Americano

The Untold Behind the Scenes

 

After having all my luggage checked-out of the airport and unloaded from the push-trolley, I climbed down the escalator to reach the shuttle train as instructed by an amicable receptionist behind the counter.

 

9000 won? I'm not sure if that's expensive or cheap. Guess it'll take a while to get used to the huge denominations in their money..

 

"Uh, excuse me, sir?" I lightly tap a stranger by the arm, "How can I get to Seoul?"

He turns and looks at me with wide eyes, rubbing both his gloved-hands. Their winter's the coldest in January. After attempting to clear his voice, "Uh, y-you.. first.... buy t..ticket?" He gestures, finger-drawing a rectangular shape mid-air.

"Oh, sorry" switching to Hangul, "Yes, I've already bought one," showing him an Express pass. It was a simple card with rounded edges at all four corners with yellow-orange hue on its top and bottom, and just simply and entirely white at the middle.

He exhales in what I deem as probably relief. "Then you ride this train until the last station, which is Seoul Station." Every word he speaks materializes into wisps of misty clouds. His cheeks, despite being partially wrapped by his cream hand-knitted scarf, had on a reddish tint spreading to his nose bridge. "Understand?"

"Yes! Thank you so much!" I replied with excessive enthusiasm that it made the man slightly chuckle.

 

I can't believe I'm already in South Korea when yesterday, I was just cocooned-drunk in bed on the other side of the world.

 

"First time here?"

"Yup!"

"Tourist or student?"

"Work."

 

And the doors slowly began to slide open.

 

 


 

 

The train was what you would expect in a typical... er... subway. Although there wasn't any advertisement plastered all over the white walls, an on-screen promotional ad of a facial wash played in the TV in front. The engine initially shook vigorously about a few minutes after the intercom system announced the doors would finally be closing. Then, the ride gradually settled into a gentle hum. I chose a random vacant seat and looked through the frosted window at my right. Pardon me if I'm not yet over my astonishment over this foreign land, but the cityscape at nighttime was utterly majestic. Viewing them from the bird's point of view, words failed to come out of my mouth. From the tall skyscrapers whose tips dipped into the night skies to the bokeh of lights that seemed to wink back at me, I wouldn't be offended if someone teased me for blending right in with the other toddlers that were staring in awe at the huge expanse of South Korea. 

When I got off the last station, I input my new address information and hailed an Uber. Not long after, an elderly driver came and swiftly loaded my stuff onto the trunk of his car, no questions asked. With the inviting peaceful silence, exhaustion enticed me to a nap. 

 

 


 

 

"Thank you so much!"

I told the concierge who helped me drop-off my burdensome heavy and tattered luggage into my new apartment. When I was finally left alone, I decided to lock the door and explore the uncharted terrain. It isn't spacious at all, mind you. In fact, there were only 3 rooms, namely a cubicle small enough to be considered as an adequate bathroom, a 3x5 bedroom, and the kitchen-living room I'm currently at. At least, most of the furnitures I require are already provided. It felt kind of bizarre itching to contact Olivia when, despite her riches, she couldn't possibly immediately teleport here, especially when she's stuck suffering in another political regime. Probably even drowning at her work. 

 

Man, I'm reading too much fiction lately. Where the hell is the Apparition in Harry Potter when I need them?

 

Speaking of Olivia, I have several calls and mails I got to attend to.

 


 

Pressing the 'send' option after devising the e-mail containing the message that I've finally arrived in my apartment to the team of doctors of I haven't met yet, I closed my laptop shut and lied down in bed as another wave of exhaustion engulfs me to sleep. 

 


 

"5 medium cups of Americano, please."

Yes. We're back with my daily grind for coffee.

Hearing the gentle whirring of espresso machines as they let out warm puff of steams as the barista clad in purple apron pulls down a lever, their hands methodically operates its mechanism. From evenly tamping (pressing) the grounded beans to warming the milk, clients are immediately served with cups of espresso shots in saucers. Soft chatters shared between conversing friends and spouses fill the room, while some, either students or office employees, mindlessly type on their open laptops. Simply being greeted by the dark brown hue of coffee beans contained within those huge transparent tubes of shelves is enough to lift my spirits.

"Here you go." The barista hands me my order.

With today being my first day in this new job, Olivia recommended me late last night to surprise my coworkers with a warm beverage. Apparently, Cognitive Embodiment in Psychology argues that metaphorical elements, such as temperature, plays a role in influencing our experiences with others. Offer them physical warmth and they may, though not necessarily always, trigger feelings of warmth and trust thus, securing a positive impression of you.

 

I exited the cafe and took out my phone. Following the GPS, Seoul National Hospital isn't that far from where I am.

 


 

"Ya, Avery," Jihun asks between a mouthful of munches of his sandwich, "What's your phone number?" 

Three months have swiftly come by and Seoul isn't as intimidating as I expected it to be. I suppose the unmentioned universal rule when visiting a foreign land holds certain truth, 'respect the culture and you'll survive.' We were all in Hajun's office, except for Hana and Daesong since our schedules that day wasn't as swamped as the previous weeks. It was a breather actually, and damn am I grateful for today. But maybe the transition was also easier since I immediately found a set of peers with perky personalities that I could get along with. 

A little bit of update, we're a team of seven doctors. The boys are Jihun, Yeongsu, Daesong, and Hajun, while the gals are me, Hana, and Misuk. They're all born and raised in South Korea, except Jihuk who stayed in the United States in his teenage years to complete his studies before eventually returning to his homeland. I'm the youngest in the clan, but I really appreciate the fact how they still treated me as fair game despite my age. 

"Wait 'till he asks Avery on a date," Misuk humors. While the others cheered, Jihun was silently steaming red. 

"You shut up," Jihun warns her, "Disgusting how you think I'll date her." He fake-belches, which if you ask me, was an incredibly revolting sight. 

"Yuck, Jihun. Close your mouth!" Yeongsu kicks him from his seat, "I could see the scrambled egg you're trying to chew!!"

"I only have eyes for Hani," Jihun dreamily adds.

"Stop being delusional," Misuk throws an empty water bottle at Jihun, "you even haven't seen her in person!"

"Ya! At least I have a reason behind why she doesn't know me yet. How's your progress with 'BTS Jin' when you're even one of the managers of his official fansites and been to all his meet-and-greet?"

"You take that back!"

"Pfft." Jihun sticks out his crumbs-laden tongue. 

 

I was lost in my thoughts, drowning their bickering when a sudden cold chill ran through my spine. 

"Hey! ," I utter to my surprise, "You almost gave me a heart attack!"

Behind me, Hajun held an iced cartoon of soy milk touching my left cheek. 

"Well glad, we're all doctors here," He snickers, "You still owe me an Americano though."

Quick recap, remember when I bought 5 cups of coffee my first day? Yea, I didn't get my share and so did Hajun. So... so much for first impressions..

 

Since I was the one sitting at his desk chair while he stood hovering over me, he turns my seat to face him. He was clad in the usual white coat with blue scrubs underneath, a sleek stethoscope draped around his neck. 

"Sorry?" We voice at the same time, obviously for different reasons. 

One of his hand suddenly held the part of my face which felt like burning because of the coldness, or was it amplified by his touch? 

"Wished it was different cheek though."

His gaze was soft yet seemed as if he was in a dilemma whether he should give in revealing something or continue concealing whatever it is. Our eyes were locked and none of us spoke until what he said registered in my brain with Misuk's sudden ear-piercing squeals. Don't get me wrong. I'm not into him. Sure, he's cute and falls within my type, but I never really felt any attraction towards him. Thinking about it now, I've never been into anyone, but that never stopped from engaging in flings. I mean let's be honest, we all have our needs. I can't explain why I just suddenly zoned out and my brain jump-shipped, going into autopilot mode. 

" you guys, go get a room! Stop tainting Jihun's  eyes!"

"Ya!"

 

Hajun simply chuckled, while I was completely silent.  of a brain, ing work! 

Hajun opened one of his shelves and placed a thick packet of files on his desk. "You scoundrels, finish your lunch and stop treating my office as your hang-out pit! We have a cafeteria for that."

"Yes boss!" Jihun and Yeongsu abruptly stands and salutes. 

As we're about to exit, Daesong suddenly emerges into the office, "me and Hana were up all night for these tickets." Hana's face pops out behind him beneath his arms, "What do you guys say?"

 

"Tickets for what?" Yeongsu is the first to break the silence. 

"It's actually a birthday surprise for Jihun..."

"But knowing him, he needs time to physically and mentally prepare himself.."

 

Jihun snatches the tickets off Hana's hand. "Oh ! This better not be a prank!" 

"What is it?? What is it??" Misuk tried plucking them off Jihun's hands which resorted to another session of bickering. 

 

"They're EXID tickets. It's one of the few things that can make Jihun mum. Guess I got to learn that trick to shut him up from time to time."

I tilted my head slightly upwards. Hajun's the tallest among us, I'm sure his height have caused numbers of women to take a double or triple turn, aside from his looks. We've already had several discussions of why he didn't choose the acting career. I mean, he has the looks and wits already, the acting skills can be harnessed through hardwork, right?

 

I mindlessly ponder to myself.

Where have I heard of them before?