Silly Things

A Little Thing Called Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

You're just too good to be true
Can't take my eyes off of you
You'd be like heaven to touch
I wanna hold you so much


 

Jonghyun was snoring on the way to school, slumped completely against Taemin, and Taemin didn’t have the heart to shake him off, despite it being uncomfortable. It was so early, around 7.30 and there was still almost an hour before they got to school. Jinki, who was sitting behind them, chuckled when Jonghyun’s snore came out more like a snort, loud and resonating in the drowsy air of the school bus.

 

Almost everyone had snickered, except for one– another guy in the same row as Taemin– asleep as well, long legs uncomfortably fitted in the leg space, his head resting against the glass. Taemin shifted his glasses and pulled down his cap before he rested his head on the glass as well, concealing the act of him watching the guy’s faint reflection on his side of the glass. The music playing in his earphones was making him pleasantly queasy, expressing notions that he himself couldn’t.

 

Pardon the way that I stare
There's nothin' else to compare
The sight of you leaves me weak
There are no words left to speak


 

Somehow, the chaos inside his head came to a peaceful halt, watching him like this, making him more aware of the building chaos inside him. Jonghyun’s question had unleashed it on him, the realization of something that had been building by itself, bit by bit, day after day. Something that sometimes felt like a mountain, sometimes like a house of cards.

 

Watching him play soccer almost everyday, realizing how he became attentive whenever there was a mention of his name, watching him goof around with the team after soccer practice, intentionally taking the longer route to the Chemistry lab only to be able to pass by his class, catching him fidgeting with his camera discreetly under the desk and finding it adorable when he’d flinch and smile apologetically on being caught.

 

Taemin understood every little thing he had been doing and now found himself doing them even more, and all of them just embedded the fact more… that Jonghyun was right.

 

The bus had stopped, making everyone lurch ahead, waking everyone, even Jonghyun. “Oh, no, sorry.” He mumbled, straightening up and Taemin went back to his original position, watching him yawn as he straightened up as well, ruffling his hair as he waved, spotting his friend get on the bus.

 

Taemin couldn’t help but be enamored, watching how his lips curved up handsomely, that little, faint almost-dimple appearing on the side of his cheek. 

 

“So, it’s him.”

 

He heard Jonghyun’s sleepy whisper. Taemin turned to look at him but Jonghyun had rested back, eyes closed, the little smile he had been wearing, fading as he drifted back asleep again.

 

Taemin sighed, leaning back against the window, catching him in the reflection again, Yes, it’s him.


 


 

 

I got my first real six-string
Bought it at the five-and-dime

 

“Oh!” Jinki suddenly exclaimed, halting Jonghyun’s song, turning to Taemin, who had been sitting on the piano bench, listening, “Is this why your aunt’s music shop is called Five&Dime?”

 

“Yeah.” Taemin smiled and Jonghyun stepped closer to where Jinki was sitting, tuning his guitar.

 

“This is why I’m trying to educate you in old songs. They are gold.” He punched his arm, lowering his voice, “I can’t believe my boyfriend who plays the guitar too, knows nothing about the songs.”

 

“I know them but don’t really know know them. Anyways,” Jinki tugged the hem of Jonghyun’s untucked shirt, smiling when Jonghyun turned to him again, “I’ll educate myself properly. Promise.”

 

Jonghyun cleared his throat, suppressing his smile as he stepped back, playing the song again and this time even Jinki joined midway, looking at the music sheets Jonghyun had prepared for him, getting hold of the notes and strings pretty easily.

 

I got my first real six-string
Bought it at the five-and-dime
Played it 'til my fingers bled
Was the summer of '69
Me and some guys from school
Had a band and we tried real hard
Jimmy quit, Jody got married
I should've known we'd never get far

Oh, when I look back now
That summer seemed to last forever
And if I had the choice
Yeah, I'd always wanna be there
Those were the best days of my life

 

“Taemin, you’ve got such a nice voice,” Jonghyun said in awe because Taemin had yielded to their melody and had sung along. He never sang out loud. Maybe just a little in the shower.

 

“Why did she choose Five&Dime, though?” Jinki hadn’t been able to get that little detail off his mind.

 

“Her husband asked her to marry her when they had gone to a concert and this song was being performed.” Taemin explained, “Not by Bryan Adams, just a local band covering him but… yeah. It’s their song, as she calls it.”

 

“That’s sweet.” Jonghyun smiled, “Just imagine if someone confesses by singing you a song.”

 

“That will be cheesy AF.” Jinki cringed. “I’d rather be told to my face.”

 

“Killjoy. Anyway, no one was asking you.” Jonghyun frowned, turning to Taemin, “What about you, Taemin? What kinda song would you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter