갈망 (Longing)

영원한 사랑 (Eternal Love) (DISCONTINUED)

FIRST

 

Light seeped in the darkroom, bits and corners shone with the ray of light particles, leaving every nook touched with nature’s gift. A sleeping figure refusing to acknowledge the sun’s presence thus, it has decided to a little more by reflecting its proud waves on her figure, hitting her face specifically.

 

“Why do you always do this? “ The sleeping girl is crudely woken up by nature, stretched her arms in response, yawning her sleep away.

 

In the process of her waking up also meant going back to sleep, planning to catch a few minutes of rest when sudden loud footsteps crept up in her room.

 

“ YEH. SHU. HUA. IF YOU DO NOT OPEN YOUR EYES RIGHT NOW, THE COLD WATER IN MY HANDS WILL FALL ON ITS OWN AND LAND IN YOUR FACE. “ A booming voice has her bolting her dull drowsy eyes open and now, she is truly awake alright.

 

 “ What is wrong with you? Can’t a girl sleep? “ She musters harshly as a result of being rudely awoken twice today.

 

It was her older stepsister, Song Yuqi. Every day, as if by punishment by the gods, it was always Yuqi that would wake her up and threaten to pour cold water onto her given that she would ignore the persistent warnings by the older.

 

“ It ain’t my fault you sleep like a log. Anyways, get up! Mom wants us to be early for our first day of school. So get up you ! “ Yuqi adds a hard pat on Shuhua’s as she hurriedly makes her way out of there as she knew she stirred the youngest’s anger with her action.

 

“ I swear! Remind me again why we adopted you? “

 

“ Cause you asked for me? “

 

“ And why did we keep you? “

 

“ Because you love me! Get up now Shu! Or else, Ma is going to drag you down. “

 

 

A school is a place of learning, of excitement, But, that was not clearly accepted in Shuhua’s vocabulary and it does not even contain a lot of words. Well, at least school brought one good thing in her life though.

 

“ Jin! “ It was the cherry of her eyes. The one who never fails to raise Shuhua’s heartbeat to three hundred per second. The one who makes school less of a pain in the . Cause now, all Shuhua might be doing is staring at the girl’s . It was their dearly beloved neighbor, Seo Soojin.

 

“ Yuqi-ah! You guys got up early today. “ As the Yeh siblings make their way to Soojin, Shuhua cannot help but stare hard and long at Soojin’s proportions like the way her skirt ends perfectly in her mid-thighs, hanging oh so beautifully around them and how their uniform wholly shows Soojin’s assets without a doubt. And the way Soojin’s dyed red hair falls neatly into place without much effort. That was something that made people look over their way specifically Soojin’s. The uniqueness of her character she carries around makes everyone stop and look.

 

“ and that was the summer break for me. How about you guys? “ Shuhua damns herself as Soojin faced towards her, obviously directing her to answer. Thankfully, Yuqi did not take the hint very well and answered on her behalf.

 

“ It was great Soo! We visited many places here especially provinces. And—” Yuqi kept talking and talking, going on about their summer trip to different provinces and islands in Korea. Given that they were immigrants, they all wanted to explore the beauties of South Korea ever since they were little. So, it became the family’s tradition to do so every summer.  

 

The two older girls talked among themselves as they conversed much on how Yuqi was getting taller and Soojin has been getting her woman curves, basically leaving Shuhua to zone out and stay behind.

 

Ever since they were young, the three were playmates. Being a mere kid in a new country made it difficult for the youngest to show herself and mingle with others, unlike her stepsister who does it ever so lightly. Shuhua was known to be a reserved kid and talks quietly among other people and Soojin was their first friend, she just wanted it to work out.

 

Shuhua was thankful that Soojin took time with her, getting her to open up. They quietly chattered whenever Yuqi was hyperactive with the other kids. They talk and banter all the time. Shuhua was feeling great. Every day, they would play together. It felt amazing knowing someone like Soojin understands her as Yuqi understood her with one look. The friendship blossomed and now, the three were inseparable.

 

Until Shuhua hit puberty. She does not know how and why but every time, Soojin would lightly smile, giggle, or laugh, warm fuzzy feelings crept over her. Why every time the older looks at her with utmost admiration at the same time concern, something would stir in her. Small little thumps of her heart she vividly remembers, as she grew and learned better that those little thumps have transformed and evolved into a constant frantic rhythm in her heart.

 

It was only a matter of time before Shuhua concludes that what she was feeling was a feeling of adoration, the itching need to have Soojin close by and not letting her go out of her sight. The feeling of calmness at the same time, abnormality when their fingers touch and interlock themselves. The feeling of warmth whenever the older comforts and wraps her arms around the youngest. And the feeling of fear whenever they got too close.

 

She never really processed these things about Soojin instead she kept them to herself not knowing what these feelings and emotions meant as she rather focused on living her day to day life with her sisters. That was normal right?

 

“ Shu? Are you okay? “ The two oldest look at her way drawing worry on their faces as Shuhua remained silent throughout their walk to school. She answers a yes with a small smile. “ Okay, since Soojin and I will be on the other side of the building from where your room is, we cannot walk you there. “ This earned a pout from Shuhua because as it was her first year in high school. People here were scary and huge. She can’t possibly go all by herself.

 

“ Aw come on Shu! I know this is your first day as a high schooler but this would also signify the time wherein you get to stand up by yourself and be on your own. This is the first step to be yourself now Shu. We can’t go with you on that okay? “ As much as Yuqi was willing to be late on her first class as a junior, Shuhua needed to be independent and grow without her nor Soojin by her side. This would allow Shuhua to be scared, yes, but to be ready to handle things on her own. This was harder on Yuqi well knowing how timid and wary Shuhua is around people.

 

“ Shu, don’t worry. We will be with you for the lunch break. Till then, try to have fun on your first day. “ Soojin waves significantly at her while her sister jumps wildly and flailing her arms all the same earning them looks from bystanders.

 

She should start walking without Yuqi this moment onwards.

 

 

Class introductions were a thing yet it was not Shuhua’s thing at all. She does not comprehend the idea of being in front, spilling important details about yourself, and pretend to be oh so excited about high school. Hell no. Yet sadly, she was a highschooler, and sadly her teacher was all the traditional stand-up-and-say-your-name-in-front-of-the-class-type and unluckily for her; “ Yeh Shuhua? “

 

Darn, she stood quite diffidently making small steps towards the ill front and center of their four walls. Ever so slightly grazing her hands to straighten out her top uniform, she clears before opening to speak.

 

“ Annyeonghaseyo, Yeh Shuhua-imnida “ Shuhua bows after uttering her name. The class was bewildered as they immediately were guessing the authenticity of her face, the makeup she was using which was none by the way, and her Korean was not well by standards.

 

“ Where are you from? “ A curious voice asks, Shuhua was taken aback as dozens of eyes bore holes into hers with commanding looks, even their teacher was intrigued.

 

“ I am originally from Taipei, we moved here ever since I was young yet the language has not been kind to me. “ She lets out a smile small as she once again out of habit straightens her uniform and fidgeted around the hem of her top, waiting to see the response of her answer. Some people seemed to get it while others now minding their businesses, and some still doubting her facial features, the teacher seemed to notice the girl’s uncomfortable gaze thus, prompting the end of her introduction.

 

“ Well class, I am sure you would like to make a friend out of our darling Shuhua here so, I do not mind if you all could get along in some other time. Meanwhile, Shuhua, I am reassigning you to sit next to Elkie here, I figured since you two might have the same native tongue it might help you get around here. “ Her homeroom teacher beamed, as she was ushered onto a certain Elkie, plopping down her things she was greeted politely and was offered a hand.

 

“ Elkie Chong Ting-yan. “

 

“ Yeh Shuhua. “

 

 

 

 

Lunch came finally. Shuhua silently prayed that Yuqi and Soojin would find her straight away so that she would not have to sit somewhere with strangers. The school cafeteria was flooded with seniors and juniors practically hanging around the facility as they do some catching up with friends over the talk of summer and the new preys they have been eyeing on.

 

Shuhua was slightly perplexed about highschool culture if you will. She never really understood the trends people are flexing out these days or the excessive need to be in “trend”, she just wears what she likes, comforts herself in bareness-free of chemical dust or so we call “makeup” and stays away from bad vices.

 

The youngest Yeh was a simple girl but with one of the greatest philosophies that she never fails to embody every single day of her life.

 

In a room full of people, she knew she wasn’t spared a second glance. Yet she doesn’t mind.

 

“ Yah! Pabo! “ Shuhua jumps in the reaction of the sudden thud of her shoulder as she looks over to see the voice behind, she was faced with the knowing smile of her sister.

 

“ Hmm? “ Yuqi grabs her hand and led her to the table her sister was sitting on with a bunch of juniors and a few seniors were situated. Shuhua has placed herself in disposition, in a trance where she keeps a neutral face when meeting up with strangers. She wanted to be seen as polite and openminded for they were Yuqi’s friends after all, she wanted a great first impression.

 

“ Is this the infamous little Yeh we are now seeing? It is great meeting the girl in Yuqi’s background photo, hi there I am Jeon Soyeon. “ The girl who was then speaking offered her hand towards Shuhua as in turn she was flabbergasted with playful smacks from Yuqi as who was just exposed to having Shuhua as her background photo and she knows, oh she knows Shuhua never misses anything.  Shuhua smiles at that.

“ Hello. “ Soon, hi’s and hello’s were going around the table. It turns out a couple of foreigners were in Yuqi’s circle of friends; as she had met Minnie, a Thai senior that goes to the same music club as Soyeon and Yuqi. Another Thai senior was Sorn as well in the same class as Minnie therefore she was Yuqi’s friend. There was also an ethereal beauty sitting with them who has now shamelessly clung unto her going by the name, Cho Miyeon, a senior that was also a classmate of Minnie’s and a member of the theatre and music club. There were so many people in the group that she sadly couldn’t remember all their names but was attentive to each of their introductions.

 

As it seemed like what was her turn, she straightened out her top once more and breathed softly speaking: “ Annyeonghaseyo, Yeh Shuhua-imnida. “ as she did a little bow in courtesy of respecting the seniors amongst her. All of them had an endearing smile as to finally came the time they have met the youngest Yeh that Yuqi was adamantly talking about 24/7. Amidst all of this, Yuqi had a proud smile on her face, proud as if she raised Shuhua to be the cute little bean that she is today.

 

“ Yuqi! She is so cute. Look at these squishy things. “ Miyeon has not left her side ever since she got to their table. Pressing her fingers deep into the chubbiest cheeks ever seen in Miyeon’s life, she lets out a squeal of admiration directed towards the youngest.

 

“ Hey hey hey! Stop right there Miyeon unnie! You are making her uncomfortable. “ But the aforementioned girl paid no heed and continued her assault on the cheeks of Shuhua’s face.

 

“ Miyeon-ah, stop it. “ As if entranced, the older girl stopped at command and kept her hands to herself for now. Shuhua lets out a small smile in appreciation directed to Minnie for getting that to stop, which the older girl gladly returned.

 

“ So, Shu tell me about what happened so far. “ Yuqi speaks with a kind tone as she knows that the first day of school is a sensitive topic for Shuhua as before she had experienced horrid first days of school due to the kids mockingly pointing out how bad the Taiwanese spoke Korean and it led to more terrible events throughout the day.

 

“ It was okay, nothing happened. Thankfully, I was seated next to another Chinese speaker so I came around. “ Yuqi hums satisfactorily and stuffs her face with another tteokbokki. “ That is great news then. “ The sisters smiled at each other, and now redirected their attention to whatever the group was immersed in.

 

“ Hey guys, have any of you seen Soojin? “ That’s right.  The red-haired had yet to make her lunch appearance to Shuhua yet and the shadow of her is nowhere near the cafeteria.

 

“ Oh, I heard the dance club had a meeting around noon so I think she attended. “  Some girl named Eunbin spat out as everyone shook her heads understandingly.

 

Still, Shuhua can’t do the same, aware of the fact that her eyes needed to see the red hues of the girl’s hair to get by. She needed the girl to fill up her energy for the day, she needed to see Soojin and all her bodily functions seem to agree as she kept looking around now and then despite the recent fact of the girl’s whereabouts.

 

“ Don’t worry Shu! We still see her later on the day. “

 

All Shuhua badly wanted was to see Soojin at that moment.

 

 

 

The end of the day rolled in and Shuhua has never been happier to see the sun setting down. She could be in her comfortable twofold thick blankets right now and eating her mom’s gracious cooking while catching up on her favorite drama. But it’s not like she wasn’t given any attention by her seatmate, as a matter of fact, they kept cracking up jokes to another, spoken like true inhabitants they were. The way they match each other’s vigor has made the younger girl look forward to days up ahead.

 

With soft goodbyes and see you tomorrows from her classmates, Shuhua makes way to the main gates of their school unknowing that a certain redhead junior was waiting for her.

 

“ Shuhua.” The softness may resemble a quiet cooing of a lovebird to its mate as Shuhua glances at the voice’s owner, to her shock it was Soojin, the girl she waited and longed for all day. More shockingly for Soojin, the youngest wrapped her arms around her proceeding to lock its place on Soojin’s body, as they were exchanging heat signatures with one another.

 

“ Well well well, what do we have here? Jin, you need to give that girl attention as soon as possible cause she’s been looking for you all day. “ Yuqi remarked greatly emphasizing the words all day to her, winking at the older as the youngest Yeh flutters her shiny eyes full of wonder as if communicating the lost time of the certain lunch break the Seo missed.

 

Ruffling Shuhua’s hair, Soojin breaks away from the warming hug. As soon as Soojin was nowhere near her proximity, Shuhua pouted. All she pursued was to have Soojin’s attention and look at her this once. Life is hard indeed.

 

Soojin noticing the despair and dejected aura from the youngest, she smiled instinctively and slid her fingers with the girl’s. Looking up was Shuhua, seeing the girl smile at her like that, brought up one of her own in retort.

 

“ Come on Shu, you wouldn’t want to miss Yuqi’s disgraceful interaction with Mr. Noh now, would you? “

 

“ Not in this lifetime. “

 

Smiles kept all the while of their duration walking home, hand in hand.

 

 

 

“ Lucky for me, he let me off and warned me about going near the faculty’s office. The next time I would be snooping in for Miss Choi, it would have to take someone to kill me. “ Yuqi had just concluded her disgraceful interaction with Mr. Noh as Soojin worded it, releasing a displeased sigh. The other two seemed to wander their head off learned to best keep nodding to whatever Yuqi was saying, everything that comes out of was either: the cry for food or the bluffs that went up so high they all would reach the moon.

 

“ Yah yah! Knock it off you two! We are at our homes now, in front of our gates. This is the part where we say, “ Goodbye Jinjin see you tomorrow! “ kind of thing. “ Yuqi quickly dodged the incoming punch from her sister, knowing that she WAS NOT allowed to use Shuhua’s designated endearment for their neighbor. Soojin just laughs it off, she thinks it’s cute Shuhua’s protecting her name in a way.  

 

“ And indeed it is. Goodbye now Yuqi, see you not tomorrow.” The same-aged friends nodded in recognition as Yuqi heads first to their home. “ Shu if you decided to finally part with Jinjin over here, I impose you lock the gates yeah? Peace out! “ The older Yeh scurried out of there and prevented her beautiful self to face Shuhua’s wrath.

 

“ Ugh! She is so annoying. “ Shuhua grumps, stomping her feet in the process. There is something in the siblings’ dynamics that you would find extremely beautiful about. And Soojin was grateful to see that every day. It brought her a child-like imaginative to Soojin as she was unfortunate to be an only child.

 

“ So, I heard that you made a friend today. Does this mean you no longer want to be friends with me? “Soojin asked as Shuhua widens her eyes in disbelief, why would she think she is that replaceable for Shuhua?

 

“ NO! I mean it is not what you think it is Unnie. This friend is a really nice friend and she helps in my classes. She just-“

 

“ I’m just messing with you Shushu. It’s great that you have friends now that will guide you plus she’s your classmate. I’m kind of proud of you, you know? “ The older girl finished with a small laugh, earning her the widest smile Shuhua could exhibit here on Earth. (and you mofos cant see it cuz its for soojin only)

 

“ T-thanks Unnie. So, how was your day? “ Shuhua asked in return, the older girl lets out a small smile this time.

 

“ It was fine nothing special. “ A hum followed and soon, silence engulfed the both of them.

 

“ I think you should head inside now Shushu, my mom’s calling for me already. “ Although Mrs. Seo was never the mother in favor of prominently announcing her daughter’s name to the world whenever Soojin was out, Shuhua accepted her words taking it as an excuse to end the day already.

 

“ Okay, Unnie. You should head inside too! “

 

“ No, you first, I’ll turn in after you do. “ And there it is again, the iconic line of Soojin whenever they decide to call it a day. It was always the older that would stay behind, wait for the youngest to safely get inside as if there was any harm that could endanger her at the present and stand there till Shuhua was inside their house.

 

And the older clearly made it a point that she does not intend to skip a day.

 

“ Then, goodnight Jinjin, dream of me? “ Laughs filled the Yeh’s gates as the older seem to redden from that statement. Shuhua too never fails to remind the girl to dream of her, dream of them together. Forever if you may.

 

“ Always. Goodnight Shuhua. “ And the youngest walk backwards to her house, taking in the full image of Soojin and relished it. She reached their gate as indicated by her thud in the head. Muttering that she was okay, she waved at the still girl across her. Smiling ever so sweetly.

 

“ Okay okay, goodnight Shushu. Head inside now. “ The wave was answered with another as the youngest reluctantly opens the metal door and takes one last look of her beloved.

 

“ See you tomorrow. “

 

“ See you tomorrow. “

 

It was never goodbye or bye. It was always “see you tomorrow”, for in similarity to a sworn promise that no matter what, they will see each other and be together every day for as long as time allows it.  

 

Shuhua finally heads inside and slowly closes the gates until no sight of Soojin was left.

 

She knew that the older was still in her spot, unmoving. Unmoving until Shuhua was home. Safe and loved.

 

 

Keep waiting for me Jin.

 

 

first chap is up! there will be an explanation as to why yuqi retains her last name so pls dont torture me in the comments saying i forgot to change it. 

peace and always love. 

x; _kingwoolf