Just a Stranger

The Untold Behind the Scenes

A few hours since the plane flew, I was roused by a breathy voice in the intercom system.

“Is there a medical doctor on board? I repeat. Is there a medical doctor on board?”

I fixed my posture and sat straight, arching my stiff neck to the sides. Damn do they hurt. Remind me to bring a travel pillow next time since these free plane throw pillows aren’t true to their promises.

Several flight attendants were bustling and attempting to mitigate the inquiries and panics evident in the passengers.

 

Should we be worried?”

“Is the food found to be contaminated?”

“I bet my money it’s a kid with nut allergies.”

“Is the plane crashing?”

“! Right now when I have a toilet emergency??”

 

I stood up and calmly walked along the narrow alley towards a staff. ”Hi, excuse me. I’m a licensed doctor. Is there an emergency?”

“Oh thank god!” She beckons me to follow her, “Please.”

She escorts me to the business-class section and uh-uh, don’t even get me started with the legroom here. Economy class is cramped as hell and please, we’re not even allowed liquor which is what most of us back there needs with all the ceaseless crying and screaming of toddlers. It’s a miracle I was even able to fall asleep.

We stopped and stood upon an unconscious man in his 40s lying on the carpeted plane floor.

What happened here?”  I asked, attempting to ease my racing heartbeat. I crouched down to check the man's condition. I need a rational mind in these types of situations. I just never expected that my first medical emergency abroad would be 30,000 feet in air.

He suddenly kept repeating that his entire left arm was numb and that his chest felt too constricted that he couldn’t breathe. I thought it was just his fear over turbulences since he’s scared of flying. Suddenly, he fell off his chair and I couldn’t wake him up.”

An elderly woman answers in Hangul. The staff that accompanied me was about to translate what she said since we were previously speaking in English when I interjected in the same language, “Does he suffer from any medical conditions?”

Diabetes.”

“Any metal implanted in his body? Pacemaker? ICD?”

“None. This is the first time he's experiencing this. What’s wrong with him??”

She bawls, feeling helpless about this unexpected predicament. I tap the man’s shoulder sharply but there wasn’t any response.

Ma’am, I’m a licensed doctor. My name is Avery Chu. May I ..?” I ask, gesturing to his husband. One thing I learned from my professors is to always ask for consent, regardless the situation.

Yes! Yes! Please!! Hurry!”

I brought my ears near the man’s mouth while facing towards his chest. My index and middle fingers palpating the location where his carotid pulse should be at his neck, except there weren't any.

.

I silently mutter. No pulse and no breathing.

Has the pilot been alerted?” I asked the staff who rapidly replied, “Yes. We’re preparing for an emergency landing soon. I’ve called the others to get the AED.”

“Okay, good.” I would be lying if I said I wasn’t in a state of panic internally, but those crazy years in medical school would be a waste if I don’t act now. I took a deep breathe. “Let’s work together. I’ll do the first set of chest compression and you’ll administer the rescue breathing. Afterwards, let’s switch.”

“Okay!”

----

Despite the narrow space allowed by the plane’s hallway, we tried our best in giving all our efforts with every compression and sweat dropping down our brows. After ripping his shirt and thoroughly shaving the man’s chest, we adhered the sticky pads onto the appropriate body placements.

Clear!” One staff hollers before pressing the button. The man’s heart rhythm was analyzed and an electric shock was delivered. The device told us that a faint pulse, but nonetheless a pulse, can at last be detected. When the man finally opens his eyes weakly, indicating his return to consciousness, we helped him stabilized his condition before lifting him back to his reclined seat. I inserted an IV fluid onto the back of his hand via a needle. It’s these moments when you appreciate the tears spilt during those sleepless rounds in the hospital as a trainee.

 


 

I’m Mrs. Choi and what you did to my husband was…. Thank you s….” The wife sobbed onto my shoulders, muffling her voice in the process.

It was nothing, ma’am. The flight attendees should be the ones you’re thanking since they were very responsive during the entire emergency.” I bowed at her, “Don’t hesitate to call me again if you need my help. Your husband will be okay!”

 

----

 

The plane temporarily landed and after 30 minutes or so, was back in the air again. A number of passengers expressed irritation over the delay, but most were quite understanding. Rumours were unavoidable though. I was randomly flipping through the magazine out of boredom when a cabin crew approached my seat.

Ms. Chu?”

“Yes?”

“The couple you helped a while ago, Mr. and Mrs. Choi. They wanted to express their gratitude by upgrading your flight experience to business class, if you’ll allow?”

“Oh .. Sorry, if I decline their offer?”

 

Damn.

 

“It’s okay,” he laughs, “They’ve already paid for it though...”

Well, one thing you should know about me is I’m an easily persuaded person when the words “comfort” and “free” go together, so call me utterly convinced.

He directs me to an empty seat in the business class and another surprise presents itself.

 

*(conversation in English)

HEY!”

Adjacent to my seat was the eccentric woman shrouded in her checkered blanket. Besides her sat ‘Jjong.’ They weren’t wearing their shades or hat anymore, but they were still partially concealed by their sanitary masks.

 

Is that a trend in South Korea?

 

Nice meeting you guys again,” I chuckled softly as I proceeded to sit on the  small couch that's beyond incomparable to the ones they call a 'seat' in the economy-class. Behind them was grey-hoodie and sleeping woman who were… er...  asleep with their shades still worn. I swear I thought there were 5 of them, but I couldn’t find the last one.

 

Oh my gosh. Don’t tell me you’re the one who saved the elderly man’s life, right?”

“Should I then I stay silent or lie and say ‘no I’m not’?”

“Well I’m blaming you for the flight’s second delay!” She jokingly quips, “And damn, you didn’t tell us you’re a doctor. I mean you look…”

“Too young for my profession? Yea I get that a lot. Besides, should I be disclosing my entire memoir to a complete stranger?”

“Okay, same here.”

 

We were laughing the entire flight, exchanging embarrassing stories without revealing our identity to each other. Past me would be practically sweating a gallon before being able to muster the courage to even utter a simple greeting. I wasn't big with conversing with people I didn't know but blanket-lady is easy to talk to. Jjong though was quiet the whole time, though attentively listening to our exchanges. I paid her no mind since it wasn’t my business to intrude and I didn’t want to be deemed rude.

When the plane landed and the seatbelt signs were turned off, we stood up and I helped Jjong unload her stuffs from the overhead compartment.

 

T-thanks…” she acknowledged.

Finally, the first word she said to me for the entire 6-hour flight.

 

Hey, it was refreshing chatting with you,” blanket-woman handed me a tiny wad of torn paper, “Add me in KakaoTalk. And don't lose this.”

Oh okay, wait, what’s your name? Here’s my nu…”

I was rummaging through my bag for a pen and paper to hand her my contact information when her attention was caught by Grey-hoodie.

We have to rush to Terminal 2, 1st basement floor. Manager-oppa is waiting for us in the van parked there. We have to remain inconspicuous to avoid any paparazzi. Remember, this trip is unofficial. All of us, by now, are well accustomed by the media’s blood-thirst for anything they can label as gossips or ‘scandals.’” She warns her peers.

 

Paparazzi?

 

Before I could repeat what I wanted to tell blanket-woman, she was lightly slapping her still-sleeping friend's face who woke up in the midst of one of her snores.

Attempting not to laugh, I decided not to intrude anymore. Stepping off the plane, it wasn’t my business to meddle in their affairs.

 

I’m just a stranger after all.  


Author's note:

I apologize if the Hangul/ English parts were a bit confusing. There is a small reason behind them.