Pet's Reality

You Are My Pet

MOMO'S POV

 

Hi, I'm Momo. A lady in red, by the name of Myoui Mina, found me in a box I used to hide from the people chasing me. I have no permanent home until Mitang let me in under her roof, as her pet. I have no human rights. It's better, I guess, than to wander from places to places, asking permission if they can let me stay for a night.

I have said this before, I can't always rely on my friends; they have their own life, and I respect that. I have to stand on my own. Besides, being with my master is heaven.

I really am excited to return home to tell Mitang how successful our event was, but I have to wait until she returns from school; she does all her club's work at uni. I saw her earlier from the audience but after our performance, she's gone. I wonder if she went to that competition she really need to cover for the school's newspaper's monthly issue.

Stepping out of the lift, I see Jimin-ssi walks out of Minari's unit. I furrow, partly in confusion and curiosity. He's a little tense, but soon a smile breaks out of his face and he sighs in relief, scratching the back of his head.

"Ah! You—" he exclaims, pointing a finger at me.

I slightly bow to greet him. "How are you?"

"I'm good. I finally got the courage to talk to her. Thanks to you."

"Good to know," I nod. I don't have to ask him, and I don't feel the need to do so. Based on his expression alone, I can tell that it went well.

He bids me goodbye after looking at his wristwatch, thanking me one last time. I follow him with my gaze, waving goodbye, until the door of the lift close.

I smirk to myself. I'm glad. That's what they both need— closure; better than seeing each other in the eyes with guilt, and/or resent. I insert the spare key Mitang gave me to the door knob. Wait— how did that guy— if he came out— that means, Mitang is here?

Twisting the knob, I push the door open only to be surprised: Minari sitting on the floor. She's staring blankly ahead with her crestfallen face, lips quivering and eyes starting to water. Minari looks up at me. Mouth moves to open and close, unsure of what to say— or speak to me at all. Seeing her state, I decide to have a word to that guy. I think he's not that far yet, I can still reach him. I thought it went fine? How come my Mitang here is suppressing her tears while he has a smile on his face? Did he lie to me?

But before I can do anything, Mitang speaks.

"You kknow what, I liked that guy. I really really liked him." Her voice breaks, swallowing her tears. "He is plain and boring, although he is small compared to the other guys in our school, he is still cool. He is gentle to me, and he treat me like I' valuable."

Present.

I squat to level our line of sight, holding her slumped body to give her support, I look straight to her eyes. I push the strands of hair behind her ear, and assure her in the softest voice I could muster. "It's okay. I am here now." Tears start to fall, strolling her beautiful face. I catch the second one and wipe it. Something in my chest rips at the sight of her crying.

"Now that we finally talked, everything feels so real. It still have the same sting from that night we split up. It's over now, Momo. We're over."

I nod in understanding, caressing her arms hoping that it will soothe her. I kiss her forehead, eyes, cheeks and her nose, then I pull her in a hug. I didn't know how much he means to you for you to cry like this, but I will do my best to treat you better.

"I'll never leave you."

Sadly, you don't see me as I am.

"Promise?" she asks between her sobs.

I wish someday..

"Promise."

You will see my worth too.

"Until we get older?" By this time, Mina calms down.

A single tear falls out of my left eye.

"Until we get older."

——

Today is the first day of the Foundation week (usually held for two days). Our class is busy preparing for the opening of our cafe based on Victorian era (blame Sana). I'm awe by the effort my classmates exert to make our room looks like a Victorian restaurant with a slight touch of contemporary modern. Cool, isn't it?

Yesterday, the dance company's event was successful. We earned more proceeds than we expected. As we promised, we donated the 70% of it to our chosen foundation, the rest we kept them for the organization's fund. For that reason, our club adviser decided not to participate in this year's celebration. So, yeah, in other words, you won't find our booth 'cause we have no booth. Nothing. Nada!

Okay, back to present, I went to school with Mitang today since there's no classes, means we can go to school what ever time we want. Our choice, but attendance is a MUST. I'm just sad that Mina didn't hold my hand. My hand represents a leash. What if I lost? What if somebody kidnapped me?

"Hirai-ssi, Minatozaki-ssi, Kim-ssi, you three are assigned from 9 until lunch." Our class president reminds us three as we simultaneously respond

"Copy!" 
"Noted."
"Yokai!"

Sana then faces me, amusement shining in those dark brown orbs, giving me cringe. "Woah! You're so handsome, Mo. I did not recognize you, well, almost."

I give her a wink before i slap her arm jokingly as if she isn't the one who helped me put this pile of clothes on. Following the Victorian era (again, Minatozaki Sana's idea) theme, I'm wearing a white pleated shirt, high double-ed black vest, black tailcoat suit, and black bowtie, a pair of black trousers matched with a pair of black leather shoes. Basically, a black tie dress code. The other two sports the same, only differs in tailcoat's style. Mine looks like it was awkwardly cut at the front up to waistline, like a long back dress. Dahyun's wearing a cummerbund instead of a vest; and Sana, on the other hand, being extra as she is, wears a pair of black boots. 

I have no idea where Sana got all these stuffs, but these are so cool. She also seems confident about this idea of hers. Looking at my own reflection in the mirror, I ask her.

"eBay."

"This one, too?" I ask, touching the false hair.

"Of course, not! I bought them in a costume boutique at a low price." She says smugly. Dahyun beside her is shaking her head.

Sometimes I can't believe Sana. A simple suit and tie is fine, but she just had to insist the "proper" uniform. I don't know how her brain works even though we're best friends since diaper days.

We get to work when customers start coming in our booth a.k.a Cafe. Most of the customers are female students. Maybe they're expecting to see the boys in this fit, yet it was us, girls, wearing them.

I welcome the new customer that just entered, I them to their table and take their orders.

"Do you have, uhm, a cake here?" The woman wearing a branded clothes asks.

"Yes, ma'am." I turn the page of the menu to the selection of all the available flavors of the cake.

"What's your favorite?" The woman who looks like a cat asks. She has the same aura as Mitang. Just like that, I miss her all of a sudden. This must be the feeling of separation anxiety, like you don't want to be separated from your owner, and you always want to be arounf them all the time.

"Eh," I take a moment to think of a favorite. But all of them are my favorites? "I have no particular favorite, but I can recommend you some if you'd like."

After some recommendations for each of them, the cat-eye girl opt to choose her own confection, disregarding my suggestion completely. After a while I go to the counter to give the order to our very own barista.

Don't start at me about the equipment our we are using, this is an elite school. I have already proved that with Sana alone.

While waiting for the orders, I suddenly feel something odd. That feeling when someone's watching you. I look around the room, seeing no one's looking at me, I return from daydreaming. Then there's that feeling again. Aishi. This will bother me 'til—

The cat-eye woman is looking at me and our eyes just met! Omo! Omo! It gives me chills. She's so creepy. Is she mad that it's taking so long? Is she that hungry? I remember the other girl said that this will serve as their breakfast. I ask Wooseok if he can doubl time because someone slept on wrong side of the bed last night, and now they're targeting me. Wooseok laughs, commenting that I'm overreacting.

"I kid you not. The woman who has cat-eyes from table 6 is ready to pounce me any time soon if I don't give their food as early as possible. No, don't look at her! Don't!" Oh my gosh, where did I go wrong? Whatever. He is so obvious, stretching his neck to check the occupants of the said table.

"She's pretty. Maybe she's hitting on you."

"By hitting, you mean, throwing glares at me?"

He laughs again. He gives me the tray, and I make a face before I turn around to walk the aisle to get there, trying not to make a mess. As I stand next to their table, I carefully put the tray down, then the coffee and the cake. Before I leave, I remind them not to burn their tongue and to enjoy their food—"Bon appétit".

After about two hours we still have lots of customers yet to serve. None of us expect the queue outside our classroom that Taehyung and Han entertain. I don't know what they are doing but they sure are having fun. Namjoon calls for backup: some of our classmates who are out to distribute fliers help us assist and take their order, whereas Suga and Namjoon help Wooseok in the counter.

