Chapter 7

High Tides
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A royal invitation was sent out to King Triton. A letter was sent back shortly after confirming their accordance to meet. Things were set up quickly, going by like a breeze.

You sit by the beach nervously, a luxurious dining table set up in the sand, all kinds of desserts and finger food decorating the surface. All that is required is for the Mer folk to show up.

 

A part of you is desperate they don’t show up.

 

Jongin places his hand over yours, easing your clenched fists to relax. He offers you a comforting smile. “Don’t worry, it’ll be fine.”

You force back a smile, nodding. You can’t bring yourself to say anything, just the never ending feeling of dread and fear churning in your stomach. You can imagine a thousand ways this meeting will go, and about two-thirds will end up a disaster.

Oh, please, please don’t show up.

 

But things never go your way, as you learned already. You hear the splashing of water, trumpets sounding to alert King Triton and the Queen’s presence. A second trumpet blares, announcing the arrival of the Mer princess.

 

Your heart stops.

 


Your head snaps up to witness them arriving. Your family rise above the water, faces calm and collected and so very composed. They wear formal Mer clothing, which may be considered immodest in human terms. The queen wears a transparent blue shawl over shoulders, decorated with many pearls and water droplets, a celeste cloth wrapped around her chest. The princess wears something similar, though less bedazzled. The King wears an golden arm band that curls across his arm likes waves. It symbolizes strength and leadership, which he wears only to special occasions. Of course, he holds his precious trident in his hand.

“Greetings, King of Havytte. I thank you for this kind invitation.” King Triton speaks. The trident glows as they begin to step out of the water, legs forming on the three of them. “Let me introduce: my wife, Marianna and my daughter, Koralia.”

You grimace at the carefully chosen words he speaks, much too polite to be genuine.

King Jongin and you stand to receive them. “Thank you, King Triton. I welcome you all to land. Please, take a seat and let us speak comfortably.”

They take a seat at the table, King Triton’s eyes landing on you. “I hope you are treating my daughter well.”

You bite back a scowl, desperately trying to keep the polite smile on your face. 

“Oh yes.” Jongin’s eyes light up, his smile wider. “She has been lovely. I enjoy our time together greatly.”

“Is that so?” There was slight disappointment in King Triton’s voice. “I’m glad to hear that.”

You fight the urge to roll your eyes. I hate you too, father.

“Land is much nicer than I expected.” Koralia muses, blue eyes watching Jongin’s carefully. She smiles, tantalizingly and your blood runs cold. “Would you mind if we visited more often from now on?”

“Of course I don’t mind.” Jongin seems rather happy about that. “You and all Mer folk are welcome anytime.”

Not a good idea, Jongin. You cast him a warning glance, but he doesn’t notice. You sink your teeth into your lips, trying so hard not to frown, hands clenching your dress so hard under the table you’re afraid you might rip the delicate cloth.

“You are a kind man, King Jongin.” She says, batting her eyelashes at him. She throws her long blonde hair over her shoulder, tilting her head at him. “Could you please take me on a tour around the castle after tea?”

“It would be my pleasure.” He replies courteously. 

No! You almost slam your fists onto the table, wanting nothing more than to upend it. Your eyes glare, furious with what she’s trying to do. How dare she flirt with him in your presence?

But alas you merely press your lips into a tight line, fighting hard against your instincts to stay seating, calm and poised like you are expected to.

 

The waves grow bigger, the sky in the distance darkening.

 

“I’m sure it was not easy sending your precious daughter to land.” Jongin starts gently, eyes softening as he glances at you. “I wanted to take this opportunity to reinforce our intention for peace, and let you see for yourself her life among the humans.”

He takes your hand, giving it a tight squeeze for them to see. “We are happily married. I intend to continue treating her as best as I can. I will give her my trust and love, as she will to me. Please rest assured she will have the best life here.”

“I am

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter