Bouquet

Winning The Goddess

"Has anyone seen my socks?!"


"Wait! Wait! Where's my left shoe?!"


Chaos erupted inside their shared room as Seulgi paced around throwing their dirty laundry searching for her lucky socks.

Meanwhile Joy was pacing around jumping on one feet holding the leg with a shoe on looking for the missing one.

Wendy stood in front of the mirror trying to clean herself up, but honestly her head is just memorising all the formulas. A groan escaped from Seulgi's mouth failing to find her socks. She's even opening their mini fridge to look for it.

 


What the Seul

 


A sudden loud laugh came when their main door opened and came in Yerim holding three lunchboxes, "Good morning exam takers!", she yelled with her arm raised up like she was here to spread a new religion.


"Woah Yerim you're up early?" asked Wendy ignoring the sound of Seulgi now opening the window.

 


Again what the Seul

 


"Of course it's an absolute tradition for a family members to pack CSAT students their lunchboxes. And because we're all sad and depressed students forced to stay in this hostel, I thought I would be the one to make you guys one!" she yelled grabbing Seulgi by her collar making her stop pacing around and to actually take the yellow lunchbox.


Joy came over and grabbed her green one while the blue one was Wendy's.


The trio said their thanks and was excited to see the content. Wondering what they did in their past lives to have such a kind hearted junior.


Seulgi smiled and said, "Thank you so much Yerimie you're - oh", her facial expression immediately dropped when she saw what was inside. It had two store bought triangle kimbap with a small juice box. And behind the cover of the lunchbox was a sticky note with a writing of a bank account and below it was a cursive writing of '17.90 pay me back xoxoxo'


Joy scoffed and grimaced before looking up to Yerim, "You know the least you could do is try"
"Oh man I got chicken floss anyone have squid to trade with me?" Wendy said


"Oh me, I'll take that one. Here" Joy gave her one of her triangle kimbap and took the one offered. Seulgi glanced at Joy's, "Can I have your chicken mayo?"


"Are you a monster?"


Seulgi pouted at Joy hating her tuna mayo.


"Here Seul you can have mine" said Wendy already offering her's.


Both of them look at Wendy's lunchbox seeing that her's was free from sticky notes, "Hey why don't Wendy have to pay you back?" asked Joy loudly looking straight at Yerim.


"Special discounts for broke friends"


"Hey!"


"Besides I'm sure she can pay me back in the future after looking at that last week" Yerim said lazily pointing at Wendy's side of her room. Her wall plastered with printed picture of CEO with markers drawn on it are encouraging texts, 'YOU CAN DO IT!'


But the thing is all those posters had her face plastered on the head.

Poorly edited if you ask Yeri.


Wendy giggled and went to ruffle Yerim's head making her chuckle too. After all of them had settled down and ready to go, Yerim asked them, "Wait, aren't you guys nervous?"


Wendy scoffed, "Of course not. I have the power of God, Anime and Irene on my side"


".. Who?" Yerim asked looking at Joy for some help. She just closed her eyes and shook her head begging her not to ask further.


"Who?? Of course my living Asami Sato-"


".. What?" she said searching for answers from Seulgi while Wendy continued to ramble on. But sadly, only got the same response as Joy.


"I'll work super hard and become a CEO and become her avatar Korra"

 


The trio took their seperate ways from Yerim and walked to the exam hall. All the exam takers face are tense and scared. But not Wendy. She smiled as she took her step inside. And when no one was looking,she took out the 7 eleven name tag and pinned it on her chest.

Right where its close to her heart.

 

 

 

 


After packing up her pencils and pens she grabbed her bag and followed the river of students of the exam hall. As ridiculous as it sounds, the Sun actually made her wince a little for how long she stayed in there and how much she poured all her effort.

When she walked outside she was greeted with student hugging their parents and getting flowers left and right. Wendy smiled bitterly and adjusted her bag strap and went ahead.


"Hey, Wen!" Seulgi's voice stopped her and when she looked she was holding a huge bouquet and her parents and brothers standing beside her.


"Congratulations in there", she said with a smile
Wendy gave her a small smile, "You too, Seul"


Her father's voice got her to turn her head from Wendy. He was asking for where would Seulgi like to have her celebratory Jajjangmyun. Her brother was giving ideas of tasty restaurants, when Seulgi asked, "Wait, I'm gonna ask my friend if she wants to-" she turned to look for Wendy but she was already gone.

The spot where she stood now empty.

 

 

 

 

 


Irene just keyed in her punch card and was starting to open up the counter when a family came in. It was the bear looking friend Wendy always walked with. She had a huge bouquet in her hand and her father? Irene thinks, rushed inside looking for drinks while her brother wanted to buy some chips. Seulgi looked at her way and gave her a sad smile. Irene awkwardly smiled back as Seulgi made her way to the counter.


"So, heading for some Jajjangmyun?" Irene asked as Seulgi stood across her. 


"Yeah.. We just stopped from some snacks" she answered looking down.


Irene awkwardly nod. Clearly uncomfortable with the silence, "So I guess Wendy's with her family too then? Having some black bean noodles together?"
Seulgi bit on her lip and sighed, "She.. Uh- she's an orphan."


Irene's eyes went wide at that and Seulgi continued not getting any response from the cashier, "her father died when she was 6 in car accident. Her parents weren't really the closest back then.. After her dad died her mom - she.. When she woke up one day her mother's room was empty and there was only a note that had contact number to an orphanage center.."


Irene stood there numb. Not really sure what to answer," she has been living alone going from ophange to orphanage. It was our first time seeing her in the dorm. We were sent to stay there to focus on our studies. But Wendy.. She-
She lived there. She had earned a scholarship with the school and they came into an agreement if she would study well, they would let her live there until she graduated.."


Seulgi had to stop as her father was behind her wanting to pay for his drinks. Seulgi moved aside and wiped her tears quickly. Irene was still shocked but went to work on the counter.

 

 


The family had left but not before Seugi giving her a sad smile before going out the door.


After a moment of silence, Irene stood there staring at nothing still processing the new information.

 

 

 

 

 


The room was for once pure silence as sat on her chair working on her laptop alone. Joy was out with her family enjoying their time when she checked her Instagram feed. She smiled looking at all the smiley faces she and her family had on the picture. She shut her phone and focused on her task.

On her table had bunch of envelopes of future scholarships provided for her university. She went over her options, searching the web for the best ones.


'medical school.. No too far from here and they only provide dorm facilities for the first years and the houses around there to rent is absolutely pricey' she said tossing the blue envelope away. She needed the one that she can afford.

Granted they would fund her studies but what about her living expenses. She went through another envelope searching the location for a cheap rental housing near it.

 

After awhile she looked up from her laptop, stretching her neck. She looked around the room and felt a tear coming but she stopped herself. It was always just something wrong with the concept of 'Home'.

She never had one.

She had jumped from different types of orphanages and youth centre. During festive seasons all the students would pack their bags to go back home. And that includes both Seulgi and Joy. But not Wendy. She had no home to go back to.

Granted they would often invite her over to spend Christmas with their families but of course Wendy would reject the idea. There was just something wrong with intruding a family having their time of their lives togather.

Wendy rested her head on her two hands and sighed. She got up from her chair and went to stand at the mirror. She looked down and saw some family was still celebrating and taking pictures. All with a bouquet in their hands. Wendy looked down and smiled warmly, her empty hand suddenly felt heavy. She sighed one last time and turned going to their kitchen to make herself a ramen.

 

 

 

 

==========================================
"Are you really not throwing this out?" asked Solar lazily at Irene


"It's not bothering you isn't?" Irene said and glared at her friend


"No. But it's been days and this take a lot of space and I don't know if you've noticed? We don't have enough room to walk around in" Solar sarcastically said pointing at behind the counter.


Irene ignored her friend and patiently looked out the door, waiting for a particular girl to appear. It had been days from her last visit and Irene was starting to get worried.


Solar had went outside dealing with the monthly supply truck and Irene stayed to look over the counter. Suddenly the chime sound broke and came in Wendy wearing a black hoodie. Wendy walked over to the counter grabbing some gums and smiled at Irene.


"You know you don't necessarily have to buy anything everyday"


"Yeah?"


Irene nodded, "You could just come and we could have a chat" she nervously said looking under the counter.


Wendy chuckled and said how she would like that very much. She was expecting from some more conversations but then the cashier had lened down taking something under the counter


"Here" she said holding a big bouquet towards Wendy.


Wendy went numb staring dumbly at the flower. Her eyes were wide and she couldn't move.


Irene's hand was starting to get sore for holding it out for so long but then Wendy smiled a little.
She took the offered flowers into her hand and bitterly chuckled, "If you were trying to make me stop liking you, then you are doing a very bad job" she said looking back at Irene.


The cashier's heart was torn when she saw the sad look on the girl's face. She wanted nothing to bring back the energetic vibe this girl would give.


"It's just a small congratulatory gift, Wendy. Nothing more" she said looking at her feet. When she got no respond from the girl, she nervously looked up.

Wendy had the biggest grin on her face. But still her eyes showed a hint of sadness,


"You said my name.."


Irene's eyes went wide at the realization and stammered.


"Wow this day couldn't get any better" she said sniffing the bouquet smiling at Irene.


Irene sighed and shook her head giving her a small smile.

 


"So.. What are your plans after this?" she asked after clearing .


Wendy smiled still holding the bouquet close to her heart, "Well the plan to wife you still stands" she said enjoying the glare she got from Irene in return
"but we finished handing over our university applications. And after the results are out and we pass its swift sailing after that"


Irene nodded her head when Wendy continued, "I'm planning to take Economy since numbers are my strongest suit. I plan to open up a Financial company and be the CEO you desire" she said with a grin


"I never said that"


Wendy chuckled and took something out from her pocket. "If I have this with me, honestly nothing can stand my way" she said holding up Irene's name tag.


"Oh really?" Irene said voice filled with sarcasm.

"Then I guess you can give me back that piece of paper in the bouquet"


"The what -" Wendy asked questionly as she grabbed the bouquet to her face examining it. She saw a single rolled paper note and grabbed it. When she opened it up she was left speechless, ".. No way"


"Nope. Give it back to me" Irene said holding out her hand for the paper that had her number scribbled on it.


"No!" Wendy said hugging all the item protectively. A new customer came in making the chime sound appear.


Irene shook her head, "Go home Wendy. There's customers so move"


"I'll - I'll text you", she said making way to the tall dude behind her, "I promise I won't bother you. It's just to tell you my number"


Irene scoffed grabbing the Gatorade on the counter, "Go home, Wendy" she said with a smile taking the cash and keying it into the counter.


"Wait for me ok! Bye Irene! " she yelled running out the store. Holding the bouquet and gripping the purple note tightly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

___________________________________________________
A year and and a half had passed and they had continously texted each other. Of course Irene kept her reply minimum but that doesn't stop Wendy. Her visit to the store has been decreasing because the girl had been so busy. But sometimes she would just walk by and wave and if time allowed, she would drop by and gave Irene a lunchbox, something about her small apartment had a kitchen area.

Wendy was definitely feeling sad that she had become a University student. Away from her bestfriends and away from Irene. But she often took a picture of the sky everytime it looked pretty to her.

She would send it to Irene saying how she feels a lot better that they were under the same sky and if Irene would to look up, they would be looking at the same sky. To others it may seem sappy but honestly, Irene enjoyed the sky pictures.

After awhile she even started taking them and giving them to Wendy. But of course with no captions - but still, it was something to Wendy.

 

 

 

 

Two years had passed and Wendy had turned 20. Irene's phone chimed alerting a new message had come. She picked it up and it was from Wendy


'Coming by with Seul and Joy for drinks'


Irene went wide eye and hastily dropped her phone and turned to the mirror to fix her hair. She looked over her face wondering if she should apply more lipstick when a customer cleared his throat begging for her attention.

 

 


The trio had taken their place outside the prepared table and stool outside the store with beers and soju bottle laying on the table. All three of them enjoying the old company talking about everything and nothing. Seulgi had gotten into art school and doing absolutely well in it. Meanwhile Joy was in modelling school. All three of them busy under their workload so when the time allowed for them to meet up they would definitely cherish it.

 

Seulgi had stepped to the counter with a bottled water and smiled at Irene. That got Irene to look out and she saw that Wendy's head was on the table, passed out. "Is she drunk?"


Seulgi turned to look outside, "Oh, Wendy? No. She takes her liquor really well" she said timidly debating whether she should continue or not, "She's actually suffering from insomnia. It has been like that ever since her dad died. She would have trouble falling asleep because of a trauma I think?" seulgi mumbled scratching the back of her neck,  "she got the call that her dad died when she was asleep. And after that her mother had taken off when she was sleeping.. So I guess she just - I don't know, found it hard to sleep? That's why she was the top student in our grade back then. She couldn't sleep at night so she would often grab a book and finished it till morning. I'm sure she got some of the text book memorised with how much she reads it" seulgi chuckled bitterly, "but she would sleep better with some company. Knowing that we were there. But now.. That she's living alone.. We're just really worried for her"

 

 


Irene had texted her manager how she'd like to leave early today and how a colleague is here to take a place when she saw Wendy and her friends standing to take off.

Wendy waved Irene goodbye noticing that she was on the phone, ready to leave. She grabbed her tote bag and chased after Wendy.


When Irene opened the door she saw Wendy had already walked away and Irene chased after her grabbing her right sleeve, making the girl shift backwards.


"Wha- Irene what's wrong?"

 

 


"Take me to your home"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wow a time jump and an orphan Wendy? Damn author you are a beast! No with all due respect Wendy's parents are both alive and well I'm so sorry, for the story I had to go this direction. 3 chapters wow someone's excited, am I right? I hope some of you are still interested. I promise the next one would be longer. And thank you so much for the kind comments. I could care less about the up votes and subscribes, its the comments that means a lot to me. Thank you so much to those who reached here. Hope to see you guys soon!