Her First Love

You Are My Pet

MINA's POV

Being part of school publication were both exciting and exhausting, since you have to cover both the internal and external activities that include the university.

Just like right now, I'm in the central student council headquarters to gather information from the president and vice president about the preparation of the upcoming foundation day of the school. They just finished the meeting with the other members of the student council.

"I told you to ditch journalism club and join student council instead, but you never heed." I roll my eyes at Nayeon unnie, the student council's vice president, who is sipping on her tea. 

"I've been doing this since high school, unnie." I retorted back while checking on the photos I took earlier after the interview.

"Right, and I haven't seen you sleep properly."

"I was a trainee back then." I argue. The first time I joined the club, there was a screening for those who signed up and fortunately I passed. We were trained, went to journalism competitions in and out of the district, and then I became a coordinator in our school newspaper.

"As if some things has changed. Now, I don't wonder why you and Jihyo are best of friends." Nayeon unnie mocks. "You both love works so much."

"I know right. So why are you our friend?" Jihyo fires back. Nayeon unnie glares at her, but that didn't affect Jihyo as the girl continues, "she gives all her works to me. Now, I have a tons of things to do." She pointedly look at Nayeon unnie who just scoffs in return.

"That's why you're the PRESIDENT and I'm the VICE president."

"Yes, and you're supposed to help me as the VICE president."

I tune out from listening to them, and stand up from my seat, letting my eyes travel to the scenery through the window. The building where the central student council located is facing the open area of our school, where students would meet and hangout, this open field also served as school's soccer field with a track and field oval. Across this building is the highschool building that was a mile away from ours, since college buildings have separates buildings for each departments or courses. The college of humanities and science was behind this student center, near the graduate school where the touch of European landscape was more noticeable.

I straighten my stand when my eye caught a familiar figure. I almost borrow Nayeon unnie's eyeglasses and poked my head out of the window to see the person clearly, but it's like a wishful thinking knowing that I'm on the top floor of this building and the person is back-facing me. Besides, it is impossible, Momo is like a stray pup wandering around the place she's unfamiliar with.

Jihyo's voice what brings me back to the current situation. "Are you okay?"

I nod a ‘yes’ as I sip on my tea. My body relaxes at the taste and aroma of chamomile and walks back to the chair.

"You're still not used to our Minari, she do that all the time." Nayeon unnie says.

"Do what?"

"Zoning out." Did I? "Look, Mina. If some thing's bothering you, you can tell us. You know that right?" Unnie adds, concerned.

"I know that."

"Did something happen to you this past few weeks? At home? Or at your organization? Are your members ganging up on you that's why you're doing this yourself?"

I choke at 'ganging up', "woah! Woah there! One question at a time all right? But first, what do you mean ganging up?"

"I just thought they're bullying you to do all this news writing stuffs."

I roll my eyes at her. "No, unnie. And no, nothing happened to me."

Who am I joking? Of course, something happened few weeks ago, I adopted a human as a pet, and what more, a high school student who could pass as my younger sister and a minor.

It's been weeks since Momo came into my house and made a deal with me. I always think she's only kidding when she agreed, but she stayed in my house, she went out and came back home as though she resided there for years. And my house seemed to welcome her, recognize her, that every corner of it, Momo was part of that house. My house isn't the same anymore since Momo came, it was livelier and colorful.

I'm actually thankful of her being there with me when I broke down on that day I saw my ex-boyfriend, Jimin, as if I won't see him anymore. We went on the same University even though he was taking other major, there was still a fat chance to meet him. After that incident, Momo told me she speculated that the guy was the reason why I was drank that night, but what made me laugh was when she thought that Jimin was Ray, because she heard me talked in my sleep about Ray. Goodness, she thought Jimin is my dog, Ray. Ray would be a better guy than him if he were a human. That still have me a good laugh even now just by remembering it.

I glance at my watch, remembering Momo, I promised to cook her favorite food for dinner. Emptying the cup, I put it down carefully on top of the saucer on the table, excusing my self for the day. If you're wondering if my two best friends have any idea about it, no, they don't. Not that I didn't want any of them to nag at me because of Momo. Rather, I'm more afraid of what Nayeon unnie could do to Momo. She has this ability of her to intimidate people she didn't trust and like, and I don't think she will like Momo.

