Favor

You Are My Pet

MINA's POV


Did she just- wow. The audacity of that girl to ignore me. She walked past me, not even a glance when I greeted her. The nerve of her!

I march to her room and begin pounding on her door. "Momo!! Mom-" The door opens revealing Momo with her surprised expression. She turns her head to look at the clock sitting on top of the bedside table.

"Why are you ignoring me?" I asks, not missing a beat

"Eh?" She blurts. "I am not."

"Then why did you ignore me? I even greeted you!"

"I did not. I didn't know you're home. I thought you're busy so I expected that you won't be home at this hour, and I was wearing an earpiece, that's why."

I look her directly in the eyes, searching for lies hidden beneath those dark brown orbs. Seeing that she's telling the truth, I soften my voice but keeping my straight face.

"Where are you going?" I inquire since she hasn't change her clothes yet.

"I was about to go out to buy food," she answers.

She genuinely think I won't be home earlier tonight. "I'm sorry." I mumble, the guilt I'm feeling comes back, linking around my throat, suffocating me.

"For?" She frowns. Momo steps out of her room, closing the door in the process as I step aside to give her way.

"About yesterday. I forgot about my promise."

"It's alright. I know how busy college life is, I completely understand," she smiles then sniffs in the air. When she do that she really reminds me of a dog. "Is that jokbal I smell?" She looks at me with big round eyes, shining. So, I nod. She skips to the dining, leaving me standing in front of her bedroom door.

I turn around, letting out a chuckle seeing how Momo drools just by looking at the food. Then I hear a whine, calling my name.

"You're not even in college to understand." I say, sitting across her. She looks up to me then shrugs.

"I know. But I'm also a student." I watch as Momo clasps her hands together, mumbling a little prayer. "Itadakimasu!" She exclaims before digging on her food. She does not even wait for my signal. Oh well, whatever, even a pet has their own rights.

Are you not guilty?

Here we go again. Guilty of what?

For lying.

...I did not.

Not telling the truth is lying.

Excuse me. I technically did not lie. Momo assumed that- I know! It was not a 'what' but a 'who' that kept me yesterday.

After battling with myself, I ask Momo of the reason she was late today. She said she had to stay to help her dance teacher with her other class, and as much as I want to doubt it- I mean, Momo is a teenage girl, of course other than school and dancing, which I don't know where, she will go to... well, wherever she wants to go with whoever- her face says it all. When she's done eating, she gets up, walks across the dining to the living room, throwing herself on the sofa and turns on the TV.

I begin to collect all the dishes and bring them to the sink to wash. Once I put them on the dish dryer, I join Momo on the sofa. She moves to give space for me to sit, then lays her head on my lap. My hand instinctively brush her hair.

Her hair is so soft. Whenever I do this to her, it reminds me of my best friend, Ray, a smart dachshund my family used to have. But then he died when I was in high school. Taking a deep breath, I focus on the TV.

I didn't know we were watching a foreign show until Momo exclaims 'butternut' along with the character in the show. I immediately clasp my hand to . I felt her warm breath fanning on my palm as she keeps herself quiet, fighting a giggle.

I laughed at the scene where Jade slipped and when Jade and Tori managed to fool the guard by cleaning with them and left him, dancing on their way out, all by himself with their task undone. They're witty, but you can't do that here in Korea otherwise you want more than a detention.

"You should smile more often, Mitang. You're pretty when you smile." Momo blurts all of a sudden. When I look down, she's gazing up at me as if she's been watching me the whole time. Her bright smile outshine the sun, it almost blinded me.

"Moron! Stop saying nonsense." I slap her arm lightly, moving her head on the direction of the TV so she can't see the small smile forming on my face.

We're on the 6th episode when I hear a soft snore. I look down to see Momo passed out, slightly ajar, making me chuckle. Her rosy cheeks are chubby. I mean, how can someone be cute when they're asleep? I probably look ugly. But this... She's as cute as Ray. Well, Ray's cuter.

I shake her softly to wake her up so she could sleep properly in her bed but I only received grunts from her. "Momo you have to go to bed. I, too, wants my bed already." Another grunt.

"This is soft." She says, turning on her place then wrapping her arms on my waist. She even goes as far as rubbing her face on my clothed stomach. "Momo wants here."

The next thing I know is her groaning in pain on the floor. I stand up to defend myself, but when I open my mouth there's no words coming out, so I fly from the scene with my head high-

"Ouch!"

I look down to Momo who's gripping her hand that I accidentally stepped on, "Sor- that's what you get from drooling on my dress."

"But- I-"

I leave Momo there, baffled and hurt. Yeah, I know. That was bad of me, but what do I do? I don't like someone else's scent reeks on me specially when they're a pet. Pet likes to leave their scent on their owners so I am just saving myself from it. It's kind of a reflex.

I jump on my bed as soon as I hear the other door open and close. Thinking about today's event, I admit it, I have fun. Even though, it's just Momo and I, in this big- according to her- apartment.

Oh, I definitely have to apologize to her tomorrow, I'm such a prideful person at times.

 

-

 

The next day I'm awaken by the shuffling sound behind my door, so I grudgingly drag myself out of my bed. I haven't had enough sleep, because Jung-In oppa suddenly called in the middle of the night. Not that I'm annoyed, in fact, I'm fluttered. I'm the last person he talked to before he went to sleep, aaaand, he told me that he couldn't fall asleep because he was thinking about me.

I walk to where the sound is coming from, but I stop myself when my eyes caught a glimpse of a person standing with their back facing me. She's wearing our high school's uniform, the same built as Momo only the posture is different. I study the situation for a minute before deciding to intervene on whatever they are doing in my kitchen. Calmly.

In a quick pace, I hold the person's arm turning them to face me, "Who ar- Momo?"

Her face turns white, panic is evident in her eyes like a deer caught in a red light, but other than that there's still something else that makes me frown. She's shaking uncontrollably with tears rolling in her face.

"Are you alright?"

"B-blood."

"Wha- what do you mean blood-" a smell of something burning cut me off. "What the, Momo!" I immediately turn off the stove, crunching my nose as I get a whiff of burnt butter. I almost forgot about Momo.

"Mitang- my finger is bleeding! My finger is bleeding!"

"Shut up, okay! Calm down!" Turning the faucet on, I let the water run on the wound. I tell her to hold it still as I run back to the bathroom to get the medicine kit. After cleaning it, I put hydrogen peroxide around the cut to make sure that there's no excess dirt surrounding it. "How did you manage to cut your finger this deep?" I wince, examining the injury. I gently apply the betadine as I blow on her wound to lessen the stings.

"I was watching this cooking tutorial on YT, I thought I could cook something for breakfast," she says in between her sobs.

"I told you not to fiddle in the kitchen, didn't I?"

"I'm sorry," she bows, or should I say look down to avoid my gaze.

"Were you about to go to school?" I stand up, walk to the counter to continue her work. Oh. She was cutting onion, I see now how she got that wound. She must've done it with her eyes closed. Sigh, how can someone be this klutzy?

"Yes," a soft voice resounds.

"Isn't too early?" Usually our school opens at 7 in the morning, class starts at 8, and Momo goes to school at 6.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I don't want to wake you up so-"

"Why didn't you tell me you go to my school?"

I know for a fact that I don't know much information about Momo, because: first, I never ask; second, I'm too busy to mind other's business. But since Momo live here with me, I have to know at least a little information other than those stories she'd told me before. Just like this one. All this time I'm curious what kind of educational institution she attends, where is this dance studio she goes after class and what kind of job she has every weekend.

"I..." She starts. Her head down, fidgeting her fingers on her lap. "I didn't know we attend the same school," her voice changes tone which makes me raise my brow.

"I mentioned it to you before." I transfer the cooked pancakes to a clean plate, then starts frying the egg.

"I don't remember... It may have slipped my mind. But it's nice knowing that we're on the same place almost 24/7," she says dreamily. "I mean, we live together" cough "and then, attend the same university. Isn't it cool?"

"It's not."

"Imma visit you in your department one of this days."

"No! Not needed at all."

"How about when you get stress? You might need an energizer. You might need me."

I serve the pancake sandwich on the table, taking a sit, "You know what, just eat this and go."

"It's actually for you, but thanks." Momo stands up, grabbing her coat and sandwich, "I'll head now." She leans on me, puckering her lips. I shove her face away causing her to almost stumble on the floor.

"No kiss!"

"It's just a good bye kiss."

"No thanks, I don't want to get your virus."

"But- but, I'm your pet."

"That's the point."

"Hmp! Some owners kiss their pets before they leave the house. My master is so cold," she pouts. I'm about to speak when she cuts me off, "see you at school!"

-

At school, I spent my whole vacant time writing in the headquarter, but my mind wanders to Momo. She wears her uniform as though she has been wearing that for so long. And if she does go here, how can she afford this school? Isn't she.. well, technically, Momo is not an orphan, rather a runaway. She did mention that she has part time job every weekends, however, the pay isn't enough to afford the fees in this kind of prestigious university.

Does Momo...

No, no, Mina. Stop what you are thinking. That kid is not like what you think.

I know, but I didn't know Momo before I found her.

My mind is too occupied by the thoughts of Momo that I didn't hear a co-member calling my name. I look up from my laptop screen, smiling sheepishly.

"Sorry. What was it?"

"Myoui-ssi, someone's looking for you."

"Who?"

"A friend, that's what he said." She says, giving me a knowing look. "Don't make your friend wait."

A he? Who could that be? I walk to the door, poking my head on the doorway. On the side, is Jung-In oppa looking down at me as he waves his hand in front of my face, smiling widely. A faint smell of cherry blossom invades my olfactory nerves, I blush.

"Oppa, what are you doing here?" He could've just enter the room as he is also a member of the journalism club. I look over my shoulder, seeing my" co-members watching us with interest. What?

"Eh." He meekly scratches the back of his head. "I want to surprise you."

I chuckle.

"By the way, are you free tonight?"

"To-night?" My brain flashes all my schedules and activities for the whole day, "Uh, no." I can just re-schedule it tomorrow.

"Great! Can I invite you for a dinner date after your class?"

"Sure," I smile, bobbing my head a little.

"Cool! I'll see you later. At the school gate?"

"At the school gate." I repeat.

I watch him skips towards the lift and waves at me before the door closes. And the thing I dreaded the most started as soon as I turn around.

"Are you and Jung-In oppa a thing?"

We're a person.

"Do you guys know each other? You two seem close."

We're old friends.

"Are you dating Jung-In oppa?"

I wish.

And any other questions I'd like not to answer. Some of them are too private for me to disclose, also I don't like telling other people about my personal life. People will still have a say no matter what you do, even when you don't even move a finger they still have a say about it.

"We're just friends, that's all." I put my laptop and notebook inside my bag and excuse myself out of this misery using my next subject, Experimental Psychology, where we don't have class for the professor have an urgent meeting to attend. I am yet not far from them when I hear someone from their group asks,

"What about Jimin? Doesn't she quick to move on?"

I continue to walk as if I didn't hear anything, but the truth is, my body is shaking in anger. What do they know? They don't even know the whole story. For months, I stay silent when people threw words about me after Jimin and I's break up like I was the cold hearted who dumped such a nice guy like him. If only they know, my heart is still aching at the memory.

Argh! His name alone reminds me of his betrayals.

"Then forget his name."

"Easy to say- what are you doing here?" I ask, mostly to myself than Momo. I look around me. So my feet brought me here the garden near the secluded part of the campus. My ears are being swooned by the sound of leaves getting swift by the air, birds tweeting, muffled voices of students from afar, and I instantly feel relax. 

"Been here before you came. Why are you crying?"

Crying? "Nah, it's the wind. I'm not crying." I am really not crying. I lift my hand up to wipe my face, and my cheeks are indeed wet. I swear, I did not mean to cry.

"If you say so. To answer your question, it's lunch break." Momo lifts her lunch box composed of onigiri, cherry tomatoes, chicken and sauteed cabbage. I never saw Momo cook except today when she accidentally cut her own finger. "You want some? It tastes good. Got this from a classmate."

"What?"

"What,what?" She offers the chicken to me. It looks cooked well, but I decline.

"Why are you accepting food from other people?"

"I can't always depend on you, Mitang. That is not right. There are things that I want which I can't ask you to get for me."

"It's just cooking."

"This comes along with money, which is the payment for doing her assignment. Her mom was thankful of me that's why she made me this. It's delicious. Are you sure you don't want to?"

"No, thanks." I shake my head. Momo looks completely different, like a new person that is stranger to me. "Do you want me to make you o-bento tomorrow?" I ask, breaking the silence between us.

"Really?" She turns to me and I swear I could see her tail wagging in excitement based on her expression. I nod, then laugh as she rejoices.

That reminds me, "Ah, Momo, I won't be back at home early as 9 PM."

"What about dinner?"

"There' money in the cookie jar. Use them to buy food."

"'Kay," she says before eating the last tomato. The bell rings at exactly 1 in the afternoon, and it is Momo's cue to stand. "See you later, Mitang." She reaches for my hand and put something in there, before walking towards the direction of their building.

Opening my palm, I'm confused as to why Momo gave candy. My eyes widens at the thought of having bad breath from eating garlic bread earlier. I open the wrapper, and notice the bold text at the back of it. 

 

"Smile :)"

 

-

 

The dinner with Oppa went well. We talked about our day, and some things that we missed on each other as well as flashbacks.

It is actually great to have him here right now, talking to him again like the old days. I feel like I'm highschool again; young and carefree.

"-to my speech competition?"

"Come again?"

"I said, is it alright if you come to my speech competition? I mean, it's fine if you can't. Of course, you have classes tomorrow, you'll prioritize that, what am I thinking. But if you can... I'd be glad."

"Sure."

Crap. I can't back out now, can I? I open my mouth before I think. Now I have to pull an all nighter to finish all my homeworks.

At home, I begin doing my school works by starting in chemistry as I let Momo play on my phone. She's behave tho, except the occasional screams and giggles she makes every time she loses.

"Mitang, do you have Nintendo Switch?" She asks. I beckon her to go to my room to look for the console herself. This chemicals are frustrating me, who would've thought that this is tough? This is easier when I was in highschool. Besides, why do I have to take biochemistry!

Just as I'm pulling my hair, a voice comes behind my back.

"Yikes, chem. That's my least favorite branch of Science."

I frown, ignoring Momo even after she waves the Switch in front of my face. After some time and two packs of M&M, I surrender. I hate this! Whoever invented chemistry... nng.. I-I don't know.. R.I.P? Needless to say, I'm becoming to hate this subject.

As soon as I lean my head on the top rail, a cold object is being put gently over my eyes, realizing it's my cooling eye mask, I relaxed.

"May I see?" I hear a sound of paper getting drag across the table.

"I suggest you not to. It will only give you headache."

Momo chuckles, "They're not capable of doing anything wrong to me. I, on the other hand, can."

"That's what you said."

I wait for Momo to make a sound of grumble or growl in annoyance, but nothing comes out. I peek from the mask, and see her scribbles something on my answer sheet. Her face is serious, turning from my phone then the sheet. A few minutes later, Momo look up, smiling widely.

"There!" She says, giving me the paper. "You can find answers on-line. Solve." Momo proudly says, like she just find a solution for the world-wide crisis.

I momentarily blush. I spend an hour while Momo took this for like what, three minutes?

"Oh," I scan the answer "thank you."

"Mitang, I have a favor to ask." I hum, signalling her to continue. While fiddling on her fingers, "Can you come to my recital tomorrow?"

 

 

 

———

I have no idea what I'm writing here. Btw, thank you for reading!!! Have good day.