밀고 당기기 (Push and Pull)

영원한 사랑 (Eternal Love) (DISCONTINUED)

FIFTH

 

It has been a rollercoaster ride. Shuhua’s been playing this invisibility game with Soojin for the past months. They would see each other, know that they were in proximity within each other’s reach, but they won’t acknowledge each other’s presence.

It was kind of twisted; bent following Soojin’s rules.

 

Well, first, Soojin was allowed to ignore her yet talk to her whenever she liked. Shuhua found that absurd, when she tried to do it, Soojin bypassed her swiftly not letting a single word come out of .

 

That’s so unfair.

 

However, she lets the older girl do it anyway.

 

Second, Soojin refused to meet up with the youngest Yeh. Hence, school walks were becoming less and less meaningful without Soojin around. She wouldn’t even sit in their table anymore. While Shuhua’s agitated by the sudden reverse in Soojin’s demeanor, the older Yeh had been more so concerned for her sister. Yuqi thought that Soojin was being unreasonable, even she couldn’t get to her. But, when Soojin wants Shuhua by her side, all she needs was a text of; “ I need you. “ for the youngest to bolt out of her chair and run across buildings to get to her.

 

Finally, their goodnight routine had been erased from existence, instead, Soojin insists Shuhua waits for her outside of her house until she gets home. This has gone overboard still, the youngest Yeh does it without fail.

 

Despite long hours of waiting, she does her homework, eats her dinner, and watches her drama all in the steps of the Seo residence. Due to its frequency, Mrs. Seo had numerously offered the girl to stay at the comforts of their home, convincing the Taiwanese to wait for her daughter even at the door of their household still the girl wouldn’t budge.

 

Every day, she would wait. Multiple times, Soojin came home with someone. It was rare for her to come home alone now. And that someone was the man she saw months ago, in that fated night where everything between the two childhood friends changed.

 

Shuhua expects that when she does this, Soojin would talk it out with her. Being reasonable Soojin was, Shuhua hoped for a newer change. Nevertheless, the youngest ended up disappointed. The older would just pass her by all the time never saying anything and get inside of her home.

 

Shuhua thinks she’s being crazy. In defense, she didn’t know what went wrong. All she did was woke up and find Soojin displaced from herself. The two never realized the immense widening gap between them. Or maybe they were conscious about it, preferring to ignore it at best and move along with their lives.

 

This is a disaster.

 

More of a disaster is their annual sports event. Shuhua had been grumping about it since the announcement had aired through the school’s radio broadcast. With a horrible history in sports, Shuhua would rather lock herself in her room binge-watching all episodes of Vagabond and Crash Landing on You if permitted.

 

The school just happened to have a mandatory attendance for every level, every student.

 

The freshmen had it worse than everyone. They had to attend almost all events their level had a player, cheering and supporting their chosen athletes to battle with upperclassmen. Shuhua again, grumps.

 

“ Oh come on Shu! This would be exciting! We could be going around, seeing all those cute seniors wearing their jerseys. Ohh! I am all about it! “ Elkie persuades her forlorn best friend. Knowing the hatred the girl had with any type of sport made her feel sorry for this heavy-duty task as first years.

 

“ I mean, it’s so unfair! How come we all need to be attending these stupid stupid games? Meanwhile, other levels get to choose to their liking! “ Shuhua counters, the school system, and its stupid traditions. Why can’t non-athletic people cave in?

 

There was no point in this.

 

Shuhua sighs loudly, exhausted from hearing the distinct annoying chatters her classmates were in. From the range of choosing what sport to participate to talk of finding their super senior’s choice of tournament, Shuhua grumps alone in her seat, out of place in this sport-crazed room. She smacked her head in her table, laying down unbothered. After all, it was ‘vacant’ time. The school had been officially replaced with sweat-producing, ego-driven sports competition that everyone, everyone except her had been smitten.

 

Her future looked bleak. Until.

 

“ Wah, is that Cho Miyeon sunbaenim? Wahh! “ That sentence sprung Yeh Shuhua’s life out of the dumps. Shuhua shot right up upon the declaration of Miyeon’s arrival, truly her delinquent and sport-crazed classmates were by the door, asking the ethereal beauty what sport she would be playing.

 

“ Ah, I’m playing sprint this year. “ The goddess responded earning a squeal from her admirers that made sure to try out for the track team to play against (and get a glimpse of the Cho beauty running amongst them) their super senior. Miyeon smiles at them, looking around to see if a certain Yeh was present. Shuhua locks her eyes on her and instantly, Miyeon found her eyes amidst.

 

They smile.

 

Turns out, the senior had picked her up to a trip down to the cafeteria. As long as Shuhua isn’t opening her purse, she’s all set. They were talking about the upcoming sports competition, eventually teasing the senior about her choice of sport going on how the older had outwardly feet and the awkward speed that she had, almost resembling a manhwa character running lamely. The two laughed their way to the line for burgers when Shuhua saw someone familiar in her peripheral vision.

 

Soojin.

 

Somehow, Shuhua couldn’t tear her eyes away as her neighbor and her crew of friends strutted their way into the cafeteria with such aura, commanding all eyes even ears to see all of what they offer. The Taiwanese found herself stilled, she felt everything slowed down like those slow-mo effect emphasis on movies where a dashing bad boy high school prince makes way to the damsel in distress. Soojin looks towards their way, she found Shuhua’s eyes engaging in them for a hot second and then, left to wonder on Shuhua’s side and that was it.

 

It stopped.

 

“ Soojinie made quite an appearance huh? “ Shuhua forgot the beauty beside her the entire time, and quickly glance over. She nods away in agreement as she was handed over her burger. They made way towards the exit.

 

Shuhua may have an observing nature, but there were little details she missed throughout the encounter. For example, the arm around her waist protected securely by the upperclassman though the grip seems strong, Shuhua barely noticed the gesture when Miyeon continues to put up those pearly whites of hers igniting that intimate fire in her chest earning the senior, a bright one of her own. Unbeknownst to the youngest, there were a fiery pair of eyes directed at the two retreating figures.

 

Yet, Shuhua didn’t look back. Despite the itching in the depths of her stomach telling her to do so.

 

x

 

Weeks flew by; time, pacing, and perceivably people have changed. However, count Shuhua out of these changes. It was like she was the only one still affected by that fated night months ago, taking out the trash - doing a great deed for society. That ill twisted night she denied rejection from her memories. She lives as if it happened just yesterday. Everyone seemed nothing out of the ordinary and that she was the only piece stuck in the puzzle, not wanting to fit in.

 

That night had been carried over by her heart up until this moment. And you guessed it right, invisibility game was still in Top 1 charts of Soojin’s favorite game of all time. She added more rules now. Whenever, wherever if Soojin asks for her presence, she is required to be there. No matter what. It wouldn’t be a big deal for Shuhua as it was practically her everyday living that she stuck to Soojin like a gum. But, this was Soojin.

 

And we know now, Soojin doesn’t play fair. So regardless of the compliance, the junior proceeded on her mission to ignore Shuhua by all means.

 

But she was the one who asked for me! This is so unfair.

 

Meanwhile, the sports event in their school had finally commenced. Her sister Yuqi was participating in women’s basketball which was the first game for the sports competition that had airtime spanning a full week off Shuhua’s favorite month of October.

 

How she wished she wasn’t forced into this.

 

She would not even bother to get up, planning on caving in her sturdy pop-up fort she will make inside her room. Harboring tons of snacks to last her a day or two, and yeah she would call those sports in her dictionary. She is persuaded by the fact that building a fort requires great strength and endurance to make it into a great withstanding fort that everyone needs to have. Now that would get her nerves up and running with excitement. Not some freshmen-forced cheerleading squad that needs attending to.

“ Shu! Make sure to cheer loud and clear for unnie okay? I will be looking forward to it! “ Yuqi kisses her sister in the cheek and scram out of their house. It was early in the morning sensing that her sister’s team needed some extra practice before the games, Shuhua lets her be. Hurried and almost disheveled.

 

“ Ew. “ Wipes her cheek from the evidence that Yuqi’s kiss, Shuhua gets up from her seat and proceeded to wash the remnants of her cereal breakfast and chugs down cold water into .

 

She contemplated for a while. She thinks and thinks over. It was rare to see the youngest Yeh member this serious and focused on something. She just looked happy and worry-free all the time.

 

And a bright plan formulated into Shuhua’s brain.

 

She arrived at school. Met up with Elkie and the rest of her classmates to get some refreshments and finger food to enjoy while getting on their cheering mode on as the women’s basketball was about to start. It was Juniors against Freshmen in the first game. Once the food was obtained, the freshmen hurried into the gymnasium to find great seats to make their attendance known to the patrolling teachers that monitored them now and then. Shuhua sat in the middle of the bench, all her friends had seated on her left side leaving empty unoccupied seats next to her on the right side. She just hopes it wouldn’t some creepy freshman or loud crack junior. Amid all the chaotic mess inside her head, the booming whistle horns ringed in her eardrums putting her off from her trail of thoughts.

 

She reverted her attention to the introduction of players. Her heart twitched when Yuqi’s name was called. Shuhua may be terrible in some aspects, failing to show her sisterly love towards her sister but the wide smile in her face made up for it anyway. Yuqi found her sister staring and waved animatedly in her direction causing all attention to Shuhua. Yuqi is a big carebear but , she was embarrassing. Shuhua hides her face for a second when suddenly, she felt rustling and huge noises from her right side. She glances over and guess what.

 

Soojin.

 

Time to activate the plan then.

 

Abruptly turning her head, Shuhua is training her eyes to never leave the court. She is training to use and function her left ear completely to listen in small talks and boy conversations her friends made for the coming men’s game after. Shuhua is mastering the art of shutting off bodily functions such as her right eye, right ear, and the right side of her heart. This was her plan. This was her course of action in reply to the older’s relentless game of invisibility.

 

She was going to ignore her.

 

At first, Soojin looked unbothered. Looking on to see how her level was doing and then going on mindless chatter with that same man from months ago, in front of Soojin’s house. You have got to be kidding me. There was a little gap between them. Shuhua shrugs this off.

 

Fine, if this continues who knows what Soojin might do? For now, Shuhua is keeping her hands to herself. Unconsciously cheering for her sister when she scored a 2-pointer just now. She chants ‘ Song Yuqi! Song Yuqi! ‘ progressively getting louder and louder. She would be reminded what she was here for when her classmates shot her a look. Safe to say, she needs to keep it to herself.

 

“ Shushu! “ Suddenly, Miyeon’s figure comes into the view. Shuhua sees Minnie in hot trail carrying some food for the two, while she casually waving at the freshman. Shuhua waves back at her, greeting them with a big smile.

 

“ Can we sit there? “ Miyeon asks, sporting that infamous puppy look that made onlookers swoon. Shuhua laughs, looking around their bench, unfortunately, there weren’t available seats. Shuhua pouts at the two seniors.

 

“ Miyeon-ah, I see some seats near Yuqi’s team there, let’s sit there instead. “ Minnie projects as she pulls the sad pouting Miyeon to those available seats. The Thai senior had seen their death just now. It was best to get out of there.

 

“ Come later okay? I will sprint fast for you! “ Miyeon yells at Shuhua and then flashing her a finger heart. Shuhua laughs at it. She won’t return it for sure yet, the display of affection ease her a bit from her devilish plans today.

 

Shuhua notices the shift in Soojin’s mood. Although she may be mistaken as the Juniors were now overtaken by Freshmen after a three-pointer by Shin Ryujin.

 

Nevertheless, she continues her façade.

 

Oh?

 

Shuhua was surprised by a certain junior’s appearance, following the movements of such a familiar individual indeed was more surprised when that junior handed Yuqi a bottle of water. That junior appeared rather unrattled with big crowds as this, seeing she had her earphones on, watching on the match that was going on.

 

Hmm. That’s weird.

 

True enough, something did stir in Soojin’s mood.

 

Lunch came to Shuhua’s schedule, the group of freshmen was out and about on the campus. Meeting as much as freshmen and other upperclassmen as possible, or so Shuhua’s friends did. They were on their way to the cafeteria, seeing all those outside concessionaires selling oh so good food, Shuhua couldn’t wait to line up for all of them.

 

Once her group was settled, the girls immediately discussed their schedule for afternoon games. Shuhua mastered muting all conversations at this point, agreeing to all that was being said. She was so busy eating, munching, and devouring her lunch. Talk about an enormous appetite.

 

Shuhua was almost done eating when something touched her cheek.

 

Cold.

 

Shuhua peeks at the cold exterior of looked like a bottled drink. The girls around gasped as they saw who gifted Shuhua a beverage.

 

“ Drink it. You look like you were about to choke. “ Soojin’s voice appeared out of the blue. Shuhua stiffened. She had a plan today, and she was hell-bent in making it successful. Shuhua grabbed the offered drink, tossing it to Elkie and continued her munching. All of the girls were astounded more so, the humiliated junior who was probably rejected due to Shuhua’s indifferent behavior. Soojin coughs awkwardly and moved along.

 

Something is weird.

 

x

 

Track games were commencing and Shuhua was dragged by her friends. She insisted on a five-minute power nap but seeing how the girls were pumped and ready to go, she was left with no option. They were all gathered in the outdoor field, which had the oval converted into track lines for the upcoming game. Shuhua sighs.

 

What good does it bring her to be here?

 

Shuhua was seated with her friends and again she was left with no one by her right side. God, why does this keep happening? Shuhua redirects herself into listening to some music. While the event hasn’t started, maybe she could rest for a while, feeling quite stuffed from her fabulous lunch.

 

She shuffled her playlist, unbothered to hear any song, she went with what her shuffle button will offer. Closing her phone, she closes her eyes and rests them.

 

For you – (G) IDLE

 

I speak with my heart full of words, I’m still regretful

I couldn’t say what I wanted to say, let me see you at least in my dream

At the time I wasn’t brave enough, I couldn’t do anything for you

 

I can’t live without you, I love you

The gap is to be empty

Boy there is no one like you, no one but you

I can’t fill it with someone else, Oh my love is you

 

Shuhua scoffs, eyes still closed. She wonders how could people be afraid to tell someone they love if they truly loved them in the first place. Pondering more on unable to say what you wanted to say, Shuhua could relate to that song lyric. These days, she feels like her words are stuck on . No matter how much she wants to spit them out she couldn’t do so, she can’t possibly say those things out aloud not to Soojin, no.

 

 

Its like the lyrics I give you, is it really hard to convey your feelings?

If your promise is no longer meaningful, then I'll only have quick memories of us

Even if I try to forget, when I close my eyes, I can hear your footsteps

With a smile on your face.

 

The lyrics exactly convey her thoughts right now. It was fruitless, the effort she puts in dusting the idea of her adorned neighbor. It was funny how accurate the lyric was, she even hears Soojin calling out her name. This was a great dream. Out of the blue, her right ear felt like they were being plucked, cracking her eyes open Shuhua adjusts to the bright lights from the sky. She realizes the race had begun, grasping her right ear she wonders where her right earplug went. She followed the cord and saw Soojin.

 

Soojin.

 

Soojin?!

 

There she was. Plugged Shuhua’s right earphone on her left ear, intently listening to the sappy music the younger was putting on. The older perhaps felt the stares from the Taiwanese and decides to return the favor.

 

Just in time.

 

I can’t live without you, I love you

There’s only a little warmth left

Boy there is no one like you, no one but you

 I can’t fall for anyone else, Oh my love is you

 

Someday, even if there’s other people like me, please don’t forget me like I do.

 

They were staring as if the lyrics communicated their inner turmoil for each other. They searched the depths of each other’s eyes, Shuhua finding Soojin’s a vast deep ocean while Soojin finds hers like a blank canvas that a painter purposefully left untouched to reflect such art in her front sight. The blank canvas painted Soojin very well, the junior see each detail well made in her eyes.

 

I can’t live without you. I love you.

 

Soojin tried to convey, she tried to make her feeling be known this once.

 

Shuhua sees a fraction of it, wanting to see more and more.  

 

“ WE WON!! “ Shuhua was pulled by Elkie, making them stand up and unplugging the earphone out of her eardrum. Shuhua was flustered by what happened. She glances on her right side and found her earphones on the ground. Soojin out of sight. Elkie continues to shake Shuhua’s arm as if telling her to celebrate.

 

And Shuhua’s not sure which one to celebrate on.

 

The track games were nearing its end when Shuhua dips out of the field. She excused herself to get some refreshments and maybe finding by chance, a raven-haired junior that never left her mind since then. The Taiwanese freshman walked around the stalls outside the field vicinity and settled with iced lemonade. She stuck around to see if anything strikes her attention (anything, like a girl named Seo Soojin, of course) but all seemed unimpressive to Shuhua. She scans her eyes one last time before heading back to the field when she felt strong arms engulf her.

 

“ I find you! “ Shuhua looks back and sees Miyeon. The senior had looked like she never set out on the track appearing clean and fresh even. Shuhua faces her unintentionally checking the older’s track fit. The seniors sported a royal blue color for their level, her jersey looked fine on her. Yeah.

 

“ Yeh Shuhua, how come I didn’t hear you cheer for me? “ Miyeon displayed her pout once again. The senior had just finished her event, and then immediately looking for the youngest Yeh. Shuhua suddenly remembered what happened earlier and it rose a blush.

 

“ I’m sorry Unnie. I had talked to someone else at that time, it was important. “ The freshman apologized adding her usual courtesy. The senior caved in, letting out a small smile.

 

“ Okay, I will forgive you for that. “ Miyeon responds. Shuhua realizes that she needed to get back soon to her friends.

 

“ Unnie, I need to go now. “ Shuhua was ready to leave, taking a step forward, a step away from Miyeon when she was stopped with a grab of her forearm.

 

나와 함께있어 (Stay with me. ) “ Shuhua glances over her shoulder, seeing the older hanging her head down low. She decides to do so.

 

They were sitting at a bench. Shuhua offered her drink to Miyeon, convincing her she wasn’t thirsty for that matter. While the senior happily slurped on it. They sat in silence when Shuhua notices the discoloration on Miyeon’s left ankle.

 

“ Unnie? Your- “ Miyeon looks at what Shuhua was referring to and laughs.

 

“ Yeah, I kinda twisted my ankle running in the game. Clumsy me. “ Miyeon ends with a laugh. Shuhua abruptly stands and kneels on her right knee back facing Miyeon.

 

“ Get on my back. “ Shuhua says with a serious tone, Miyeon was taken back yet seeing how earnest the younger was, she obliged. After settling the senior on her back, Shuhua grips on the girl’s thighs supporting her weight in their way to the infirmary.

 

“ Hold on to me Unnie. “ Shuhua dashes away right then. Miyeon certainly did so. She wondered what had gone into the Taiwanese’s head but she relishes their moment together. She holds on to Shuhua a little harder, finding stability in the girl’s shoulders. Miyeon holds on, for she hopes this would make the girl hold onto her too.

 

“ Cho Miyeon 학생 (student), for a track athlete I’m surprised you didn’t consult your teacher right away of her condition. But luckily, it was a mild sprain. You will be able to walk and fully extend your left ankle after a few days of rest and ice treatment. Please do restrict your actions meaning, no more running nor jogging. Walking is enough to exercise your ankle to neutralize the stretched ligament. You’ll be running in no time Miyeon. “ The doctor had explained the gravity of Miyeon’s injury. Thankfully, it wasn’t a torn ligament or a fracture. That could have made Shuhua a lot more tense than she is now. Miyeon flashed a cheeky grin at the younger girl after the doctor’s recommendations, as if telling her it wasn’t a big deal after that heroic sprint she did.

 

Shuhua scoffs.

. ( Cheeky monkey)

 

“ Miyeon?! “ Shuhua hears a very familiar voice, Minnie.

 

“ Yah you big pabo! Look at you all bandaged up! หญิงเงอะงะ (clumsy girl). “ Miyeon covers her ears protectively on the raging Kim Minnie talk. Minnie continues to nag at her carelessness. Shuhua could only laugh at their situation. She notices that only Minnie could bring down the great tower of Miyeon’s stubbornness and give an earful to the senior.

 

Shuhua had just reminded herself that she left her friends in the field.

 

“ Unnies, I have to get going now. My friends are probably worried about me. “ Shuhua clears the on-going bickering and stands up from her seat. Bowing at her seniors, Shuhua excuses herself.

 

“ Take care of her Minnie unnie! “ And then she dashes off again.

 

“ Yah! Yeh Shuhua don’t leave me here with Minnie! “ And Miyeon earned a rough pull on her left ear. Needless to say, her left hand is the only survivor of today’s events.

 

Shuhua managed to reunite with her friends. She got an earful of her own by Elkie, lecturing her about “ running off alone” and promised to not do it again. She reserved the encounter with a certain senior from her, knowing how they get caught up on such news. They headed to the last event of today’s competition opener. Swimming.

 

This is why Shuhua hates mandatory attendance. She fears the waters no matter how deep or shallow they may be. She suffocates of the feeling underwater and the possibility of not having enough oxygen will lead to her eventual death, which she suffered two times in her early years after an accident on playing around a well at the ancestral house they visited, another was caused by Yuqi who wasn’t aware of her sister’s fright. She was rescued much faster than the well she was under before, and this lead to Yuqi’s immense guilt and self-pitying despite the reassurance that the youngest was well.

 

Shuhua was heavily guarded by her friends after this common knowledge. Elkie held onto her when they entered the area. They had to walk a long stride to get to the seats for the audience and they never lost their focus on their Taiwanese friend.

 

“ Shuhua. “ Soojin appeared out of nowhere in front of the said girl. Shuhua stiffened. Because they had been halted from their continuous motion making them still near the swimming pool 8-feet deep. Shuhua didn’t dare to leave her eyes on the ground. She will make sure she stays on it.

 

“ Shuhua, I need to talk to you alone. “ Soojin raises her volume for all of them to hear. They stayed motionless for a while, unmoving until they see or hear a sign of approval from the youngest. Sensing that Soojin was persistent and wouldn’t go away, Shuhua nods to her friends at Soojin’s request. They left her hesitantly. Eyes locked on her as they make their way to be just ahead by a few steps from the two so that they can still see Shuhua. Soojin advances on the girl. Leaving a few steps of proximity, Soojin sighs.

 

“ Are you avoiding me? “ Shuhua’s breath hitched, she didn’t know what to say. She couldn’t bear this much anxiety now. She had two greatest fears in her life; one with water and one with Seo Soojin. Shuhua heaves nervously, just shaking her head sideways to motion ‘no’ to her neighbor and proceeded to make small steps to get away from their position. But what Shuhua didn’t expect was the pull from Soojin.

 

Too much force.

 

“ Shu-“ Shuhua didn’t even know how she managed to fly across and found herself slowly falling into the pool. Not again.

 

She plunged in so deep she was near the pool floor. Soojin gets out of her trance and dives after the girl. She swims and picks up Shuhua in a flash that the girl was out of the water in no time.

 

“ SHUHUA! “ The girl’s friends came to her aid, Soojin pulls the girl up, out from the water. Shuhua was trembling, zoned out. She stared helplessly at the pool. Soojin grabs her legs, taking out of the water as well and turning her the other way. Not wanting the younger to see the sight of water anymore. Her friends had wrapped a bunch of towels they stole from a swimming team nearby covering their friend. Soojin regrets silently in the background. Until Shuhua lets out a cry. The junior pushes herself out of the pool, getting on her feet.

 

다시는 안해서 미안해. “ Soojin speaks softly, targeting only to Shuhua, the person she swore she wouldn’t harm in any way. Without a glance, Soojin walks away. Leaving Shuhua’s friends furious. By now, almost all have witnessed what happened. They were on their phones, typing out the incident along with Soojin’s terrible attitude that left a certain poor freshman in tears.

 

你是如此糟糕, 穗珍. ( You are so bad, Soojin. )

 

x

After the frenzy, Shuhua was advised to return home. Her parents were called and her mom rushed over. Shuhua was still soaking wet in the guidance office, trembling at the cold breeze the air conditioning was mouthing out. Her mom busted open the doors.

 

“ Mama. “ Shuhua cried at the sight of her mother. Her mom had been teary-eyed since the information got to her. Mrs. Yeh embraces her daughter right away.

 

的小孩(Sweet baby. ) “ The mother silently cooed her daughter to calm her down. Shuhua clung onto her mother for dear life. The guidance counselor had quickly explained what had happened. They were still looking for Soojin at this point wanting to confirm whether this was indeed an accident or other case of bullying. Mrs. Yeh stopped the counselor right then.

 

“ There is no need for that Miss. I believe in Soojin’s innocence. We will resolve this as a family. There must be a valid reason why this happened. My daughters had a misunderstanding. “ Mrs. Yeh cleared any issue of bad blood in Soojin’s name. They were already family, the Seo’s had been with them ever since they moved to Korea. She was sure something had occurred between Shuhua and Soojin. Best believe, the girls will tell her in any case.

 

The counselor understood, Shuhua has not shown any signs that she was bullied and there was no history of misconduct and bad behavior on Soojin’s side. The mother and daughter left the room, still entangled with one another.

 

Mrs. Yeh had rubbed her hand up and down to engage in some heat in her daughter’s system.

 

,我回家吧.( Let’s go home baby. ) “

 

Shuhua had a cold in aftermath of what happened. Yuqi called and burst in flames. Yelling that she would Soojin and beat the hell out of her. Their mother reprimanded her to do so and ordered the second eldest to bring Soojin home tonight for she wanted to talk to her. Yuqi was forced to swore that she wouldn’t lay a finger on their neighbor. Her mother had cooked up some soup for her to eat. She ate it slowly, still appalled from the twists of fate. Well, at least she had enough reason to skip tomorrow’s games now she’s sick.

 

Way to go for sports.

 

Shuhua had put away her bowl at her bedside table, she had burritoed herself in her blankets from the cold she was experiencing. She had been too cold to sleep the tiredness away when she heard her mother’s voice.

 

“ No, its okay Mrs. Seo. I’m sure Soojin and Shuhua had a little misunderstanding. They will make up like they always do. “ Her mother talked to no one, must be on the phone with Mrs. Seo who may have received the news by now. Shuhua sighs, they always amended the strains in their relationship but Shuhua’s not so sure about this one.

 

She takes account that this had overstretched for a long time already without them knowing. Now, they got themselves a soaking mess.

 

A migraine lurks back into Shuhua.

 

What had gone wrong, Jinjin?

 

True to Mrs. Yeh’s power, Soojin did arrive without Yuqi’s touch. The older Yeh did look constipated like she had held in a bad fart. She balled her fists, making way inside their home with Soojin warily in suit. Their mother had a warm smile in her, inviting the girl to sit in the dining table while she goes wake Shuhua up.

 

Mrs. Yeh tones out the harsh whispers from her daughter and knocks softly on the youngest’s door.

 

“ Come now baby, let’s eat. “

 

The meal started in silence. Mrs. Yeh tending to Shuhua’s needs while the older Yeh glares towards her friend that made Soojin’s head stooped so low.

 

“ Yuqi dear, stop it now. Soojinie couldn’t eat in your gaze. “ Mrs. Yeh says without a glance, casually putting food on Shuhua’s plate. Yuqi sighs loudly and gets up to get water.

 

“ I’m sorry about Yuqi, Soojinie. You know how she is with little Shuhua here. Protective and scary. “ Mrs. Yeh assures the raven-haired girl who lifted her head by slight adjustment. The older woman handed food towards Soojin, showing care and love despite what she did to Shuhua.

 

“ I-I’m so so-sorry Mrs. Yeh. I-I didn’t mean for it to happen. I wouldn’t dare to hurt Shuhua in any way, I got carried away from our conversation. But it is not an excuse for such action, I am truly sorry Mrs. Yeh. “ Soojin sprung up, bowing to the woman of the household who was across her. Soojin sniffles, letting little tears drop to the floor full extent from her 90-degree courtesy. Soojin understands if the light of the Yeh household storms off on her, berate and scold her to her content. She knows that she had done a grave sin against their sweet family and she for one, would certainly cross anyone who hurt her loved ones. Bringing more weight down, Soojin bows down lower than the dining table.

 

Yet, she hears giggles as a reply instead.

 

“ Well, I do admit what you did anger me. But, I believe more on the trust and love the two of you have for each other. Seeing Shushu here tearing up to your apology, I say you are already forgiven. So, eat now before the food gets cold. And then, you two talk. “ Mrs. Yeh looks at the two same-aged friends, who were quite perplexed on the turn of events. The adopted Yeh sat beside her best friend, offering her mom’s infamous beef soup to Soojin, the Chinese drooping her sight to elsewhere but to her friend’s direction albeit her gesture of giving food gave it away.

 

Soojin will take it, for now, compelling to talk to the girl later on.

 

While all of this happening, the most affected ‘victim’ here had absolutely no say what so ever, she cannot physically open to spill the rapid train of thoughts that she had going on for the past minutes. Shuhua dotes her eyes to be fixated on the raven-haired girl who by months, dismissed her presence, didn’t even explain to her what she had done wrong, and ultimately shut her off.

 

The Soojin she knew years ago seem to be there but there was something new about her. She couldn’t pinpoint it yet.

 

Shuhua did all the staring, sensing no reciprocation from the older girl who had hesitated on each action, something she’s never done whilst visiting the neighboring house. Shuhua wanted the girl to look at her, to see what she wanted to say.

 

I’m fine Jinjin.

 

I’m fine.

 

I’m fine even if you keep hurting me.

 

Shuhua shed a tear after she said it subconsciously. She is fine if the girl wanted to keep hurting her, ignoring her, or what, she will be fine.

 

, 在吃 (Eat now, baby ). “ Shuhua hears her mother say, humming in obedience. She focused on her food, missing the eyes finding hers in that split second.

 

x

 

Shuhua is being tucked for bed, with her mother putting more cushions around her. She left hot milk on the bedside, ushering her to sleep to recuperate her health, sensing a major fever coming down. Shuhua nods. She could only wish to drift into the conversation being held between her sister and their neighbor.

 

“ Did you two fight? “ Her Mama croaked a question, Shuhua stares deep into the ceiling, “ I don’t know. Something changed Mama. “

 

“ Then, make sure it’s a good change okay? “

 

Shuhua wants to, she could dream of having a great change with Soojin. However, she doesn’t know what to do now.

 

The next morning wasn’t so kind on the youngest Yeh, her fever intensified. Her temperature isn’t going down anytime soon, Yuqi volunteers to stay but she realizes that she had games throughout the day. Mrs. Yeh shoos her second eldest, taking a day off to take care of Shuhua. Yuqi pouts, “ I will kick that Seo’s ! She made you sick! “ Shuhua grins at her sister, dismissing her by a wave of a hand. Shuhua passes out right after.

 

The next day her fever had gone down, she was feeling a little better but her mother insists she takes another day of rest to ensure that her body had fully recovered. Kissing her mother goodbye, Shuhua checks the time. It was still too early for eating, she better lay back down and catch up on her drama.

 

Maybe sports competitions weren’t so bad.

 

The following day, Shuhua felt brand new. She replenished herself, had downtime despite the bombarding messages from Elkie and the rest of her classmates. She reassures them she was well enough to go to school. She does admit her dislike for sports but laying around for three days had her sore, she needed to go out today.

 

She wore a collared polo shirt with black pants and black Vans. Shuhua didn’t bother with makeup, there was no going back on that relationship.

 

Going out of the house after making sure that the doors were locked, Shuhua skips happily. She was happy seeing the sun just slightly out, it wasn’t so overpowering thus not having her burn to death. She smiled at the star, this relationship she could work with. She minds her steps when she saw a certain neighbor at the end of the street.

 

Soojin?

 

She was about to call out the girl when she saw the girl being fetched by the same man months ago. Oh?

 

Shuhua reminds herself to talk to Soojin about this.

 

It never came. Soojin avoided her like a plague. She could not get even an inch closer when the girl walks out from her. It was like this for the remaining days of their sports competition. Shuhua was running out of days to confront the older. So she decides to recruit more help.

 

“ You seriously need me to do what?! “ Yuqi blasted through the walls, Shuhua managed to slip her out for few minutes before her game to lure their neighbor to talk to her.

 

“ Come on Yuqi! I need to talk to her, we all know she’s been avoiding me. So please help me! “ Yuqi had a deep crease in her forehead, she didn’t want to say that she was the reason why her same age friend had barely escaped her sister and her ongoing pursuit for the raven-haired. She didn’t have the heart, to tell the truth. Not today, she decides.

 

“ Okay fine, but you better give me something out of this. “ Yuqi accepts the task, with a heart full of burden. She felt like she was betraying her sister, at the same time, she knows this was the right thing to do or so Susan would tell her.

 

“ Thank you! You are the best! Catch you later, love you! “ Shuhua speeds off while blowing a kiss towards her sister, leaving the junior sighing in her demise.

 

Yuqi was in deep .

 

The day came, Shuhua had prepared her questions and a little speech for the older girl. She wanted to organize her thoughts before Soojin gets to the art room, which Yuqi managed to get through her ‘connections’ surprising Shuhua more and more with the popularity she had. She paced around the empty room, she couldn’t contain the anxiety she was feeling. She feels a grip in the pit of her stomach from time to time yet fades away after some breathing exercises.

 

She needed to get through this to have her answers.

 

Amidst her rumbling, a loud bang from the back door puts an end to it. In came a blonde tall figure, Shuhua almost takes back praising and thanking Yuqi later.

 

“ Yah Song Yuqi! What am I doing here? Wait, are you locking the door? Open this door right now! Or you're dead meat. “ Guess not, she’ll be kissing Yuqi’s at home.

 

“ Seo Soojin-ssi. “ The blonde girl turned around at the mention of her name and instantly regrets it.

 

“ Yuqi open this! “ Soojin was now frantically banging the door, Shuhua drew nearer and nearer. Soojin felt the cold exterior of the wall, she had nowhere to go.

 

“ Why are you avoiding me Unnie? “ Shuhua bats her eyes sadly. Soojin almost chokes on her spit. She shifts abnormally, shyly pushing the younger girl away with her hands. She proceeds with little strength until Shuhua grasps onto them.

 

“ Why Unnie? Why are you hurting me? “ Then it dawns upon the blonde junior. She kept hurting Shuhua with every she does. Shuhua was staring intently still gripping her arms, eyes watery.

 

“ I’m not Shu! I’m busy around the club. That’s all. “ Soojin drops her arms along with Shuhua’s, causing the girl to lean into her shoulder. Head rested on her left, Soojin stayed motionless.

 

“ I miss you Unnie, don’t leave me just yet. “ Shuhua cried, pouring her unknown feelings into her sobbing. Soojin damned herself internally, she didn’t like how the younger continues to welcome her with arms wide, heart open despite her doings.

 

Soojin lifts the girl’s head from her shoulder, holding the two fluffy cheeks of the Taiwanese, she cups them with care. Wiping the tears running down, Soojin almost wishes to kiss them away.

 

“ Shuhua-yah, I’m truly sorry for what had happened. I know that I may have hurt you so much, and I want you to know that it wasn’t your fault. I just had some bad decisions. Unnie is sorry. “ They hugged after, Shuhua tightening the embrace and Soojin clinging on.

 

“ Come back to me Jinjin. “ Shuhua speaks, and the junior couldn’t agree more.

 

I’ll come back, Shu.

 

The two friends promised to spend the last day of the sports event together, considering it as a hangout just for the two. Shuhua even made the older pinky promise, which she holds sacredly to heart. The other girl complies. With smiles in their face, they parted.

 

Shuhua skips in a tune of ‘ I Got Sunshine in A Cloudy Rain ‘ or so she thinks. She was heading to the cafeteria to meet her friends when she was called out.

 

“ Shuhua! “ Miyeon. Miyeon who looked a lot better with her little hops, the younger meets the girl mid-way to end her foot misery.

 

“ Unnie, you shouldn’t walk like that! You’re going to strain your ankle even more. “ Shuhua pouts, Miyeon just smiles in response, adding a cutesy twisting act.

 

Ew.

 

“ Ah, I missed you! I didn’t get to meet you a few days ago, Minnie’s been on my back for my recovery phase. I got away from her just now. So before I’m found, are you free this Saturday? “ Saturday? Saturday, Saturday when all of the levels had a massive after-party once every game was done.

 

“ We have a party on Saturday Unnie. “ Shuhua responds, Miyeon looks away shyly. Hands behind her back and eyes looking around.

 

“ Ah yes! The party, I mean would you hang out with me during the party? Like we can stick around and play together? “ The kind senior reasons out, Shuhua almost wants to laugh.

 

“ Sure Unnie, after all, we are there for fun, right? “ Miyeon lights up, she beams at the freshman. The latter returns the gesture.

 

“ Well, you’ll be my date then. I’ll see you till then Shushu! Minnie’s right there. “ Miyeon hops more like gallops to her escape, Shuhua waves her goodbye as the senior poorly makes her exit with a dashing Kim Minnie who flew by in a speed of light.

 

“ HI SHU! YAH! STOP CHO MIYEON! CATCH HER EVERYONE! “ Minnie shouts out to the sophomores and couple of seniors around to catch her fleeing friend.

 

Shuhua stands still, smiling at the sight of her unnies.

 

She kinda wished Soojin and her were like that.

 

Pinky promises shouldn’t be broken and Shuhua has been an advocate of this since she was little. She was when she did one with Susan, she was when she did one with Soojin yesterday. So here she was waiting outside the Seo residence once more.

 

Eager to see the cherry.

 

 Shuhua unconsciously pulled the hem of her top. She had been doing for the past five minutes. Breathing in and out, she finally got an end to the frantic mess.

 

“ Shu. “ All gone. Her insides seem to have gone overboard, she wants to crush them all together to mush and throw them out.

 

“ Let’s go? “

 

So the day filled with laughter and smiles had been officially Shuhua’s favorite day. Although they needed to be away from each other for the attendance of their respective games. So Shuhua had been pouting most of the time, yet the next thing you know she is running like crazy towards the junior after.

 

They spent the day being with each other, they ate lunch together, decided to sit next to each other for the next game upon Soojin’s persistence.

 

The day had been wonderful like everything was back to normal.

 

Shuhua couldn’t ask for more, now the day had served its purpose and switch with night.

 

The duo had linked arms all the way home, just the two of them after a long while.

 

They kept the honest smiles on their faces until they reached home.

 

Shuhua had been anticipating this night.

 

Shuhua looks back and forth from her house to Soojin.

 

With the same smile, Soojin says; “ Good night Shushu. “

 

Shuhua responds with one of her own. Nodding like a puppy, she slips out of grasp.

 

Still fixed on Soojin, who was back on her stilled position.

 

“ Good night Jinjin. “ Waving at Soojin, Shuhua touched the gate.

 

 

“ Good night Shuhua. “

 

 

“ Good night Soojin. “

 

 

And everything was the same.

 

We are half way done yeobbun! 

This chapter is cut into two, its too long now. 

I'm super insecure with the way I write, so many great writers out there! 

Support IDLE and i'M THE TREND. 

P.S.: Thank you for the 900+ views, 12 votes and 90+ subs.

x;_kingwoolf