The Deal

You Are My Pet

MINA's POV

"My gosh, I can't believe you let a stranger in your house Myoui!" Exclaimed Nayeon unnie when I told her everything that happened yesterday starting from my break up incident to the girl I left eating at home.

That's Nayeon unnie, she's my childhood best friend. She's always there for me when I needed her and I will always be thankful for that. God, gave me a reliable friend like her.

"She looked like a lost puppy, I couldn't help it," I sighed.

"But she's a human, and a high school student, Mina." She argued, putting her hand at the back of her neck while her other hand is fanning her face. I can tell that she's beyond... annoyed.

"What's up?" Jihyo came, putting down the plate of fruit cake, before sitting next to Nayeon unnie.

"This friend of ours let a stranger stay at her house," She pointed at me with an irritated face. "Just because she looks like a puppy." She added. Jihyo gave me a confused look before putting the tray on the vacant table behind her.

Jihyo is our best friend, we met her in high school and we were in the same class. The three of us also go to the same university although we have different courses we still manage to meet each other. Just like today, since it's Sunday, Nayeon unnie asked us to meet up.

"I told her to leave after having her meal." I defended myself.

"The problem in you is you trust people so much." Nayeon unnie said. She tapped on Jihyo's hand to get her attention, when Jihyo turned to her she opened and pointed at it. I frowned looking at Jihyo feeding Nayeon unnie her cake.

"What's her name?" Jihyo asked, feeding herself. "The girl, I mean."

"I don't know." I replied flatly. They both whipped their head at me, looking like I grown two heads at once. "Woah. It's because I won't see her again, so I thought asking her name was unnecessary." I reached for Jihyo's hand that is holding a utensil with a cake and brought it to my mouth.

"What the heck, Mina, for someone so smart you're dumb." I made a face at Nayeon unnie's response.

"I mean, why did you not ask her? How if she's a bad person? Or a thief? And to think that you left her alone in your house."

"Nayeon unnie is right, Mina. Who knows it might be their modus." Jihyo seconded.

I understand them, I got scammed before when we were in high school for I thought the person really needs help for their health maintenance, turned out they used the money for gambling, and it's just their modus to get money from people. I pouted remembering it.

"I thought you've already learned from your mistake." Nayeon unnie shook her head. She sounded disappointed of my action. "No matter how they look outside, you still don't know them as a person."

"You're being judgemental, unnie." I rebuked

"I'm not judgemental. I'm just stating a fact," she said shrugging her shoulders as she takes her mug to sip.

——

I arrived home late because Nayeon unnie requested to go to the arcade center to play Tekken. Playing games is how unnie released her stress and frustrations, so we agreed plus it's all on her. She didn't tell us anything, but we know that there is something bothering her. I don't wanna ask her if she doesn't want to talk about it.

I shrugged before turning the doorknob, and the first thing that welcomed me was the sound of people talking in the television. I hastily ran to my living room, my heart pounding in chest thinking that someone had entered my house or some thief. My eyes almost popped out of its socket when I saw the girl laughing while watching.

"What are you doing?" I exclaimed in shock. She turned her head first followed by her body, before smiling widely.

"Oh, you're back!" She said excitedly. She jumped out of my sofa and faced me. "You didn't get to watch the episode of Running Man today. Twice is their guest."

Twice? I only frowned at her, then snatched the remote on her hand. Turning the tv off before walking to where I kept my precious things hidden. I opened my room's door and it is clean, I moved to my closet to see if something is missing, then the drawers of my bedside table. I can breathe normally now knowing that nothing has stolen from me.

"You don't know who Twice is?" I heard her grasped. Then she began explaining like an expert when I didn't respond to her, "Twice is a popular girl group here in Korea, consisting of nine beautiful girls. They are known worldwide, and dubbed as—" I pushed her gently out of my way, and moved around to sit on my sofa. I looked up at her in disbelief.

"I don't care about Twice. What I care and only want to know is why are you still here." I cut her. She just stared at me for a minute before scratching the back of her head. I raised my brows to intimidate her more, which was effective because she finally opened , but to my dismay she closed it again without uttering any words. "Why are you still here?" I repeated sternly. It took her another minute to speak.

"I decided to live here."

"HA!?" My jaw dropped. "And who told you that you can live here?" I stood up. She pointed herself with a wide smile.

"Since I have no place to go, I decided to just stay here." She said enthusiastically.

"Are you for real?" I frowned. Again. This kid is just giving me wrinkles on my face. She nodded hastily, her eyes twinkled in excitement. I shook my head, "No. You— you are not allowed in this house."

"But. How if the person will find me again?"

"That's not my problem. Like I said to you, seek help to the authorities."

"They won't help me, they will turn me to them." She countered, sounded afraid.

"Well, I don't care. I gave you food and let you stayed the night. We're quits now." I grabbed her hand, and dragged her to my door.

"But you said, you'll take responsibility of me. Wait—" She's putting resistance by holding onto something, or putting all her weight under her feet. I swear, she's making it hard for me.

"I have no responsibility to you, Miss. I am not your parent. Speaking of parents, you should go back to your house because they're probably worried about you." I said hastily, it's like I'm rapping at this point.. I just want to get rest, I still have class tomorrow.

"I don't live with them," she quickly retorted.

"Then just go back to wherever you came from!" I let go of her arm when she's out of my door. "Just get out of here."

Her face fell, not as bright as earlier. I felt guilty for what I did, but I know I made the right thing. If she's a rebel, I don't want to be part of her little games. Or if she's a bad person, of course I don't want to get involved. She turned to walk to the elevator. Once she got in, I closed the door and leaned my back on it.

How if she's an abandon?  My mind said.

She did say that she doesn't live with her parents earlier, but that doesn't mean she has no relatives. I'm sure she has some in this country.

Remember, you found her in a box, it countered.

She's a stranger. And I can't break my rule of not letting a stranger crossed the line!

I hate my brain sometimes. I'm about to walk to my living room when I heard a knock from my door.

"I told you—" I said as I open the door, and there she was standing outside, looking down. I didn't get to finish my words because she cut me off.

"I forgot my bag inside."

"Bag?" She opened to speak, but I raised my palm to stop her, and went back in the living room. "Where could she possibly put it?"

I looked around for three minutes until I saw an unfamiliar black backpack placed on the open shelf of my center table. I winced when I heard a something hard that hit my floor when I pulled it out from the shelf. I hope I didn't break something, I don't want to have any more business with her.

A frown formed in my forehead when I heard my landlord talking to someone— when I say someone, I mean the highschool girl.

"Oh, Myoui-ssi, you're finally here. I'm telling her that it is best for her to stay at your house for a night since it's already past 10. But she is stubborn. I'm afraid something will happen to her," my landlord said.

"She'll be fine." I said, passing the bag on the girl.

"Don't be like that on your relative?" He inquired.

"She's not my relative." I said flatly.

"A friend, then?"

"No." I answered sternly, looking coldly at him. I know that he wants to ask more question but can't bring himself to speak up. We heard the girl cleared effectively directing our attention to her.

"We're nowhere close as friends, Sir. I just came here to retrieve my things. I left this earlier at the park and she happened to be the one who found it." She said casually while lifting the bag slightly, making her point.

"But—"

"I will be fine, Sir. Thanks for worrying." She purposely stressed out the last word. She smiled one last time before turning her back on ours and proceeded to the elevator. Like earlier, I waited for her to enter it the lift. I jumped when I heard the old man spoke, I thought he left already.

"Are you really not worried? What if something bad will happened to her? What if she'll get abducted by a trafficker? She's young and beautiful tho."

I rolled my eyes at him then closed the door afterwards without saying anything. That man really loves meddling on other's lives as if it's his. Annoying.

Finally, I will get to sleep peacefully. I did my night routine, and instantly launched on my bed. Comfy, I sighed.

My eyes were closed for five minutes now, but sleep has not yet come, and I don't think it will any moment. My mind was occupied of that highschool girl. Her voice I hear and face I see every time I shut my eyes. I tossed around to find a right side to fall asleep.

What if something bad will happened to her? What if she'll get abducted by a trafficker? 

Someone's hunting me

"She should really report it to the police." I laid my stomach flatly.

They won't help me, they will turn me to them.

"What the heck!" I ducked under my duvet, pillow on top of my head. "Why is she filling up my mind! This ain't free real estate!" I jumped out my bed, stomping my feet. I wore my trench coat and went outside.

——

It's so dark outside with the clouds covering the moon, there's no stars shining in the night sky, even I felt scared. I occasionally jumped in surprised whenever I hear a shuffle, and the sound of cicada chirping and frogs calls because of the rain. I'm afraid, some frog will just suddenly hump in front of me from somewhere. I swear! I'm going back home.

As I turned right, I saw a figure standing under the lamp post. She's gazing up on it while her hand seemed reaching onto the light. She's soaking wet from the rain but she's not bothered about it.

I forwarded slowly, to recognize the person if it was her that I'm looking for. Once I confirmed, I called out to her but she didn't turn.

"Hey." I repeated. I'm only 6 feet away from her when she averted her gaze at me and I stopped walking. She's sporting a smile on her face.

"I knew it," she mumbled then ran to hug me. "You're not a bad person."

We walked back to my home, soaking wet. This girl suddenly embraced me causing me to drop the umbrella that's been keeping me dry. She only let go of my arm, that she's been holding since I found her, when we get inside of our house. I told her to go to the bathroom and wash up first, I'll just change in my room.

I can't believe I allow her to stay another night and use some of my toiletries. I sat on my couch waiting for her to come out of the bathroom while I stared at the ceiling, thinking of ways on how to help this weirdo.

If calling the authorities won't help her? What should I do? Should I call directly to her parents or relatives? Does she even have relatives that lives here? Honestly, she doesn't look local and more like a foreigner. I shrieked upon seeing her face above mine.

"Are you all right?" She asked full of concern, "you seem troubled?"

I need to open this topic again. I released a deep breath to calm myself. "We need to talk."

"I'm all ears," she said while drying her hair with the towel.

"I will only let you stay another night."

"I understand," she pouted.

"That's the least I can do to help you." I continued. Great. "Oh, and if you wanna inform your parents—"

"Like I said, my parents aren't here," she cut me off. I motioned for her to continue, "They're overseas. I only live here by myself." She said flatly, almost uninterested about our subject. I bobbed my head in understanding, but still not convinced.

I didn't ask for more because I'm afraid that I will cross the line with my questions without knowing, just like earlier. I don't know if it's just me being socially awkward or she's sensitive to talk about her family. Fortunately, she decided to speak first, breaking the awkward silence engulfing us.

"Momo's the name, by the way. You?" She introduced herself, folding the towel.

"Mina."

"Mina..." She put her hand under her chin and massaged it as if thinking. "Mina-san. Mina-kun. Mina-chan—"

Ha?

"Minari! Mitang! MINA!"

"SHUT UP! You'll disturb my neighbors." I reprimanded.

"Your name is beautiful." She said smiling, settling herself next to mine. I looked the other way to hide the blush forming in my face. Gladly, she changed the subject by asking about my unit.

"Eh, my parents bought this for me as 18th gift."

"Don't you feel lonely?"

Do I? Sometimes. "No."

"You know this saying no man is an island?"

"I know that."

"I think, you need someone to be beside you. Someone to take care of you when you get sick, someone who will lift you up when you're down, someone who will look after you. Someone who's always there for you. Someone—"

Sounds good to hear, I shook my head slightly. "Someone who is definitely not you." I continued. I know where is this conversation going and I won't let her to have it.

"You're so cold." She pouted.

I squinted my eyes at her. An idea came to mind and I'm confident that she won't agree to this. Pretty sure shell get offended after hearing this. I'm smiling like a creep right now, I'm aware of it since this person beside me is looking at me weirdly.

"Hey, I have a proposal." She tilted her head sidewards, anticipating for the next words I'm going to say. "You have no place to live, right?"

"Yes" she nodded.

"Why not be my pet?" With this, she will back out willingly without me forcing her out.

"Your pet?" She repeated, confusion visible on her face as her brows meet.

"Yes. My pet. I'll let you live here with me as a pet. I'll cook you food, I'll give you things you need. But that will only happen if you will agree with my condition."

She stared at me blankly. She seemed offended by what I said, of course she's a human, that's a natural reaction. I can't blame her for that. So, I doubt she's taking it in to consideration...

"So, deal?"

Or not.

Oh my god. Please, say no.

She reached for my hand and shook it with a big smile on her face. "Deal! From now on, I will be under your care. Please take good care of me, Master."