Chapter 1 : The Lee Family

Blood Status
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: words in italics are Jaemin's thoughts.

1ST SEPTEMBER 2007;

Jaemin was perfectly on time. He reached the 9 ¾ platform at 10:20 am sharp at London’s King Cross station.

He held his mother’s hand tightly, though he is the extrovert type who likes making new friends but he has never lived away from home too long. He has stayed at Donghyuck’s place but he is his neighbor so it doesn’t count. But that doesn’t mean he is not excited at the prospect. He had heard from his best friend that dorms are fun. Not only that there is Quidditch and Hogsmeade trips and the last but not the least House Competition.

“I still don’t like it. Beaux baton was a much better choice. Their uniform is also prettier.” His mother holding his hand huffed in frustration. She had a tilt of Bulgarian accent mixed in her speech. She was a graduate from the Beaux-baton Academy Of Magic of France so it was obvious she would be in support of her own school.

“But no…I don’t know why your father is so obsessed with Hogwarts, I get it he is a student of the school but for god’s sake that school is a battleground of the Second Wizarding War. Do you know how many students died then? 50 casualties and that is not it there were even more.”

“That was almost 10 years ago mom.” Jaemin smiled and shook his head.

They had been having this battle of which-school-should-we-send-our-son back in his home for the last few years. His dad is a loyal Hogwarts graduate and mom being from Beaux-baton it is an unyielding one that ended up in a flurry of feathers and a few fireball shaped burn on the carpet and the walls. Finally it ended when Jaemin decided on Hogwarts but not after resisting a lot of persuasion from his mother,

At 11 years of age he received the letter from Hogwarts sealed by the red wax stamped with the logo of four houses. It stated Jaemin was invited there as a student, he was to complete a year of Muggle studies (which was not a problem as his father was a Muggle born wizard) and there was also an accompanying apology for not being able to start the school year sooner as compared to before. Jaemin saw no issues with it as he thinks 14 years is a good age to start Hogwarts.

 

Now, he is here listening to her mom chirping away like a bird about her school while he waits patiently for his best friend Hay Donghyuck to arrive.

His mother soon realized that Jaemin was not listening her chatter so she tapped her son’s pretty head and let out the nth frustrated sigh in the last 1 hr. Jaemin looked up to see her flick a wisp of her long blonde hair past her shoulder. Sensing her son’s gaze on herself she smiled at him warm and affectionate. Irrespective of his choice of school he is still her adorable son.

To be truthful saying Jaemin’s mother was beautiful was an understatement. She was gorgeous. She had the characteristic moon-bright pale skin, the white gold hair that fans out behind her even in the absence of wind and bright watery blue eyes and tall willowy frame. If people haven’t guessed it yet then the silvery glow and the number of heads that have turned to stare at her is a dead giveaway. Jaemin’s mother is a Veela.

So that makes Jaemin who is her son a Half-Veela.

Though he has not acquired her absolute white gold hair, but it’s an odd mixture of strawberry blonde with darker undertones and brownish streaks. But Jaemin thinks it suits him well enough. The watery blue eyes are present though along with the all encompassing Glamour a vital characteristic of his Veela blood.

Needless to say the people at the 9 ¾ station had been staring at them relentlessly. Some have tripped on their suitcases, some has collided with others while walking with their head turned, and in a word it’s a bit of a chaos. But the mother and son pair is used to it as they stand amidst the crowd nonchalantly sipping coffee ignoring the stares and chaos they have caused.

It’s not like Jaemin dislikes the attention. In fact it’s quite the opposite he loves basking in it. He loves the shocked expressions, the head turns, and the utter chaos to catch a glimpse of him.

At first Donghyuck used to scoff at him “they are just enchanted by your Glamour, nothing else. They are not looking at you.”

Jaemin was at first offended then got upset but then finally when he was able to control it by the age of 12 with the help of his mother he found out that he is still very much considered beautiful in normal standards and hence he was back to being cheerful again.

Donghyuck is just jealous. Even without the Glamour he is still pretty so Glamour or not doesn’t change the fact he is definitely beautiful enough to turn heads.

As he was thinking about miscellaneous things, he finally spotted Donghyuck’s caramel brown mop of hair. He lifted his hand in a wave as he beckoned his friend to walk faster. Donghyuck hobbled towards him in the packed station with his luggage and the cage containing his tawny owl, his parents on toe.

He rudely pushed a middle aged wizard aside who was gaping at Jaemin and his mom for too long a time to be comfortable with a fleeting barely there “Excuse me” as he finally reached Jaemin.

He bumped his shoulder with him and wiggled his eyebrows with an expression that shouldn’t be on the face of a boy who is 14 years old.

“You’re already turning heads, huh? Na Jaemin?”

Jaemin just smiled his characteristic lazy charming smile. He can hear loud gasps and swoons behind him. Pleased with the reaction he continued.

“It can’t be helped since I am beautiful inside out.”

Donghyuck just scoffed. He would have made retching noises and cursed out if Mrs. Na wasn’t there but Jaemin was lucky this time.

Donghyuck diverted his attention to Jaemin’s mom.

“Mrs. Na you look as beautiful as always.”

Jaemin’s mom being well….his mom also loved complements and attentions so no wonder she loves Donghyuck’s sweet talking .

“Oh! You sweet thing. Please take care of my Jaemin in school.”

Donghyuck smiled his famous -up-to-smile.

“Of course we are best friends.”

 

Before Jaemin can retort something funny and equally scalding to Donghyuck’s statement, suddenly the chaotic station fell quiet.

 

At sharp 10:45 the portal on the wall of the 9 ¾ station opened up to 4 people to enter the station. And they were the centre of attention of the crowd presently.

It was a woman followed by three boys.

The woman was tall, platinum blonde hair almost bordering to silver, prominent kohl lined gray-green eyes, large antique silver earrings covering the whole helix arch of the ears dangling chains to her shoulders. She wore pitch black formal ensemble inside covered by a long billowy deep almost blackish green robe outside. There is a black bowknot over the collar of her shirt and the typical Wizengamot badge pinned to her robes. She walked with confident steps, back straight as an arrow, as her sons (presumably) followed behind her.

“It’s the Lees’…”

“That’s the famous Lees’!! Isn’t it?”

There was hushed excited whispering all around the station. The crowd parted away to give way. Jaemin saw Donghyuck’s dad Mr. Hay bow his head when she passed close by.

Following her in a line were three boys. Jaemin had always considered him the best looking but seeing them he cannot help but admit he might be wrong. But he is still in top 3.

The first boy, obviously a senior was already in his Hogwarts uniform, tall well built, green silver striped tie, and a prefect badge pinned on his black robes, black rimmed spectacles perched on his sharp nose. A bit tanned skin, perfectly combed black hair an aloof disposition with a diplomatic smile on his handsome face very much in line to his house of snakes.

“It’s senior Donghae Lee. I heard he got the highest grades in the O.W.L.S of his batch.”

“He helped me out a lot last time. He is really nice for a Slytherin.”

“Well...he was elected as the Prefect for a reason. A handsome face only can’t give you the Prefect badge.”

 

The next boy younger than previous was someone who could only exist in those illogical romance novels written for the teen witches. He had a shorter build than previous had, mop of brushed down silver hair, high cheekbones, unusual emerald green eyes dressed in Hogwarts uniform adorning the same green and silver tie and when he looked back to search for his brother, the people had a splendid display of his sharp jaw-line ending in a pale graceful neck.

“That’s Lee Taeyong….”

“Merlin! Look at that face, is he even a human?”

“I heard he was the most asked out person in the Yule ball of 2005 and he was a first year then…”

“With that face its’ no wonder.”

Taeyong didn’t react to any of the comments. His gaze was zeroed on the guy who was trudging behind him, his brother, and a first year apparently from the way he is dressed in casual clothes.

“Is that his brother? You can just tell from a glance. Its same aura.”

“His brother is handsome too. It’s in the genes.”

“Sorry but not my type though.”

“It doesn’t matter, even if all three of them are handsome….but way too arrogant. They have their noses in the sky, nothing surprising though typical Slytherins.”

“Have you seen their mom? She is too formidable.”

“Their mom?”

“Yeah, Lee Chaerin, the woman with a Wizengamot badge. I heard she is the youngest of the fifty parliament members.”

While everyone was busy conversing about the rumors regarding the infamous Lee family, Jaemin was more focused on the first year boy in casual clothes who was walking with his brother with a worried look on his face, the third son of the Lee’s.

A narrow face, pale blonde hair with even paler skin, pink tinted lips pressed in a line, sharp bone structure of the face with long sharp nose. His bangs hung over his forehead and eyes messily hiding them from view. He was decked in a black button down and black jeans.

He had his face looking down on the floor the whole time. They stood in a line in front of the entrance door of the train and bowed a 90 degree to their mother in sync and boarded the carriage. Lee Chaerin had a stony cold expression throughout the whole time.

“They are like trained animals.”

Jaemin who was watching the whole fiasco was startled at the familiar voice. He turned around to see his father behind him also watching it carefully.

“You are late. You almost missed sending me away.”

The accusing tone of the speech was evident. Jaemin was waiting for his father for the last twenty minutes almost.

Jaemin’s father looked exactly like him with a bit of more sharpness and masculinity in his matured face while Jaemin still got the sharp jaw line but sharpness is his features was not there leaning more towards his mother’s soft features.

Mr. Na had the same lazy disposition as Jaemin and tends to talk and work slowly. They share the same lazy charismatic smile and sense of humor. That’s why Jaemin thinks they have good bonding almost like a friendship.

“Sorry son. Got held up at the office.” His father gently patted his head. “There’s no way I can miss sending you off on your first year at Hogwarts.” he then turned to his wife and gave her a kiss on the cheek wrapping his free hand around her slim waist.

Jaemin just smiled.

 

 

He was excited. He looked at Donghyuck and finally boards the train after a lot of hugs, kisses and assurance from his family.

 

As soon as the Lees’ stepped in the rest of the student body yet to board the train also poured in. Jaemin and Donghyuck were able to secure an empty cabin for them. There was only one occupant sitting, the boy was dressed in casual jeans and tee shirt deeply engrossed in a book and had the looked of same ethnicity. Donghyuck plopped down on the seat opposite to him and pulled Jaemin long with him.

The train leaves the station at sharp 11am. They’ll reach Hogwarts at 7 pm in the evening so they have lots of time to make new friends.

Before Jaemin can ask Donghyuck beats him to it.

“So where are you from?”

The boy sitting opposite to them was startled. He looked left and right as if he was not the only person sitting opposite to them.

“Hey! I am talking to you.”

The boy finally realized that they were trying to talk to him.

“I am from Beijing.”

“OOOOOoohhhhh…..China!! Nice!!”

“So why Hogwarts? Why not Mahoutokoro School of Magic? Isn’t that closer?”

Then they started talking about different schools. Donghyuck seemed to have found a good conversational partner.

Jaemin on the other hand zoned out halfway of the conversation. He stared at the vast expanse of fields outside. Coffee, his owl screeched in her cage. He tickled its beak affectionately. Coffee as her name suggests is a coffee colored owl, plumes soft alternating between light brown, deep brown and white with a pair of pretty golden eyes. It’s a pearl spotted owl, his father has brought from Africa when he went there to work. She was just a puffy owlet when she first arrived. Jaemin loves her to bits. He thinks about the blonde boy he saw at the station.

He’s going to his batch-mate. Does he also have a pet? There was no cage in his hand. Don’t tell me it’s a toad.

No-offense but Jaemin really likes toads. He would have a toad pet had he not received Coffee from his father. But when he tries to imagine the boy before a with toad pet it doesn’t fit. Then he realizes he doesn’t even know the boy’s name.

I wonder what his name is. Something in Korean maybe like all his brothers.

Coffee screeches again. Jaemin just her plumes and coos at her.

“What variety is your owl?”

Jaemin looks back at the boy. His innocent inquisitive eyes boring at him.

“It’s a pearl spotted owl.”

Jaemin smiles his lazy charismatic smile. And just as he predicted the boy visibly flushes turning red.

He’s cute.

“Hi! I am Jaemin Na, First year. ”

He gives him another one of his smile. The boy blushes even more if it was possible. He averts his eyes away shifting between Jaemin and the door of the cabin.

“Don’t get nervous. It’s a natural reaction. You are not crushing on him. He is Half Veela. You’ll get used to it.”

Donghyuck glares at him as if to say ‘keep your Glamour in check.’

Jaemin just shrugs his shoulders. Whatever.

The boy seemed to be a bit relieved hearing this (What? Jaemin’s disappointed, he is sure he not that bad, he is definitely crush worthy).

“I am Huang Renjun. Nice to meet you.”

“I am Donghyuck Hay. Jaemin and I are childhood best friends.”

“Wow! Must have been nice.”

“Nope…it was hell.” Jaemin quipped.

Donghyuck threw a glare to Jaemin.

“I am the only friend you have you piece of .”

“You were a bad choice the only difference is the rest were worst so you made it to the selection. Beside I have Renjun now…isn’t it?” Jaemin threw another smile to the boy sitting opposite to them. It was again followed by another episode of blushing.

Donghyuck made a dramatically offended face.

“This is how you repay me for chasing those snot faced bastards and those girls with pigtails who used to follow you around. I am beyond offended. You know how I fought and tooth and nail for your safety and peace and this is the price of that friendship. Huh?”

Jaemin just rolled his eyes. Donghyuck and his flair for dramatics.

“That was elementary school Donghyuck. I was homeschooled later.”

Jaemin had always been popular due to his looks. While it is nature of Veelas to be enchanting and can easily seduce men specifically but for Jaemin who was born a boy he unfortunately attracted both the genders.

(“Males are visual creatures.” His mom said “It’s okay you’ll get used to it. It’s Muggles who are more affected than wizards. Once you learn to control your Glamour the situation would be better.”)

Starting from students to teachers even the parents were taken in with elementary grade Jaemin. But the negativity that comes from it is that some became obsessed and he was easy target for es, fortunately nothing serious happened except for some elementary kids following him around or one or two incidents of bullying to get his attention. Jaemin got tired of dealing with other kids and opted for getting homeschooled.

“Excuse me! I don’t think you remember that incident with that fat kid who wanted to marry you and tried to beat me up because I was close to you….” Donghyuck started narrating the story to Renjun who listened to it amused.

Jaemin zoned out again. He is a bit of a self acknowledged lazy airhead type of person. He gets bored often and drifts off to his own world mid conversation.

 

“By the way did you see the Lee family?”

That brings his interest back. He looks at Donghyuck who had posed the question.

Renjun shook his head signifying he didn’t know anything. Donghyuck didn’t bother asking Jaemin, both know if anybody knows anything about them it definitely won’t be Jaemin.

“Why? Do you know them?” Renjun is ever curious. Jaemin looks equally intrigued.

“Nope. But I heard about them.” Donghyuck whispered.

King of gossipers Donghyuck is back with his tea set.

Nothing gets past his ears. He has a hobby of actively collecting rumors.

In his neighborhood Jaemin was the person who knew about everybody’s secret without even trying just because he was friends with Donghyuck who can’t help spilling his collected tea to Jaemin. So Jaemin never bothered with rumors he will get to hear them eventually anyway.

Usually Jaemin doesn’t bother with rumors dragged in by Donghyuck but this time he couldn’t help but be genuinely interested.

Donghyuck relishes the attention on him for a minute before flicking his hands in a gesture asking them to come closer as if telling a secret. Jaemin and Renjun inched closer and were abruptly pulled in with their head almost touching as Donghyuck put an arm around each of them, holding them close.

“ What I am about to tell you is directly from the Ministry of Magic,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter