Chapter 1

High Tides
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The moon casts a shimmering reflection on the water.

 

When you were in the water, it always looked so far away, out of reach, yet so incredibly close at the same time. Like there was always a chance it would one day fall out of the sky and you would be able to catch it.

Now though, as you stare out the window, it looks closer than ever. But you’re locked away in this castle, and you will never have the chance to touch it.

 

The sound of crashing waves makes you home sick.

 

“You’re still up?” The door clicks shut behind King Jongin. He undoes his cufflinks, loosening his tie. “I thought you would’ve went to sleep by now.”

“How could I?” You say bitterly, glancing at him in the corner of your eye. “When my husband is making his rounds?” The word leaves an acidic taste in your mouth.

You see him pause, as if composing himself, before sighing. “I thought you wouldn’t want to come with me. You’re my wife by name, but you have no such obligation.”

“I am the queen of this land now.” You say. “I do have such obligation.”

“Queen.” Jongin repeats, an edge in his tone. “…You’re right.”

He doesn’t say anything else as he takes off his dress shirt, changing into sleepwear. You haven’t even gotten out of your wedding dress yet. Somehow, you’re too exhausted to.

“Are you not going to sleep?” He asks, turning towards you. “Or do mermaids not sleep?”

“We do.“ You answer, looking back up at the moon. “I thought that…”

“We would consummate?” Jongin finishes your thought. Heat rises to your cheeks, a mixture of embarrassment and irritation. “Do you want to?”

“Oh, am I given a choice?” You spit out. “I am here against my will.”

“You are here for peace.” He says.

“Peace.” You whisper, the word painful to say. What is peace? Can a mere marriage really bring peace?

Jongin sighs. “We will not consummate. Not now, at least. One day we’ll need to produce an heir, but we have time. I will not touch you if you do not wish me to. You are my wife, not my prisoner. I want you to feel at home here.” He climbs into bed, turning away from you. “Goodnight.”

 

A lump forms in your throat, and you find that you cannot answer.

 

 

“The war has raged on long enough, don’t you all agree?” King Triton’s voice rings throughout the council. He sits on his throne, his trident in hand. The queen sits to his left, your sister to his right and you, by the queen. You are always farthest away from the king.

“So it has.” An advisor says. “What about it, Your Majesty?”

“I’m thinking of announcing a truce.” The king announces. “A peace treaty.”

Murmurs erupt throughout. Someone slams their fist onto the counter. “Your Majesty! A peace treaty at this time is preposterous! Just a little more and we’ll win the war. Those weak humans are at our mercy!”

Cries of agreement thunders as they protest against the decision. King Triton slams his trident against the floor, the sound making the council flinch and shush.

“I understand what you’re saying.” He starts. “But so many of our kin have been killed in the war. If we win…at what cost will it be? Before any more damage is done, I want to make peace, even if it’s only temporary.”

“And how do you suggest we do that, Your Majesty?” Another advisor asks. “The humans will certainly not agree to a mere peace treaty.”

“I am planning on marrying my second daughter to King Jongin.” He says. “She will go there as a gift, a representation of our good will.”

You flinch. You have never heard of this before, not to mention agreeing to it. You look up at the queen for help, but she doesn’t look at you. You sink your teeth into your bottom lip, head hanging low.

 

Oh, that’s right. No one here will help you. No one is on your side.

 

“Will they accept her?” One asks. You shrink as the council eyes you warily. “To marry someone like her into their kingdom…”

“They will surely accept.” King Triton says. “This treaty will only benefit them.”

Whispers and murmurs continue for a while before finally, King Triton strikes his trident against the ground again, declaring, “The decision is final.”

 

 

 

Light streams in through the curtains as you open your eyes. It’s bright, brighter than Atlantica ever was. It makes you squint, rolling around to avoid the window.

 

You’re alone.

 

Feeling the coolness on Jongin’s side, it seems he’s been up for a while. You push yourself up, stretching. You don’t feel very rested, especially with such a dream.

Your heart wrenches at the thought, and you quickly shake the memories

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter