Chapter 9: Into the Pink Twilight

Blood Status
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So let me make it clear. You remember nothing after I handed you the drink at the food station.”

Jaemin sat in one of the scarlet comfy armchairs nursing a cup of green tea that Jisung handed him as his head lolled at the headrest. He groaned in reply.

“Okay…..this just got messier.”

Donghyuck stared at Jaemin like he is questioning why he has such a stupid, lightweight and outrageous when a drunk boy as his best friend.

“I know that Hyuck. You are supposed to tell me the solution, not the problem.”

“First of all it is your problem so why would I be solving it?”

“Because I have nobody to rely on but you, Renjun is way too blunt and Jisung is still a baby and I don’t for the love of God trust Chenle.” he made somewhat puppy eyes at his best friend because his headache is killing him and he might as well die annoying his best friend. Jisung protested at the corner and Chenle just didn’t bother.

“Haha…. Cute but gross. So what is in it for me?”

“Nothing…… I am sorry but I am just not in a mood for this.”

Jaemin turns sour. His best friend just doesn’t want to help him. He is evil for watching him suffer. Donghyuck must’ve realized that Jaemin is in no mood to joke about it so he changed the topic.

“I am sorry. I promised I would keep watch for you but I slipped up, okay…. You just vanished for a few hours and when you returned you were with Yoojung. You were holding hands and then you said something and fainted. Thankfully Renjun caught you. There were a few other students and also Yoojung’s friends there who said that you confessed to her before this fainting episode. Unfortunately, all the students heard it and it spread.”

“Wait! So you didn’t hear it? And I had disappeared and returned with Yoojung?”

“Yeah. I don’t know what you did though at that time.”

“So there is a possibility that I may have spent that time with Yoojung? Oh no! This is the worse. I don’t even remember what I did?”

 

“Probably kissed. Your lips were a bit swollen when you came or you were probably chewing on them so it got injured.”

Donghyuck said nonchalantly. Jaemin put his fingers over his own lips.

“Don’t worry, it isn’t severe. Chenle put some ointment on it. Almost puked on your perfect face though.”

Jaemin didn’t know what to do. Chenle puking on his face is the last of his concern. He did throw a grateful glance at the said boy though.

“Did you ask her about this? Like where we were and what we did?”

“Obviously. I love gos-…..umm information. So I asked but her but she was blushing so much I thought she would faint from blood loss. She was spluttering and was a minute from crying, plus her sister that Soojung is really scary so I dropped it. It looked like you did make out with her.”

There was an ‘Ewwww’ from Chenle and Jisung that Jaemin ignored. What were the boys doing here anyway?

“.”

Jaemin was done. He is done for good. He wants to go back in time with a time turner and kill off the drunken Jaemin.

As much as Donghyuck enjoyed seeing his friend in agony he knows it is indeed a serious problem and he is partly responsible for it.

“The easiest solution would be to go to her and confess that you don’t remember anything and reject her cleanly unless you want her to be your girlfriend. Then don’t do anything and just enjoy the show. You were always whining about getting a love life anyway. Be grateful it just dropped in front of you from the sky, just like that.”

He held Jaemin’s free hand.

“Look it is your decision to make I can’t help you out in that.”

Jaemin felt like a déjà vu again.

 

 

There were no classes today due to it being a weekend. So Jaemin had a much needed day off. So he spent the first half of the morning chatting with his best friends regarding his decision making. Renjun dropped by within that and dropped a ‘congratulation on scoring a girlfriend’ on his head and Jaemin groaned in response. It was his 23rd congratulation today. The negative side of popularity.

Baekhyun entered after a while. He was missing since last night and came back from Merlin-knows-where. He plopped down on the sofa in front and stared at Jaemin in a disappointed gaze.

“What is it Hyung? Why are you looking at me like that?”

“I am trying to assess whether you are truly happy after you confessed to the girl you liked in front of the whole school. They said you were so nervous about how much you liked her that you fainted after it.”

Jaemin facepalmed, he was neck-deep in misunderstandings.

“I don’t really remember the whole incident, Hyung. I was drunk. I probably fainted due to that reason. Because even while I am sober I can assure you of the fact I don’t like Yoojung as much as that people are speculating.”

Baekhyun thought about something for a moment.

“Do you like her?”

“No…no Hyung. I mean she is cute and sweet but that’s it. I haven’t thought about it.”

“That means you will be thinking about it.”

Jaemin sighed.

“Yes…no…maybe. Truthfully I don’t know. This thing has gotten too big.”

Baekhyun got up from his seat. He has a blank expression.

“I hope you decide soon. The news has spread throughout the school like wildfire. There are too many people who have no job to do except nose into people’s business. And it doesn’t help with the fact that you are a popular boy.”

He patted Jaemin on the back.

“Good luck kid, you’ll need it.”

Jaemin feels another headache coming.

 

 

Jaemin goes out to cool his head. The constant pondering has made him go insane. Donghyuck shoves him his woolen robes before he goes out for which he is thankful. It had been a bit chilly last few days.

He finds himself beside the lake.

The sky is overladen with deep gray clouds a stark contrast to the brilliant green mountains under it. The lake looks like a mirror, gray and calm without a single ripple like it is lifeless. The scenery of the Scotland highlands is reflected in it.

Jaemin remembers the Slytherin boy. He last saw him at DADA after their little incident at the bathroom. He had talked to Chanyeol deciding to avoid him; at least he has one thing less to worry about.

That makes him remember when he saw him here in his half drenched uniform coming out of the forest and he belatedly thinks if he was in the lake in his animagus form. Horned serpents tend to live around lakes and rivers mostly as they love to dwell in the water.

He doesn’t know how much time he has to spend sitting blankly in front of the lake when it starts to drizzle. But Jaemin doesn’t bother. If he gets sick he has a reason to avoid the pressing issues.

Nowadays whenever it rains he thinks of Jeno, if it is him making it rain. Horned serpents are known for bringing rainfall just like thunderbirds known for thunderstorms.

As if speaking of the devil he finds himself shielded from the light rain by a bright blue umbrella being held over his head. The bone-chilling wind blew past Jaemin carrying the strong scent of pine and citrus and Jaemin doesn’t need to turn to know who it is.

“Jeno.”

He looks up and sure enough, it is the boy looking down at him, hair all mussed up, half-dried rumpled uniform, a soaking robe and gray eyes filled with concern.

There goes his plan to ignore and avoid him.

“Don’t sit in the rain. You’ll get sick.”

Jaemin felt pettiness and irritation flare up inside him seeing the concern that exuded from him. All these for what? He is going to leave him anyway.

“What is it to you?”

It came off much ruder than he expected. He regretted it right after he said it. A flash of hurt passed through those pretty gray eyes.

“I am sorry. I was just conce-….. I am sorry.”

Jaemin felt even worse now. Jeno has enough ty things to handle; he doesn’t need Jaemin’s moodiness and like comments in his life.

“Don’t apologize. You did nothing wrong. It was me. I am sorry.”

“It’s okay. Let’s go inside. You’ll get sick like this.”

Jaemin made no movement to get up.

“Jeno.”

“Hmm.”

“Can I talk to you?”

He felt the boy freeze up. His eyes shifty as the bright blue umbrella in his hand swayed a bit.

“O-ok.” His reply came out a bit broken and high pitched like he is nervous. He kind of looked guilty. Jaemin is suspicious but he didn’t prod at it. He has a much more pressing issue to handle.

“What do you think I should do?”

“About what?”

Jeno settled down beside him on the wet grass, the umbrella hiked up on his arms settled in between them guarding a shoulder of each of them while other getting drenched in the light rain. But the warmth that seeped through their skin where their hands were placed adjoining, warmed them up so they forgot about their other cold shoulder.

“About the confession thing. You’ve heard about it right?”

Jeno just nodded his head in agreement, his eyes wandering off in the distance of the Great Lake.

“Why are you asking me?”

Jaemin shrugs.

“You always seem to have a solution to my problems.”

Jeno makes that ‘huh?’ sound when he is amused. Jaemin smiles at the exclamation. He finds it cute every time he hears it. He continues with his own talk.

“Truthfully I don’t remember anything about yesterday. Exactly nothing.”

Jeno looked a bit relieved. His stiff posture eased up as he relaxed on the grass his hands supporting his bad leaning posture.

“It’s okay. Some people when they get drunk they don’t remember what happened when they were drunk. It is normal. Just make sure not to drink so much next time.”

Jaemin just stared at the boy. He felt like he is missing out on something. There is something important that Jeno is hiding from him. But that is the usual Jeno. The Jeno who always hides and has a trail of skeletons following him from where they are buried in his cupboard. He wants to ask him a lot of things but he didn’t ask in the end because he knows the boy won’t tell him.

So he asks the question that has been pressing on him.

“So what should I do with Yoojung?”

“You confessed to her. Must mean you like her a lot.”

Jaemin sighed in frustration. Somehow Jeno saying it so nonchalantly felt wrong. He can’t put his finger on the reason for it though.

“Look, she is cute and pretty. But that’s all. I don’t even know her properly. Seriously, I have met her like once or twice at a gathering or something. We don’t even have common friends. But this matter has grown huge. I received a total of about 5o congratulations while walking through the corridors and its’ a day off. Imagine the scale. This is nuts. And I am confused as to what should I do.”

“You can know her slowly when you start dating her.”

Jaemin clicked his tongue in annoyance.

“Why are you so hells bent on making me date her?”

“I am not saying that. I am just giving you a reason. You can date her. No one will be opposed to it, is what I am saying.”

“What if I don’t like her?”

“You can’t say that unless you have tried, do you?”

Jaemin sighed in frustration throwing his hands in the air and kicking his legs in the wet grass like a petulant child.

“Why are you being like this? You must want me to date her, don’t you? Can’t wait to get me off your back?”

Jeno looks unimpressed.

“You know that is not it.”

“Then what is it? It is like you are pushing me to agree to date her.”

“I am not.”

“You are.”

“Look, it is your decision whatever you want to do. So take it comfortably. You can be selfish once in a while, nobody will blame you.”

“Being selfish is wanting to date Yoojung? That is your conclusion about my problem?” Jaemin scoffs. He can feel the building irritation under his skin.

Jeno looks equally frustrated and irritated.

“I never said that.”

“You just did.”

“I just want you to be happy. Okay? You confessed to the girl it must mean something right?”

“Nononono….not you too. I can’t believe this! I told you I have no recollection of it.”

“Doesn’t change the fact you indeed did it. Just not remembering it doesn’t mean it can be ignored.”

Jaemin looks speechless.

“Are you getting mad at me?”

“What? No.” Jeno looked irritated though. He must’ve realized it so he breathes in and calms down a bit.

Jeno places the handle of the umbrella in Jaemin’s palm and gets up.

“Whatever you choose will be a good decision. Have some confidence.”

And before Jaemin can retort something back Jeno gets up and he sees him run towards the castle in the rain.

He always sees the boy’s back running away from him after each and every encounter and it is like he regrets letting go of him every time. Jaemin wishes he could’ve spent some more time with him.

Jeno’s presence calms him down usually. But this time he was feeling unsettled like he was yet to resolve some issues between them. There was also some irritation mixed in his own emotions that he couldn’t find the reason to.

 

He goes to the Hufflepuff dormitory in the afternoon. He needs to resolve this issue as fast as possible.

It is Yuta who greets him with a knowing smirk and don't get Jaemin wrong he really likes his smile but this one makes him wanna sock him in the face.

“G’Afternoon, lover boy. Here to collect your beloved?”

Jaemin forces a smile.

“More like to talk.”

“Whatever you say, lover boy.”

“Stop calling me that please.”

 

Yoojung seemed to be waiting for him when he sees her.

The Hufflepuff common room is much comfier than any other common room of the school. The actual basement itself is round, earthy, low-ceilinged, welcoming, and warm. There are lots of yellow hangings, burnished copper, and overstuffed sofas and armchairs upholstered in yellow and black, and small circular windows that provide a vista of rippling grass and dandelions. There is also a large, honey-colored, wooden mantelpiece with carvings of badgers on it. This is located underneath a portrait of the house's founder, Helga Hufflepuff.

When he enters the common room he can clearly see the giggly bunch of 3rd years and 2nd years staring at him blatantly gathered around a sofa. Usually, he would not mind the stares but today he hates it.

“Hey.” It came out a bit tired, Jaemin thinks.

“Hi.”

Yoojung looked cheerful yet shy. There was a blush high on her cheeks. Her brown orbs flickered around here and there so as to not make her staring at him obvious.

“Umm…can we talk?”

“Y-yeah….I mean o-of-course. I am totally free.”

Jaemin tried to signal her to move to somewhere more private but Yoojung was oblivious, busy staring at him like she is spellbound.

“Ummm…” he coughed awkwardly. “Somewhere else maybe?”

“Uh…okay.”

She blushed like mad when she realized she was staring.

They were going to leave but another girl popped out.

Soojung, he presumed glared at him like a strict mother.

“I would be accompanying you. I don’t particularly trust you with my sister.”

“Sis!” Yoojung nudged her elder sister on her side blushing furiously. Her face resembling a ripe tomato.

Jaemin on the other hand felt a bit sick in his stomach. Looks like last night something did happen. Maybe Donghyuck was telling the truth, maybe they did kiss. That’s why her sister doesn’t trust him. He drunkenly kissed an innocent girl whom he had no previous connection to and now he is here to clear up the possible misunderstanding.

Let’s hope Jaemin can get out of this unscathed.

! Jaemin is ed.

 

They stood in the corner of the hallway within the eyesight of her protective older sister as Jaemin opened his mouth to talk but Yoojung beat him to it.

“I like you. I mean I really really like you. More than I should, truthfully. So I was very happy when you confessed. It is like a dream come true. So…..”

She twiddled her thumbs looking shy yet desperate.

“Jaemin Na, stay by my side. I would love to be with you. Please don’t break my heart.”

Her eyes were a bit red and tears had gathered in the corner them and Jaemin was feeling more helpless. He is already at rejecting people and worse at rejecting crying people.

“I umm...”

“Please go out with me?”

The effect of the crying puffy puppy eyes was in full force and Jaemin felt trapped. He can already hear the excited giggles and chirping of the eavesdroppers in the back and feel Soojung’s glare at his form.

“I uh…”

“I know you like me, you told me last night. I mean you can’t exactly say you dislike me after what happened.” She blushed again. And Jaemin felt dread twisting in his gut.

Just what the did he do? Should he ask? Would that be a rude move to make? Maybe she would think he is an asking what happened after he kissed her like it was nothing. Oh god, everyone would think I am a jerk.

 “……M-maybe not as much as I like you. But we can get there slowly. I’ll make sure of it.”

 Yoojung is rambling and Jaemin is feeling like an for stringing this girl along.

“So…you are gonna say yes, aren’t you? Since you also like me….”

Jaemin looked resigned.

What is the worst that can happen? They will break up a few days later that’s all. On the bright side of things, he might even fall in love with her and bring home a girlfriend.

‘You won’t know until you have tried, do you?

“Okay.”

“Huh?”

Jaemin thinks Jeno’s ‘huh’ is much cuter.

“Let’s go out. Me and you.”

His own internal screaming was drowned in the screaming of the people around him.

 

 

 

When he returned to the Gryffindor tower mentally exhausted Donghyuck just looked at him questioningly.

“So, what happened?”

Renjun was reading a book when he looked up from there. Jisung and Chenle stopped their bickering to listen in.

“I have a girlfriend now. I couldn’t reject her.”

There was an awkward silence.

It was Chenle who spoke out.

“I don’t know Hyung. We should be congratulating you but you look like you need some condolences.”

 

Jaemin really hates this boy.

 

 

 

 

The news spread like wildfire, doesn’t help the fact that Yoojung is sticking to Jaemin like a leech and that also means her sister is always monitoring their moves like a hawk on attention. One wrong move and he is done for.

Donghyuck has named them Sticky gum for Yoojung and Icky gum for Soojung. Though he doesn’t like them much he doesn’t comment on them also. Donghyuck is the blunt type who says things to face if he doesn’t like but since it is Jaemin’s girlfriend he just stays clear whenever Yoojung and her sister and her giggly gang arrive. The same behavior is also exhibited by Renjun and Jisung. But not Chenle, he openly calls them out. When has Chenle ever cared though?

 

The first week is hell for Jaemin.

The first day he wakes up groggy in the morning to go for breakfast and he sees his ‘girlfriend’ right in front of the Gryffindor entrance of the Fat Lady all dolled up and waiting for him.

“Morning Bub. Did you get enough sleep?”

Jaemin winces at the nickname while Donghyuck makes gagging sound at the back which earns him a death glare from her sister who is closely following by. Soojung extends it to Jaemin as if warning him to keep his friends in check. And Jaemin is slightly offended.

“Morning, Yoojung. Breakfast?”

Yoojung seemed extra happy she tries to kiss Jaemin’s cheek but he dodges it at the right moment bending down to tie his shoelaces. Donghyuck sniggers at the back. Not even Soojung’s glare can stop him this time.

Breakfast is a tedious job as the girls sit with them and they eat quietly except for Yoojung who keeps chattering like a happy bird. The usual boisterous group at the Gryffindor table is quiet creating an awkward atmosphere. Even Jisung shifts away a bit when they settle down for breakfast.

“Jisungie…why are you going away from me? Come to mommy.”

Jaemin tries to grab the younger to give him a hug but the boy slinks away like an eel. The table bursts into chuckles at their antics and Jaemin is glad for this bit of normalcy.

“Hyung, stop.” The younger boy grabs Jaemin’s head by his long gangly limbs as he tries to keep him at bay.

“Why are you his mommy? Shouldn’t you be his Dad or something?”

And the table falls silent again at Yoojung’s question. Because truthfully they have never considered it much. If Jaemin and Jisung say he is the mother then he is. What is there to question anyway? Gender roles were something they have not thought of while joking around.

Jaemin smiled a bit awkwardly.

“It’s just a running joke. I nag him a lot that’s why it came to be.”

“Still shouldn’t it be a dad?” Yoojung blushed as she spoke again. “I can be the mom though.”

Jaemin didn’t answer, Jisung looked constipated, everyone looked awkward and Donghyuck just snorted. Baekhyun who came in yawning and heard the conversation just settled down on his usual seat. He threw a nonchalant reply.

“It’s just your first day of dating. Aren’t you going a bit too fast?”

Yoojung blushed in embarrassment Soojung reflexively glared but Baekhyun was her senior so when he stared back at her, she had to back down, albeit grudgingly.

The rest

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter