Surprise!

The Untold Behind the Scenes

Would you rather this shade or… this shade?”

I was in my room, preparing for the EXID concert we’ll be going to later on. Me and Hani were video-chatting, her comparing between two different tints of lipstick while I ask which top should I be wearing.

What’s the occasion?” I ask her, rummaging through my closet. “The darker one looks better on you.”

“Thanks!” She wipes her lips with a tissue and applies the chosen one, “Remember when Jjeong sprained her ankle? Today’s that concert.”

“Oh ?” I utter while halfway through a mustard-colored floral sundress that ends mid-thigh which Hani chose for me, “I’m also going to a concert…”

Really??” A hair stylist was sifting through her hair, “Is it ours? No, wait give me a hint!”

“It’s for a friend’s birthday.” I sprayed cologne onto my collar and the back of my neck, “It has an ‘X’ in its name.”

There’s lots of famous Vgroups with an ‘X’, Avery! MonstaX, TXT, Vixx, TVXQ, F(x)…”

“Okay, okay. Hmm… They also have an ‘E’. I just gave you an obvious clue.”

Two groups come to mind, last clue please.” I wasn’t able to hear that sentence since a sudden loud and continuous knock was banging on my door.

Avery, c’mon! We might be late! I want to be in front of the line when they enter the premise!!”

Jihun’s ing annoying voice. Hajun’s driving all of us in his SUV.

“Oh ! I’m sorry. I have cut our call. My friends are already waiting for me.”

I immediately locked my phone afterwards, rushing towards the door.

Shut up, freak! I’m coming.”

 


 

Jihun wasn’t kidding when he said the queue would be long. Almost everyone had their cameras out, and people were bustling. You could feel the buzzing excitement in the air. I didn’t know much about this group but even I couldn’t contain my anticipation. Gosh, when will this start?

“When will this start?” Hajun asks, scanning the ticket Hana handed us in the car before we parked in case we got separated and couldn’t get in since the cell reception was weak with the handful of fans expecting to watch them.

Patience is virtue,” Misuk unexpectantly takes a shot of me and Hajun with her polaroid, while Jihun was silent. He was undoubtedly a bundle of nerves, clutching his abdomen and alternatingly clenching and unclenching his jaws.

I thought cameras weren’t allowed?”

Well, some fans break the rule.”

Hmm… I guess it’s also good for both parties. Those who weren’t able to attend the concert has their fan-girl/boy needs fed and they’re continually fueled to show their support to their idols.

THEY’RE HERE!!”

Someone screams when a black mini-van arrives in front of the concert hall. People dashed into the line, some even cutting in. Flashes of light started flickering with the shutter sounds of their cameras. Five figures stepped off the van, but I couldn’t get a good look at them with several fans literally shoving at my back. Hajun must have noticed my state of dismay since I felt steady hands holding my waist, inserting himself between me and the ruthless fans.

Okay, everyone please calm yourself!! Before the concert starts, all of you will have your turn for a personal meet-and-greet with these beautiful young ladies. So properly line-up, please.” The MC speaks through the microphone.

Stop cutting the line!!” Someone screams.

I am not. I was already here before you!!”

I hear a shriek and two men were pouncing each other on the ground. A punch was thrown, and another one reciprocated. One got his shirt pulled and slightly torn. Security dashes to separate them and they were escorted out of the premise. Fortunately, none of them were seriously injured but the larger one will definitely wake up with a bruised eye.

At that moment of fighting, I see a familiar face standing from her seat in the front. A horrific look evident on her face, wide-eyed and mouth open.

Hani?

Her gaze slowly moves from the tiled floor and up. We make eye contact, and gapes even wider.

Ya!’ I mouth at her without voicing any sound.

She mouths the same thing back. Hani looks to her left where Jeonghwa is but she was 2 seats afar. She smiles at me through clenched teeth, a mixture of annoyance and glee.


 

It was finally our turn to walk towards the idols. A lot took longer than what was allowed thus our turns were rushed since they had a schedule for the concert.

We let Jihun go first since he’s the reason why we’re able to watch tonight. He starts at the leftmost, shaking their hands and having them signed the album if you have one with you. The previous fans had the chance to sit in front but the staffs later removed them since they took too much time.

I looked at my watch. Olivia isn’t here yet. She told me to meet her here. Then right on cue, I see her running towards the line, eyes glued on the phone after being inspected by the security. She was clad in her usual ripped jeans and a classic Hard Rock Café white tee that ended above her navel. A pair of brown rounded shades hanging folded by the collar. I raised my hand and waved, trying to catch her attention but to no avail.

Hey it’s Olivia,” I tell Hajun, pointing at Olivia’s figure by the end of the queue, “Let me just call her!”

I jogged out of the line and towards Olivia who sees me and greets me with a hug.

Hey, I miss you!”

“And you’re late.” I tsk-ed at her.

It’s difficult when you can’t understand or speak Hangul.” She pouts at me.

Well at least you’re dress to kill.” I fan my fingers to my face and fake a moan, pretending to be all hot and bothered.

I’m hoping to catch some fanboys or girls here that ends up thirsty when this concert ends.” Olivia winks at me, biting her lower lip.

Oh. Who’s that guy looking at you?” I follow the direction of her vision and sees Hajun waving and smiling at me from where I previously was at the line, “I’m still gauging if he’s in the hot or cute end of the spectrum.”

“That’s Hajun,” I tell her, feeling my face hot. “He’s a cardiologist at work.”

Well I think I’ve found the bait my fish is itching to bite.”

“Ew, disgusting. This isn’t the right place to tell me that.” I giggle, slapping her arm, “Come on, I’ll introduce you to them.”

I prop my arm to her shoulders and sauntered towards Hajun and the others when security stops me.

Back of the line.”

Oh, my friends are there, and I just left to---”

“No buts, back of the line or we’re escorting you out.”

Rude. I grimaced. I didn’t predict that. Well at least, the seats for the concerts are by reservations.

“What did the guy say??” Olivia asks, bewildered, “Did he swear at us? Cause it felt like there was a ‘ssshhhit.’”

What? No!” I cackled, “You definitely need to read on some language books.”

I feel my phone vibrating within my pockets. I take it out and read the message notification.

Don’t worry. I’ll save you and your friend seats.”

I looked at the front of the line and saw Hajun smiling at me dorkily, tiptoeing unsteadily since Misuk and the others were pulling him by his jacket into the concert hall. He winks at me before disappearing into the darkness.

 


 

It was the same as the others when I got in front, except Jeonghwa looked at me with the same shocked expression as Hani’s a while ago and Hani inconspicuously hands me a small yellow stub through the handshaking typically done between idols and fans. They didn’t say anything outside of the norm of thanking the fans for watching and the such that would otherwise indicate they know me.

Wise thinking, I thought. It would stir attention if they, especially Hani, reveals that we’re past acquaintances. I have to maintain my public identity as a complete stranger to them.

 

Gosh, even if I didn’t understand a thing they said except the ‘Annhyeonghaseyo’ (hello) and ‘gamsahamnida’ (thank you) parts and merely smiled and bowed at them, I’d do it again.” Olivia gushes, firing her words a second too fast for me to understand everything that was coming out of . “Did you see Hyerin? Her features are so doll-like, I’m thanking God for blessing my eyes. And Jeonghwa, my gosh I’m never washing these hands ever again. LE can rock my world anytime she…..”

I drowned out her voice, reading the seat number from Hajun’s text message. Wait until I tell her Jeonghwa sat on my car seat, bought her food, and even half-carried her to their dormitory; or how Hani gave me her number and we’ve been chatting for the past months.

We finally reach our seats and I see two vacancies between Hajun who and Daesong. Of course and obviously, Olivia brazenly takes the seat farther to Daesong. Hajun gives me a pout and I just shrug in return.

I actually have something to tell you…” I trail on, attempting to catch Olivia’s attention.

Ssshhh!” Jihun harshly whisper-yells from the other end of the seats.

Have some respect, it’s about to start!” Misuk adds, eyes glued to the stage in front.

The lights suddenly went dark and the wide screen started flickering. There were a couple of ‘oohh,’ ‘aahh,’and ‘sshhh!’ muttered.

Someone even screamed, “turn off that light stick!”

Then the count-down started. Fans cheered-on, including me.

 

“5…. “

 

“4….”

 

“3….”

 

“2….”

 

And everything went black.