Just before lunch, we manage to serve all of them. Thanks to our teamwork. It already feels like we're working for real— so tiring.

"Let's grab lunch!" Sana, who seems to have not drained her energy, says, pulling me up in the process. Dahyun stands closely, smiling apologetically, feeling sorry for the attack I'm getting from our hyper friend.

——

Sana carries me on her back as we stroll the open field now filled with booths— from foods to retails— and other activities/games courtesy of the college department. Unlike us, they are not allowed to occupy the rooms in their building. Worst of all, classes are on going, and it depends to their professors if they want to postponed their class or not. Yikes.

Noticing the stares we are receiving, I tap Sana's shoulder, prompting her to stop and I slide down her back. We continue our adventure of finding Jeongyeon's department's booth (she promised us free foods), dragging my tired feet to walk for I am close to collapse due to hunger and exhaustion. Should've just buy anything from our booth that walk across the field.

From two booths away I recognize a figure of someone holding a DSLR camera, lace dangling around their neck, smiling to the other person they are talking with, and suddenly my energy picks up. I run towards the person's direction, sneaking a hug and smack on her cheek from behind.

"Mitang!"

She jump in surprise, turning to face me without removing my hands around her waist. I laugh at her reaction.

"What are you doing?" She slaps my hands away, "I told you not to do that especially when we are in public." She lowly growls at me.

"I'm just happy to see you. Are you not happy to see me?" I say, smiling like an idiot. If only I have tail, you can see it wagging by now.

"Whatever." She rolls her eyes in annoyance. I pout at the cold response.

The bubble I've created bursts and it brings us back to reality. Mitang and I hear a gasps. I peek behind her shoulder to see our central student president and vice president have a baffled and surprise expressions, respectively. Vice president has he hand in front of her slightly ajar mouth, and wide eyes. She's completely shock, I can tell.

"You know—" "He kissed you!" the woman with a bunny teeth points at me then at Mina, then back at me. "—each other?" Jihyo finishes her sentence.

I tilt my head, scrutinizing the situation. I momentarily look at Mina who's like a deer caught red-handed. She's getting pale and hands frantically waving to say 'no'. Right, it's in her rules that we will act strangers in public. I smile sheepishly. I swallow the lump blocking my throat. Before I start my excuse, someone beat me to it.

"Mobeong-ssi! I told you she's not our Rosie." Sana swiftly jumps in, patting my back. She holds the back of my head, forcing me to bow with her. "I apologise on behalf of my friend."

Sana then whirls to face the person they were talking to earlier. "Jeongyeonie~ three order please." Says she, entering the tent to find unoccupied table.

I follow Sana inside, grinning at Jeongyeon, "Didn't see you there."

Jeongyeon's expression changes from shock to comical real quick. "What the-- what the heck are you wearing!?" she exclaims before bursting out laughing.

"She's paying." Dahyun tells the cook or, jabbing to Jeongie's direction as she follow suit. Jeongyeon stops laughing, choking at her saliva. This concern the rabbit-looking girl as she immediately pats Jeongyeon's back while she coughs her lungs out. Soon as Jeongyeon recovers she bids to Mina's group and walk towards our table with a serious face.

I thought she's going to complain for taking her words too seriously. Instead, she sits on the tool next to me then stares like she's waiting for something to unfold.

"Nothing comes for free," Yes. Typical Yoo Jeongyeon right there. "Spill the tea."

I roll my eyes, "nothing to spill because there's no tea in the first place." I say annoyed. I wish I could just tell them, especially Sana. I avoid Sana's eye contact.

"What was that, then? You kissed Mina— 'the' Myoui Mina—on the cheek."

"I thought she was Rose." I shrug.

"You don't kiss people."

"Oh, I do." I turn to her and pucker my lips with my eyes closed. I lock her head with my arms around her head so she won't try to run away from me. She retaliates by pushing my face.

The three of us laugh while Jeongyeon screams. And just like that, everything is back to normal.