Through Thick and Thin

Crossing the Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Tiffany

 

Taeyeon and I ended up in a precinct. The only thing that’s running through my mind is my credential. If this will be put on my record then I couldn’t apply to the school that I am aiming to.

 

 

“Tiff..I’m sorry. This is all my fault.” Taeyeon says. “Please, say something. I’m going to call my dad okay?” She informed.

 

 

“Please don’t. I--I can’t tell my dad Taeyeon. He will be furious. He can’t know about this.” I begged.

 

 

“We kind of have to Tiff, if we want to get out of jail.” She said.

 

“I can’t..I--i won’t..” I try to plead. The thought of what my parents will feel about this I could see their disappointment. I began to feel anxious as my anxiety began to heighten up.

 

A gentle hand rubs my back. “Tiff, breath,” Taeyeon said.

 

 

Lots of thoughts went through me. My parents, schools, people, my grades,.. “I can’t..” I suddenly feel that I’m trying to catch my breath. “Ta-Taeyeon..”

 

 

“I’m right here Tiff.” She said as she hugs me. “I won’t leave you.”

 

 

After some time I began to calm down when we heard the officer speak out. “Right this way Mr. Hwang.”

 

 

My Dad, they called him. They released me and Taeyeon and we ride in my Dad’s car. “I have nothing to say to you both right now. Get in the car.” He said sternly.

 

 

 

I’d never seen my Dad like this. I have seen him mad plenty of times but he wouldn’t even look at me in the eyes or acknowledge me.

 

 

We reach the house and we were about to go out. “Tiffany, stay in the car,” My Dad says.

 

 

 

Taeyeon might have felt the cold aura. “Samchon, this was  my fault she was just trying to help.” She said.

 

 

 

My Dad looks at us in the mirror. “Don’t you think you’ve done enough Taeyeon. This is my daughter and you put her in danger. Now get out.” He said with a loud voice.

 

 

Taeyeon felt she couldn’t argue anymore and so she left looking sorry for me. Once she’s gone he spoke again. “How could you be so irresponsible Tiffany? I told you couldn’t go, so instead, you sneak out—

 

 

 

“It wasn’t like—

 

 

“You don’t get to tell me what it was like,” He cut me off. “You broke the law. You got arrested. Now you need to deal with the consequences. Your Mom and I are not going to bail you out of this one Tiffany.”

 

 

 

“But what about Col—

 

 

 

He cut me off again. “One of us will drive you to and from school each day. Do you understand?”

 

 

 

“Ye yes Dad,” I answered crying. Accepting the fact that I don’t have any valid reason to respond to him.

 

 

 

I went to my room and shut the door. I guess my Dad will be the one to tell everyone what happens.

 

 

 

Morning came and I don’t have any energy to go to school thinking that it’s gonna be useless anyway.

 

 

“Tiffany are you ready for school?” My Mom asks.

 

 

“I’m not going,” I respond still lying on my bed.

 

 

 

“That’s not going to go over well with your father.” She responds.

 

 

I know that she’s also disappointed with me. “I can’t go Mom. Please don’t make me.” I plead.

 

 

She sigh. “Sweetheart, you have to go.”

 

 

“Why? There is no point.” I told her finally looking at her.

 

 

“Because we said so.” She crosses her arms. “I don’t think you are in any position to talk back to us. Now you get dressed before I have to get you Dad involved.”

 

 

I went to school and fixing my things in my locker when Taeyeon approach me.

 

 

“Tiff..” She called but I ignore her. “Talk to me Tiffany.”

 

 

“I have to go Taeyeon,” I respond.

 

 

 

Inside the class. I can’t focus. I feel anxious. I feel like everyone is looking at me, staring. I started to feel like I need to vomit.

 

 

“Ms Hwang, are you listening?” My professor asks.

 

 

 

“I--I’m sorry. Ca-can I use the restroom Miss?”

 

 

She looks at me while raising her eyebrow. “You can after you answer this question.”

 

 

I can’t..I feel like I can’t breath. “I--it’s emergency. I’m sorry.” I said not waiting for her response as I ran and went to the empty restroom stall and cry.

 

 

Few more minutes I heard someone barge in the door. “Tiffany, it’s me. I know you are here.” Taeyeon said.

 

 

“Leave me alone,” I said while sobbing.

 

 

She knocks on the door forcefully. “Open the door.”

 

 

“I’m fine,” I replied and open the door forcefully.

 

 

“You are not fine, you are shaking.” She responds holding my hands.

 

 

“And you are only making it worse,” I respond and remove my hands on her hold.

 

 

She hugs me tightly. “I’m not leaving you.”

 

 

And then I couldn’t hold back anymore as I began to cry again. “Ho--how’d you know I was here?”

 

 

“Yuri texted me.”

 

 

After she comforted me I feel a little better. “I’ve got to go Taeyeon, or I will be late for my next class.”

 

 

“Then I’m coming with you.” She said as she holds my hand.

 

 

“We’re not on the same class Taeyeon.”

 

 

“I don’t care.”

 

 

I sigh. “Thank you.”

 

 

“Hmm.”

 

 

 

Taeyeon

 

 

My parents give me a lot of sermon about what happened. I am grounded as well but unlike with Tiff, my parents are not that strict when it comes to punishment. I feel guilty for what happened with Tiffany, I try to approach her Dad again and told him what happen to take all the blame but he disregards my explanation and asks me not to middle with the way he handles the matter.

 

 

“How is she?” Yuri asks cutting me from my thoughts.

 

 

“I’ve never seen her like this,” I replied.

 

 

Jessica sigh. “I mean getting arrested has to be pretty scary,” she said.

 

 

 

“Sure, but she can’t live like this,” I respond.

 

 

“Give her some space Tae. She just needs time to process.” Jessica suggest.

 

 

“I hope so,” I replied.

 

 

I never saw tiffany at home as well. She didn’t join us at dinner. She wasn’t letting anyone in her room. I was scared. Samchon was too busy being upset that he didn’t even see how much Tiffany was hurting.  She avoided most everyone.  The only time I would see her was when I got a text from Yuri and would find her having a panic attack.

 

 

I know the only person that Tiffany can’t refuse talking is her younger sister. She loves her very much so I approach her trying to get some information. “Hey, Seohyun.”

 

 

“Hey, Unnie.” She said with a little smile on her face.

 

 

 

“How was your sister?” I ask.

 

 

“Sad I guess?” She responds looking sad as well. “Will she be okay? She added.

 

“Eventually. But she loves you so much. I’m depending on you to show how much we all love her.” I told her.

 

 

She smiles and that brings a little energy on her. “I will.”

 

 

“Here, don’t tell your Mom or Dad.” I gave her a box of doughnut. I know that it is one of Tiffany’s favourite comfort food. “But I figured you guys could have some treats and watch a movie later,” I suggest. “Make sure to share with her, okay?”

 

 

 

“I will. Thank you.” She smiles as she runs to Tiffany’s room.

 

 

 

The next day has passed. “She’s not coming down is she?” My Mom asks.

 

 

“I’m afraid not,” Imo said sadly.

 

 

“This is thanksgiving. We spend it all together.” Samchon responds without any hint of emotion.

 

 

“Sweetheart, we have bigger issues right now,” Imo said to him.

 

 

“Why don’t I bring her the food?” Seohyun suggests. “She’ll let me in.”

 

 

“That sounds like a good idea..why don’t you bring up both plates and you can eat in her room,” Imo said to her younger daughter. I know Tiffany’s Mom finally realizes what is happening with Tiffany. She started to be more aloft to everyone even at school. She always stays in her room once she got back from school.

 

 

“You can’t just give in to her Clodette,” Samchon told her wife.

 

 

“She needs to eat Stephen.” She replied also annoyed by his husband's comment. “We will discuss this after dinner. I’m going to go help Seohyun.” She added as she left the table.

 

 

I also feel disappointed and angry at how Tiffany’s Dad is treating her. I know that we made a mistake but it doesn’t mean she has to let us feel like we’re the worst person on earth. “I’m done with this,” I said and leave the table as well.

 

 

My Dad looks at me. “No, you are not. Go back to your chair Taeyeon.” My Dad commands. “No, I can’t stand all of you treating us like we committed the worst crime in the world,” I replied as I went to Tiffany’s room as well.

 

 

I find her Mom and sister at her door still convincing her to open the door for them.

 

 

“Sweetie, Seohyun brought you something to eat,” Imo called her.

 

 

“I’m not hungry,” She responds immediately. “Sorry, Seohyun ah. I’m just going to go to bed.”

 

 

“Imo, Is Tiffany okay?” I whisper.

 

 

“Seohyun dear, why don’t you have a shower and get ready for bed. I need to speak with Taeyeon real quick.” She asks her younger daughter and took the plate on her.

 

Seohyun leaves sadly feeling confused of what is really happening.

 

 

Imo sigh. “She’ll be okay.”

 

 

She said that but I know it’s not gonna happen soon as Tiffany is still hurting. “I know we are both grounded but can I just see her for a bit?” I ask.

 

 

 

“She’s not letting anyone in Taeyeon ah. She’s not spoken with me since we grounded her.” She said and sigh. “Let’s try,. Tiffany., Taeyeon wants to speak to you.” She called.

 

 

 

“Please just leave me alone,” Tiffany replied.

 

 

Imo looks dejected. “Sorry Tae.”

 

 

“She shouldn’t be grounded this is my fault,” I told her.

 

 

 

“You’re right it is.” Samchon said interrupting us.”But, she knew better, she snuck out of the house and she broke the law. She is old enough to know that wasn’t okay. It was dangerous and reckless. And against the law.” He commented.

 

 

“I know but I didn’t want to hurt her,” I respond feeling more motivated to defend Tiffany to her Dad.

 

 

“Well, it’s too late Taeyeon. I think it’s best you go to bed, it’s getting late.” He said with finality.

 

 

 

I went away and sneak into Tiffany’s room from the window. Good thing our room’s balcony is not that hard to climb in.

 

 

I snuck at her balcony’s door. “Oh my god! Taeyeon what are you doing here. Leave me alone.” She said surprised once I went inside her room.

 

 

“Keep it down. Or your Dad will probably kill me himself.”

 

 

“Then just leave.” She responds as she avoids my gaze and moves at the other side of her bed.

 

 

I sit on her bed. “I know you are scared..I know it was scary getting arrested. I know you hate disappointing your parents—

 

 

“No, you don’t!” She cut me off. “You don’t get it.” She said sobbing.

 

 

 

“Alright, I don’t get it! I don’t get it because you aren’t speaking to anyone. You aren’t telling me how you feel.”

 

 

“Don’t you yell at me.” She yells back. “You have no right to yell at me. You are the reason I went to jail. You’re the reason I am going to have that on my record.”

 

 

“I mean a girl that’s been to jail, that’s kind of hot,” I respond trying to lighten her mood with a little joked.

 

 

“Can you stop for a second Taeyeon?” She responds finally looking at me with those teary and red eyes. ”You’re the reason I won’t get into college.” She said and crying again.

 

 

“What do you mean?” I ask confuse.

 

 

“That’s going on my record and my parents said that I need to deal with the consequences.”

 

 

And then I finally realize why she is so affected by what happened. She’s aiming to get to a prestigious school and thinking that having a bad police record might affect her studies. “I’m sorry Tiff, I’m here. Please don’t cry.” I get into her bed and hug her.

 

 

 

“I have worked so hard for this Taeyeon. I was trying to be nice by picking you up. My parents aren’t being fair. I just need their help. I need them.” She told me crying.

 

 

 

“Ssshhh. Lay down and I will rub your back till you fall asleep okay?” I gave her my hoodie and sing her a song until she fell asleep. “You’re a good person. This will all work out.” I whisper to her.

 

 

 

That night. I decided to speak to her dad again and convince him that everything is my fault. If I have to go back to the police station and tell them that I am the only one who should be blamed then I will.

 

 

“Samchon?”

 

 

“Taeyeon, why are you awake?” He responds without looking at me and still reading.

 

 

“I talk to Tiffany,” I said and he immediately looks at me. “Look, I know you said I couldn’t step foot in her room ever again but I had to speak to her. I’ve never seen her like this and it’s my fault”

 

 

“And?”

 

 

 

“I know why she’s refusing to come out,” I told him.

 

 

 

“Maybe because her best friend was selfish and got drunk and instead of owning her mistakes she brought her down with her. You hurt my daughter Taeyeon. You put her in danger. You are like a daughter to me but no one makes my princess cry.” He finally said with the look of disappointment in his tone.

 

 

“I know. I know I messed up. A lot. But can you listen to me?”

 

 

“No, I don’t want to hear what you have to say.” He responds. I was about to answer him but her wife beats me on it.

 

 

“Stephen don’t be a jerk. She’s still a kid. What’s wrong with my Tiffany, Taeyeon?”

 

 

Good thing Imo was here as well. “She’s afraid since this arrest is going to go on her records and she won’t get into college,” I told them.

 

 

 

“We should never let that happen to her. Taeyeon, get some rest. I need to speak to Stephen. Let me handle this.” She responds.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Maybe she should have thought about the consequences before she broke the law,” Stephen said.

 

 

“Stephen this is our daughter’s future. Don’t be so rough on her. She’s a good kid.” Clodette responds.

 

 

“She got arrested for god's sake Clodette. If you want to get this off her record go for it.. But in this house, she is grounded for life.”

 

 

“You can be so stubborn sometimes,” Clodette argue.

 

 

“Just because I want what’s best for her that’s stubborn?”

 

 

“Yes!” Clodette responds and leave her husband alone with his thoughts. “Good night Stephen.”

 

 

 

 

Tiffany

 

I woke up feeling a little light after the talk that I have with Taeyeon. I didn’t mean to blame her for everything and I thank her for staying by my side despite that I’ve been pushing her away.

 

I’m sitting at my bed when my Mom came in. “Sweetheart, I’m going to drive you today. We need to talk.” She said.

 

 

“Mom, please I know I messed up. I don’t know what else you and Dad want. I know I messed up.” I cry when I hear her voice.

 

 

 She immediately hugs me and comforts me. “Ssshh. Sweetheart, it’s okay. Get dressed and ready. I promise I am not mad.”

 

 

“Okay.”

 

 

“Look Tiff. We love you. I’ve never been more scared than when I got that call that you were in jail. We were afraid something happened to you.” She said.

 

 

“I know Mom. I’m so sorry.”

 

 

“You made a mistake, that is part of being a teen, part of being a human. But you need to stop being hard on yourself. You were trying to help a friend in need and that’s the sweet girl I love. I know your father was harsh. He was just afraid. He was scared his baby was in trouble. I would never let this go on your record. But your Dad and I agreed you do need to deal with the repercussions.”

 

 

“Thank you, Mom and I understand.”

 

 

“You are still grounded. You go to school and straight back. And if we need babysitting during this time you are on duty.”

 

 

“I accept. I love you, Mom.”

 

 

“I love you too baby. Don’t cry, you need to go to school.”

 

 

“Again, thank you, Mom.”

 

 

I went to school and walk to my class. When I hear Taeyeon called me behind.

 

 

“Tiff, wait up,” Taeyeon ask. “What did your Mom say?”

 

 

“I can’t talk Tae..I am going to be late.” I replied.

 

 

“Hey, Tiff are you okay?” Yuri ask.

 

 

“Yeah..” I respond.

 

 

“If you need anything let me know.” Yuri said.

 

 

“Thanks.”

 

 

I was tidying up my books in my locker when I bump with Taeyeon. I was about to pass her when she blocks my way.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter