Epilogue

High Tides
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You look into the vast ocean, humming quietly to yourself.

"You'll catch a cold standing there." Jongin wraps his jacket around you, the clothing warm from his body. You smile, pressing a kiss to his lips. 

"I'm fine." You say, taking in the peaceful moment. The sun is setting, painting the sky in a beautiful pink and orange glow. So serene, so beautiful. You wish time could stop at this very moment.

"It's getting late." Jongin presses a kiss to your temple. "We should start heading back."

"You're right." You say, standing and stretching. The ocean waves reach a little futher, trying to reach for you and you smile, removing your shoes and moving closer to the water. The ocean waves are cool against your feet, the sand soft. You follow the edge of the beach and call out, "Aria! It's time to head back."

Your daughter surfaces, her iridescent tail splashing as she climbs onto shore, morphing immediately into legs. You open your arms for her, giggling as she tackles you. To think that your child would be able to control her legs and tail like this without needing to wait for her tail to dry...

"Can I swim with you next time, mommy?" Aria asks as you take her hand, heading back towards the palace.

You mull over this question for a bit. You haven't gone swimming in a long time, probably not since Aria got used to her tail, and that must've been 5 or 6 years ago now. Ever since her birth, your desperate longing for the ocean subsided considerably, and you've had a weird hangup about going back into the water. Ever since the revolutionary attack, you haven't gone back once, only recieving reports and recruiting merfolk that are willing to come to the surface. But really, it's about time you go back.

You smile, squeezing Aria's hand. "Sure. Let's go swimming together next time."

Aria beams, then pulls away to run to her father. Jongin accepts her with open arms, lifting her high in the air and spinning her around. "Daddy! Mommy said she'll go swimming with me next time!"

"Really?" Jongin says, surprised. His eyes shine with joy. "That's great, sweetie."

"Will daddy join us?" She asks, sitting on his shoulders and fliddling with his dark brown hair.

He laughs. "Sure, but I can't go as deep as you or mommy."

"That's okay!" She wiggles her feet. "I'll stay at the top with daddy!"

You chuckle, trying to burn this image into your mind. The ocean wind blows through your hair, a song whistling.

Isn't that great? It sings. Isn't that great?

"Yes, it is." You whisper back, then quicken your pace to catch up to your husband and daughter.

"Mommy, can you sing me a lullaby?" Aria asks as you reach to turn off the light. You pause, surprised.

"I thought you're too old for lullabies now?" You tease, remembering her say that a while back, and you've stopped singing to her at night.

She pouts, snuggling deeper into the comforter. "Daddy said your song has magic. I want to hear it!"

You laugh, sitting beside her on the bed. "Well, maybe your song has magic too."

Her eyes widen and sparkle. "Me? Really?"

"Maybe." You say, patting her over the comforter. "You're my daughter after all."

"How do I know?" She asks, furrowing her brows. "Nothing eve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter