Snapshot!

The Untold Behind the Scenes

 

*Conversations in English*


 

 

 

I’m exhausted.”

I tell no one in particular, plopping down on the soft cushions of my bed. My eyes felt heavy when—

BRRT!! BRRT!!

I swiped across the green toggle on my phone to answer Olivia’s call. It’s been our nightly routine as promised, and international calls are one hell expensive.

Hey, what’s up—If this is you calling me while you’re having again, yo----"

“Chill. I’m flying there in about two months and crashing at your place.”

“Wh—"

I’m email-ing you my plane tickets. You’re watching an EXID concert with me.”

Oh. So that’s where I’ve heard of them before. I’ve casually listened to K-pop music, especially the time when I was trying to learn their language, but not to the extent of individually knowing which group sang this particular charting song and the members comprising it. Unlike Olivia and except to MAMAMOO, I haven’t quite indulged in any ‘fan-girl’ phase, though I’ve always been in awe of their dedication and the emotional attachment they’ve poured in stanning the idol of their preference. I’m well aware the industry is big though, with its hefty contribution to South Korea’s economy and tourism.

I’m actually going with some of my coworkers since it’s a present for one of the guys, but I’m sure they’re open with you joining us.”

“I’m impressed. Seoul Avery is becoming more social than I thought.”

“You’re about to become friendless.”

.”

And that’s a good evening to you too .”

It’s actually morning here so I’m taking away 10 points from Gryffindor.”

“Yea, Yea. I miss you.”

“I miss you too, so your bed better be spacious enough for the both of us or you’re taking the couch!”

“So, how was work today? Any progress with the Hudson case?”

“Glad you asked. God, this case is becoming too infuriati…”

 

Moments after, we ended the call, and I suddenly felt a pang of loneliness. The silence in the room was deafening and bothering, making me hyper-aware of my alone-ness status. I miss being able to just call someone over to spend the night with me. I could call Misuk and the gang but we weren’t yet at that stage of intense familiarity. Sighing and laughing at my pettily cumbersome plight, I stood up lazily and decided to clean my room just to do something and crowd my thoughts when I found a tiny crumpled wad of torn leaflet by my nightstand. It looked like those small paper-balls that you spit through a straw as kids only to be later scolded by your grade school teacher. I must have placed it there and forgotten about it when I did my first laundry the next day of the flight. I opened and attempted to smoothen it out.

“019-xxx-xxxx”

Ah. Blanket-lady, I remembered. I opened the KakaoTalk application and added the number. I began typing aimlessly.

Hi.

Sorry it took so long, I’ve been busy. I’m the one who saved your from forgetting your sleeping friend you almost left.

- Flight CX2331.”

Sent.

I don’t really expect any response back to be honest. She could’ve forgotten who I am and I don’t blame her, or the contact info could be false too. Who knows? I’m just a stranger, after all. I drop the wad of paper into the waste bin and sauntered towards the bathroom.

What a day.

 

 


 

 

 

I was already asleep when a series of notifications buzzed my phone. I’m not exactly a light sleeper, but I’ve been training myself to be roused by even the smallest stimuli, such as a call or a text. I mean, emergencies are called as such because they’re unpredictable and often occur at moments you least want them present. Moreover, I wouldn’t want to get sacked off my job just because one night when the hospital desperately lacked staff, I was refilling my sleep debt.

My hand clumsily foraged through my nightstand, searching for the vibrating phone amidst the darkness without removing the One-Piece Chopper night mask I had on.

Ugh.

Okay, nevermind. I removed it, letting my eyes suffer from the illuminating floodlight generated by my phone. I squinted my eyes, trying to decipher what’s written without my contact lens on.

 

 

From: Ahn Hee Yeon

Gosh and I thought you sold my number.”

 

 

Sold?? Why will I...?

Okay, I’ll play along then. She has her reasons.

 

“If I do, I’m sharing half of my profits to you. At least, you’ve found yourself a fair business partner.”

My phone buzzed again.

So, first the plane delay. Then I got reprimanded by my unnie when we got home. Now, my security? You’re a series of misfortune to me, Dr. Avery.”

“You’ve got no one to blame but your clumsiness for almost leaving your sleeping friend.”

I typed in another message.

But I might have a remedy just for that. “

I see the 3 dots bubble pop up, indicating she’s writing something.

“With your lack of emojis, I’m not sure if you’re prescribing me medication or trying to flirt with me.”

“Well then, that’s your problem to decide which side I’m rooting for.”

“Ha. Ha.”

We were chatting for about an hour or less when my body betrayed me for a yawn.

Hey. I’ve got to sleep. It was definitely nice hearing back from you!”

“Likewise, stranger.”

 

With that, I set my alarm and locked my phone. The darkness inviting me again by its embrace.

 

 


 

 

*Dialogues in Hangul*

 

 

I was trudging my feet along the spotless hospital linoleum tiles, my blue scrubs wrinkled and unironed. The tangy metallic smell of saturated alcohol and brazen shining light overhead wasn’t soothing my migraine at all. I’ve been up all night for the past few weeks chatting with Ahn Hee Yeon, or Hani as she told me the other night to call her to ease the formality. It’s kind of comforting being able to casually banter with someone I only know by their name and face, as if I got nothing to be wary of suddenly disclosing. I was deep in my own thoughts, an unknowing small smile plastered on my face.

I bet Hajun did something,” Misuk teases, showing me her trademark crescent eye-smile.

God, what’s up with you??” Jihun suddenly appears to my right, his arm propping over my shoulders. His free hand gesturing to his crumpled face.

I barely got any sleep last night again.” I roll my eyes, stifling a yawn. No point in telling them the truth when they’ll just switch sides and root for shipping me with whoever it is I’ve been sacrificing my sleep to. Though I have no clue if they’ll do once they find out it’s not a guy I’m chatting with. To clarify, what’s happening between me and Hani is strictly platonic.

You know what you need?” Misuk hops in front of me, blocking my path. She sipped on the short transparent straw of the orange-soda juice pack you can buy from the vending machine by the staffroom.

You know sleeping pills are the last option, Misuk.” Jihun sneers at her, pinching the center of his brows with his free hand, “It’s a band-aid solution.”

“Shut up, I know that,” Misuk flings her hand, shooing Jihun, “I mean your body reeks of blue-balls. Are you THAT ually-deprived?”

Jihun drops his propped arm and they both exploded into a boisterous laughter. Some of the by-stander nurses even gave us a sour look. One lifted her index to , gesturing us to stay quiet since the nursery ward was just nearby. During our free hours, we often drop-by to look through the windows of blanket-wrapped newborns cradled in their pastel-colored cribs. We weren’t allowed to enter the room though since it wasn’t the scope of our expertise, but anyone can window-shop.

Ssshh..” I shush them.

They tried suppressing their giggles but to no avail.

 

 


 

 

“Can you cover for me? I just need a quick toilet break.”

Hana points towards a room with its door slightly ajar. I was reading through the whiteboard where we usually have our schedules written and changed daily. I let out a large exhale, crossing-out with a blue marker a two-hour operation I just completed.

‘Tumor Removal: Colon, Room 928; 17:30.’

It’s just simple bandaging and splint work. Can you do it?” Hana pleads with her eyes, “My bladder’s about to leak.”

Sure. No worries, pee all your fluids out.” She hands me the clipboard containing the patient’s file, and rushes to the direction where the bathrooms are.

 

 

 


 

 

 

My knuckles rapped on the door. Before turning the knob, I introduced myself to the hollow monolithic frame.

Hello, I’m Dr. Avery Chu. Can I enter?”

“Yes.”

Dr. Seung just had some errands to run so I’ll be attending to you instead.”

I couldn’t see the patient since the curtain was drawn, obscuring my view from the bed, but I’m assuming she’s a female since her voice was dainty, oddly familiar even.

I draw the curtains to the sides.

Ah! Hani’s friend?”

It was Jjeong, seated on the thin hospital bed and unsurprisingly, still clad with a sanitary mask.

Fancy meeting you here,” I lightly chuckle, “what brings you here?”

I smoothly swiveled an office chair towards me and proceeded to sit facing her with the clipboard on my lap. I began taking out the thermometer and stethoscopes from my coat pocket.

Uh, you okay?” I asked. She was just staring at me with the same wide eyes as my first encounter with the Korean stranger when I stepped off the airport. Suddenly feeling self-conscious and probed,

“Uh, is there anything on my face?”

She blinks a few times and shakes her head.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to stare.”

“no, it’s fi—”

“You know Hani?” She scrutinizes. Her eyes now squinting sharply as opposed to its previous larger oval shape.

We’ve been chatting some nights after she gave me her number in the plane.”

“Mm.”

“So, what happened?” I question, flipping through the clipboard even if it only had a single page since I didn’t really know how to break the silence. Why is there even tension between us??

“Oh, ah I tripped while we were practicing. My ankle has been hurting since then.”

She lifts her leg onto the bed, allowing me to examine them. I felt her muscle tense as my finger touched her skin. I gently grabbed her ankle and notes the blue-green blemish coloring her bruise.

It’s quite swollen but the X-ray doesn’t indicate any fracture. It’s a minor sprain. I highly recommend rest and ice compression. Is there anyone that’s going to come get you?”

“Aissh. But I got to train, doc. Is there any pain pills you can prescribe me?”

“Train?”

“Er… dancing. We’re preparing for a concert next week.”

“Oh. I had no idea you’re an idol,” I said, while jotting-down my summary report to her file, “Your name?”

I hand her the clipboard so she could fill in her details. She looked at me strangely before taking it. I then waited for her to finish completing her form. I noticed that she was quite scrawny for her height. Her patella was exceedingly bulging out from her knees than what’s considered normal and despite the oversized jacket she wore, the bony angles of her neck were very prominent. I didn’t mean to stare too hard at the dark protruding veins trailing to the back of her jaws but as a health professional, I’m deeply concerned of her health status.

“So Jeonghwa, you didn’t answer my question.” I tell her, reading her written name as she hands me the clipboard back.

What question?”

Is there anyone going to fetch you? Maybe Hani? Your foot has to rest and you can’t just aimlessly walk to wherever it is you’re going, especially when it’s already dark out.” I showed her the time on my watch.

I can hail a cab.”

It was already 8 pm. Damn how fast the day went.

I didn’t know where the sudden urge to ‘protect’ her, is that’s what it is, suddenly emerged. I’m well aware of the unconventional situation for a doctor to provide security or services after office hours, since outside our clothes, we’re just complete strangers. But to hell with conventions. I’m blaming the recent surge of Telegram ‘nth room’ ual abuse cases currently proliferating the media [A]. Moreover, in a recent article Misuk forced me to read, a staggering 86% of victims of ual violence in South Korea are women [B], and being in a state of intoxication by alcohol is still a legal basis for having a more lenient charge with [C].

“My shift’s about to be over. I’ll drive you.”

I left the room without waiting for a response.

 

 


 

 

 

We were at the locker room, discarding our scrub uniforms when Daesong pops the question.

We’re going bar-hopping, wanna join?”

Can’t. Sorry.” I folded my white coat and hanged it on my shelves, between my book references, “I promised Olivia to call her.” Well, I wasn’t technically lying, but I couldn’t bring myself to tell them about Jeonghwa, no reasons why. Let’s settle with labelling it as ‘a small fib.’

By the way, can she join us with the EXID concert. She has her own ticket.”

They know her through the stories I’ve told them when they ask me for stories about my country.

“Sure. She’s a fan too? Like Jihun?”

Yep, Jihun might have found his twin.”

I shut my locker door close. We said our goodbyes and I left the staff room. After sliding my ID card onto the tiny register attached to the wall to officially sign-off from my shift, I tried looking for her by the waiting room seats at the visitors’ area but couldn’t, so I approached the head nurse behind the counter.

Ah, Gyungmi-seonsaengnim,” I politely greet her, using the formalities Hana taught me since arriving here. Wisps of silver strands highlight her graying hair composed in a neat and tight bun. She was busy arranging some of the patients’ files, probably fixing the schedule for tomorrow’s operations. Despite her short stature that made you have to look under the nurse’s station to see that there’s actually someone manning the counter, she could be quite scary especially with the long years she has spent in these hospital walls.

Seeing that I’m not a patient, she merely swats me off with her hand, shooing me away.

I took my phone out and texted Hani.

To: Ahn Hee Yeon

I’m driving your friend Jeonghwa home. Send me the address.”

After hitting send, I saw the familiar oversized hoodie, her side-profile illuminated by the faint light of the vending machine. I approached her. Her delicate face all crunched up to her nose.

“You okay? You’re not supposed to be walking unsupported.”

“This crap ate my 700 won.”

I had an inkling it took everything in her not to kick the vending machine when her other foot was already sprained. At that moment, I heard her stomach grumble.

You haven’t eaten, have you?”

She simply shook her head, readjusting her facial mask. She takes out a hat from her backpack and puts it on. I help her to one of the chairs.

Wait here. I’ll get my car.”

Yes, I have a car. Another yes, I had Olivia pick it out for me. It’s a humble black pearl Acura MDX 2020 payed by the first few months of my salary. With Daesong’s connections, I also had a hefty discount. It pays to know the right people, hehe.

I rode the lift to the parking lot and drove it to the front of the hospital’s entrance. I turned the motor off and assisted her wobbling gait. I open the door for her, with half of her weight on my shoulders. While revving the engine on, I receive a text from Hani. It’s the address.

When I look to my side to check if she’s at ease in her seat, she was already fast asleep, seatbelt wrapping her slim frame. I guess she’s tired. I blast my air conditioning unit to combat the scorching heat Seoul is known for and proceeded to drive, following the navigation system.

 

 


 

 

 

We were near her place according to the arrow in the navigation system when I felt her body stir up.

H-how do you know our dorm?”

Her voice was weak, hoarse. Apparently, that’s what happens when you just awoken after dozing off. I took a glance at her. She was stretching her long limbs, flexing her neck to the sides, eyes groggy and fatigue written all over her face.

Hani texted me the address. Is that okay?”

She doesn’t reply. I couldn’t see her reaction. Her back was to me, gazing by the windows.

There’s some fried chicken and ramen at the back. I didn’t know what you wanted to eat so I just randomly chose anything.”

“You didn’t have to… but, thank you.”

I hear the ruffling of plastic at the back. The salivating aroma of stir-fried grease fills the car.

I know these are the ‘forbidden’ type of food for idols, but...”

I lightly stepped on the break pedal. There wasn’t the usual heavy traffic, fortunately. The glowing red-light radiates through the stop signal. I look at her again and she was already ravenously wolfing down the meal. She probably realized I was staring when she looked back, a mouthful of Kalguksu noodles held by her wooden chopsticks between the styrofoam bowl and her puckered lips. I chuckled. Her cheeks were in and her hazel orbs were back to its oval shapes. It was a good idea ordering from a drive-thru considering she’s an idol and being crowded by the public isn’t what she probably needs right now.

“Mind telling me which house or building should I park by?”

“Mmhssft, *slurp* ovrshssf.”

I see a tall model-like figure leaning besides an establishment with Banana Culture Ent. written in bold and yellow on its highest floor. She was clad in a similar oversized sweater like Jeonghwa, with the same sanitary mask and hat tipped too low. I think it’s safe to assume that’s Hani. To be sure, I called her in KakaoTalk.

(* conversation with Hani in English)

Dialing: Ahn Hee Yeon 

“Is that you wearing a green jacket too oversized for you that I can’t decide if you look like a disproportionately tall kid who’s trying but failing to grow out of her prepubescence?”

She answered my call alright, but I didn’t any response back. Though now I’m sure that’s Hani.

Did I er… go too far? I’m sorry.”

“Ya, no. I… I just couldn’t think of a comeback you .”

I snickered, ended the call, and pressed my car’s horn. She sees my car but due to the tinted windows, she reluctantly approached us. Hearing a faint knock on the window and Hani’s voice,

Avery, where’s Jeonghwa?”

“Excuse me? I think you might have mistaken my car for others.”

Speaking in Hangul, I only let a small part of the window down and the insides of the car was dark so it was near impossible to see us inside. Jeonghwa was surprisingly going along with this unplanned skit.

 “Oh sorry, I tho—Ya!”

I pressed the button, allowing the entire tinted window to slide down. Seated within, me and Jeonghwa were howling, faces all scrunched up.

Aissh! You never told me you speak Hangul! I was face-deep using google translate in our conversations!”

I responded with an over-the-top cheesy wink and offered a peace sign with my 2 fingers.

“Jeonghwa got her ankle sprained so you got to carry her.”

Hani peeks into the widely open car window and sees Jeonghwa mimicking my previous gesture. Cheesy wink and peace sign. I stepped off my car and helped Hani carry the wobbly Jeonghwa. She’s light for her height, I noted, reminding myself of her concerning health status. The industry is too harsh to these idols. The security opens the glass doors for us, and the concierge presses the button for the lift. When the elevator finally comes, I deposited Jeonghwa to Hani.

Well, I better go now.”

Thank you. Really appreciate it, Avery.”

Hani smiles, waving goodbye. Jeonghwa nods at me, pressed into a thin line.  

‘It’s not my place to enter their residence,’ I thought to myself. I exit the building and drive away.

I’m still just a stranger.

Unknowingly, at the street across us, a journalist snaps his shot.

 

 


 

 

Author's note:

Kinda i don't know, small (??) my reason for the Hangul/ English dialogues. But the future chapters would all be in Hangul dialogues unless otherwise stated and if with Olivia. Because again, Olivia only speaks and understand English. 

Just to clarify, this fiction does NOT intend to paint South Korea in a bad picture. I merely wanted to write a slightly more realistic AU, and it is up to you if you wish to acknowledge the credibility of the mentioned statistics. Please note the year when the articles were published since the numbers may be different now. Moreover, I am NOT a licensed anything (still a student), so don't take my words too seriously. If you feel the need to search, every country has its own issues they have to deal with. South Korea is one of the Asian countries that have the lowest crime rates. 

[A] Nguyen, E. (2020). South Korea Online ual Abuse Case Illustrates Gaps in Government Response. Human Rights Watch. Retrieved from https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/03/26/south-korea-online-ual-abuse-case-illustrates-gaps-government-response

[B] Division of International Studies. (n.d.). ual Harassment in South Korea. Hanyang University. Retrieved from http://dis.hanyang.ac.kr/lyceum-vol-1/ual-harassment-in-south-korea/

[C] Nam, E. & Melody. (2019). In South Korea, Being Drunk Is a Legal Defense for . Kennedy School Review. Retrieved from https://ksr.hkspublications.org/2019/07/16/in-south-korea-being-drunk-is-a-legal-defense-for/