Tokens

A Little Thing Called Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

There was a shuffle of classes after the winter break. There were about a hundred students in their year, distributed in four class sections. Somehow, Taemin was always with Jonghyun and Jinki for the past 1 year and a half. The teachers hadn’t changed their distribution when they changed years but now they probably had to, due to the change in staff. After the shuffle… there was no one in Taemin’s class that he knew enough to talk to. He knew a few names, maybe he had greeted them in passing… but that was it. 

 

He had to strike off that thought when Haneul had walked in, but the guy just ignored him as always. Taemin also didn’t pay him any heed and began unpacking his bag. Their class teacher wasn’t very strict. Taemin had been under his supervision since freshman year and knew how the teacher handled things. The teacher had allowed everyone to sit wherever they wanted but had announced to choose carefully as he wouldn’t let them change places for the rest of the year and warned them not to cause trouble because then he’d change the troublemakers’ seats to the front row.

 

Taemin was pretty early to class and had been able to grab his favorite seat– the seat near the window in the last row. Usually, it was Jinki who sat beside him and Jonghyun sat in front with whoever occupied the empty seat beside him. Since they were an odd number of students in the class, the spot next to Jonghyun remained vacant almost every time their seating was allowed to be shuffled. Taemin glanced around, finding almost every seat occupied and Taemin hoped that this time also their class had an odd number of students so the seat beside him could remain vacant. 

 

Every seat except the one next to Taemin’s was filled and the teacher had started the roll call. Taemin sighed, relaxing… but the breath that he had been letting out got stuck somewhere because right then Minho had walked into class, apologizing for being late.

 

The teacher let him in, asked him to find a seat… and obviously, obviously, Minho was heading to the one next to Taemin. Taemin immediately looked away, turning pages in his notebook, searching for a pen in his pouch, searching for a sharpener next, his heart thumping wildly as he could focus on nothing but the soft sounds Minho made while settling beside him.

 

“Hi, Taemin.”

 

Taemin almost dropped the pen he was holding, taken aback at the soft whisper he had heard. He turned towards Minho, “Hi.” He managed to whisper back, feeling a little mushy inside at his handsome almost-dimpled smile.

 

The class started and Minho turned his gaze to the teacher. Taemin also had tried to focus on class but his eyes met Haneul’s, who was glaring at him, his expression so spiteful. 

 

Taemin ignored him and started to focus on the lesson… but his attention had barely lasted a few seconds… not only because his crush was sitting right beside him, but also because he had been struck with a realization when he had spotted Haneul.

 

“I bet he doesn’t even know your name. Or know that you exist.”

 

Taemin smiled, busying himself in taking down notes, only to find his pen inserted into the pencil sharpener. He quickly pulled it out, flustered, and wrote down the date before moving onto writing out the formulae, uncaring that he had probably noted them wrong… because at the moment, there was nothing he could process, too caught up in the fact that Minho knew his name. Minho knew he existed.

 

Somehow, such a tiny thing meant everything for the little flutter in his heart.


 

 

 

 

Jonghyun and Jinki had knowing smiles when Taemin came to the music room that day. They had spotted Taemin’s seating arrangement during the break and Taemin just couldn’t stand their annoying smiling and their silence that was teasing him somehow.

 

“It’s just– he’s just my deskmate.”

 

“He’s just your deskmate.” Jonghyun repeated in a sing-song tone, “For now.”

 

Taemin just pursed his lips, taking a seat on the piano bench, watching Jonghyun tune his guitar and Jinki hum, slowly strumming his guitar. Jonghyun had not only been helping Taemin, but also teaching Jinki but today Jinki was going to play a song he had learnt all by himself from Jonghyun’s long playlist of old songs.

 

“Taemin, support me,” Jinki whispered and Taemin the bench, opening the folder in front and finding a sheet already ready for him to follow. He smiled, recognizing the song but it wasn’t on Jonghyun’s playlist because it didn’t quite use the electric guitar.

 

He started playing and Jinki too and Jonghyun stopped tuning his guitar, surprised at the song. 

 

Jinki had also started singing catching the correct beat, his voice slow and demure.

 

Why do birds suddenly appear
Every time you are near?
Just like me, they long to be
Close to you

 

Jonghyun sat down, unable to hold his smile, watching him sing.

 

Why do stars fall down from the sky
Every time you walk by?
Just like me, they long to be
Close to you

 

Jonghyun cursed when Jinki continued, smiling and he averted his gaze

 

On the day that you were born the angels got together
And decided to create a dream come true
So they sprinkled moon dust in your hair of gold and starlight in your eyes of blue
That is why all the girls in town
Follow you all around

 

Taemin had stopped playing and it was only Jinki’s guitar and his voice as he finished,
 

Just like me, they long to be
Close to you

 

“That was…” Jonghyun was overwhelmed as he started, “So sweet.”

 

Jinki cleared his throat, “Because you said slow songs didn’t suit me so I tried this one out.”

 

“Yeah, right.” Jonghyun dragged his stool closer to Jinki, “By the way, I never said slow music didn’t suit you, I just meant rock ‘n roll suited you more, in my eyes. You know,” He bit his lip, a little flushed at his own imagination, “If you ever played Sweet child o’ mine, that would be… damn.”

 

Jinki chuckled, ruffling his hair, “Your intentions are leaking on your face, babe.”

 

Taemin fake-coughed, hitting a few keys on the piano and both of them flinched, breaking from their moment, “I’m still here, guys.”

 

Jonghyun pinched Jinki’s cheek, whispering, “Stop provoking me.” and he went back to his place.

 

“Ow,” Jinki said before he looked at Taemin, “You did a good job, Tae.”

 

“Yeah,” Jonghyun affirmed, “For a first attempt that was crazy good.”

 

Taemin turned, closing the piano as he got up and he bowed to them gracefully, laughing as he grabbed his bag.

 

“Leaving so early?” Jonghyun asked and Taemin just nodded, leaving in rather high spirits and Jonghyun looked at Jinki instead, who answered for Taemin.

 

“There’s soccer practice today.”


 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter