last chapter + epilogue: fin

white rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Minjoo looked at the mirror soulessly, eyeing her own reflection without any emotion present on her godly face, just staring at her own self while Hitomi gently combed her long hair— giving her worried looks from time to time on the mirror, but she just ignored it.


 

It’s been four days since the war ended, and four days ever since… Minjoo learned about Yujin’s unfortunate death.


 

The people of Beairterre were in great shock upon learning that a great wolf warrior and Ahn clan’s successor and pride, got killed by some filthy rebels. They didn’t even get to celebrate their win and mostly mourned. Until now, all of them were still surprised that someone managed to kill Yujin, an Ahn herself. Some townspeople got mad over it, saying that the new generation of the Ahn clan are weak and useless— they expected a lot from Yujin but the warrior died in her first fight in a war, which is the same reason why the Ahn clan got criticism and got shamed a lot.


 

But the whole Ahn clan don’t care about their words anymore, they are still silent and still grieving over their loss. Until now, most of them stayed at their camp, except for the General himself. He still had some duties so he had to go back to the palace sometimes.


 

Apparently, they didn’t get to send Yujin’s body home since it fell into the nearby cliff alongside with the other enemies who killed her, she managed to kill the ones who killed her by tugging them with her into the deep ocean before her last breath. They never recovered the body as the sea level is too high and deep, and a lot of dead warriors were thrown there also. It was believed that some big sea creature ate some dead bodies alongside Yujin's and Minjoo couldn’t accept it.


 

Minjoo couldn’t even bring herself to go to the Ahn’s, she stayed at her room and never once stepped outside again after she stormed out of the palace ground that very day Seungjin broke out the sad news for her. She’s too busy weeping and wailing, crying for Yujin’s name every minute until she couldn’t bring herself to shout and call for her lover anymore.


 

Minjoo even thought that she doesn’t have any tears left anymore. She just kept crying and crying until her body would fail her and put her to sleep. She doesn’t have the strength to eat anymore, she only ate once ever since, and that was when General Ahn paid her a visit, trying to comfort her and all. She would eat a spoonful and a piece of fruit but after that, she would just stare at it and just cry instead because everything reminds her of Yujin.


 

Her heart, it’s long gone, it’s broken into million pieces and no one could fix it anymore except for Yujin herself and her insanity too. But how? When Yujin is gone now. No one would be able to fix her anymore. No one.


 

Everyone in the palace knows how broken she is. And they pity and understand the princess. After all, Yujin was a great friend of hers, but behind closed doors, to Minjoo— Yujin was more than a friend, more than a lover. She was her soulmate.


 

Fortunately, her parents respected and gave her space and time to mourn but obviously, they don’t like how Minjoo literally locked herself up, not wanting to talk to anyone. The King and Queen themselves would visit and lecture Minjoo that she should collect herself up and accept Yujin’s tragic death because her wedding with Hyunjin will be held soon and she couldn’t be in such a state like this.


 

Those were the times Minjoo wanted to shout at them but she was too tired, too exhausted, too broken to do anything so she let them. She doesn’t care anymore. She wouldn't be able to accept that her lover is gone, and won’t go back to her anymore. She doesn’t care anymore even if her parents and Hyunjin kept pressuring her about the marriage that will happen so soon.


 

At first, Minjoo had this light ray of small hope— that maybe, maybe— Yujin is still alive and would go back to her. But as each day passes, that small hope starts to vanish slowly. She doesn’t know what to do anymore. Her purpose and will to continue to live on also lost.


 

Looks like she will live like this… huh, she never knew that it’s possible to live while having your heart broken and soul out of your own body. Minjoo feels empty, even.


 

Hitomi finally finished combing her hair and started to tie it up. Obviously, the handmaiden is also sad and mourning— after all, she’s close with Yujin too. But she’s more than worried for Minjoo, she knew something more is going on between the guard and the princess but she didn’t say anything and just supported them silently.


 

“She said she will be back, she promised,”


 

The handmaiden stopped her movements, slowly turning her head to meet Minjoo’s emotionless gaze through the mirror. Her heart ached a bit upon hearing the princess’ broken voice.


 

Hitomi gulped, finishing Minjoo’s hair and crouched in front of the soulless princess. “Princess…” She whispered, holding Minjoo’s cold hand and gave it a gentle squeeze to reassure her. Hitomi promised herself she would be with Minjoo’s side until the end.



 

“She promised… And she broke it.” Minjoo whispered, emotionless eyes glancing down to the kneeling maid, her lips quivering and it was a sign that she will break down soon. Hitomi held her tightly.


 

“How dare she,” She muttered under her breath, tears forming in her eyes. Hitomi just stared intently at Minjoo’s cold yet glossy eyes, trying to comfort her with her presence. “How dare she…” Minjoo’s voice trailed off, and hung her head low.


 

“How dare she leave me like this?” The princess whispered brokenly, and the handmaiden could feel her trembling so she stood up and hugged Minjoo— lending her shoulders to cry on. After a few moments, she could already hear Minjoo sobbing loudly and then, the dampening of her shoulder but she paid no mind to it and comforted the crying and broken princess, patting her back gently and softly.


 

Hitomi is the only one who could understand Minjoo so well, alongside Hyewon and Yena.


 

“I love her so much, Hitomi. I don’t know what to do anymore.” Minjoo whispered, and the maid tightened her hug. Hitomi could feel how hurt and broken the princess is, and it made her pained too.


 

“I know, I know,” Hitomi whispered, gently hushing her down while patting her back softly to calm her down and somehow, it worked. Minjoo’s cries started to fade but she still kept sniffling. After that, silence, the princess was not even moving anymore and Hitomi took a deep breath before gathering her remaining strength to carry the sleeping princess to her bed.


 

Gently laying her down and tucking her in the bed, Hitomi stared at Minjoo’s sleeping figure before wiping the remaining tears away from her cheeks and sighed. She noticed Minjoo’s scary weight loss, her paleness, and dark bags under her eyes.


 

Minjoo is really suffering.


 

With one last glance, Hitomi silently went out of the room and closed the door, giving Hyewon a look. The guard just looked at her with tired eyes, obviously worried for the princess too.


 

The handmaiden then went on her way, not forgetting to mumble a curse under her breath.


 

“Just why do you have to ing die Ahn Yujin? You left the princess so heartbroken like this. Stupid weak wolf. I will strangle you the moment we met in heaven someday.”


 


 

“Minjoo,” The King’s voice boomed through the spacious room, eyes glaring at the figure laying down on the bed. Obviously, he’s not pleased or happy, he’s furious upon seeing the state of his daughter— still weeping and weak because her friend died. “Fix yourself properly. The wedding will happen tomorrow and you shouldn’t be acting like this. I already tolerated you but this is enough.” He said angrily, his wife tried to calm him down but to no avail.


 

The lonely princess just looked over her pillow and briefly glanced at her angry father with cold eyes and then closed her eyes, not bothered.


 

“KIM MINJOO!” He shouted which made the people inside the room flinch but Minjoo did not react, keeping her eyes closed. “If you won’t stand up there and wear your gown, I will drag you by myself.” He hissed.


 

They need to fix Minjoo’s gown again because obviously, Minjoo lost a lot of weight so they need to adjust it but the princess couldn’t care less. She might as well kill herself tonight or something. Whatever.


 

With that, the princess opened her eyes and sat up, meeting her father’s furious eyes. “How scary,” She muttered sarcastically, and slipped away from her bed and walked to the bathroom. She couldn’t even bring herself from fearing her own father, she’s this numb.


 

She fixed herself in the bathroom, and finally complied, things might get pretty ugly and she doesn’t want Hitomi to see such brutality so might as well comply, she doesn’t have any soul anymore anyway, even heart. All of them are long gone, going with Yujin to wherever she might be now. And because of that thought, Minjoo almost broke down in the bathroom, she just collected herself when she heard Hitomi’s worried and soothing yet muffled voice from outside and with that, she finally went out.


 

Her eyes roamed around, seeing no presence of her father nor her mother. Lucky her. But Prince Hyunjin remained, sitting at the chair while staring at her intently but Minjoo just gave him a blank look before stepping on the platform and the tailors finally moved.


 

After a while, finally, it was done and so, the tailors excused themselves away and Minjoo was relieved because she could finally lay down and probably cry about Yujin again but then, a figure caught her eyes. It’s Hyunjin, he’s still here and Minjoo couldn’t help but to snark.


 

“Why are you still here? It’s finally done.” The princess asked with a plain tone which made Hyunjin stand up, walking to her closer with an unreadable expression.


 

“Minjoo,” He suddenly said then looked at Hitomi, giving her a sign and the maid immediately went out after bowing but Minjoo’s eyes narrowed with that yet she kept shut. He took a deep breath first before looking at the unamused princess again. “You do know the wedding will be held tomorrow, right? Please, act nicely and properly. Your behavior and appearance might cause ruckus tomorrow.” He scolded but Minjoo just stared at him with a pointed look.


 

“Please, do it for your parents, for the nation, for me…” Hyunjin said with a firm tone which made Minjoo’s lips twitch, annoyed. “Yujin wouldn’t be happy if she would see you like this in the wedding.” He added and Minjoo bit out a snarl and remark, just huffing.


 

Tss, even if she’s alive, she wouldn’t like me seeing getting married off with you. She would kidnap me before I could even take a step inside the chapel…


 

“So please…” Hyunjin begged, pursing his lips before finally saying it again. “Don’t act like you lost your greatest love or something.” He said and it made the princess slacken her jaw. What does he know? For sure, he would cry the moment she says that she indeed lost her greatest love.


 

“Get yourself together. Yujin will not be happy and be at peace if you keep doing this.” Hyunjin said with a bitter tone and leaned in, pressing a kiss on the corner of her lips. Minjoo didn’t move, she’s too busy thinking to even do anything.


 

With that, Hyunjin went away and the moment after that, Hitomi went in and ran to her, checking if she’s okay. “I’m not okay,” She muttered her answer tiredly and went to her bed, tucking herself under the covers once again and Hitomi just heaved a sigh. “I’ll be going out now then, I’ll be back with your dinner later.” She muttered and silently went out after Minjoo had nodded as a response.


 

The moment she closed the door, and was about to go on her way, she saw Hyewon running towards her with a hurried look. “Hyewon?” She asked, Hyewon panted a bit and straightened her back before she spoke. “Hitomi, come with me, it’s urgent.” She said with a serious tone which made the handmaiden nervous a bit.


 

Hyewon took another intake of breath. “We need your help.”


 


 

Minjoo found herself looking at her own reflection in the mirror again. She traced her own features with her own gaze. Of course, she could see the changes, the scary changes.


 

Yujin used to trace it with her loving gaze and fingertips, but now, she wouldn’t be able to do it anymore and it broke Minjoo. She clenched her fists and tried not to cry, she saw how pathetic she looked at the mirror so she just stared at the open window, showing the beautiful full moon and starry sky. She silently prayed for Yujin’s soul.


 

Her eyes then went to the presented wedding dress near the closet, she watched it glimmer. She wanted to rip it into pieces but she couldn’t bring herself to do it, how cruel can she be? She shouldn’t pass her anger and hatred to the poor dress.


 

She gulped down and stared at the butterfly hairpin resting on her palm, it brings back good memories and she wanted to be back to those times. She just badly wanted to go back to the past.


 

She then stayed like that, staring at the pin and caressing it gently as her mind wanders to the past, something she would always do to make her distracted— somehow. She doesn’t know what to do anymore, for real. Yujin wouldn’t appreciate it if she would ever follow her to where she might be right now. Come what may, Yujin’s voice would suddenly enter her mind.


 

Maybe, those thoughts were the reason why she’s still continuing in this dull life.


 

She continued wondering like that until the night got deeper, and colder. She took a deep breath and then suddenly, she felt something. A shadow coming from the window and then, a figure easily slipped inside Minjoo’s room without a hassle or a noise. The princess witnessed it with her peripheral vision but she couldn’t even do anything and let the intruder do .


 

Hopefully this one will finally take her life instead. She would even thank them. She snorted and straightened her posture when she could feel the nearing of the figure and placed the pin on the table.


 

A smile curved up into her lips, trying to look at the black figure getting closer through the mirror. “Please,” She muttered with a smile. “Kill me faster.” She added with a smirk.


 

The figure stopped, seemingly surprised yet confused. Minjoo couldn’t see the person’s face or anything because they’re wearing a huge black cloak. “Ain’t this a wonderful thing?” She suddenly asked with a small smile but the figure didn’t move. “I’ll finally meet her again. Tsh, why did you not come sooner? But whatever, let me stop blabbering and just kill me already.” She muttered and readied herself, just waiting for the pain and blackness to take over her.


 

However, the person didn’t move and it annoyed the princess, she just wanted herself dead so she could follow her lover but this person is taking so long to pierce their knife to her chest or throat. “What are you waiting for—”


 

“Minjoo.”


 

The princess froze upon hearing a very hoarse yet lovely voice. The same voice that kept haunting her dreams and daydreams. The voice that she wouldn’t get tired of hearing every time. The voice she badly wanted to hear and missed.


 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter