Chapter 7: Beauty in the Eye of the Beholder

Blood Status
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The incident at the Forbidden Forest was hushed up by both Jaemin and his best friend. They didn’t have the courage to even go near it again. At the same time it left Jaemin intrigued.

Jaemin was born to a father who loved Magical Creatures and worked with them all the time, so by habit or daily intake of information at the dining table Jaemin was more or less familiar with the habitats and behaviors of all most all the commonly found creatures of Europe as per the Magical Creatures Classification chart.

But he can’t remember an animal with similar features in the grade of 1 to 3 so it is possible it belonged to grade 4 or 5. But that would signify that Jaemin and his best friend just came back from the grasp of death because the rest are mostly Muggle and Wizard killers especially XXXXX ones.

Jaemin shivers at the thought. He should warn Jeno before the boy gets in danger.

 

While Jaemin is contemplating whether he should tell his conclusions to his best friend to freak him out a bit more or not, Renjun barrels into the Gryffindor Common room with the subtlety of an angry rhino.

Donghyuck was lounging lazily at the sofa leaning on Mark as they listened to Johnny bicker with Doyoung regarding the last Quidditch match. Renjun’s entrance made him sit up. The finals were tomorrow between Slytherin and Gryffindor, so they were a bit tense.

“Wassup nerd?”

Renjun flopped down on one of the scarlet armchairs in front of Jaemin not before hitting Donghyuck on the head for calling him a nerd.

“I just went with Kun to meet with Professor Slughorn. And do you know what I heard?”

“No, but you are gonna tell me anyway.”

“He said the second year exams were terrible this time. A lot of people apparently failed in potions.”

“WHAT?????”

Donghyuck, Renjun, and Jaemin thought they were screwed.

But there was a difference. Renjun was only acting screwed he wasn’t in reality. On the other hand, Donghyuck and Jaemin were both acting screwed because they really were. Jaemin probably a bit more than Donghyuck.

it! A lot more than Donghyuck cause unlike the former Jaemin also screwed up the theory. And he has no one to blame except for his own Goldfish memory.

After that al thoughts of the snake incident flew out of his mind. And he was in perpetual gloom. Not even Baekhyun’s chocolate frogs were able to improve his mood.

To make it worse the next day Gryffindor lost to Slytherin in the Finals. All because Oh Sehun: the new Slytherin seeker was like a hawk. He spotted the snitch fifteen minutes into the game and shot like a bullet across the field to grab it. The Gryffindor seeker, their very own Mark was not able to even figure out what happened before the match ended in their loss.

Slytherin’s win confirmed their House Cup also.

Previously it was only Jaemin that was upset now the whole of Gryffindor tower is gloomy. Finally, he couldn’t take it anymore and left.

After the morning match, nobody was in the mood for lunch so instead of going to the Great Hall he went out to the fields. He sat by the bank of the Great Lake at a secluded corner near the forest as he skipped stones on the water. The weather was cloudy with a hint of rain in the air. It made the lake look gray and bleak.

“What are you doing here?”

Jaemin turned to see Lee Jeno towering over him.

“Why? I can’t sit here?”

Jeno didn’t do anything. He was a Slytherin and Jaemin was just feeling salty about the House cup.

Jeno looked a bit amused at Jaemin’s sulking.

“No. I didn’t mean it that way. It’s far away from the school building almost at the edge of the Forbidden Forest. It’s not good to sit here alone. What if something attacks you from there? This area is pretty secluded too.”

Jaemin just scoffs. He was not in the mood to listen to people.

“Nothing will happen. Stop being such a killjoy, will you?”

Jeno sits down beside him. Jaemin glares at him a bit.

“Wow! You didn’t even ask if I want you to sit beside me. What happened to the cold Lee Jeno who hates people and doesn’t want to be friends with me?”

Jeno looked even more amused. He didn’t say anything he just extended his hand and Jaemin begrudgingly held onto it.

Jeno’s hands were ice cold. Jaemin interlaced their fingers and grip onto his hand with both hands trying to put some warmth into it. He finally looks at his seatmate.

Jeno looks like he took a dip in the water. His shirt was dry leaving upper buttons open, but the hem of his pants was dripping with water. His hair looks freshly dried probably a drying charm, droplets of water still sticking to his pale neck. His robe is lying beside him soaked like a sponge in a puddle of water. His green striped tie tucked away in his pocket.

“Did you swim in the Great Lake? Why are you this soaked?”

Jeno looks at himself then at Jaemin. He chuckles awkwardly.

“Not really, I was out and fell into the lake because I was clumsy.”

Jaemin thought there was much more to it but as usual, he didn’t ask.

“Never mind me, what about you? What got you so upset?”

Jaemin sighs for the umpteenth time that day and it was just twilight there were still hours left before the day ends.

“Your House Head has failed many 2nd years in Potions because their performance is not satisfactory.” Jaemin hesitates a bit. “And probably I am one of them.”

Jeno just nods listening carefully.

“Also your house won the House cup. Advanced congratulation on that. I am just sad and sulky. It’s okay, I’ll be fine. I just need some time alone….probably.”

Jeno thinks for a while.

“I think I have a solution for the first one. How about I’ll meet you at the wooden bridge within 15 minutes? Is that fine with you? I need to change out of this.”

Jaemin just nodded in response and let him go.

 

 

 

Jeno as he said was at the meeting place within 15 minutes. He was wearing a dark-colored button-down untucked and black slacks. His hair was properly dried and fell all over his forehead messily un-styled unlike usual and it made him look much casual than his normal uptight aura.

They sat down on the bridge feet dangling down through the gaps into the air as the saw the sunset on the horizon. Dusk was approaching fast and soon darkness will fall like a curtain over them. There were some rain clouds that have gathered on the horizon.

“So you said something about a solution. What is it?”

Jeno gives him a box. It is a wooden box onyx black in color with intricate carvings on it. Mostly vines and flowers, but they look so lifelike Jaemin feels a little awed. He traces his fingers over the mounds and dips in it marveling at the craftsmanship.

“This is your solution……and your birthday gift.”

Jaemin is surprised that Jeno remembers his birthday.

“Open it.” Jeno urges.

And Jaemin opens it. The inside is lined with deep emerald green velvet.

Inside the first thing, he notices is a bouquet of five-night blooms. They are still beautiful. Jaemin traces the petals holding the purple and aqua constellation in them and light flowed into the dark-colored heart-shaped leaves through its veins.

The last time he got these flowers they stayed for 6 months before they wilted away.

But what was even more attractive was the glass vial beside it. It was a small diamond cut vial with a decorated cork to seal the mouth. There is glittery golden liquid inside it. The liquid looked like molten gold and was sprightly. The large golden drops coming up on the surface jumping up like a goldfish and melting in again. Jaemin very carefully puts it in his hand.

“Is it what I am thinking it is?”

“Yes. It is indeed Liquid Luck.”

Jaemin squeals. He can’t believe it; he is holding something so precious.

Felix Felicis or liquid luck as it is colloquially known as is an advanced potion. Hard to brew and even harder to perfect. It has to be stewed for 6 months at least to get the perfectly sparkly molten gold color. The gathering of the ingredients just adds to the difficulties. Ashwinder eggs, shells of eggs of Occamy, Murtlap’s tentacles etc. each harder than others in terms of obtaining them.

Suddenly thinking about it Jaemin feels guilty, it must be very expensive but Jeno is giving it away to him nonchalantly to him as a birthday present.

“This…..t-this is too expensive for a gift. I can’t accept this.”

Jaemin gripped the vial not wanting to let go though his conscience betrayed him.

Jeno looked even more amused and gave him an eye crinkling smile.

“It’s okay. It’s not expensive since I made it. The ingredients are also gathered so nothing to feel bad about. Though it is not very strong. The effect is up to 2-3hrs a day. Can be used only once a day not more than one drop dose or can cause toxicity. The container contains 6 drops amount hence you can use it six times but that’s all.”

Jaemin was glad to know that it was not expensive yet amazing that Jeno can actually make something advanced like this.

“I could use this to win the House Cup. Do you trust me enough with this?”

“No usage of it during examinations and sports like Quidditch according to the Ministry of Magic. They have tracking devices that screen for it. So, use at your own discretion. Also if you use it to win house cup you will be failing in Potions and I hope that it is okay with you since it is on the same day and it can only be used once a day. Keep in mind though; Luck is not everything your effort consists of 50% of your success.”

Jeno smiles a bit wider at Jaemin’s animated sigh of despair and crestfallen expression.

“It’s okay; I trust you won’t be misusing it.” Jeno smiles all gentle eyes and upturned corners of lips. And Jaemin feels warm all over. “Also no sharing. The potion as well as the information about the maker if you please. I’ll trust you with that also.”

Jaemin nodded his head violently, agreeing to each and every term.

Then suddenly he thought of something.

“You are always giving me such amazing gifts. What about you? What do you want for your birthday?”

Jeno didn’t reply. He got up to leave.

“Jenoooooo… I am not done talking. You can’t leave without answering.”

He grabbed hold of Slytherin’s wrist not letting him go.

“Tell me. What do you want for your birthday? Huh? I would try to get it. Why won’t you tell me? Is it too expensive...then I can-?”

Jeno grips Jaemin’s hand back twisting his hand out. His cool slender fingers resting on his pulse point over his wrist and he closes his eyes.

It starts raining then. Pitter-patter raindrops fell on the tiled roof of the wooden bridge spraying little specks of water on the two boys as they hit the wooden railing. Jaemin stills in his grip, there is an unusual silence around them except for the sound of raindrops hitting the surface as they fell like ice bullets from the grey clouds.

 

Jeno doesn’t say anything. He just feels his pulsation bopping against his fingertips and finally opens his eyes. There is a complicated look in his eyes. It was sad but with a trace of happiness. Lee Jeno is a living paradox.

“I already got my present long ago. Thank you, Jaemin.”

He smiles a gentle one and leaves. Jaemin sits there stupefied as he stares at the disappearing back of the boy.

 

 

 

Jaemin puts a drop of Liquid luck in his goblet and downs it one go. A warmth and confidence surges in him like electricity. He feels like he can conquer the world. But now, conquering potions come first.

And conquer he does. He passes Potions, barely though but he passes nonetheless. Donghyuck also passes. Renjun too. But the rest are not that lucky. Kun was not joking when he told Renjun that Slughorn has failed a lot.

Jeno comes first, and nobody is surprised. Renjun is angry and irritated, but he comes second….again. Jaemin unsurprisingly makes it to the list securing the 11th position. He had studied hard and performed quite well in all subjects except Potions so it was expected. Donghyuck doesn’t he sulks a bit but nonetheless happy for his friends.

Surprisingly Chenle comes second among first years. Jaemin should have known. The younger Slytherin was always studying with the Lee’s and Chanyeol was tutoring him in potions. Jisung doesn’t make it to the charts but he passes in all of the subjects.

Lee Taeyong rises from his last third rank to first and Donghae is perpetually occupying his first position. All the Lee’s in first and hence Slytherin as an extension solidifies their claim on the House Cup.

Renjun grumbles under his breath as Jaemin looks for the familiar silhouette at the Slytherin table. He finds Jeno smiling at something Chenle said. The younger was leaning on him, arms around his waist as he acted cutely. Jeno patted his head at his antics. He didn’t meet Jaemin’s gaze and Jaemin didn’t get to say his thanks.

Jaemin felt a bit uncomfortable and irritated but was soon distracted by Baekhyun who was elated as he got the 7th place in the exam and hugged Jaemin like an octopus.

 

They packed their bags the whole day.

The term-end dinner went as usual. And soon it was time to declare the House cup results. It was no surprise for anybody when Slytherin won again. They were the only house that celebrated and Horace Slughorn could never be more proud as he rubbed the achievements of his house to the other house heads.

The Great Hall was decorated in emerald green and silver with green flames lighting up the corner. And hence Jaemin’s second year in Hogwarts ended.

 

 

When Jaemin went back home a surprise waiting for him. His family from the father’s side was waiting back at home for him. There were his uncles and cousins and grandparents. There was also Na Minwoo. He was his uncle in the Na family. But he is more like his older brother as his father being the eldest brother practically raised him like a parent due to their age difference of 15 years. They were the only wizards in the family so it couldn’t be helped. Long before Jaemin was born, he even stayed with his parents, so he was more like the eldest brother to him of the family.

Jaemin hasn’t seen Minwoo much after he went to school. Minwoo got a scholarship from Ilvermory School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and then got a job at the Magical Congress of the USA so he settled over there and he rarely visits London. He came once when Jaemin was in 1st year but then he was in Hogwarts and they missed each other out.

 

Seeing him was a pleasant surprise. And above all, he came boring gifts. Mainly food items like snacks.

 

Speaking of gifts….his mother was quite pleased to see another bouquet of night blooms.

“You can date whoever is giving this to you. You have my approval.”

“Mom!!”

“What? Such a dedicated soul. You ought to give him something back.” Jaemin thinks for a while.

Maybe he should but Jaemin has no idea what to give him. He finds that he barely knows anything about Jeno. All he knows is he likes pumpkin pasties, gazing at nature and he fights like a pro.

And that’s not enough information to find him a suitable gift.

Jaemin was enjoying some coffee with his mother in the afternoon at the counter-table top of their minimalistic modern kitchen. The afternoon sun of London bathed the living room across them in a faint orange glow. The night blooms glowed brilliant purple and aqua blue on the black marble countertop.

 “Mom, why do you like these flowers so much?”

“All Veelas like them. But they are really rare and expensive hence even if we like them we can’t always get them. And they grow at places where magic is abundant in the air and water. Usually deep in enchanted forests protected under the watch of powerful magical creatures. So no hope of getting any…..That makes me think how did this person get it?”

“I have no idea.”

“Let me tell you an interesting piece then. When you were born somebody sent me a bouquet of this. Exactly five stalks. I was elated I think it was sent by a fan. It was written ‘dedicated to the new life born. Welcome, little one.’ It was so cute. There were a lot of fun presents from the fans but that one I clearly remember. Your dad and Minwoo were there and they were crying so loudly and……”

Jaemin zoned out the rest. He was surprised to hear it, but before he can question his mom further there was a knock on the front door and Minwoo entered with shopping bags in his hands. Hence the questions were forgotten.

 

 

Jaemin spent his birthday happily. Donghyuck and his family joined in for the celebration. They had a house party and at the end of the day, Jaemin was laughing from having too much fun.

Some presents arrived from friends mostly books, pretty bookmarks, a bottle of essential oil, a box of chocolates, etc.

That night Donghyuck stayed over as they unpacked the presents on Jaemin’s bed. Minwoo joined them a bit later and soon they were chatting like old friends.

“So how is Hogwarts? It can’t be better than Ilvermory.”

“Much better than Ilvermory, I love Hogwarts very much thank you.”

They fought like children over whose school is better and then finally moved on to the topic of friends.

“Renjun is a worrywart. He just loves studying. A bit arrogant and violent but he is good at heart.”

“Seems like a typical Serpent.”

“Serpent? No, he is Ravenclaw.” Donghyuck corrected.

“No, I was talking about my school. You know the Horned Serpent house. I think it is comparable to your Ravenclaw House. They are usually scholars. We call them the Serpents. Hence Horned Serpents: the house of the wise. Represents the mind and favors the scholars. ” he finished with a sarcastic flourish to his tone.

Donghyuck was intrigued.

“What was your house?”

“Wampus: Represents the body. Favors the warriors.”

“That sounds a lot like Gryffindor.” Jaemin quipped.

“Yeah, kind of. It was founded by Webster Boot. Isolt Sayre’s adopted son. While Horned Serpent was founded by Isolt Sayre herself. She became the first headmistress.”

“Our names are way cooler. Who names their house like that?” Donghyuck jokes nudging him.

Minwoo shook his head at their pettiness.

“I think everybody knows about the story of Isolt Sayre and the Horned Serpent that she saw in the forest that helped her out.”

“Yea… well everybody knows that.”

Jaemin continued as Donghyuck nodded in affirmation.

“She met a Horned Serpent with whom she felt a kinship and then one day he came to her dreams and told her ‘Incorporate me in your family or your family will die’ and allowed her to take a little shaving off his horn. Isolt and her husband made two wands with it as core and gifted it to their adopted sons on their coming of age. Later the wand saved their family from the hands of their evil aunt Gormliath Gaunt. Isolt named the house after her benefactor.”

“Wait! Gaunt? Isolt Sayre was a Gaunt before she got married?”

Jaemin gave Donghyuck an ‘are you seriously kidding me’ look.

“You didn’t know that Isolt Sayre was a Gaunt?”

Minwoo asked surprised and Donghyuck was embarrassed.

“Hyunggggg, we haven’t gone that far in the History of Magic. I just got into the third year. How do you expect me to know?”

“Yeah….that’s true.” Jaemin agreed. “I know because my dad told me the story. He was telling how Voldemort and Isolt were from the same family but had such a different mentality. One did evil while the other only did good.”

“Now that you say it. It does is surprising. I guess not all Gaunt are bad. But I think she was good because she ran away from home at a young age. Or she would’ve ended up like her aunt. I heard her father was pretty good also.” Minwoo agreed.

And then they shifted to how History of Magic increases their stress levels as the night rolled on.

 

 

Soon it was time to return. And Jaemin can’t wait. Maybe for the last two Years, Hogwarts had become more of a home to Jaemin than his original one.

He reaches the platform on time as they board the Hogwarts express. They find Renjun in one of the cabins saving them a seat. Jisung and Chienle were already there. And so was Mark.

Mark has started to hang out with them a lot. Donghyuck seems to like him a lot also.

 As for Jaemin, he is glad his best friend made another friend. He has a good impression of him. He knows Mark is kind, sweet, and really helpful. He also plays good Quidditch and has a cute laugh (the last part that is just what Donghyuck told him). Jaemin himself hasn’t interacted much with him except for study sessions and other house affairs or group gatherings. He knows he is a good guy though. As for the Quidditch part he has seen him play but Jaemin was never interested in Quidditch in the first place so he is kind of clueless there.

 

Halfway through the conversation Jaemin zones out, as usual, eyes searching for a familiar figure in the crowd of people outside.

 

Chenle is the one who spots them first. Jaemin thinks the boy has Lee's radar.

Settled by the window Jaemin sees the Lees enter the platform through the portal. There were Lee Chaerin and her three kids. This time there was also Park Chanyeol with them and another woman. He assumed her to be Chanyeol’s mother as the lady stood on his tiptoes to kiss his son’s cheek. They had the same large brown doe eyes and doll-like face.

“That’s Ms. Park. Chanyeol Hyung’s mother. I heard their family is close with the Lee.”

Chenle supplied helpfully.

True t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter