Dreams

Winning The Goddess

Little Wendy-nians are running wild in her head. Thumping pans and pots shouting alarming texts. She was freaking out but she had to remain still

 

 


Why in the world is Irene in this bus with you

 

 


She looked down next to her. Noticing how Irene had took a seat next to you and was holding tight to the little of your sleeve.

 

 


What the fffff- has she always been this clingy??

 


I mean, don't stop but -  ???!!!!!

 

 


She stood still but in her head she was flashing back to the time she last left the house.

Was the room clean? Did I do the dishes? Wait did I sweep the squashed cockroach yesterday?

She shifted uncomfortable on her seat, but then Irene moved her hand that was holding the sleeve upwards, so that they were holding hands now. Palm to palm.


That's it.

Little Wendy-nians had already left the room. They were gone.

No thoughts head empty.


"I'm starving" She said softly looking at Wendy.


"Oh? You are? I - I got groceries left at home so I can whip you up something?"


Irene smiled and tighten the hold on her hand, "I'd like that"

 

 

 

 

The walk to her house was torturous to Wendy. The only affordable house was basically 2 kilometres away from the bus stop. Of course to her it's nothing but now having Irene waking alongside her, she just feels so bad. She kept glancing her way wondering if she's tired or not. The thought to offer a piggyback ride from her even crossed her mind but she stayed quiet.


"So - this is it.." she said gesturing to the old building, "They owner said I could have the rooftop building at a discount price if I watered their plants everyday so I just had to" she mumbled unlocking the small rusted gate that lead to a stairs, "It's a bit of a climb.."


"I don't mind" Irene said with a smile already going through the stair and walking up the stairs.

Wendy smiled sheepishly and followed her from behind. Her grin getting wider and wider at the realisation that her actual crush is going to her house.

 


Wendy pushed the door open wide and the light.

The house was actually an 'I' shape house. It was petite and had only one door that it seems to lead to the bathroom, Irene thinks.

The first thing you would see after the door opened would be the small kitchen area. There was a small sink and next to it was an old mini refrigerator. At the side was a mini stove gas burner. The ones Irene would see people use to go camping with. And there was a long Wooden Japanese dining table. The one you would have to sit on the floor to dine on. And at the corner of the room was a old rugged mattress on the floor.


"You can have a seat on the bed while I get started in the kitchen" Wendy said rolling up her sleeves. There wasn't many option left. She didn't really have a chair to offer. She would always study on the dining table sitting on the floor.


Irene walked in and dropped her tote bag next to her before taking a seat at the end of the bed.


"Do you want any help? I'm not the best in the kitchen but I can-"


"No, No" she said looking down at Irene with a grin, "no wife of mine will ever lift a finger"


Irene rolled her eyes but still couldn't stop her small smile, "You're very confident, aren't you?"


Wendy giggled tying up her shoulder length hair. Turning her focus to the kitchen taking out a cutting board, "Oh yes. I have you on my bed right now, don't I?"

 

 

 

 


After a while of chopping vegetables, Wendy turned to Irene who was just busy staring at her while hugging her legs to her chest, "You mind I open some music?"


Irene shook her head as an answer shifting her focus to the neat mattress she was sitting.
Wendy grabbed her phone and opened up her playlist and while she stirred her curry, Jessie J's Who You Are played in the background.

 

 


Irene took a quick glance on the delicious food on the table. Two plates of rice curry. Streamingly hot.
Wendy handed her the utensils with a bright smile and pushed her a cold drink to her side.


She mumbled her thanks and started to dig in. After a while of comfortable silence, "You could at least make your resting area a bit better" Irene said and that got Wendy to look up from her plate. full, "I think it's your pillow. It's so hard? I'll buy a new one the one that has those memory foam and can help -"


".. What?"


Irene looked up suprised at the broken voice. Wendy's face was conflicted between hurt and confused. Irene looked down to her plate suddenly nervous," Seulgi told me.. About your - past? And the troubles you have to sleep ",  she said slowly head still looking down. When no response had come she looked back up and saw that Wendy was looking at her with an empty face.

Irene stared into her eyes searching for anything. Something.

Wendy broke the eye contact with continuing her meal. Irene stared as Wendy took small bites in silence. She didn't have any choice but to do same. They continued to eat in silence untill they had finished their plate.


"I'll do the dishes-" Irene tried but Wendy had already grabbed the plate infornt of her and her own, already walking to the sink without saying anything.

 

 


Both of then continued to sat in silence after Wendy had finished drying off the plates. Irene shifted uncomfortably on her seat, taking a short glance at her wrist watch


"Aren't you going to prepare yourself for bed?"


Irene tried to get Wendy to look at her but the girl was still looking at her clasped hands, "No. I have to send you off first"

 


"Well I'm going to the washroom and get myself ready for bed" She said angrily heading to the toilet.
For once Wendy looked up and saw her back heading to wash up. She sighed and got up.

 

 

 


When Wendy was done in the toilet, she went out after shutting out the light and saw that Irene was already laying on the far side of the mattress. Leaving a small space for her.

Wendy sighed and slowly moved and laid down next to her. An invisible gap between the two of them.

The silence was killing Irene and she couldn't see if Wendy had fallen asleep or not.

 

Curse this dark room.

 

She shifted, turned to face Wendy. Using her arm as a pillow to look at her feature. Wendy laid there facing the ceiling. Irene continued to stare at her, feeling herself starting to get sleepy when Wendy suddenly said, "Is it pity?"


All the sleep Irene had before now gone. Confused by the question, "I was really excited to have you here. But now...to know that you're here because you felt sorry for me -- I dont'-"


"It's not pity, Wendy" Irene said in the dark


".. Then why are you here" she asked softly.


Irene sighed and moved closed to Wendy, "I'm here because I want to help. No one has to suffer alone. And I'm here to show you that you are not alone. Do-- do you want to talk about it? Some people say that talking it out helps?" she tried, scared for her reaction.


When Wendy continued to stay silent she tried again, " How about this? You let me stay here for the night and each day, I'll tell you something about me"


Irene tried baiting her. During their 2 years of exchanging texts, Wendy had often tried to know more about her but Irene would often change the topic. She just prays that even after these years Wendy would still be interested. Her heart thumps fearing that she would be rejected when Wendy softly said, ".. Like what?"


And that got Irene to smile. Happy that her plan worked, "I'm 23 years old" she said with a grin. Not that Wendy could see it with how damn dark it is in this room, but she didn't care. She was just so excited.


Wendy scoffed, "I already know that" her lips forming a smile


"Wait- How?"


Wendy laughed at the ceiling, "I may or may not have bribed Solar for the information"

 


Curse that girl

 


"Anything else?" Wendy tried


"Nope. That's for another day" she said with a smirk facing away from Wendy ready to go to sleep.


"What? No, that unfair. I already knew that" she said with a high pitch voice turning to look at Irene.


"That's not my problem. How would I know you bribed my friend" she giggled already closing her eyes.


"That's.. That's fair" she said calming herself down. Shifting her position.

For the first time in awhile.

She tried to sleep.

 

 

 

 

The sounds of hurried footsteps got Irene to stir in her sleep. She slightly opened her right eyes, wincing a little at the bright room. She was greeted with an anxious Wendy pacing around stuffing books into her bag.


".. Wendy?" she said slowly scratching her eye. Wendy stopped her movement and looked at Irene, "Did you sleep?"


Wendy scoffed at the question. Finding the girl unbelievable. "I overslept. I'm late for my calculus class" she hastily said continued stuffing her pencil case into the bag.


"I have to go, Irene. You can help yourself with anything in the fridge ok?"


Irene hummed sleepily, "I'll see you tonight" she said before Wendy closed the door.

She smiled alone. Holding her bag strap tightly, feeling oddly refreshed.

 

 

 

 

==========================================
Weeks has passed and Irene had never failed to hold on to her promises. Sometimes she would come by bringing different things with her. The other day she came into the door with a memory foam pillow tucked under her arm. While the other day she brought scented candles, ones that are said to help insomnia.

After weeks had passed her bed side of the room had already looked oddly different. She would often smile alone looking at the huge difference before and after Irene had interfered. And not to mention with how much new information about the girl she had gotten. How she was actually trying very hard to be an announcer but she often failed so she had to work as a cashier to afford staying in Seoul. How she didn't want to worry her parents in Daegu. How she would call her mother everyday without missing. And last night she learned the most shocking fact about her, how she didn't enjoy chicken and also coffee.

 


I mean what

 


But these past 3 days Irene was unable to come by as she said she had some trouble with her house and roomate so she couldn't come over. Wendy had said that they was nothing to worry about and that she was sleeping well. Complimenting on how the scented candles helped.


But that was all a lie as the clock had shown that it was 3am in the morning and Wendy was sitting on the table doing revisions.

But Irene didn't have to know about that, when suddenly the locked door suddenly turned. Wendy stared at the door scared.

When the door opened it was Irene.

When she saw Wendy not on bed she glared at her. Closing the door behind her, a bit louder than she intended.


".. How - how did you get in?"


"Joy gave me her spare key to your house, but that's not important" she said dropping next to Wendy slamming her textbook shut. "Why aren't you in bed? Why - why did you lie to me?"


Wendy looked down to the hand holding the pencil feeling bad to look at her. Irene tried again but this time a bit softy, "Why are you working so hard, Wendy? Is it because of the CEO thing? You know you don't have to go that far, I-you can.. Try asking me out again Wendy" she said with a blush.


Its finally here.

She was finally going to admit that she was falling for her. CEO or not, she had already fallen in love with the girl.

 


Wendy stared at her face with a sad face, "The dreams.. They--" she sighed looking back downwards. Irene moved closer and grabbed her hands, helping her a little, "I work hard because that's the only way for me to survive. Did you know that when couples wanted to adopt they'd have to look at the kid's medical record first? Something about to understand their allergies. Mine had acute insomnia on it, a type of severe insomnia. And who would want to adopt a kid that couldn't even sleep, am I right?" she chuckled bitterly. 


"I mean it's not like I never tried.. It's-- it's the dreams.. Whenever I would try to close my eyes I would suddenly think about my dad. His car crashed in a secluded area. It took hours for them to finally find his flipped car.. And - and everytime I close my eyes I'd imagine how long my dad had suffered. How long did he breathe and was it hurting him hanging upside down like how they had found him. And did he.. Did I ever crossed his mind as he took his last breath" she said shakily. A tear had dropped.


"I know I shouldn't blame him for dying but they left me alone. Everybody did. Even my own mother left me behind. I never knew when she had stopped loving be but she did." Wendy now her vision clouded with tears. Her shoulder shook as she cried her eyes out.


"I would never leave you, Wendy"


"They ALL did. All the kids at the orphanage center went to their new families leaving me alone. If my own mother left me behind how can I belive there's someone that would stay." she said harshly pulling her hands away from Irene to wipe at her own tears,

"I work hard.. Because I want to survive. I knew I had zero chance of being adopted as I grew older. Teens had lower chance of being picked so I learned. Crazily. I got a scholarship so I could leave the centre. Now I'm working hard so I can get a job that would pay well so future me could buy all the happiness she need." Wendy took a shaky breath. Her face fully wet with tears.

This was it.

She had finally done it.

She had made another person uncomfortable and now she had pushed away the one good thing she had in her life.


" I would never leave you, Wendy" Irene repeated.

She took her hand and went to cup Wendy's cheek. Wiping the fallen tears away. "I would never stop loving you and make you question whether I still care for you or not. I would be a promise to you that I would stay with you, broken or not."


That broke Wendy and she broke into tears again. Gripping the hands on her cheek tightly, holding it close. She cried loudly her shoulder shook with each choking sob.


Irene ignored her own fallen tear and moved Wendy's face slowly so that she would face her, "and since you're not asking, I would do it myself" she said bringing her face close to Wendy to rest her forehead on her's.


"Wendy. Would you like to be my girlfriend?"


Wendy choked on her tears again feeling another tear coming down and nodded,

"I'd like that very much"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A short chapter today to get some things cleared. I know I promised a long one, so sorry to disappoint guys :(
I'll work harder for the next one I promise. I hope you enjoyed this one. I hope I managed to break some hearts with this ehehehe. Do tell me what you guys think about this. I'll try to hear to some of your suggestions! And side note, earlier I said that Irene was 5 years older and I'm taking it back, it just seemed ridiculous so yeah. Have a good day everyone!