” Dejun explained.

 

 

 

“You’re allowed to go out or like exercise?” Hendery asked and Dejun nodded.

 

 

‘Yeah, I do some walks or go to the gym for therapy, some cardio too as long as the PT allows it. I just bring my oxygen concentrator.” Dejun said and smiled at Hendery.

 

“You have a very positive outlook, I like that.” Hendery smiled back.

 

“I try to be, I can’t just sulk and wait for my death could I?” Dejun asked and Hendery shook his head.

 

“I hope you’ll find my company enjoyable.” Hendery said and Dejun laughed.

 

“Don’t worry, I am enjoying myself.” Dejun assured him.

 

 

-----

 

Hendery left the hospital with Chenle and Yangyang, and both quite happy with the work and not really complaining because their patients were really cool and friendly. Yangyang got an OCPD patient named Lucas and he is just a walking (and coughing) meme, and he happened to be Dejun’s cousin; Hendery figured that it really must be their genetics if two cousins were diagnosed with pulmonary diseases. Kun and Ten would not end their shifts yet so they were left to prepare food for themselves and maybe go out and explore. They decided to go to a mall and just walk around, sharing their experiences.

 

“How is Dejun ge?” Chenle asked and Hendery smiled a sadly.

 

“Terminal. But he’s such a ray of sunshine. He’s just so positive even though he knows he could die anytime soon.’ Hendery answered.

 

“Really? Terminal?” Yangyang was surprised. “Must be difficult for him.” He felt solemn.

 

 

“But he still smiles like he’s not afflicted.” Hendery said making Yangyang nod.

 

“Oh Lucas ge mentioned that. He was bummed that he can’t accompany Dejun ge at the moment because of his OCPD.” Yangyang added.

 

 

“I want to do something for him.” Hendery uttered.

 

 

“Oh, maybe he has a bucket list or something, we could help him fulfill it.” Chenle shrugged and Hendery grinned, that wasn’t a bad idea.

 

 

 

----  

 

Hendery was surprised to see Dejun strumming his guitar when he visited him on Wednesday. Dejun gave him a bright smile and motioned for him to join him inside.

 

“You play?” Hendery asked as he pointed to the guitar.

 

“Yeah, basic stuff.” Dejun replied.

 

“that’s cool. I tried learning guitar but it’s hard for me.” Hendery confessed.

 

“I Could teach you.” Dejun offered.

 

“Oh, there’s no hope for me.” Hendery replied and Dejun frowned. “But, I did learn to play the drums.” Hendery added and that made Dejun smile.

 

 

“Wow, that is cool!” Dejun’s eyes were wide and it made Hendery laugh nervously.

 

 

“Why don’t you play a song, I can possible tap on the table and we could have an acoustic session or something.” Hendery suggested.

 

 

“Do you sing?” Dejun asked making Hendery shrug his shoulders.

 

“Not so much, I could say I am decent.” Hendery said smugly and the laugh from Dejun was just melodious. “I am not bad, come on, bring it.” Hendery challenged.

 

 

Dejun raised a brow at him, a challenge really? But then Dejun adjusted his fingers and soon, music filled the room. Hendery listened and a grin formed on his lips before he pulled Dejun’s table and started tapping a rhythm. That made Dejun grin and they both looked in the eyes before bursting out laughing. Dejun then had a coughing fit that made Hendery’s eyes wide and panicked. Dejun raised his hand to assure him that he was okay and when he regained his normal breathing, he smiled wide at Hendery.

 

 

“You’re good.” Dejun remarked. ‘Wow, did not expect that.” Dejun nodded at him then gave him a thumbs up.

 

 

Hendery laughed triumphantly and moved his bangs away from his face and shook his head. “so, hit the notes DJ!” Hendery pointed to Dejun who laughed and nodded.

 

 

“I liked the sound of that, DJ huh? DJXiao in the house!” Dejun cheered and they both laughed.

 

“Come on, you haven’t heard me sing yet.” Hendery whined and Dejun chuckled then started another song.

 

 

Hendery smiled and started tapping the table top once more, in tune with the notes from the guitar. Dejun smiled and when the first stanza came, Hendery’s jaws dropped at how beautiful Dejun’s voice was. Dejun sang with passion, eyes closed but still not missing a chord. When the pre-chorus came, Dejun opened his eyes and smiled at Hendery.

 

“Your turn.” Dejun said and Hendery nodded.

 

 

Hendery sang the chorus, not as confidently as Dejun but it was like what he said, he was decent. Dejun nodded in approval then smiled at him. “Duet?” Dejun asked and Hendery was surprised at the request. “Sing as you normally do, I’ll harmonize with you.” Dejun assured him and Hendery shrugged then started singing. Mid-way, Hendery’s eyes widened some more as Dejun really did harmonized with him.

 

The last of the chord was strung and both Dejun and Hendery were smiling wide as they ended the song, happy and surprised at how they work together. “Oh damn, I wish we recorded that.” Hendery remarked but a cough made them turn to the door where a bunch of nurses and some teens were looking at them with smiles.

 

 

“We had it on FB live on our page, I hope you both don’t mind.” Johnny informed them and Dejun shook his head.

 

“Did we have viewers?” Dejun excitedly asked and Johnny nodded and gave him the phone so he can check the amount of viewers and the comments that they left.  Dejun’s eyes went wide and he smiled, teeth showing, as he hugged Hendery and showed him how the viewers liked them.

 

“They are asking for your names, do you want to tell them? It’s all up to you and we will ask for management’s approval.” Johnny asked and Dejun looked at Hendery who was at awe with the smile on the patients face. He laughed and nodded, of course how can he say no to that? “Okay okay, let’s give you an introduction post. Taeyong will ask Dr. Moon for approval.” Johnny sad and Taeyong glared at him.

 

 

“Why me? You did the FB live!” Taeyong retaliated and a Chinese nurse named Sicheng rolled his eyes and took his phone out.

 

 

“I’ll do it.” Sicheng huffed and then dialed Dr. Moon’s number. Johnny grinned as Sicheng got the approval and Dr. Moon even wanted to talk to Dejun.

 

 

Dejun was ecstatic as Dr. Moon praised him, and with the go signal, Johnny was clear to take pictures of them. Before he did though, Taeyong and Doyoung stepped in to fix Dejun’s and Hendery’s hair and clothes making Dejun laugh and comment how they look like mother hens, Taeyong laughed but Doyoung glared at his patient but then grinned as he finished combing his hair. Johnny asked them to sit by the bed, putting the monitors to the side so it won’t hinder the shot. Dejun smiled wide but Hendery was really nervous and he looked awkward. Ten had to pinch his cousin’s cheeks to make him relax. Hendery sighed but he felt a warm hand on his back and that made him relax.

 

 

“We’ll take a picture okay, if you’re comfortable doing lives, we’ll arrange that.” Johnny informed them and that made Hendery relax. “Smile okay?” Johnny reminded them and took pictures on his phone. He took a few more shots and allowed the two to choose the best shot to post.

 

 

“I like this one!” Dejun chirped and Hendery agreed, because they look really good in that one.

 

 

“Want me to print it out?” Johnny asked and Dejun nodded vigorously. “Okay sweetheart.” Johnny ruffled his hair then turned to Hendery. ‘Want one?” Johnny inquired and Hendery blushed but nodded as well. “Great! Ten your cousin is awesome, what happened to you?” Johnny asked and Ten stuck his tongue out.

 

“I am awesome just ask Kun.” Ten replied making Johnny laugh loudly.

 

 

Once the people went out of the room and left them, Dejun held Hendery’s hand and give it a firm grip. “Can I hug you?” Dejun asked and Hendery nodded. Dejun gently placed his arms around the younger and gave him a warm hug. Hendery smiled and returned the hug, and he never felt so appreciated and taken care off, it was comforting. “Thank you, it means a lot to me that you agreed.” Dejun said when they broke apart.

 

 

“You wanted to perform for others?” Hendery asked and Dejun nodded.

 

 

“I do, just that, I am scared.” Dejun confessed.

 

“Oh, but your voice is really wonderful! It’s amazing!” Hendery praised him.

 

 

“You’re amazing too.” Dejun assured him.

 

“Do you want to do this again?” Hendery asked and Dejun nodded shyly. “That’s great, do it.” Hendery encouraged him and Dejun sighed.

 

 

“I am scared that people will judge me.” He confessed and Hendery felt the tug at his heart, of course, people can be mean.

 

“Do you want me to join you?” Hendery asked

 

Dejun sighed and looked at him in the eyes and nodded. “If it is not too much to ask.” Dejun replied.

 

 

Hendery sighed and held both his hands tightly. “Of course I’ll do it! It’ll be my pleasure!” Dejun suddenly burst into tears and Hendery had to pull him to his chest to comfort him. He could hear Dejun mumbling his gratitude, and that made him really emotional. Did his previous companions did not treat him kindly? Did they even allow Dejun to be at least happy?

 

 

“Thank you. Really.” Dejun wiped his tears away. “You’re the first companion I had who actually took interest in singing with me. And it’s just the second meeting.” Dejun informed him and behind the tear stained face, Hendery saw a boy full of hope, dreams and aspirations, waiting for someone to help him achieve them.  Hendery was overwhelmed, and he was sure that he’ll do whatever it takes to help Dejun achieve those aspirations.

 

“Don’t hesitate to tell me if you want to do something. As long as it’s not illegal, we’ll try to do it.” Hendery assured him.

 

 

---

 

Ten knocked on Hendery’s bedroom door and entered carefully. Hendery smiled as the older sat on the bed and ran a hand on his hair. “You did good today.” Ten praised his cousin. “Dejun really looked happy.” Hendery beamed at that.

 

“Ten ge, why did you become a nurse? You loved dancing.” Hendery asked and Ten sighed.

 

‘I still love dancing.” Ten informed him. “Remember when I injured my knee?” Ten asked and Hendery nodded. “I stayed in the hospital for some time. My physical therapist would let me walk along the corridors of the hospital, especially the pediatric wards. The nurses would greet me and encourage me, even the little kids would chant encouraging words. Then I met 

Nurse Xu, she was one of the older nurses but her care is just amazing. She was taking care of pediatric oncology patients, and even the direst patients had smiles on their faces and they thank nurse Xu. It hit me you know, to be able to bring smiles on those faces.” Ten Finished and Hendery nodded.

 

“That’s an eye opener.” Hendery mused.

 

“You still don’t know what to take for college?” Ten asked and Hendery nodded. Ten ran a hand on his cousin’s hair to soothe his worries. “We don’t really know what we want when we start the journey, but somehow we will end up doing it.” Ten assured him.

 

 

“I really want to help Dejun.” Hendery informed Ten who nodded.

 

 

“We all do, and we are going to support you.” Ten assured him making Hendery smile.

 

 

“You do?” Hendery asked excitedly.

 

“Of course, within our capacity of course.” Ten said and Hendery was grinning like a mad man. “I am kind of scared with how you look right now.” Ten said and they both laughed loudly.

 

“Dejun said that he really wanted to sing, just that no one wanted to do it with him.” Hendery sighed and Ten smiled sadly.

 

 

“Do you want to join him?” Ten asked and Hendery nodded.

 

“Yeah, he’s really good and if singing with him will want him to show it more often then I will gladly help him.” Hendery said and Ten kissed his cousin’s temple.

 

 

“You’re really doing good Hendery. Thank you for caring for Dejun.” Ten said and Hendery noticed tears forming in his cousin’s eyes.

 

 

“Why are you emotionally attached to Dejun?” Hendery inquired.

 

 

“How much do you know about CF?” Ten asked and Hendery shrugged his shoulders. “The life expectancy had been steadily going up for patients with CF due to advancement in medicine, however, there are still a few cases that just progress more aggressively than others, and Dejun is one of them.” Ten informed him and Hendery swallowed loudly.

 

“He’s dying.” Hendery finished for his cousin.

 

 

“faster than everyone else.” Ten added making Hendery bit his lip while he thought for a while.

 

“More reason to help him out.” Hendery smiled sadly and Ten nodded.

 

“Of course.” Ten laughed, he was thankful for having such an understanding cousin.

 

“Are we still going to Lotte world then?” Hendery asked and Ten nodded. “Can we take Dejun?” He asked and Ten was surprised.

 

 

“Are you taking him out on a date?” Ten asked with a knowing smile and Hendery blushed.

 

“I.. it’s not like that. Maybe he wants to enjoy life a bit more.” Hendery shrugged.

 

Ten laughed loudly and ruffled his cousin’s hair once more. “Why not ask him properly then we can plan it out. I think I saw a poster about an open mic at the park.” Ten informed him before he left the younger to himself.

 

 

---

 

Hendery was surprised when his next visit to Dejun, the boy was coughing like a mad man and there Doyoung was just standing and watching him. Doyoung looked at him and raised a brow and Hendery gestured to Dejun who looked liked he was going to cough his lungs out. Doyoung smiled and gestured him to come closer

 

‘This is normal. When he wakes up, a lot of the phlegm is stuck in his lungs so he needs to cough it out. He will signal if he has difficulty in breathing or if he is not feeling okay.” Doyoung assured him. “We’ll just wait for him to settle down a bit so we can make him wear the afflovest and take the nebulizer.” Doyoung pointed to the things on the bedside table.

 

 

“I’m okay.” Dejun smiled at Hendery and that was cue for Doyoung to assist him into the vest.

 

Once the vest was strapped and secured, Doyoung handed Dejun the nebulizer. The younger wore the mask and nodded to Doyoung who the machines. Hendery was surprised with what was happening and Doyoung patted his back.

 

“He’s fine.” Doyoung assured him.

 

“What does that do?” Hendery asked.

 

“The vest vibrates so it can distribute the mucus in his body and the nebulizer helps in relaxing the bronchial tubes allowing him to breathe properly.” Doyoung answered. “after this, he’ll be back as new.” Doyoung assured Hendery.

 

“Do you do this on the daily?” Hendery asked and Dejun nodded.

 

“During sleep, the mucus gets stuck in places so he needs to do this to breathe properly.” Doyoung answered.

 

“Oh, okay, I understand.” Hendery grinned. “So coughing is normal for Dejun?” He asked further.

 

“It is, he has his signals.” Doyoung replied as he eyed Dejun who removed his mask to cough between his elbow. ‘If he is just coughing, he is okay. Let him cough.” Doyoung then nodded to Dejun and he knocked his free fist on his other fist. “If he is doing that, there is something wrong with him. Ring the alarm when it happens.” Doyoung instructed and Hendery nodded.

 

“Got it.” Hendery gave him a thumbs up.

 

“How are you finding the volunteering so far?” Doyoung turned to Hendery who smiled.

 

“I am learning, I didn’t think I would to be honest and it’s good.” Hendery answered.

 

 

“You don’t think that it is a burden?” Doyoung asked and Hendery shook his head.

 

“It was before I started, I came here to have a vacation but it’s not so bad, Dejun is very entertaining to be with.” Hendery assured them.

 

 

“Very well. Can you look after Dejun for me? It may take a while before he is done, there is a timer on the machine.” Doyoung instructed and with a final pat on Dejun, he left them to attend to other patients.

 

Dejun pointed to the chair and Hendery sat on it. He watched with concern as the vest vibrated and continued to make the Dejun cough almost his lungs out. It took a few minutes and when the timer stopped, Hendery stood and helped Dejun out of the vest and nebulizer. Dejun then smiled but moved quickly to his adjacent bathroom to cough out the phlegm. Hendery followed him and held his breath as Dejun coughed out even more. After the ordeal and the bathroom sanitized, Dejun brushed his teeth and smiled at Hendery.

 

 

“Sorry you had to witness that.” Dejun stated.

 

“Oh it’s okay, surprised but I am okay.” Hendery assured him. “Do we have a schedule today?” Hendery asked and Dejun nodded.

 

 

“You’re gonna meet my Physical therapist!” Dejun chirped.

 

 

“We’re going to exercise?” Hendery asked and Dejun nodded.

 

 

“Don’t worry, my therapist is hot.” Dejun giggled making Hendery raise a brow. “You have to see him, he really is a beauty.” Dejun assured him.

 

“Let me be the judge of that.” Hendery replied smugly.

 

“Sure, he’ll be picking me up in a few minutes.” Dejun replied and so they both busied themselves in preparing Dejun’s oxygen concentrator, his water bottle and towels.

 

There was a knock on the door and Hendery’s jaws drop at the person who entered, because damn, Dejun wasn’t kidding when he said that his PT was an eye-candy.

 

“Yuta hyung!” Dejun greeted the man who smiled and Hendery had to stop himself from drooling. “This is Hendery!” Dejun introduced him and Yuta extended a hand.

 

“Hello, I am Yuta, Dejun’s therapist.” Yuta introduced himself and Hendery shook his hand.

 

“Hendery.” He merely replied.

 

“Great, up for some cardio?” Yuta asked and Dejun nodded. “Great, you’re joining Dejun?” Yuta asked and Hendery nodded. “Follow me then.” Yuta said and walked ahead while Dejun slung his bag and Hendery picked up the other bag for Dejun.

 

 

“You’re not kidding.’ Hendery informed Dejun who laughed at him.

 

“But he’s off limits.” Dejun informed him, earning a confused look from Hendery. “You’ll find out later.” Dejun assured him and the to walked behind Yuta who led them to the PT Wing.

 

They took the stairs and made a detour to the nursery which confused Hendery but when he saw Yuta winked at Taeyong who smiled and waved at the PT, Hendery understood. Dejun also waved to Taeyong who beamed a wide smile and pointed to the new borns. Yuta allowed Dejun to marvel at the sight of the small babies while the two medical staff exchange glances and smiles.

 

 

“Excuse me but are you two flirting?” Hendery asked and it made Yuta laugh.

 

“Yeah, we’re kind of a thing here.” Yuta answered. “Is it bothering you?” he asked making Hendery shake his head.

 

“oh no, I’m fine. Ten is my cousin so you know, I am okay with that.” Hendery laughed awkwardly.

 

 

“Oh, I see the resemblance!” Yuta replied. “Okay Dejun, time to head up.” Yuta urged the patient who nodded and waved at Taeyong once more before making his way out of the nursery.

 

 

The PT wing has a gym where patients can do some exercise and Yuta informed Dejun of his schedule. Hendery can join him or just observe him. Hendery thought for a while and decided that he could use a few cardio himself. Yuta nodded and set up the treadmill for both teens. “Should there be discomfort, just stop the machine okay?” Yuta instructed and Dejun nodded.

 

He placed his oxygen concentrator safely on the allotted hook and with a nod, he made Yuta start up the machine. Hendery started his machine next to Dejun and Yuta took his phone to play a song, a small blue tooth speaker was set up near them to entertain them while Yuta took a seat at a safe distance to observe.

 

Dejun hummed to the song and Hendery took the opportunity to bring out the topic of Lotte World.

 

“Hey Dejun.” Hendery called out and Dejun hummed as his answer. “We’re going to Lotte World next week, and I was thinking that you could join us.” Hendery said and Dejun turned his head at him. “Of course if you want to and we’ll ask for permission.” Hendery quickly added and the smile that bloomed on Dejun’s face made Hendery’s heart skip a beat.

 

“Really? You’re inviting me?” Dejun asked and Hendery nodded. “I’d love to!” Dejun replied then turned back to face the window.

 

Hendery smiled and bit how lower lip, he liked the smile on Dejun’s face. “Oh, there’s an open mic too! I am wondering if you want to you know, perform.” Hendery asked and Dejun was surprised but then smiled and nodded, and that was just too beautiful not to be engraved in Hendery’s heart.

 

 

Yuta looked at the two and smiled to himself before taking a picture of the two and sending it to the Staff GC. There where coos and heart emojis, but Doyoung’s comment was an eye catcher.

 

Doyoung: Hendery shouldn’t keep his hopes up

 

Ten: Let my cousin be happy.

 

Doyoung: We all know this will not end well

 

                                                                                                                                                Yuta: we do Doie, but let the boys experience young love

 

Doyoung: I just don’t want them to end up hurting

 

Johnny: We all do, Doie. But this is something they both should face and we don’t meddle

 

a/n: it’s getting long but I really want to post this first or else I would not think I will be able to post it ever.