스타트 (Start)

영원한 사랑 (Eternal Love) (DISCONTINUED)

SECOND

 

The first week of school was always lacking per se. Teachers are often too lenient, too relaxed whenever it’s the start of the school year. It has always been that way. Real hard work comes in mid-month where teachers show their true colors, devouring their students whole.

Shuhua never minds the learning process but it does not mean she didn’t question it.

 

Likewise, in her origins people here in Korea took pride in their education as proved time and time again in their upcoming senior exams where they would have to stack up a book or three worth of information in their heads, equipped for the entrance exams for universities.

 

She just wished that these lessons would be of use for her when she gets out there, in the real world. Contributing to society, as a real citizen should.

 

Her trail of thoughts on a Saturday morning was abruptly cut off short as she paused from watching Sky Castle, sensing the ruckus outside her door presumably Yuqi.

 

“ Shu? Are you awake? “ For someone as a heavy sleeper, Yuqi never understood the ability of her sister to sleep like a log and yet sleep around 10 in the morning on weekends. Shuhua just says it’s for those who are strong and aren’t weak like Yuqi who sleeps like a baby at nine in the evening.

 

“ Yeah? “ The ruckus seems to resume as Shuhua decides to get up and take a look.

What she didn’t expect was Yuqi, up and dressed already early in the weekend, and seemed to have planned something. Her older sister was fuzzing around the box kept outside their rooms. Shuhua furrowed her eyebrows, the box consists of athletic gear, mostly Yuqi’s stuff as growing up their parents deemed it was a great idea placing Shuhua into the same tough and sweaty category as Yuqi.

 

They got to do every single sport available out there, but only one managed to stick around Shuhua’s shadow. Rhythmic gymnastics. Thank God she was quite flexible enough for it, it was the only thing that piqued her interests or so how she acknowledged Soojin’s smiles of satisfaction whenever Shuhua wore her outfit for training. Maybe she stuck around for the fun of it, maybe she wanted to see Soojin’s glints of admiration every time she went for practice, clad in her gymnastic fit.

 

Maybe just maybe.

 

Yet being pretentious got the best of her eventually stopping at four months enrollment at an academy. Awful waste of talent and good money really but for Shuhua, she couldn’t go on and act like she truly enjoys it, it was better to pull out and back down early then be pushed around to do something she never wanted to do or intend to do in the long run. Plus, six in the morning showers never settled right with her.

“ Shu! Have you seen my baby blue bike helmet? God, I swear I placed it in here over the summer. “ So that was what Yuqi was rumbling about, rolling her eyes in annoyance partially to herself for being a curious kitty that she was, she retreated to her room intending to continue the beef around Sky Castle.

 

When her sister spoke suddenly, “ Shuhua-yah, don’t you wanna come with? Soojin and I thought biking around the neighborhood would be nice you know like the fun old times. We wanted to go near the river later. “ Yuqi swore she heard a squeal as she proceeded her rummage on the messy box.

 

“ Jinjin wants to go biking? “

 

“ Yeah loser, so hurry up if you’re going cause Pa wants us to eat first before heading out. “

 

 

Shuhua had never showered that fast ever in her life.

 

x

 

Pushing out her bike out of their garage for the first time in so long, Shuhua regrets this painful decision. Well for one, her bike has outgrown her, or she had outgrown her bike for that matter. It was that bike where it had its seat was all the way down and handles were high up. This bike was the bike of dreams long ago, now it was a loser’s bike.

 

She can’t believe she will sit on it during their biking hangout with their neighbor today.

 

“ Pfft, is that thing is still working? “ Her stepsister snorts as she moves out her mountain bike, the big girl bike she got recently because Yuqi’s just like that okay? Anything huge and sporty needs to be hers. Looking pitifully at Shuhua’s puny bike, she hops onto hers and pedals ahead.

 

“ Come now little one, Soojin’s waiting. “ Left behind, Shuhua wished she got shot in the knee wanting to excuse herself out of this sticky situation she has on her hands.

She is torn in between looking cool on her bike swerving around the blocks with the two or not wanting to look like a kid next to Soojin and Yuqi, oh no definitely not beside Yuqi.

 

“ Shuhua get your up here. “

 

Maybe she regrets leaving Sky Castle on hold just then.

 

Soojin has never failed to take the air out of Shuhua every day, persistently using her pretty little cute self to do the job enough that might have been too much of a freeze for Shuhua. The red-head junior was rocking her black ripped jeans and some top that was so well fitted on Soojin that Shuhua wonders if it was even appropriate for her to look. Her red-cherry helmet was dangling on the left side handlebar of her bike and you guessed it; Soojin got her big girl bike too. The sight made the youngest of the three groaning in utter pain.

 

“ Good morning Jin! I managed to steal this one away from her bed this morning. Aren’t you proud? “ Yuqi chuckles as she felt giddy going out with her two sisters on this fine Saturday morning. Soojin smiled sweetly, looking on the sight of the youngest she made a surprised gasp.

 

“ That thing still works right? Wow, that’s like early 2000’s right there. “ The two older girls laughed at the redhead's comment on Shuhua’s miserable bike as the youngest huffs in irritation and wears the black helmet over her head, locking it tightly in place.

 

“ This baby can beat your asses Unnies, so catch me if you can. “ Shuhua sticks her tongue and immediately pedals as hard as she can leave her two unnies to race after her.

 

“ Yah! Idiot be careful! “

 

“ Shuhua! Watch out for the curb! “

 

 

They spoke too soon. Rather, Shuhua spoke too soon.

 

 

x

 

The three ended up walking with their bikes in hand, the youngest Yeh had now an ice pack hovering her forehead after that disaster she pulled. Insisting that she was perfectly well, her unnies settled for an ice pack on her face allowing the growing bump on her face to subside. Yuqi was all laughs as she continues to tease the youngest about it although she showed minimal concern, at least Shuhua was in one piece.

 

Can’t say the same for the other girl, as she continues to carefully look out for Shuhua and constantly on her nags about being careful while walking on the sidewalk as the two siblings bicker to no end.

 

“ Okay, this is getting boring. Let’s pedal now unnies. I am sure that my feet are in no need of ice packs to push this bad boy forward right? “ Shuhua says confidently as she swings her right leg over the bike and sat on it, waiting for the other two to do the same.

 

“ Yeah but before that, keep the speed on a minimum yeah? I can’t have you go home with two horns in your forehead or a bandaged arm. Mama’s killing me not you. “ Yuqi merongs her sister as she does the same sitting on her bike and begins pedaling to the riverside where they have planned to go to.

 

“ I ain’t waiting much longer. You two better catch up! “ The older Yeh shouts as she knows for a fact the two will talk it out of each other, mostly Soojin telling on the other girl and mostly Shuhua whining her bum out.

 

“ Keep it steady Shu okay? “ Soojin gestures with her hands as she reminds the youngest. Frankly, she did not want to be responsible for any more accidents. Or deaths in this case.

 

“ Okay Jinjin, I got it now. “ Shuhua smiles, still waiting on her small bike for Soojin to begin. And as the older girl gestures an “after you”, Shuhua wonders what would it be like to be behind Soojin one of these days.

 

x

 

The route to the riverside wasn’t that long but the route Shuhua and Yuqi had in mind was certainly lengthier than expected. The triad decides for an early lunch as Yuqi’s incredible appetite asks for food once more. Stopping at a chicken pop-up shop, Yuqi made it known that she was going to order heading over to the ahjumma that was manning the store. The other two weren’t complaining. When it comes to food, Yuqi knew best and as long as they don’t pay for it they were good.

 

The two found themselves sitting in the center of the tables laid out in front of the store. Shuhua takes the middle seat as Soojin settles for the one on the right. The two sat in comfortable silence until Shuhua breaks it for them.

 

“ So Unnie, I heard from Yuqi that you will be performing at school soon. “ Shuhua opens up the topic. The ability to project art in the form of dance was and always has been Soojin’s expertise. It started as a hobby back then, when Soojin was merely copying the dance moves from girl groups and some boy groups on television. Till it transpired into something extraordinary, something that permitted the world to have a glimpse of Soojin’s inner soul and the way she does it in the swaying of her hips and the motions of her hands had gotten everyone most especially Shuhua wanting to see more of it.

 

She senses the love in the girl’s eyes and the feeling of completeness in her actions when the older was in her element. Now, she is an outstanding dance club member and lends her talent through choreographing with another remarkable dancer-senior named Chungha.

 

“ Yeah, it’s for the welcoming inauguration for freshmen happening sometime in the month I think. Kinda explains the missed attendance at lunch breaks, sorry Shushu. “ Soojin apologizes, she knew that the first weeks of school were never easy on Shuhua and she feels bad that she wasn’t able to spend time with the girl on breaks like they used to do. Dancing had her preoccupied lately and it worries her that it may lead to some tension within them.

 

“ That’s nonsense Unnie! It is okay really since Yuqi is always there on breaks and Elkie too. So, I myself is busy too. “ Shuhua reasons out, casually mentioning the name of a certain “Elkie” over it. Soojin’s been skeptic about this Elkie and she hasn’t met her given the amount of time her club was consuming her, unlike Yuqi who had managed to get to know the girl on the second day of classes.

 

“ Pretty sure she’s fun to be with. “  Soojin lets out a hum. Knowing it sounded petty, she felt the younger smile next to her. Grabbing her arm and linking it with hers, Shuhua once again shines her chocolates at Soojin’s and pouts immensely.

 

“ Not as fun as you Unnie. I still like you. “  The words that came out of Shuhua’s mouth just then ultimately colors the older’s face with red hues as she laughs awkwardly in place. Shuhua was never scared to throw in those words and flaunt it to her but hearing it again after a long time gave Soojin some reassurance.

 

“ I know, I’m just playing. “ The two seem to be having quite a time as they failed to feel the other Yeh’s presence. Which Yuqi was grateful for, she now looks at the big picture. She sees the way Shuhua has always stared at the other, full of veneration and interest. But the way Soojin stares back down got Yuqi all confused. Maybe she was just seeing things. Maybe she was just making it up to look like Soojin looks at her sister the same way too. Maybe she just stared a bit too long.

 

Maybe just maybe.

 

“ Yeah, the chicken is getting sweeter with those looks you guys have. Let’s eat everyone! “

 

x

 

Stuffed and short of breath was Yuqi patting her enlarged tummy as they passed by the kind ahjumma that took all five orders of chicken from the trio. Two were from Shuhua and Soojin while the rest, well they didn’t end up too good. Soojin suggests a treat of icy goodness from a nearby convenient store near the pop-shop they just went to.

 

“ I’ll order just give me some money Soojinie. “ The older Yeh bats her eyes prettily as she leaves her right hand in the open to take the said money. Soojin reaches for her wallet and made sure to give Yuqi little over necessary and the other girl bolted out of there. Seeing how her sister was acting, Shuhua shakes her head in disappointment.

 

The two found themselves silent once more as they waited out on their ice creams. The youngest played with her bike trying to decide which line must be to be the opener. While the older girl, she preferred the nice peace and quiet.

 

“ Jinjin, do you like me? “ That came out unexpectedly wrong out of her. She was supposed to go with “ You look pretty today. “ or some dumb pick-up lines she learned in Descendants, it worked every time for Captain Yoo.

 

A short pause commenced as Shuhua tries to find Soojin’s eyes however, it was obvious that the girl was avoiding it.

 

“ Of course Shuhua. I like you. “ Thump, thump, thump, to the nth power. Surely, Soojin wouldn’t mind right. Shuhua just needed to hear it all of the sudden. She never heard the girl say that to her and of course, they were friends but it felt different if the person actually said it in your face.

 

“ I’m pretty sure you know this but I like you too. Too much to be exact. “

 

“ I know. But leave some for yourself. It’s not good liking someone too much. “

 

That may have led Shuhua frown for a split second although Soojin was right about it. She should never love someone that much. Perhaps the older didn’t know her quite well, she already did even if she hadn’t realized it yet.

 

The two once again stared at each other with contented smiles in their faces.

 

Needless to say, Yuqi happened to walk right in the middle of their conversation and she swore she saw a bigger picture than the one in the chicken store earlier.

Yuqi definitely saw something. She’s staring way too long now to ignore it, but she needed to be sure first.

 

 

“ Hey! Ice cream’s here! “

 

x

 

They have arrived at the riverside and it was beautiful. The trio managed to get there just in time for the sun setting down. They left their bikes down near the path and proceed to situate themselves near the river. The three were telling all sorts of jokes mainly Yuqi who apparently had the week of her life due to Mr. Noh once again. The other two can’t help but explode laughter because of it.

 

Soon, they were quiet. Watching the sun setting down was probably one of the satisfying things they have done and the fact that they were together in witnessing such an event made it more wholesome.

 

They played a little longer in the river, occasionally throwing rocks and competing to see which rock bounced most before sinking. And of course, all the sporty genes from their parents went to Yuqi despite them not being blood-related at all, the older Yeh inherited all of those good stuff as she won every single time.

 

“ That’s it, let’s get going. I’m sleepy. “ Shuhua struts in frustration, the same age friends exchange knowing looks and followed suit anyway. It was getting dark as well.

 

 

The ride home was pleasant. The older girls took their time teasing the youngest and they do so only out of love. Yeah out of love my . Shuhua thinks.

 

Before they know it, they were back again in a familiar neighborhood, in their oh so familiar metal gate. It was at this time of the day once more. The Yeh siblings left their bikes leaning against their garage door as they made way towards their neighbor to say farewell. Shuhua thinks this is the best part.

 

“ Today was fun Soo. I hope you had fun considering how busy you are nowadays. “ Yuqi pouts. Between the two of them, Yuqi was the clingy one towards Soojin and she misses her best friend, having someone to listen to her talk about her day made her think of Soojin and the girl was too tired to even hold a conversation after getting home hitting the showers and off to dreamland.

 

“ I thank you for today Yuqi-ah. I miss hanging out with you guys. Don’t worry I’ll try to make more time for you. “ Soojin winks at Yuqi and laughs. Indeed, she misses her best friend. All of this happening left Shuhua to stand there quite awkwardly in position.

 

“ Shushu, I had a great time with you today. Thank you for getting out of the bed and spending the day with me. “ This time the attention redirected to the youngest as Soojin smiles sweetly with her eyes in return making Shuhua swoon over it.

 

“ Me too Unnie, I’m glad I went out today. “ Smiles and happiness were clearly in attendance as the two girls resumed their little sweet moment. Yuqi sees it now. You just need to connect the pictures to paint the biggest picture of them.

 

“ Shuhua? Is that you? “ A deep gruntling voice appeared out of nowhere causing the girls to flinch. Shuhua looks back at the house and notices the lights were on, their parents must be home.

 

“ Yes, Pa? “ She responds drawing near the gate to make her voice more like her.

 

“ Come here, I need your help. “ Bummer, this means that if she goes in she can’t say good night nor see you tomorrow to the red-head, a little something they had going on. The mentioned girl releases a sigh and glances at their neighbor releasing a sad smile, and does her; “ Good night Jinjin. “ and rushes off to the house.

 

The other girl smiled and did a little “ good night “ of her own.

 

Yup, it’s there alright.

 

“ As an old friend, I did not see this coming Soojin. And as a sister, I definitely did not see this coming. “ Yuqi says almost threatening to their liking. Soojin is confused.

 

What did she mean all of the sudden?

 

“ What? I don’t understand. “ Genuinely she didn’t, wasn’t it normal to bid good night to a friend?

 

“ Soo, I advise you to not ask what you cannot handle. And believe me, you can’t handle Shuhua. “ The Chinese native spat out towards her friend and made way to their garage. Pushing it open, Yuqi grabs her and her sister’s bikes and turned around. “ Goodnight Soojin. “ And proceeded to enter the cramped space, returning their bikes to where they were found and hurried inside.

 

Once more, Soojin stilled outside the Yeh residence.

 

But this time, fear and confusion swelled her heart.

 

 

What did she mean?

 

 

oh well

peace and always love

x; _kingwoolf