As soon as I got back to the journalism club's HQ, I hastily put my things back to my bag, and go out of the room. As I look at the photos in my camera, I accidentally bump into someone, I immediately bow saying my apology. I'm too embarrassed to face the person so I stay on that position for almost two minutes. But when they speak I snap my head up to see the owner of the deep manly voice.

My eyes almost bulge out of its socket seeing the tall person with a sun kissed skin, brown orbs staring directly at me as I watch his eyes grew big, y red lips forming an 'o'.

"Myoui Mina?" He exclaims

"Kim Jung In oppa..." I trail, shock to see him in the campus as well.

When we recovered, he let out a smile causing me to blush and I smile back, shyly. I have no idea why am I being like this, but this guy, who suddenly came out from nowhere is my first love.

I met him in a summer camp I attended during high school. After that meeting we kept in contact to each other for years, that was how I learned that he went to this university after graduating high school. So I took an exam in this University without hesitation with Nayeon unnie and Jihyo, fortunately we all passed and decided to enroll here besides the school wasn't bad, in fact, it was one of the best universities in the country. But when I got in, I received a news that he flew to Japan leading us to lose our communication and all (even the possibility of being his girlfriend).

"So, Mina-ssi do you have plans after school?" I hear him asks, bringing me back to reality.

Recalling the things I need to do, I shake my head. "Why?" My heart is beating so fast in nervousness, I could hear them against my ears, drumming.

"I'd like to invite you to have a coffee with me, y'know to catch up. If that is alright with you." He says smiling while scratching the back of his neck. I swear I saw a tint of pink in his cheeks!

"Sure."

We go to the cafe near our school. He let me order first, and I choos Ice Americano, it's my favorite drink. Aftering ordering his own, he lead us to a 2-seat table on the corner beside the glass wall, three seats away from the entrance door of the cafe, I sit on a chair facing the counter and the door. In case we fall in an awkward silence, at least I have something to do, like counting people that enters the establishment. Because I, myself, is not good in short talk.

I hang my tote bag on my chair, then my camera on the table. I start fiddling my thumbs under the table, eyes fix on the camera. I'm starting to regret agreeing to Jung In oppa's invitation. This is what I dread the most, I turn to a communication impaired person all my skills travels at the back of my head, hiding to the deepest part of it where I couldn't reach.

"So, Mina-ssi..." Jung-In starts, smiling.

"Y-ye-es?" Way to go, Myoui.

"How long has it been again since the last time we met? 3 years?" I nod. He softly laughs, and I think I'm dreaming, even his laugh is as y as his smile. "The last time was when we were both in high school."

Our connection stopped during my junior year in high school, after he informed me that he was going to this University, and all those times I had no idea that he was in abroad.

I nod, at this moment I don't trust my voice to not fail me because we all know what will happen. The waiter arrives with our orders, and I thank her when she put mine down.

"It's cute to see that you haven't changed."

I smile shyly. What should I respond to that? Thank you. You too, still handsome as ever.

We sit and talk for hours. Oppa told me about his life while he was in Japan. He was homeschooled, all the academic stuffs were sent by e-mail and vice versa just so he could still continue his study in our university while away. He said he came back because he wanted to finish his studies and also to look for his sister that went missing for two years now.

"What happened?" I ask, suddenly feeling nosy.

"I don't know. My parents said it was just a phase of her teenage life." He shrugs, but I can hear the worry in his voice. His eyes drift down at his drink. "But I found her already."

"Oh, that's good." I frown, mirroring his action. Am I too ert if I say that he looks hot frowning?

"I— she vanished from my line of sight all of a sudden." He says seemingly confused. Then he looks up at me, smiling all so beautifully. "Enough of me, how are you?"

I told him everything starting from when he left to today, though I'm shy at first, he treated me like a sister.

He treated me like a sister. That doesn't seem right to what I feel.

I feel a hand over my head. Looking over oppa, he ruffles my hair, causing me to pout. I'm in the middle of fixing my hair when I descry a familiar figure at the counter. I discreetly gaze over Jung-In oppa's shoulder only to get caught by him as he looks at his back, tracing my line of sight.

"What are you looking at? Do you know them?" He jerks his thumb on the three students wearing our senior high school's uniform, making a beeline on the counter.

I shake my head. "Where were we?" I asks politely, embarrassed that I get lost in our conversation for a moment.

"I wanna ask if you want to have dinner with me?"

————

I turn the knob cautiously. Hearing the click sound, I silently push the door. Closing my eyes shut upon entering the flat, nervous that Momo is mad at me for not fulfilling my promise. I forgot to tell her that I'm gonna come home late. Also my fault for not keeping the time on track.

Tiptoeing in the hallway to the living room, I hear the faint sound of the tv. Momo is still awake! Why is she awake at this hour? It's already past her bedtime.

Argh. Now, what should I tell her. Before I could even form a sentence in my head, Momo speak causing me to jump.

"Okaeri." She has a frown on her face. Is she angry?

I smile at her, forcefully. But her frown only deepens. What now? Ah, my smile is stiff and look awkward, I know! I also know that she is the only person who can see through me. Wonderful! Like she is gifted of an x-ray vision power.

"Have you eaten? Let me cook—"

"I already had my dinner, thank you. I'll head to my room now."

I flinch when she slams the door close. This girl... I didn't teach her to act like that. Well, Momo is a big girl, I left her money in case I have to get home late so she can buy her own food when I'm not around. Even so, I still feel bad for letting it slipped in my mind because I'm too immersed being around by Jung-In oppa.

I retire the day after taking a bath. Playing back the memories of earlier's occurrence with my first love. And soon the guilt I feel or Momo is replaced of happiness and dreams of being Jung-In oppa's woman.

My alarm goes off and I reach for it on my bedside table to turn off. Stretching, I begin to move out of my bed. Like any other day, it is quiet like how I want to spend my morning. After doing my routine, I head to the kitchen, I saw Momo's mug on the drainer, washed and cleaned. I wonder if she really ate something last night or today. Sigh.

I once reminded her to wake me up so I could cook her breakfast which she refused, telling me that she's fine without it. Knowing her, she couldn't survive a day missing that important meal of the day.

Living with Momo, I only know a few things about her. You could say that she is a secretive type of person, but also a talkative one. Like, that one time she told me about her grade school days, one of her classmate happened to bumped her that caused her to accidentally banged her head on the wall and bled. I shudder at the image of little Momo's head full of blood.

I get up after eating, grinning widely at the thought of seeing Jung-In oppa at school. On my way out to the parking lot, I frown at the particular post in the announcement board.

ANNOUNCEMENT:
NO PETS ALLOWED

Signed by Yours truly.

I roll my eyes at that. He can just state his name, but he has to do this. And now, thinking about it, I..
 do not know his name. Oh, well, like that I care.

"Good morning, Myoui-ssi." A deep raspy voice greets me and I turn to come across with my landlord's questioning eyes that reflects mine. I greet him back with a slight bow along with a monotone "Morning ahjussi."

"Has this post been here?"
 
The old man furrows. "Yes. Almost a month now," he says, lifting a forefinger to point the upper right side of the paper where the date is written.

The announcement was posted the same day I found Momo at the footsteps of this building and she has been staying at my house for nearly a month now. Never thought I could deal living with another being aside myself.

"Why?" I don't mean my voice to appear cold but it comes out like that. And now, the old man freezes on his spot, a little shaken. Sensing that he is not going to answer any minute now, I bid my goodbye and walk out of the annex.

——

School isn't that eventful today. Jihyo and Nayeon unnie arw busy with the council's work. Jong-in oppa is also busy with her rehearsal for his Public Speaking Competition, I can't wait for it.

I went home early so I can cook Momo's favourite food, jokbal, for dinner. It's already 6 in the evening, and she's not home yet. I wonder where she went...

I fish the phone on my pocket to call Momo, but I remember I don't have her contact number. She doesn't have a phone either! Stupid of me.

30 minutes have passed when I hear the door open, and I expectantly look at the doorway, waiting for Momo to appear. And my expectation does not reach the bottom when I see her in her usual muscle tee beneath her jacket, and a pair of jean pants.

She...

 

Did not look my way.

 

Why?

 

Are pets allowed to be like this to their owner?