5/8 - Enjoying new routines

Blessings from the Past

*FRIDAY*

The next morning Chanyeol once again stood by the lockers with 3 cups of coffee. The same 'B', 'A', and 'L' were marked on the top, along with a smiley face on the one marked 'B'. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo walked up to the locker with smiles on their faces and immediately reached out for the drink of their choice. The brunet noticed the smiley face. "Why does only Kyungie get a smiley face?" 

The tall senior grinned. "Jongin called in our orders today, so I'm guessing he had something to do with it." Kyungsoo flushed and brought his cup up to his mouth to cover his smile.

Baekhyun grinned as well, then turned to Chanyeol. "Thanks again for this. I need it after how little sleep I got last night." He took a sip of his latte. "Ahhhh, yes."

The taller looked a little worried. "Did um.. did everyone have trouble sleeping at your house last night?" he asked carefully.

The brunet shook his head. "Oh no. Just me. I couldn't turn my brain off for some reason.." he sighed and took another sip of the hot liquid.

Chanyeol pulled his phone out. "Here, let's exchange numbers. Then when you can't sleep or something, you can text me and I can tell you useless things and bore you to sleep.." he grinned. 

The hazel-eyed boy grinned back. "You don't strike me as the boring type tho.." he said as he typed in his number.

The taller nodded. "Oh but I can be. Just let me start explaining how to change the oil and brakes on my car, or the names of all the bus stops on the line that goes from my house to the center of town. I'll have you yawning by the third sentence and snoring by the fifth!" 

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo burst out into raucous laughter, startling a couple of students walking by. Chanyeol grinned widely, proud that he made them both laugh so hard. He stood watching the brunet's happy expression. That head thrown back in laughter makes him even more beautiful. I have to remember whatever I said so I can repeat it later and see that beautiful smile again. This time Chanyeol wasn't sure if this was a déjà vu moment or a current thought. It might have been both, but it was true nonetheless. He happily took a drink of his coffee as the first bell of the morning echoed in the hallways.

Baekhyun handed the phone back to the taller as Kyungsoo closed the locker door. The owl-eyed boy nudged the brunet's shoulder. "C'mon. We gotta get to class." The two friends waved and walked away. Chanyeol waved back then turned and headed towards the library. He bowed politely as he passed two teachers in the hallway, and chuckled at their looks of confusion from seeing him inside the building so early.

After reaching the library and taking his usual spot, he pulled his phone out and looked at the new number. It took him a minute to figure out that instead of a name, Baekhyun had used an emoji. A [🐝] (bee emoji) sat cutely in place of his name. Chanyeol smiled, but then decided to edit it by adding a growing heart emoji to one side of the little insect. [💗🐝] Considering the way he was feeling about the beautiful brunet, it seemed appropriate.

For the next half hour the tall senior tried to read his book, but his mind kept wandering to the hazel-eyed boy. There was something about those déjà vu moments that were specifically linked to Baekhyun. Chanyeol just couldn't figure out the reason. 

He finally put his book down and took his phone, opening the contacts list again to look at the little emojis that sat in place of the name. He stared at the little bee with it's yellow and black stripes. Two distinctly different colors. The heart beside the insect distracting a little from the color scheme. Looking at the heart made the black parts on the bee look brown. The white wings with the darker outline showing the shape.

Chanyeol had a feeling he was missing something really important. He had just started going back over things in his mind when the bell rang to signal the end of the first period. He sighed. The heavy thinking would have to be used for class today. Taking his lanky legs back down off the table and slipping his phone into his pocket, he slung his backpack over one shoulder, picked up his coffee cup, and headed towards AP Calculus.

Walking into the classroom, Chanyeol saw the hazel-eyed boy and his friend already in their seats and having a hushed conversation as they looked at pictures on Baekhyun's phone. They both looked up when the lanky boy settled himself into his seat, but then Kyungsoo nudged his friend towards Chanyeol. Baekhyun flushed, then looked down at his phone and seemed to come to a decision. He typed something into his phone and then looked up at the tall senior expectantly. Within seconds, Chanyeol felt his phone vibrate with an incoming message. He grinned and looked down to open it. His grin became a soft smile soon as he saw the contents.

Instead of words, a picture was staring back up at him. A picture of Baekhyun, holding his son. The baby and parent had their faces turned towards each other, but a wide smile was easily visible on both of their faces. Judging by the shirt the brunet was wearing, the picture had apparently been taken the previous day.

Chanyeol looked back up, delight clearly showing on his face. Baekhyun smiled back, a little shy. Kyungsoo was smiling as well, but the tall senior didn't notice. All of his attention was centered on the beautiful boy that was looking at him so sweetly. Baekhyun had trusted him with a picture of his son. Chanyeol wasn't exactly sure why, but this made him very happy. 

The teacher began the class but the lanky boy had a hard time concentrating. By the end of the period he couldn't say what material had been covered in the day's lesson, but he knew exactly how many times he had looked over at the hazel-eyed boy. It was enough to have that sweet smile turn into shy blushing. So much so the teacher became distracted but chose to not say anything. After all, smiling students were better than sleeping ones.

When the class let out, Chanyeol once again walked with the other two, holding the door open for them as they all left the room. Before they split ways again Kyungsoo spoke up. "We'll be getting lunch for you guys today since you bought coffee two days in a row for us. Just wait at the tree and we'll bring it." The tall senior was surprised but didn't get a chance to protest as the two boys waved goodby and walked off towards their next class. Chanyeol shook his head and chuckled, then pulled his phone out and texted Jongin quickly before heading to his last class of the morning.

When the bell rang to end the third period Chanyeol was surprised to see the basketball player waiting for him as he came out into the hallway. "What made them decide we needed to have lunch bought for us today?" the brown-haired boy asked. 

The taller chuckled. "I guess they figured it was only fair, since we splurged for morning caffeine..?" 

"Yeah but we can afford it.. I don't think any less of them for it, but it makes me feel bad they're spending money on us."

"Well you know they can probably afford it too -- after all they ARE attending the same expensive school as we are.." Chanyeol raised his eyebrows at his friend.

Jongin instantly protested. "I know! I know! I didn't mean it like that.."

By now the two had come to the large tree in the commons area. The taller turned to his friend. "Tell you what.. Let's ask them to dinner this weekend. You and I will pay for their meal. Like a double date.." 

The basketball player nodded enthusiastically. "Yes! I love that idea! Just the four of us-"

"Four?" Baekhyun asked, walking up with his arms full of food. "Is Jongin joining our music project too?" 

Jongin had gone over to help Kyungsoo with the drinks in his arms, but at the question he looked a little confused. "Music project? Oh, isn't that what you were texting me about last night Yeol?"

Chanyeol had noticed all the sandwiches were the same so he had already begun taking them out of Baekhyun's arms and dividing them up among the four of them. He responded to Jongin's question as they all settled on the ground in a circle under the tree.  "Yes I told Jongin about the music project, but no that's not what we were talking about when you guys got here just now." 

The two shorter boys looked at the tallest expectantly. He smiled. "Jongin and I would like to take you two out to dinner. Maybe even this weekend, if you're up for it."

Kyungsoo looked surprised and his cheeks turned a pretty light pink. But Baekhyun looked dissapointed. "I have a regular obligation on Saturday evenings and I have a job where I work a 10-hour shift on Sundays and a 4-hour shift on Wednesday evenings." he said.

The two taller boys were obviously surprised. "Wow! I didn't know you had a job. That's amazing that you do that while still in high school and studying and have a social life and everything!" Jongin said. Chanyeol nodded in agreement. It had to be rough, especially adding to the situation of Baekhyun having a child to take care of as well. He had to be exhausted. Every day the tall senior learned more and more about the hazel-eyed boy and it only made his interest grow stronger and stronger. 

Baekhyun swallowed a drink of his orange juice before he responded. "Actually, I haven't had much of a social life for the past couple of years.."

"You've had a job that long?" Jongin asked.

"Well, basically.. yeah." the brunet exchanged a glance with his owl-eyed friend.

Kyungsoo smoothly changed the subject. "So what about you..?" he addressed the basketball player. "Being at practice so much and then school and studying.. It must be hard having a busy social life too, huh?" 

Chanyeol realized what the dark-headed boy was doing, and he spoke up to help. "Are you kidding? This boy is so popular but he doesn't accept any invitations to parties cause he says they're boring!" he clapped his friend on the shoulder, grinning widely. 

Jongin rubbed at his offended shoulder. "Hey..! Nobody interesting ever goes to those parties, and ever since you stopped going two years ago I didn't have anyone to hang out with there!" he growled good-naturedly at his tall friend.

Baekhyun suddenly choked on a bite of his sandwich. Kyungsoo scrambled to whack him on the back a couple of times and Jongin leaned across the circle to look at him with concern.

Chanyeol watched the whole scene as his brain turned. There was no déjà vu moment this time, but he had the same feeling from before like there was something he was missing and he just didn't quite know what it was.  He watched as Baekhyun took a drink of orange juice, nervous eyes meeting his over the top of the bottle. Chanyeol lifted his own orange juice and took a drink. The brunet put his drink back down and smiled gratefully at his owl-eyed friend. "I'm alright.." he said. He looked up and smiled reassuringly at the other two boys in their little group. 

"So are you looking forward to having a kinda real game tomorrow?" Baekhyun asked Jongin.

The basketball player grinned. "Oh YEAH! The season starts next week, but it feels like we've been practicing for 10 years! It's gonna be great having people there to cheer for us instead of just coach's whistle and half-assed clapping!" The boys all laughed and the rest of their lunch period was spent chatting about the upcoming game.

However, by the time Chanyeol made it to Music Appreciation, he had a headache. Throughout the previous class he had acted like he was taking notes and paying attention, but in truth he actually was going over the events of the past week. His mind was a jumbled mess of déjà vu moments, beautiful smiles, interesting coincidences, hidden truths, and known facts. All of it seemed to be slowly adding up, but he felt like there was one or two pieces of the puzzle missing to complete the picture. The mixed metaphors alone were driving him crazy. 

As the tall senior walked into the classroom, he saw that Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were already in their seats.The hazel-eyed boy looked up at Chanyeol, and the light shone off the thin metal rim of his glasses. The taller squinted at this as he sat down, his head throbbing a little, and Baekhyun seemed to notice. The brunet leaned over towards him. "Hey.. You OK..?" he asked with concern. The angle he was leaning over made his glasses slip down his nose a little, and Chanyeol blinked at him for a second before responding.

"Yeah.. just a headache, that's all." he said, giving a small smile. "I'll be fine.." He tried to sound reassuring but Baekhyun didn't seem convinced. The boy got up and stood behind the taller, putting his fingertips on Chanyeol's temples and hairline with just a little pressure and moving them in small circles. The lanky senior melted under his touch. "Ohmygod that feels good..." Chanyeol purred. His eyes closed involuntarily to the massage.

The boy standing behind him chuckled. "I'm glad that feels good to you.."

Chanyeol's eyes flew open. I'm glad that feels good to you baby. I want you to feel good. This wasn't a déjà vu moment, this was a memory. He might have been drunk, but he knew he had said those words two years ago. That night. With that boy.

Chanyeol drew in a shakey breath and turned around, moving away from the smaller's hands. "Thanks, I think that helped." he smiled in what he hoped was a convincing manner. Baekhyun seemed surprised but smiled back and went back over to his seat. Kyungsoo was watching the whole scene, and he deliberately caught Chanyeol's eye as the brunet was sitting back down. His subtle knowing smirk was a little unnerving for the tall senior, who turned facing forward as the bell rang to signal the start of class. 

The teacher had decided to show the class a 45 minute documentary on the importance of music in the Renaissance period, pausing every once in a while to ask questions and emphasize specific points. The overhead lights were mercifully turned off for most of the period. Chanyeol took the opportunity to rest his eyes as much as possible although he didn't sleep. He successfully answered questions two different times and the teacher didn't seem to mind that he kept his head propped against the wall the whole time. By the end of the class the headache was mostly gone.

When the bell rang he turned around and deliberately waited for Baekhyun and Kyungsoo before walking out of the classroom. They made their way through the noisy hallway to the shorter boys' shared locker then Chanyeol pulled out his phone. "I'm going to send my address to Baekhyunee so you guys will know where to come tomorrow. Can you get there around noon?" he asked as he began to type. 

The brunet nodded. "Sure!"

Kyungsoo smirked. "Noon sounds good for me. And I'll be sure to get the address from 'Baekhyunee'.." 

The brunet colored prettily as he whacked his friend good naturedly on the shoulder. Chanyeol made a mental note to send a text apologizing for the nickname later.  At that moment the blushing boy's pocket blinged as his phone alerted to an incoming message. He checked the message as Kyungsoo looked over his shoulder. Both boys then looked up and smiled in confirmation.

The tall senior smiled back. "Great! So I'll see you tomorrow then.." He waved and then walked away toward the side exit door. 

Baekhyun turned back towards the locker as Kyungsoo grinned at him. "Not gonna watch him and sigh as he walks away today?" the dark-headed boy teased his friend. The brunet whacked his friend's shoulder again. "No~!" he said sheepishly, his face turning pinker.

The two friends placed their books into the locker then left the building, bickering and laughing the whole way.

 

Later that evening after dinner Chanyeol helped his mother by drying and putting away the dishes she was washing. They had a housekeeper that came on weekdays to help keep the house clean and sometimes cook, but Mrs. Park preferred to do most of the daily chores herself when she could. Mr. Park worked full time, but even he was known to help fold laundry from time to time. They raised Chanyeol to understand how to do these things and to appreciate the opportunity to complete a job well-done. The tall senior was close with both his parents, and his mother always knew when he had something on his mind.

"It's hard to believe the first month of your senior year is already over..." Mrs. Park said as she rinsed a dish and handed it to her son.

The lanky boy smiled. "Yeah. I already have my first big assignment to work on too." 

"Really? What subject is it in?" she asked.

"Music Appreciation." His mother made a noise of understanding as Chanyeol continued. "Actually, I have two friends coming over to work on it with me tomorrow."

"Oh that's nice..!" Mrs.Park commented, handing the tall boy a freshly rinsed glass. "Is Jongin one of those friends?"

Her son grinned. "No, but one of them is a boy that Jongin's been interested in for a long time. I recently got them to start talking and it's looking good for them.."

"Oh My! Our shy Nini might get a boyfriend.. I bet he's happy about that!" she laughed.

Chanyeol laughed along as he carefully dried another glass and put it in the cabinet. "Yep! He's been on cloud nine this whole past week.."

"So the other friend that's coming over.. do I know them?"

"No, but I want both of them to meet you. They will be here a lot working on the assignment with me over the next couple of months." 

"Oh I see.." She thought out loud as she washed the last plate. "What time will they be here? Should I make some cookies for snacks or anything?"

"They're coming at noon. I figured we'd order pizza for lunch, but your cookies would be a nice snack to have as well. After lunch we're only gonna do a couple hours of work on the project. Nini has a scrimmage game at the school that starts at 3 o'clock and we're all planning to go." Chanyeol explained as he finished putting the plate in the cabinet.

"Oh! I'd better vaccuum the music room tonight then. I can whip up a batch of cookies tomorrow morning." his mother said as she rinse out the soap residue from the sink. 

"I can vaccuum Mom, it's OK.. Um.. there's something else I wanted to tell you tho.."

Mrs. Park dried her hands on a kitchen towel and then turned, giving him her full attention. Chanyeol suddenly felt nervous for some reason. He cleared his throat and leaned against the kitchen counter, looking down at the floor. "This other friend.. is.. well.." 

"..Special to you..?" his mother asked gently as she watched her son fidgit. 

Chanyeol nodded. "But not only that. I wanted to.. let you know something he probably doesn't want you to know yet." 

"Darling, if he doesn't want people to know, then-" 

"No. He does want you to know.. he just doesn't know how you'll react. And this is important." The tall boy took a deep breath. His mother waited patiently for him to continue. "He's.. He's like Jongin's mother was.. when Nini was born.."

"Oh!" Mrs. Park gasped. "And so young..!"

Chanyeol nodded as he looked up through his lashes at his mother. "He's trying his best. I didn't know how to tell him that you would totally understand. I just tried to reassure him and told him it's ok to bring his baby here when he comes over if he wants. It's a safe place for both of them."

"Yes it is! But.. does the other person coming know about this child?"

The tall boy smiled. "They've been good friends for a long time and I suspect Kyungsoo has been one of the few people that has known about Baekhyun's baby from the beginning."

"Baekhyun.. hmm.." his mother smiled then got a twinkle in her eye. "What color is his hair..?"

"MO~Mm!!" Chanyeol turned bright red. "You said you wouldn't talk about that!" he protested. He couldn't help smiling at his now laughing mother. It had been two years, so he couldn't blame her.

After a full week of restless nights and uneven dreaming after the party two years ago, Chanyeol had turned to his mother to help him figure out how to start getting sleep again. Even without getting too much information his smart mother had figured out that her little boy had fallen in love. The woman's patience had been rewarded when the boy finally explained a little of why he had been losing sleep. The description of the beautiful person was not very detailed, but the subject of blonde hair had been carefully avoided by both parents from that point forward. Chanyeol counted himself lucky to have such understanding parents.