아름다움과 사랑 (Beauty and Love)

영원한 사랑 (Eternal Love) (DISCONTINUED)

SIXTH v.2

 

Nicha was four when she saw her brothers racing towards her with hands behind their backs. Mic and Mac were a delightful duo, despite being twins they never competed each other for anything, developed a sense of respect for one another at a young age.

 

They got along well, never fought and were all forgiving that is until, Nicha was born.

 

Soon, the brothers were swept and tried to out-do one another for Nicha’s recognition. The Yontararak’s were quite an affluent family in Thailand. Their father worked for a well-respected hospital and was beginning his journey towards managing a foundation outside of that. Her mother was a stay at home CEO. She was once a renowned model hailing from the Land of the Free but ever since Nicha was birthed, her mother preferred to work at home where she could see her children all the time with the intent of eventual retirement.

 

Her close relatives were either in the medical field, fashion industry or in politics. Nicha was the last child in the line of Yontararak’s. She was ultimately favored by everyone.

 

When it came to her, everyone would somehow found themselves in mutual understanding. All loved her, even her cousins adorn the youngest Yontararak.

 

Mic and Mac were rough housing in front of four year old Nicha. It was the latter’s birthday. The twins argued who should present their gift first, which soon led to a full blown fight between the two. The puzzled yet frighten Nicha started to cry, she didn’t know why her brothers were suddenly yelling and head-locking one another. Mac saw his little sister sobbing, he pulled away from his torment on Mic and presented his gift.

 

“ Hehe, (Nini, I got you something.) “ Placed into tiny Nicha’s hands was a medium sized box with royal red packaging and dark blue ribbons wrapped neatly around it.

 

The two brothers helped ripping it apart, careful not to get paper cuts on their dear sister’s hands. Nicha’s eyes shines with wonder and curiosity. She makes grabbing hands and smile stretches out widely.

 

Cuddly teddy bear.

 

“ ( I admit its pretty Mac! But mine’s better!) “ Mic unwrapped his gift presenting his siblings with a huge CAT tractor, making unnecessary background tractor noises.

 

“ (Cool, right Nini? ) “ Mac rolls his eyes, arguing that Mic got himself a gift.

 

“( Idiot! It’s her birthday, why would she like this? ) “ Mic stopped his free show demonstration for Nicha, glared up to his brother scoffed.

 

“ ( Of course she likes it! Nini likes whatever I like! ) “ Right before the two boys repeat their tough performance, their heaven saving mother called them out.

 

“ ( Everyone, dinner’s ready! Get Nicha to wear the hat boys! ) “ On cue, Mic and Mac held out both their hands towards their sister, sitting her up and dusting her off.

 

“ (Come Nini, we’ll play later! For now, let’s eat your birthday feast! ) “ Even if little Nicha couldn’t process what was happening, in the middle of the dinner table, front and center, laughs, smiles heard all over. Nicha thinks this is her earliest memory of love.

 

This is love.

 

 

Admiration and beauty were concepts Nicha did not shy away from. Often regarded as with such ever since young, she knew how it mattered to everyone. Everyone liked to look pretty things until it was all there was.

 

Beauty and desire, beauty and love, beauty and life.

 

But she wondered along the what ifs in the world, questioned the importance of beauty and love.

 

If love is such a powerful tool, why does it cause the greatest heartaches?

 

If love is the source of happiness, what of the lack thereof?

 

Are you not happy if you are not inlove? To be giving or receiving?

 

If love was the best thing to have, why is it so hard to find?

 

True, everlasting kind.

 

Clutching her teddy, she wonders and wonders. Time passes by, love and beauty continues to be the center of her eye.

 

Answers were what she needed, and looking at her loving family she does not understand why it was so hard for her to comprehend such thing -  love.

 

 

Nicha Yontararak turned fifteen when she decided to answer her questions.

 

“ You’re going to Korea? “

 

Of course, it was an absurd idea. But Nicha knew if she stayed here with her family she will never know what it feels like. To be on the other side. She wanted to feel it now, and being in Thailand, it will never happen.

 

With the assurance of coming back home, Nicha sets out to South Korea. With nowhere to begin, Nicha thinks who will it be, who will answer her questions for her. She thinks about it all the time. And she never once faltered on her decision despite the continuous pleas from her brothers, she had to do this.

 

People would think she was crazy, pursuing someone who she wanted to give her love to is something that would come naturally. You don’t look for love, it comes to you. Nicha used to believe that in the comforts of her home, her family.

 

And she knew better.

 

Going to school had created opportunities for her to search for her person. Though she was swayed by lots of people, some after her value, it only made her yearn more. She asked to be transferred multiple times. Until, she finally settled on this school. The school where everything was bound to change.

 

“ You arrived safely? Did you forget anything? Do you have enough money? Cause I can give you some. (Are you okay? Answer me! ) “ Nicha laughs at the neediness of her brother, Mac. She hears her other brother Mic trying to snatch the phone away. Smacks and grunts could be heard, and Nicha hopes they won’t end up bruised.

 

“ I’m at school already, don’t worry P’Mac, P’Mic. ( Your sister’s okay by herself. ) So hang up or I’ll be late. “ Nicha says with a bright tone tucking it away. Taking deep breaths, calming herself by the school gate when she feels a sharp push.

 

Looking around, Minnie hesitantly sought out her assaulter. The girl walking ahead of her just now had long hair did not even spare a glance.

 

“ H-hey! “ Minnie calls out, even if she was a foreigner she deserved an apology. The girl turned around and stared straight in the eyes.

 

The Thai native lost her speech suddenly, as she helps herself memorize features of her assaulter. The girl did not waste another breath and went her way.

 

Minnie didn’t know why she was drawn unto the girl. Everyone kept swarming her since she arrived and yet no one notices how her eyes linger around looking for a certain someone she bumped on her first day. She tries her best to find those cold menacing eyes that stared her down.

 

But, the girl like how she appeared, disappeared mysteriously like she doesn’t even go to the same school anymore.

 

Minnie wandered off most of the times since she wasn’t required to go most of the regular classes due to her different timed Korean lessons. So mostly, she was stuck with her Korean teacher learning about Korea and its language.

 

It was break time for her, deciding to sit by the window she let her thoughts wander off. Until, her.

 

 

Flowly dark brown locks cascading her broad shoulders, something very peculiarly prominent in her loose school top, necktie firmly knotted, collar perfect.

 

Her skirt eased as she walked passed by. Same look as she had remembered.

 

Only this time she had a small smile absolutely-breathtaking. Nicha stilled. Bewitched.

 

Beauty it is.

 

Miyeon Cho.

 

Her name, if the wonderful stitching confirmed anything.

 

It happened in a second and the next thing she knew, Nicha was in a long ride.

 

Miyeon was easy to track, hard to befriend, but not difficult to love.

 

 

All the teasing, fighting and arguing were tricks for Minnie.

 

She did all that to seek for one thing. One thing that she honestly wanted.

 

Miyeon’s attention.

 

Earning the title as friends didn’t necessarily became sunshines and rainbows for Minnie. Getting Miyeon to open up and talk was one thing, having reactions or mere acknowledgment of her presence was a whole shabam.

 

Minnie only craved much more. She didn’t know how this would end up, but all led up to her pushing the boundaries. Minnie kept annoying Miyeon, anything to put the older on her toes every day. Anything to make her expect the worst, anything to tick off the bomb Minnie had been cooking ever since then.

 

“ Minnie! I told you those are for my project! “ Miyeon grabs the papers Minnie were holding. It was always like this, the younger couldn’t see how much of an nuisance she was.

 

“ Unnie, those aren’t bad. For a sixth grader. You going to pass that to Mr. Ha? “ Minnie teased, as she laughed in addition. Miyeon knew she wasn’t great at anything, she wasn’t great like Minnie is. Miyeon keeps mum, with eyebrows sinking deeper.

 

Minnie notices how silent the other girl had been, she knew she was pressing the right buttons. As she rustles her way into the girl’s bag, she notices a hand written letter.

 

To: Junho.

 

Minnie scoffs, “ Uh, Miyeon? Is this part of your project? “

 

Minnie showcased the lightweight scented paper in public view as Miyeon redirects her eyes on it, almost popping them out.

 

“ Where did you get that? “

 

“ If you plan on confessing, don’t put stuff in your bag Miyeon. That’s a rookie move. “

 

Trust Minnie to know that. Miyeon glares once more and puts the letter into safekeeping in one of her books.

 

“ Did you.. “

 

“ If you’re asking me that I read anything, no. I didn’t read your sappy words Cho. “

 

Miyeon sighs in relief and dutifully continues her work. She lets Minnie be for now.

And Minnie pretends she didn’t see the first part of it.

 

“ I told you! Back off! “ Miyeon screamed, as she tried to take her books away from her daily tormentor. Minnie giggles as she continues to keep the book out of the older’s reach. Minnie was having fun, she liked how Miyeon was having her eyes on her. Miyeon was giving her something. Minnie gladly receives.

 

“ STOP IT! “ Minnie’s traces of laughter died down as she faces a red and hotheaded Miyeon, who didn’t even look at her due to her fiery rage. Minnie knew that she did bad.

 

“ I’m sorry Cho, I was just-“

 

“ What?! Having fun? Don’t you have anywhere else to be other than messing with me?! If so, get out! ”

 

A short silence induced, Minnie knew she was definitely at fault here. She gives up the book, sliding it near the older, arranging couple of things she destroyed earlier and stands up to leave.

 

“ I’m sorry Miyeon. I’ll be out of your way. “

 

Miyeon almost felt sorry for the way she acted but it didn’t justify the fact that Minnie was getting out of hand. She endured it for a couple of days however her projects and deadlines aren’t much patient either.

 

As Minnie walked out of there, she knew she had to change something. All of these were bound to happen anyway. This was just petty fun, she wants to go all in now.

 

 

Minnie just ended her physical education class. Her second year in Korea was bearable and tad bit enjoyable now that Korean specialization classes are over for her. She was going back to her classroom to get her stuff when a crowd enveloped her sight.

 

Oh. Maybe there’s something going on.

 

She went to take a quick look, curious eyes her worst feature. She softly nudged people out of the way wanting to see what was the commotion about when her face hardened.

 

In the center of it all was Miyeon.

 

Miyeon who was her gentle sun covered in flour and eggs, still incoming from left and right.

 

ing great.

 

“ Stop it now! “ Minnie eyes everyone in the crowd for being dumb cowards not doing nor saying anything. Yet no one listened as eggs were exchanged.

 

“ Stop. “ A push.

 

 

“ It. “ A shove.

 

 

“ Right.”  A slap.

 

 

“ Now. “ And then, blaring red. Crushing the wrist she just caught.

“ M-minnie, it hurts! Let go, please! “ Her eyes travel and found her target. Choi Yujin.

 

“ Apologize. “ Every single person peered on, interested enough to get out their phones and gossip.

 

A wince, she just held on tighter.

 

“ Minnie that really hurts! “ Yujin tries to loosen the grip with her free hand but Minnie was rock solid. Her face sharpened, features dark.

 

“ Then ing apologize. “  A beat. “ I-I’m sorry Miyeon, “ Minnie looked at the other girls who had their hands on this mess. Choruses of pathetic whimpers of apologies rang in the hall.

 

She shoved Yujin’s hand away. Pulling out her handkerchief, Minnie turns and clears Miyeon’s face. Carefully wiping her eyes to regain vision.

 

 

Minnie was willing to be the shield, to be the knight.

 

She would take anything, anything for Miyeon.

 

“ Miyeon, let’s go. “ Minnie pulls the girl away from the forming crowd. They retreated to a secluded bathroom, where Minnie wets her handkerchief. Moving the strands of hair away, she continues wiping the girl’s face. In this moment, Minnie gets reminded why she’s doing all of this, why she was here in the first place.

 

“ I told you, you guys have to be more careful. Especially you. Junho hasn’t been touched yet you suffer all the hate and negatives. You are holding out too much for the both of you. Isn’t he going to take responsibility of this? “ Minnie spoke in a gentle manner as she washes the fabric. Miyeon didn’t reply as she could only watch her.

 

Minnie didn’t push it, instead proceeds with her work on Miyeon’s delicate face. She wonders how her friend could take all of this.

 

All of this for love?

 

“ Are you mad at me? “ Never. Minnie could never be mad at her friend. Smiling softly, Minnie eases Miyeon’s eyebrows, traces her face and lifts her chin up.

 

“ Why would I be? “ A pause. Miyeon looks like she’s about to cry and Minnie pouts.

 

“ Well, we had a fight. And you should have left me there. “

 

Why would I leave you when you’re hurt?

 

Minnie pushes her lips deeper.

 

“ Are you going to take responsibility?  About Yujin? “ She froze at the question, she stares at Miyeon’s light browns. Honestly, she would. Even if she didn’t ask.

 

“ Of course. I told you before, I stand by you. Always. “

 

Miyeon smiles at that.

 

Minnie swore to make a special appearance with Miyeon’s boyfriend later.

 

“ Then, I’ll be fine. We’ll be fine. Because you’ll be there right? “

 

Minnie will be there, because she found her purpose to fulfill.

 

She’s on the other side now. And she’s going to give love to Miyeon, she’s might as well give it her all.

 

After that fiasco, Minnie proceeded to wait by the soccer bleachers for Junho.

 

“ Kim! “ She calls him by his last name and the audacity of this guy to have the same surname as her. Junho waves at his friends and marches down to meet Minnie.

 

“ Miyeon’s being attacked, if you don’t do something about it might as well end it here.“

 

Minnie looks at him dead, she didn’t really care for him. All she could think about was Miyeon, that’s why she’s here.

 

“ What?! My god, what happened? Is she alright? “ The soccer player looked concern at least, Minnie wanted to punch his face and telling him this was his fault.

 

“ She’s alright. However, you two are in a relationship. You should shoulder some responsibility and protect your girlfriend. “ Minnie spits out with venom, as Junho frantically paces around. He released an apologetic expression.

 

“ I’m so sorry Minnie. I’ll do my best. She didn’t say anything about this at all. I will get to it. “ Junho was a great guy if he wasn’t so naïve.

 

Yet, aren’t they all?

 

Even Minnie was too.

 

She dismissed him, walking off towards the exit.

 

“ Oh Min? “ She sees Miyeon in her peripheral but decided against acknowledging her.

 

“ Babe! Are you alright? “

 

Besides, it wasn’t her acknowledgement Miyeon was craving.

 

 

Minnie did change. Miyeon is well aware of that. Her Thai friend was more quiet to be around, never raising the tone of her voice. Miyeon notices the little things Minnie does and she can’t quite place if she likes it or not.

 

“ Miyeon, here. “ As she was handed a napkin for use, she sees the glint in Minnie’s eyes.

 

Miyeon’s still dazed and Minnie leans over much much closer to clean the mess she made. Turning from the side of her lips till the center of chin, Minnie meticulously wiped it off.

 

Miyeon blushes.

 

“ Eat slowly. I’ll buy more if you want. “ And goes back to typing her essay away. For a second Miyeon didn’t know what happened.

 

Was this Minnie?

 

 Poke.

 

Is this really her?

 

 Poke.

 

No, it can’t be. Minnie would never be that gentle.

 

Poke.

 

She’s always cunning and annoying.

 

 Poke –

 

“ Are you okay? “ Minnie expresses deep concern as her friend kept poking her just then. Miyeon flushes even more and snaps out of it keeping her hands to herself.

 

Minnie’s different.

 

There was no hint of playfulness nor a dash of mischievousness. All Miyeon’s got right now is a serious boring Minnie. Which she wanted to have in the first place.

 

Odd.

 

It became too suffocating. Minnie only speaks when she’s spoken to, never the oversharer anymore. She’s not cracking up her dad jokes and ensues her boisterous laughter that often got them kicked out of the library. She’s never pulling pranks anymore. Always polite and caring around Miyeon. Offers her rides everywhere, takes care of her books.

 

If Miyeon didn’t know any better, this was her good standard ‘boyfriend’ or girlfriend in this case. But she’s not!

 

And Minnie’s gotten insanely quiet. It just not impossible.

 

Miyeon decides; enough. She’ll get her old dumb infuriating Minnie back.

 

“ Minnie. “ Miyeon calls out trying to get the girl’s attention.

 

Minnie hums but eyes never leaving the laptop screen.

 

“ Minnie. “ Miyeon says in a more demanding tone. The other girl ignores her still, focused on her work. For an extrovert, Minnie sure can concentrate on this loud café they were staying at.

 

“ Hey, can we talk? “ Dropping her work, Minnie nods at that. Eyes deep of worry.

 

“ Sure, about what? “ Miyeon gets all shy. How do friends communicate on their misunderstandings or shift in the dynamics?

 

“ Well, your eyes have been too sunken in when you get all serious. “ Minnie looks surprised at that.

 

“ I just. I appreciate you respecting me as a person. To the point of changing your attitude towards me even. I feel so loved honestly. A friend who is understanding enough to adjust. But, Minnie-yah. I miss you. The goofy and silly you. Not this boring and keeps glancing at me from time to time solemnly. “ Minnie chuckles. So she does notice.

 

“ I’m sorry Miyeon-ah. I’ll try to mix things up a bit. I’ll be funny and you’ll be boring. I’ll be boring and you’ll be boring. Sure, let’s go back. “ Miyeon hits her at the last sentence. Nicha only smiles warmly.

 

“ Yah! Nevermind, let’s be boring anyways. “

 

Nicha full on grins, and Miyeon’s lips catches on.

 

You do notice me beautiful.

 

Minnie finally found her perfect balance. All she needed to be was a gentle yet slightly presumptuous. Miyeon loves the combo. She somehow got back her old self and she’s genuinely happy. They were seniors now. It was their last year being together.

 

Minnie wanted something to be remarkable, she wanted something to happen and make Miyeon realize that she loves her with all of her heart.

 

She’s been planning on bringing Miyeon along for her week vacation back in Thailand. Minnie’s invested into this, she was saving up money for the both of them as a gentlewoman and person responsible for this trip Minnie knew she had to be the one to deal with the expenses.

 

She was so excited, she couldn’t wait to tell Miyeon and eventually ask permission from her parents, not that it was that hard to do.

 

Hyunbin and Yujeong Cho loved Minnie, trusts their daughter to her and might even hints at possible romance. It goes to show how much all of them are rooting for these two. It boosts the Thai’s chances of actually professing her deepest devotion to her best friend whom lived under a rock that doesn’t take a clue what was happening.

 

She was waiting for the sports competition on October, her birth month. That would be perfect timing to bring home and introduce the girl formally.

 

All these are still in the shadows. In the right time.

 

However, she did not anticipate this.

 

“ He broke up with you?! “ Minnie is beyond rage now. Miyeon sniffles in her bed.

 

Junho really had a death wish.

 

“ It’s okay Minnie-yah. I’ll be fine. No worries. “ Despite her smiles, Minnie knows she’s trying. Trying to be alright for her sake but she sees right through her.

 

“ I cannot understand. Doesn’t he love you? “ It was that simple right? Junho loves Miyeon and so does she. That’s how love was supposed to work, in every way.

 

“ He does, “ Miyeon shakily laughs. Hands digging her thighs.

 

“ He did. And that was it. “ And she just smiled. Waving her heartbreak off as if it was just colds. No, this is not it. Miyeon deserved better. More than anyone.

 

I should know.

 

“ Stay here please? “ Minnie crushes the two plane tickets in her pockets, tucked inside the bed next to her sun.

 

 

Second year passed, in came their third one together. This time, they found three more good friends. Seo Soojin, Song Yuqi, and Jeon Soyeon. Safe to say, all of them had circles outside but it came naturally to be the core group.

 

They were plenty of fun to be with, especially Yuqi who kept blabbering how her little sister would be joining them next year. She kept talking and bragging by now everyone knew who Shuhua was. But, Minnie supposes it’s family love. Yuqi shines when she talks about how annoying Shuhua can be when her feet always sticks out in the dinner table, how she needs to get up early for her little sister who needs more than five slaps to be woken. Minnie finds it adorable of true genuine love these sisters have for each other.

 

Soojin was a good different, she was less obnoxious and loud compared to Yuqi, less snarky and straightforward as Soyeon, yet more reserved and closed off than Miyeon it seems.

 

It took awhile to engage in casual conversation without Minnie trying so hard to keep it alive.

 

As Miyeon listened more and more about Shuhua, Minnie paid more attention to Soojin.

 

Well, she is pretty.

 

And she looks at her side.

 

But not as her, never more than her.

 

It did not come to a shock when Miyeon confessed of liking Shuhua since the latter joined their school. Their interaction became painfully obvious with Miyeon desperately wanting Shuhua’s attention when the youngest only had eyes for Soojin.

 

Crazy how she got up in this. She did like Soojin more than a friend yet less like a lover. Talk became easy and feelings were unhinged when it was Soojin. Nicha felt like she was four again. Except this time, beauty and love did not come in pairs.

 


ok, that does it. all italic parentheses are native languages of the respective members. its seems impossible to do the native language thingy when all i have is google translate. 

mimin side of the story. 

soojin freedom, welcomehomeshuhua!

x;_kingwoolf