Idiots

The Untold Behind the Scenes

 


I stare at my boarding pass and compare it to an e-mail in my phone.

 

To: [email protected]

Flight CX2331 to Incheon International Airport, South Korea of departure time 2pm is temporarily delayed to 6pm due to unfavourable weather. Apologies for the inconveniences.

 

Talk about inconveniences. Right on cue, a booming thunder sounded followed by a delayed lightning a few seconds after. Then rain immediately fell pitter-patter on the airport's huge windows, blurring the view of the expanses of the runway of planes. Notifications such as these are pettily annoying, but I suppose better safe and late than dead. After walking past through the countless branded merchandises sold by several shops, I finally found the allocated spot where I could sit and wait for my plane. I was reading through the novel entitled, “The Alchemist” recommended to me by a coworker when a strong scent of vanilla crowded my nose. Usually, I would’ve minded my own business, but curiosity easily enticed me especially when the stranger who sat beside me dramatically has her entire face obscured. More so when two other ladies veiled in the same manner were hovering over her. Aside from the sanitary masks and hats they wore, the exceedingly large shades were a bit too much given that we were inside and there wasn’t any sun due to the thunderstorm. After taking a peak at them, I resumed to minding my own business. I wouldn’t want to be labelled as nosy. Unintentionally though, I overheard their conversation. Yes I do understand and fluently speak Hangul. I mean, what do you expect more since I'll be working there. Moreover, you know how when you hear someone speak a language you understand but don't expect to hear, such as in the circumstance I'm currently in, I wouldn't call it eavesdropping but somehow your ears are inadvertently listening.

 

 

 

 

*(start of conversation in Hangul)

"Aissh. Where’s Ahn Heeyeon?” One of them spoke. She wore a grey hoodie and matched it with ripped jeans and black ankle-length leather boots while adorning a blue Burberry fanny-pack around her chest.

Unnie, I think she went to find the bathroom with Hyerin-unnie.” The other one points out. She was wearing a white v-necked spaghetti-strap top under her beige trench coat with a wide blue-green pant-suit and white sneakers. “Ya! Unnie, our plane got delayed. Have you even called manager-oppa?” She adds, directing the question to the lady in question who remained quiet sitting beside me. Her voice was undeniably shrilly and high-pitched. 

Let her rest, Jjeong. She couldn’t sleep with your incessant noise with Hani last night." Grey-hoodie exasperately replies, "I’ll contact manager-oppa and you call Hyerin. Knowing them, those two idiots are probably lost.”

*(end of conversation in Hangul)

 

Incredulous, ‘Jjeong’ walked away to look for her missing peers. Grey-hoodie then took out her phone and looked as if she was typing hurriedly. But before she could finish what she was supposed to do, she probably realized the cellular signal in this area was a bit weak. Moreover, due to the aforementioned suspension of flights, noise due to complaints proliferated the premise. It wasn’t just our flight that got affected, of course.

Feeling a light tap on my shoulder, I looked up and saw grey-hoodie standing in front of me.

Uh yes?” I asked, temporarily closing the book with my index finger as the bookmark, “Can I help you?”

She removed her shades but her hat tipped too low, preventing me from even having a glimpse of her eyes. Moreover, I wasn’t expecting to know anyone here.

“If you could watch over our stuffs and accompany my sleeping friend? I won’t be long. I just have to answer a call but in a quieter place.” She politely asks me, pointing to her phone. “Since you’re waiting here, I suppose it’s safe to assume we’re boarding the same plane that got delayed. CX2331, right?”

“Yep, sure. No worries.”  I casually responded.

When she left, I moved their stuffs near mine and resumed reading.

 

 

About 2 hours later, it was 5:21 pm when I checked the time. I felt the lady besides me stir. Glancing at her direction, her outfit was entirely jet black. From the simple black tee and black leathered jacket with similarly colored fur lining its collar, cuffs, and lapel to the black jeans and heels she wore, the only colour she exuded was the vibrant red-auburn tresses of her hair. I’m amazed how she could sleep soundly, even procuring, though barely audible, snores, with a sanitary mask obstructing her airflow.

Jjeong returns with two other ladies, who looked as if they were bickering, ambling behind her. The slightly shorter one was clad in a white tee with a purple “SEOUL” written on the center and the trendy split-buttoned pants you could at the sides. She styled it with  Gucci sandals and a small Marc Jacobs crossbody wrapping her tiny frame. Besides her was a woman taller than her and wearing a pink hoodie with “Life is romantic” written on both sleeves and a small illustration of French fries on her upper left chest, while clad in a simple black shorts and open-toed sandals. Talk about the contrast both emanated. One exuded sophistication, while the other spoke nonchalance, especially with the crumpled white-and-black checkered blanket one of them carried. The only similarity I can see is that both sported bangs and above-the-shoulder length hair, asides from the uniform mob-like masks, shades, and hats they all wore. 

 

 

 

 

*(start of conversation in Hangul)

“Uh, where’s LE-unnie?” asked the taller one of the two to the lady named 'Jjeong.'

Here. Just finished a call from manager-oppa.” Grey-hoodie says after practically coming out of nowhere, surprising Jjeong in the process. “And ya! You two. Where the hell were you?”  She adds, pointing at the two new women. 

Hehe, we got distracted by a make-up kiosk after using the bathro—”

“Ya! Don’t blame me. You literally dragged me towards the perfume section afterwards even if I said they were waiting for us. You even told me you could use your ‘English skills’ in case we got lost!” Interjected the shorter one while sarcastically air-quoting the 'English skills' part.

The taller one simply laughs shyly when grey-hoodie counters, “Expect a scolding later.”

*(end of conversation in Hangul)

 

 


 

 

Not long after, the intercom system announces, “All passengers of CX2331 to Incheon International Airport, South Korea of departure time 6pm, please start queuing. Apologies for the delay. Again, all passengers of…”

I drowned out the sounds as I take away my passport and boarding ticket that would be inspected before allowing entry to the plane.

Hey, thanks for the help,” grey-hoodie tells me.

Uh, no pro---“

“Ya, unnie who’s that girl?”  interferes the blanket-lady among them (in Hangul)

She's quite animated and lively as opposed to the "sleepy" demeanor her clothes and blanket demonstrate.

She watched Solji-unnie for me.” replies grey-hoodie in English.

Ah. Thank you ma’am. Hehe, our leader’s extremely exhausted,” blanket-lady shakes my hand.

 

Leader?! The ? Are they a cult?? Does that explain their unified clothing? I tried not to over-analyze her words and maintained a blank face.

 

“No worries. We got to line-up now, I guess.”  I responded, gesturing to the long queue with my thumb, not knowing how to continue the conversation.

Oh, we’re actually riding business-class. Bye.” She waves, already pulling her hand-carry towards the front of the line.

 

Damn, if my budget could afford.

 

I was about to walk towards the back of the line for the economy-class when I realized something and shouted at them.

“Hey! Your friend is still asleep!!”

“Oh !” Grey-hoodie mutters in Hangul, sauntering towards me, “Thank you.”

“Ahn Hee Yeon! You’re dead when we return to the apartment!!”

 


 

 I tried my best describing their airport outfits. Sorry for the mediocre writing :>